Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomiti Superski 2022/23

Poster: A snowHead
@albob, Ooooh thanks that's a fun site snowHead

Looks like they're still plugging away - Pralongia II only 38%!!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
red 27 wrote:
@albob, Ooooh thanks that's a fun site snowHead

Looks like they're still plugging away - Pralongia II only 38%!!

Skied there yesterday
Runs were in good nick but they did have a canon going near the top
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think they are making snow in one or two places in Alta Badia for a ski cross course or a snow park. Except of course at Kronplatz where they make snow every night, whether they need to or not. I think they just like making snow Laughing
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thursday
Piste excellent again
Visibility a bit dodgy at times
Light snow from about three
Very cold high up but very little wind
Colfosco and San Casiano main areas of play today 43 km
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Is the snowpark near Piz Sorega currently open, or are there any parks open in the area? Will help us decide what skis to bring in a couple of weeks time.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@endoman, yes one of the lines was open and they were finishing the second by the look of it.
It also looked as though the enormous Kronplatz park was nearly complete two days ago.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks @Peter S,
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Friday last report heading home tomorrow assuming we don't get stuck in Innsbruck again. Not a big deal if it happens last time had a grand night out in the town. Very Happy
Piste great
Odd lift que today not sure why? There seemed to be a bottle neck at Compalongo which I have not noticed before.
Very very cold
Some cloud
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As @Garfield, said cold but great snow surfaces. The reds and blacks are superb. Haven’t spotted any other telemark skiers this week which is a shame because this is a great area for Tele.
Fabulous day today. Skied across to the James Bond run from our base here in Badia. A great ski out and back.
Must tell you about last night. Ate out at the Usteria Post in Badia. Had a fabulous meal there from a really good menu. Then met and had my picture taken with Igor. Cool Cool
As you can imagine he is just as nice in person and was delighted when I told him how well his videos were being received over here snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/Uo85KYYOpuk&vl=en
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Peter S wrote:
Must tell you about last night. Ate out at the Usteria Post in Badia. Had a fabulous meal there from a really good menu. Then met and had my picture taken with Igor. Cool Cool
As you can imagine he is just as nice in person and was delighted when I told him how well his videos were being received over here snowHead

Yes, last Birthday Bash i called in to the Usteria Posta for lunch one day (good menu as you say) and said hi to Igor. I also left him a sHs buff for his youngest. snowHead In mid March I'm on a motoring trip out to Austria for a week's stay with friends who are flying out to Salzburg, when they fly back I've added on a 4 day stay at the Ustaria Posta which I'm looking forward to a lot. Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Alastair Pink, snowHead
A very good week for us despite a bit of sticky new snow on Monday and some rather cold days, particularly yesterday. The piste surfaces are now in excellent condition everywhere and take an edge very predictably. Off piste will be much more challenging. It has occasionally been a little busy on some lifts but away from the SR we only experienced minor queues and generally uncrowded Runs. Everything is open and we have been able to plan all the itineraries we intended. A few final personal thoughts:
Even by Dolomite standards conditions are very good this year.
It looks as though they have sufficient piste depth in most areas for the rest of the season.
The demise of the UK chalet holiday is being missed by us.
We met more Australians than UK nationals on the lifts this year!
Food and drink remains universally excellent but inevitably more expensive.
Venice is an excellent airport.
Igor at the Usteria Post is a Dude Cool
Have fun if you are heading out.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Decent snowfall forecast for tomorrow - not that they seem to need real snow....
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
First day skiing in Madonna today - excellent conditions. Got noticeably colder in the PM. Talk of 30cm tomorrow
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looks like up to 50cm for Madonna and Passo Tonale over the next 48 hours if wepowder is to believed and slight less for most of the dolomites.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
luigi wrote:

... not sure what they're charging this year, it was €2.

3 Euro
snow conditions
albob wrote:
Posted by @Manja, elsewhere
Regarding the Saslong lifts (and slope), here's the review I wrote for Google maps (visit https://goo.gl/maps/wW7c5DVscyCeP3VDA to read all the reviews):
Stay away from the Saslong cable car that departs from St. Christina, take the ski bus to Selva (Wolkenstein) instead. The owner of the Saslong lifts has gone crazy and forces skiers to take a long and dangerous detour. The direct link (left turn) between the Saslong cable car and the Sochers/Ciampinoi ( Nr. 18 ) chair lift to Chiampinoi has been barred, instead you have to turn right, walk or push some 200 meters, cross the Saslong slope and take the Sochers ( Nr. 19 ) chair lift, crossing the Saslong slope again to reach lift nr. 18. A dangerous and very unnecessary detour, aimed to make more money with lift nr. 19.
Here's the page with information on ski busses in Val Gardena: https://www.valgardena.it/en/bus-schedule/#c4947

=========

For those interested - you can see some of the new fencing on webcams - https://valgardena.panomax.com/ciampinoi

and the new route - https://www.tageszeitung.it/2023/01/01/der-zaun-des-anstosses/

Yeah, we witnessed an almighty row between a security gorilla and half a dozen middle aged Italians (proper Italian, not Tyrolian locals). The Italians all looked like well off professional types. Some were literally foaming at the mouth. I asked some questions of locals in the know and found out that the Sochers Hotel owner, whom appears to be universally disliked, put in an application for this. http://www.delazer.com/en/portfolio/hotel-sochers-selva-di-val-gardena/?fbclid=IwAR1cgsiilSowyX66Uz-XuGpBmQl9PyOx-aK-sDUltCYMk_IjHo4Go_MnQa4 It was refused and as a part of his reaction, he has created the fencing abomination. He owns the hotel and licenses to operate the two lifts involved. The hope is that Dolomiti Superski step in and do a 'Piz Seteur' on him. Put in a new lift system which avoids everything that the guy owns/controls. Thus cutting off his revenue stream entirely.
snow report
Raptor24 wrote:
Looks like up to 50cm for Madonna and Passo Tonale over the next 48 hours if wepowder is to believed and slight less for most of the dolomites.

By the look of the Alta Badia webcams it's been bucketing it down for hours now so 30cm+ today looks quite likely, with more due tomorrow.
ski holidays
Looked quite heavy in Val Di Fasa and Arraba area as well. Less so in Val Gardena unless its changed in the past hour or so. Reports from Badia say its really powdery snow up high so will likely be blown about by the strong winds today
ski holidays
Been snowing since 7.30am in Madonna. Wind over 30kph so only 2 gondolas remained open. Pistes are in great condition. Spent the day up pradalago.
ski holidays
Sella Ronda was closed today due to the high winds
ski holidays
Not the dollies but close, Passo T, about a foot fell at 1900 m , more due tonight and tomo, satisfying squeaky sound under the skis
snow conditions
dublin2 wrote:
Not the dollies but close, Passo T, about a foot fell at 1900 m , more due tonight and tomo, satisfying squeaky sound under the skis

Any idea how much down in Ponte Di Legno? I've just amended my March 5th accommodation to swap from a cramped AirBnB in Passo Tonale to a spacious aparthotel in Ponte Di Legno. Would be nice if todays snowfall was enough to (barring a freak event) guarantee the home runs in PdL remain open until mid march.
snow conditions
Some good falls reported today - 35cm in Alta Badia (at altitude)

https://www.bergfex.com/italien/schneewerte/
snow report
Raptor24 wrote:
dublin2 wrote:

Any idea how much down in Ponte Di Legno? I've just amended my March 5th accommodation to swap from a cramped AirBnB in Passo Tonale to a spacious aparthotel in Ponte Di Legno. Would be nice if todays snowfall was enough to (barring a freak event) guarantee the home runs in PdL remain open until mid march.

I'm sure they have a substantial base already to be honest, plus their piste management and snowmaking is top class. I think it's likely you will be fine, especially this season!
snow report
@Mollerski, I know what you mean, I found the security guards intimidating, they reminded me of the tube inspectors, always upset with the world. What happened in Alta badia? Love all these stories.
Btw the hotel he was planning to build looks amazing, he must be really loaded which makes the whole affair even more pathetic.
snow report
The Dolomites are a World Heritage site for the quality of the mountain landscapes. It’s perhaps not that surprising that a somewhat jarring retro sceheme on that scale has been refused? Presumably he could appeal if he strongly disagrees with the reasons for refusal? Sometimes landowner/developers can become a little bitter if they don’t get their way.
The skiing outlook remains good once they sort out the new snow. Cool, dry again and sunny to the end of January.
snow conditions
@Harrow lady, The guy has form and is regarded as a bit of a bully. He's 70yo and mostly based in Milan. The issue appears to be the location of the hotel, rather than the grandeur of it. The concern being, that he would be creating a village above the town and therefore deprive Selva the town of the business that well heeled guests would bring.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 24-01-23 16:30; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Raptor24 wrote:
dublin2 wrote:

Excellent in PDL too
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Mollerski, hope the Dolomites will remain as they are, don’t care about ski in ski out, if they need more beds then expand the areas close to the main resorts , just don t dot the hills with hotels, would totally destroy the beauty. Really glad the project didn’t go ahead.
snow report
@Harrow lady, I agree. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Mollerski wrote:
@Harrow lady, I agree. Madeye-Smiley

So do I.
snow conditions
+1
snow report
@Harrow lady, compare...

snow conditions
...and contrast

snow conditions
dublin2 wrote:
Raptor24 wrote:
dublin2 wrote:

Excellent in PDL too

Nice one thank you.
ski holidays
@PeakyB, Both of those are very beautiful in their own way
ski holidays
@red 27, agreed. San Cassiano approaching, looking at it and Avoriaz leaving, with back to it. wink
latest report
@PeakyB, Laughing
snow conditions
We're in La Villa this week. Yesterday (Monday) was snowy all day, so we stayed local - Basically lapping lift #56. From about 2pm onwards the slopes were deserted, and even the blue runs ended up with boot deep powder on them. They shut the lifts on me at 16:15 which put a stop to play. Booooooooo.

Went to Arabba today (Tuesday). Bit of a queue for the gondy out (#5), but once up nice snow everywhere, although it's all been pisted. Started to bump up virtually everywhere from noon onwards, but soft bumps you could just plough through. Long lunch in Prolongia, and then got lost on the way back. Ended up getting to the bottom of lift 57 at about 16:35, which was a problem because it shuts at 16:15. Ended up walking back up to La Villa, and home to the apartment. Too hot to enter the apartment, so we sat outside (in sub zero temps) downing some Weissbiers to cool down.

Lift tracker thingy recons we did 4467m of vertical today, 16 lifts and 406 minutes of fun. I'm afraid I'll decide what constitutes fun, and the last half hour of trudging up closed lifts doesn't count.

Early night tonight because the Yeovil game has been cancelled. Tomorrow going to attempt Sella Ronda Green, but if it gets too busy we'll abandon ship and return to the Colfosco area.

PS if anyone knows the liftie on #57, could they please send the boys round. Toofy Grin
snow report
Posted elsewhere by @GlasgowCyclops, but worth putting here :: latest video from Ustaria Posta , the La longia piste

http://youtube.com/v/hzdP-cO-Sew :
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy