Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomiti Superski 2022/23

Poster: A snowHead
Pretty much everything open with 400 lifts and 1200kms of runs covered by the Super Dolomiti lift pass. Just over 3 weeks of the Sella Ronda season left. Four weeks elsewhere.
GEFS outlook is warm but predominantly dry out to the last week of March. Max temperature at 1400m getting up to about 9c but freezing overnight. Humidity look low so the snow should be ok.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Did the top up improve people's experience of ski conditions?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Skied Seiseralm yesterday and Val Gardena/ Val di Fassa today. Snow conditions were better than I’d been expecting. Seiseralm was a bit hard packed and wind blown. The area above Plan de Gralba and Col Rodella, however, was very good this morning and did feel like it had benefited from the recent 5/10 cm of snow. Got a bit slushy after lunch but nothing too bad. Nowhere was very crowded
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Did the green Sellaronda today. Piste in good shape especially in the morning. Fun!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Any updates on snow and weather conditions from those out in the area now please? Selva one possibility for me next week.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It’s typical for now, and that means AM is good and PM is so-so. Coverage is still good, no rocks so far.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
And as I mentioned on another thread, pay close attention to aspect.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Did the green Sellaronda route today starting from Alba. Great snow conditions until just after midday, but we were almost back to the Belvedere bowl by then. We skied a number of runs in the bowl mid to late afternoon and the snow is holding up well there.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Scooter in Seattle wrote:
And as I mentioned on another thread, pay close attention to aspect.

+1
At Kronplatz today.
Wonderful in the morning from an early start.
By lunchtime (12:00 noon) aspect really mattered with slopes in full sun very soft and by mid afternoon it was very soft low down in the sun.
Not many folk about thought so the pistes are holding up remarkably well.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Been staying in Colfosco this week. Today went over to Dantercepies with a nine o clock start so not late, the red slopes down to Selva already cutting up when we got there. Saslong after coffee is heavy and lumpy. Unless high and north facing, one spends much time shifting slushy snow around!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Oh dear - it's been a bad year all round
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I had a week at the start of March. Excellent conditions for 4 days then it got too warm and bumped up badly but still managed 60km each day. It was March. It was fine.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Heading to passo del tonale and its looking pretty bad. Kids first times skiing so will try to still have a positive time but hoping at least for some cold temps for snow cannons for the beginner areas in town

If any snowheads about and want to meet up message snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Lost in the trees, I think the kids will still love it as they don't know any better, and it will be warm. Gravity and snow, slushy or otherwise, will still be fun. I'm sure Passo is beautiful so think of part of it as a Spring alpine holiday, go for walks etc, the mountains can be beautiful when they're waking up for the Summer. Also, just being on ski lifts etc is great fun for them.

Be positive you'll get better conditions in the future!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
https://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en/Open-lifts
Everything still open on the Sella Ronda. Looks like the next 4 or 5 days are quite cool but a bit windier. A dusting of new snow showing on the webcams today. Temps recovering a bit by the end of March. Just over 2 weeks of the season left and 4 at Kronplatz.

Looks as though it may end up being a really successful season in terms of skier numbers and presumably spending, particularly if they can get good weather over Easter as well Cool
snow conditions
Popped into PdT last weekend on way back from Madonna and whilst south facing slopes look a bit bleak the north and east facing stuff is holding up well
Yes it was soft from mid morning on sunny aspects but actually for beginners it’s slow snow and doesn’t hurt to fall on so not bad at all. Some bits above PdL holding up well too in the trees. Plus PdL is a lovely town to potter around and grab a meal in the evening sun.
BTW was impressed by quality of food at the self service restaurant up in the bowl at the top of the valley
snow report
We are headed to Selva on 1st April.

I was just going to rent some piste skis to save the faff of transporting - but based on current conditions - would I be better off bringing my own all mountain skis (85 mm underfoot) to cope with the softer conditions later in the day ?

Not sure what selection the hire shop has in AM...
snow report
I had the same dilemma and opted for the all mountain skis and it was a good decision I think given volume of chop in between crisper higher/northerly slopes
Some nice corduroy early from freeze thaw made me wish for carvers but only lasted for first hour
snow conditions
To the Dolomites regulars ... we (family of 2 adults and 2 active teenagers) are planning to visit the area in the summer (we are driving from the UK) and are looking for a good base for 7-10 days. We usually spend our summers in Les Gets and Morzine but we love Italy and its people, culture, food etc / we all fancy a change.

We'd love to stay in a vibrant village / small town with a couple of piazzas, nice restaurants, shops, events and an outdoor pool if at all possible etc. We enjoy hiking, MTBing, rafting etc.

We might decide to take our 2 dogs too so we'd rather go down the self-catering route.

Any recommendations and advice for a) a suitable base and b) modern self-catering accommodation would be very very welcome.

Thank you.
snow conditions
dgschof wrote:
Popped into PdT last weekend on way back from Madonna and whilst south facing slopes look a bit bleak the north and east facing stuff is holding up well
Yes it was soft from mid morning on sunny aspects but actually for beginners it’s slow snow and doesn’t hurt to fall on so not bad at all. Some bits above PdL holding up well too in the trees. Plus PdL is a lovely town to potter around and grab a meal in the evening sun.
BTW was impressed by quality of food at the self service restaurant up in the bowl at the top of the valley

Is that the resteraunt at 3000m or mid station on the glacier...or one of the other side PDT?

Thank you all for encouragement. Were all positive and will be great fun and ski/walk/swim/mooch about town

I was just a bit gutted watching cams and forecasts last few weeks and been spoilt with snow for myself many times. It's all good and the sporting hotel seems excellent.
latest report
Should have been clearer - Malga Valbiolo on opposite side to glacier
Hope u have brilliant trip
snow report
It’s been a brilliant morning at Kronplatz today. A good freeze last night has worked wonders.
Starting to get soft now so I am pausing for the day. Snow forecast this afternoon and the start of next week looks very promising indeed. Temperatures of -10 or so overnight and sub zero all day.
snow report
@ Lost in the trees. We are heading to Passo del Tonale on Monday. How is the skiing? We are beginners and intermediate skiers and were hoping to use the blues near the town. Are they using the snow cannons? Hope you and the family are having a lovely holiday
ski holidays
If it works here's some photos from PdT

The snow is disappearing on south slopes (but skiable) but looks like winter still on glacier presena.

latest report
@Lost in the trees, thinking of Dolomites this time next year (Easter is early) with the kids. You happy enough? Given that its been a pretty bad snow year there I would think if you and yours are enjoying it now I should get on ok next year
snow conditions
8611 wrote:
@Lost in the trees, thinking of Dolomites this time next year (Easter is early) with the kids. You happy enough? Given that its been a pretty bad snow year there I would think if you and yours are enjoying it now I should get on ok next year

Have only been to gressoney and montgenvre in Italy before so can only speak about passo del tonale not other areas but PdT is okay still in a bad year yes. Theres a flat ish blue in the middle of the glacier which would at least allow laps for learning and a red too. The top black and to a less extent bottom black are both really quite steep in the glacier. Almost all the lessons are on the gentle slopes other side. If you add in ponte de legno forest and temu there's a fair bit of terrain. They have snow canons about though I've not seen any on.

Theres also night ski 2 evenings which is a first and kids might enjoy.

The sporting hotel has a soft play, kids club, pool and slides. Very kid friendly for my 15 month baby and 7 year olds first time.
Evolution ski school also good.
snow report
Super, enjoy the rest of the trip
ski holidays
@Lost in the trees
Thanks so much for the photos and taking the time to respond. Looks like you are having a great holiday. We are thinking of going to Montgenevre next February. How does it compare to passo?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lbyrne wrote:
@Lost in the trees
Thanks so much for the photos and taking the time to respond. Looks like you are having a great holiday. We are thinking of going to Montgenevre next February. How does it compare to passo?

I did one day there as part of the snowheads off piste bash in serre Chevalier. Montgenvre is cheaper and tastier than neighbouring France. Seemed like a big ski area but cant remember the altitude. Feb should be fine though...serre Chevalier has lots of off snow activities and is amazing
latest report
Current state of PdT blues (40cm ice or slush then the presena black...and glacier runs around 90cm snow still

snow conditions
Lbyrne wrote:
@ Lost in the trees. We are heading to Passo del Tonale on Monday. How is the skiing? We are beginners and intermediate skiers and were hoping to use the blues near the town. Are they using the snow cannons? Hope you and the family are having a lovely holiday

Some tips I can passo on. Viabolo chair has a nice blue, a playground and a resteraunt. They take pedestrian and baby on that chair (only chair).

Night skiing on valena is 8:30 Tues and Thurs and you are the last week of night skiing if that interests you snowHead

The blue and red in the middle of presena glacier are nice and will have good snow. Couple of restaurant's too. Pedestrian access too.

Can recommend evolution ski school. The sled dog husky off the blue between PdT and ponte Di legno looks a fun thing for kids but had no availability for us this week.

Have fun snowHead
ski holidays
@ Lost in the trees Really helpful information. Thank you. Are you still able to ski on the blues near the town? Ice and slush doesn’t sound good
ski holidays
@Lbyrne, I wouldn't be too worried about slush. Those blues above Passo Tonale will almost always be slushy at this time of year because they are south facing.

If you are intermediates I would definitely aim to spend more time on the reds than blues. The blue runs in Passo Tonale / Ponte di Legno are largely just nursery slopes (with a few exceptions, notably the nice one under the Valbiolo chair).

As @Lost in the trees says, the blue and red on the Presena side will have better snow (though they are a bit flat - avoid in fresh snow!) and are worth the trip, probably taking the gondola back down to avoid skiing the black.
snow conditions
Having read reports of various places not opening yet around the Alps - mostly wind related I think - pleased to report that it is now clear and everything running in Saiser Alm this morning. A few patches looking a little agricultural but sun has burnt off the clouds. I was all for throwing the towel in after one run at 9 and having a slow packing day but OH more positive than me so we bashed on and sitting having coffee now at Williams Hutte.
ski holidays
As I leave passo del tonale I can say it's snowed this evening about 5cm at town. Also looking cold next week

Had a great trip overall and really recommend sporting hotel passo tonale for food, kids club, soft play, baby sitters, aqua park.
Also ski evolution great.

snow report
Most lifts and runs open today

Sunny and quite cool well into next week. https://www.bergfex.com/alta-badia/webcams/

Looks like the last 11 days at the Sella Ronda is going to end on a high note. Anyone out there for the last week?
snow report
@Peter S, what is the gig there - if it's cold at night the pistes are still nice notwithstanding the lack of fresh snow?
snow report
@8611,
I think the key difference is rain shadow.
Shelter from the westerly air steam, drier air and more sunshine ?
snow report
Peter S wrote:
Most lifts and runs open today

Sunny and quite cool well into next week. https://www.bergfex.com/alta-badia/webcams/

Looks like the last 11 days at the Sella Ronda is going to end on a high note. Anyone out there for the last week?

We are in Selva until the 8th.
First day today , everything a bit hard first thing but some lovely runs in colfosco early to mid morning on spring snow .
Lunch at Jimmys and then the clouds came in and the two reds to get back to top of dantercepies were very soft (and hard to see in the light) so we downloaded and called it a day.
Lower (south facing) runs V slushy and a bit bare . It was always going to be a bit of a gamble .

But we took the bus to ortisei in the afternoon and had a potter which was very enjoyable .
Then an hour in the hotel spa and am now sat on our balcony in very hot sunshine drinking a beer.

Colder tomorrow by several degrees and colder still Tuesday Wednesday (max temp of -1 in town on Weds acc. to bergfex) with a chance of a few flakes of snow but outside of those showers , some sunny weather for a few days at least. So we plan to be up and out as early as we can and make the most of it until it gets too soft.

I assume they have stopped making snow even if below zero …?? Or might they still turn them on to fill in some of the brown patches lower down?

On the plus side , it is amazingly quiet .
latest report
franga wrote:
To the Dolomites regulars ... we (family of 2 adults and 2 active teenagers) are planning to visit the area in the summer (we are driving from the UK) and are looking for a good base for 7-10 days. We usually spend our summers in Les Gets and Morzine but we love Italy and its people, culture, food etc / we all fancy a change.

We'd love to stay in a vibrant village / small town with a couple of piazzas, nice restaurants, shops, events and an outdoor pool if at all possible etc. We enjoy hiking, MTBing, rafting etc.

We might decide to take our 2 dogs too so we'd rather go down the self-catering route.

Any recommendations and advice for a) a suitable base and b) modern self-catering accommodation would be very very welcome.

Thank you.

Don't have specific recommendations for accommodation, but when I hear vibrant, I think Cortina or Canazei. When I hear mtbing, I think Val di Sole. Probably not quite as vibrant there though. So depends what activities you prefer most. For hiking and via feratta, the Cortina area is hard to beat. For MTBing, Val di Sole is world class. To be honest, it's pretty hard to go wrong in the Dolomites.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy