Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pyrenees 22/23

Poster: A snowHead
It snowed here on and off into the night last night. It was pretty light though and very windy so some slopes will have better cover whilst others will be wind blown.

Again, like last week it looks like the snow was heavier over at Arcalis and Vallnord than Grandvalira.

The forecast for the end of the weekend and next week is for it to get pretty cold with some snow. Fingers crossed that forecast happens. I’m back at work now but my OH will hopefully be heading out tomorrow so she can give me an on the ground update.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Looking ahead, latest GFS forecasts are showing 40-60cm accumulations in Central Pyrenees over next 10 days, assuming all the precipitation falls as snow.

A lot more at the western end as the Atlantic rolls in with lots of rain in store for the Basque Country.

This is mostly coming from Sunday onwards, so next week could be quite snowy at times at altitude, assuming the forecast plays out.

https://meteologix.com/fr/model-charts/standard/france/accumulated-precipitation/20230120-1800z.html

ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
10 day Snow depth accumulation map seems to back up the idea of bit of a pasting across the Pyrenees from Sunday onwards

https://meteologix.com/fr/model-charts/standard/france/snow-depth/20230120-1800z.html

snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looks like a proper cold snap is on the way for next week with a few days of hefty snow forecast. Finally!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
AlunAlun wrote:
Looks like a proper cold snap is on the way for next week with a few days of hefty snow forecast. Finally!

Yes, definitely looking colder, esp Monday, cold enough for some whitening in Andorra La Vella maybe.

I guess snowfall amounts are hard to predict and Andorra is a long way East and in the shadow of the highest peaks when it comes in from the Atlantic end, but hopefully it will materialise and there'll be enough to freshen the pistes and stay cold enough for the cannons to keep firing.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@luigi, my usual weather sites are showing some promising signs for next week, and yes if forecasted temps actually arrive ALV and my little town will be seeing some snow. I might even have to rush out of work to move the car to a better position. It’s a pain to get out of the usual car park in heavy snow and I only work at 1,300m.

Getting excited at the prospect!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
hammerite wrote:
@luigi, my usual weather sites are showing some promising signs for next week, and yes if forecasted temps actually arrive ALV and my little town will be seeing some snow. I might even have to rush out of work to move the car to a better position. It’s a pain to get out of the usual car park in heavy snow and I only work at 1,300m.

Getting excited at the prospect!

Stick that snow shovel in your boot, you're going to be digging yourself out!! snowHead snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@luigi, it stays in the boot all winter!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Our first time in Andorra was I think Feb 2014. I have photos with cars with over 2ft of snow on the roof, some of them pretty buried by the roadside. Had to drive very carefully off the main road to our apartment up the hill.
I don't think I've seen nearly so much snow on our subsequent visits.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Arcalis was good today. Last Sunday/Monday’s snow and the snow cannons being able to run this week has made a big difference. All positive given this week’s forecast (fingers crossed).
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Some of the amounts seem to have been dialled back, but still looks a cold week, potentially quite snowy at times

Here are some forecasts, my fave Bergfex:

https://www.bergfex.com/grandvalira/wetter/prognose/

Currently forecasting 54cm at altitude, 40cm in resort this week, snowline hovering 1100-1300m, but dipping lower at times.

https://www.meteoblue.com/es/tiempo/semana/soldeu_mundo_3038999

An optimistic 72-125cm

https://www.yr.no/nb/v%C3%A6rvarsel/daglig-tabell/2-3038999/Andorra/Canillo/Soldeu

Around 65cm, if you take 1mm of rain=1cm of snow

Monday and Friday seem to be the snowiest days, so maybe some mighty cold days midweek with better vis, but anyone arriving next weekend could be in for a treat! snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Conditions were quite good again today considering. They’ve done a good job with the few cm of snow last week and the cannons running.

It was -6c up there today. Snow started lightly at lunch time and got gradually heavier as the afternoon went on.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
hammerite wrote:
Conditions were quite good again today considering. They’ve done a good job with the few cm of snow last week and the cannons running.

It was -6c up there today. Snow started lightly at lunch time and got gradually heavier as the afternoon went on.

And so it begins!! snowHead

Bergfex are going for 24cm on the mountain for Grandvalira and 16cm in resort at 1700m by the end of play Tuesday, plus whatever fell today.

Snowline at 1300m, dropping to 1100m. Are you seeing snow in Encamp yet?

The question is...will the shovel be needed in the morning or not?! wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well according to my weather radar, Pyrenees are really copping it from about 4pm to midnight tonight (it doesn't show temperature). Hope it works out for you all.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Orange200 wrote:
Well according to my weather radar, Pyrenees are really copping it from about 4pm to midnight tonight (it doesn't show temperature). Hope it works out for you all.

Bergfex are saying the snowline will be starting at 1400m today, but falling to 900m by tomorrow pm, then small amounts down to 300m Wed & Thurs. The snow for Friday has been dialled back though.

They are currently predicting 28-36cm between today and Friday for Grandvalira area...plus the 2cm?? new snow reported at 8.30 this morning on the Grandvalira website! snowHead

https://www.grandvalira.com/en/weather-forecast-grandvalira
snow conditions
@luigi, I live and work at 1,300m about 10km apart. It was snowing in Encamp yesterday but only very finely so didn’t really settle so no shovel needed. It’s snowed all day at work too and it started to settle but then a bit later was then melting as soon as it hit the ground. It must’ve been just above freezing. Looking at the traffic cams shows that it must be settling at about 1,500m so at a similar height as Canillo/Arinsal.

https://www.mobilitat.ad/totes-les-cameres

It’ll have done a great job for the slopes though. Certainly one of the Grau Roig pistes was grass yesterday and it wasn’t today.
latest report
Since I wrote that, the snow’s got heavier and it looks like it’s settling lower and lower.
latest report
hammerite wrote:
Since I wrote that, the snow’s got heavier and it looks like it’s settling lower and lower.

That sounds great! Maybe not for shovel-wielding commuters, but good for the rest of the season's sliding prospects! Laughing

The forecast was for the snowline to fall.

You would expect that, the constant snowfall cools the air as it falls and it's night-time now so temps would be dropping naturally with lack of solar radiation.

Couple that with an increasing Northerly flow over next few days and Winter proper has arrived in 'els Pirineus'...finally! snowHead
snow report
Thankfully, my car is parked indoors. The ramp out of the car park can be interesting occasionally as can the road up to work. Apart from that it’s usually pretty plain sailing (everything crossed!)
snow report
Full marks to Emmanuelle for her reporting diligence, she saw the new snow today at Arinsal...not sure you can quite call it a powder day though! snowHead

Sounded more like a bit of fluff on the hardpack Shocked

http://youtube.com/v/djMcZJ6BCO4
snow report
Nice surprise on the Les Angles webcams today- seems may have been more than predicted overnight! Dare I say it's finally properly snowing and there may finally with the cold temps be enough to build up a base on the runs that are not supported by artificial snow cover?
snow report
Down my way we probably had 2-3cm overnight. Still snowing now but it just doesn't seem to be accumulating very quickly. Hopefully, that will be different up on the slopes.

@luigi, there's a great video of someone skiing between the trees down to El Tarter yesterday on the Grandvalira social pages. But yes, I think yesterday it was mostly a few cm on hardpack as you say. I'm doubtful that Emmanuel has a massive experience of skiing or being out in ski areas. You can't fault her enthusiasm though.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 17-01-23 9:41; edited 2 times in total
snow report
Dr. Will wrote:
Nice surprise on the Les Angles webcams today- seems may have been more than predicted overnight! Dare I say it's finally properly snowing and there may finally with the cold temps be enough to build up a base on the runs that are not supported by artificial snow cover?

Yes, it's forecast to be very cold (for these parts) for the next 10 days.
snow conditions
hammerite wrote:
Down my way we probably had 2-3cm overnight. Still snowing now but it just doesn't seem to be accumulating very quickly. Hopefully, that will be different up on the slopes.

Ah ok yes maybe I was getting a bit too excited- doesn't actually seem that massive...hopefully won't melt though
latest report
Webcams do look good today. Everything white and the sun came out this afternoon snowHead Cool

https://www.bergfex.com/grandvalira/webcams/c6546/

On here, you can look at the archived pics from earlier in the day and previous days for comparison wink
latest report
That’s more like it. After no skiing since Christmas today really delivered.

Interesting drive up from the French side this morning. Glad for the winter tyres.

Fresh tracks all morning. A quick lunch then an afternoon of perfect piste skiing. An absolute joy after skating around on the last trip.

Grandvalira today, then 2 days in Pal Arinsal before stopping off for a final day in GV heading back to Toulouse.

Looking forward to checking out the skiing, bars and restaurants here in Arinsal.

More snow forecast Eh oh!
snow report
Dr. Will wrote:
hammerite wrote:

Ah ok yes maybe I was getting a bit too excited- doesn't actually seem that massive...hopefully won't melt though

It snowed fairly heavily this morning for a couple of hours. Probably put down about 5cm at my lowly altitude. Grandvalira is reporting 15cm.
snow report
@mortonia, have fun. Let me know where you go to eat in Arinsal. I’ve only eaten there a couple of times - Hunters and Fugazetta. Hunters was decent pub food. Fugazetta was pretty disappointing. Lots of friends recommend Surf.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@mortonia, I can see why the snow tyres came in handy today...

http://youtube.com/v/bbeD5zUZh4o
latest report
A sprinkling overnight and then about an hour of heavy snow around these parts today. Now it's bright and sunny. It's forecast to start snowing in the night and stop at some point on Friday morning.

Jnr and my OH are out today and they've messaged to say they're having a great day in excellent conditions.
snow conditions
Any word on some more red and black slopes opening in GrandValira with the new snow? Exciting to finally see some decent snow Very Happy
latest report
@DJ97, no, not heard anything. Over the weekend Avet still had a pretty deep drainage channel very visible (just a cm or two of snow).

10km more pistes have opened since yesterday and the snow cannons have been on overdrive for the last 3 days. After the snow forecast weakened earlier in the week, it seems to have improved again for the next day with over 30cm by Friday morning. Hopefully, everything will be open by the weekend or at least at some point next week.
snow conditions
With 10cm reported at Grandvalira on Wed morning, plus more during the day reported by @hammerite. Then Bergfex have 33cm forecast from Wed midnight to Sat midnight on the mountain.

I'd say that is looking amazing for when the sun comes out on Sunday through Wednesday next week. Staying pretty cold all next week too.

Anyone out this weekend will be in for some great snow conditions. Saturday transfers might be a bit tricky as the snow forecast for later in the day will be down to low levels.
ski holidays
Grandvalira reporting another 10cm of new snow this morning at 8.30am

https://www.grandvalira.com/en/weather-forecast-grandvalira

A fair bit forecast for today with 900m snowline, particularly building this evening with snowline dropping further overnight, though I don't think many places in Andorra are below 900m.
latest report
We had about 5cm down to about 1000m overnight. Would have been much more up high. The drive into work was slow but not awful!

They've opened another 10km of pistes today. With a lot more snow forecast overnight tonight. I have the annoying task of having to take 40 kids skiing tomorrow but not being able to ski myself (report writing). I'll have to wait until Saturday.
ski holidays
Looks like Les Angles is slowly but surely filling up, cm by cm! Will nice if they could make to to 100 cm by the French school holidays- then I'm sure they will breathe a sigh of relief!
snow conditions
if anyone goes up in the next few days please do report, I'm planning a trip sometime next week, but not sure where yet, maybe Arcalis....Baqueria seems to have got the most snow?
snow conditions
mrvinegar wrote:
if anyone goes up in the next few days please do report, I'm planning a trip sometime next week, but not sure where yet, maybe Arcalis....Baqueria seems to have got the most snow?

If you haven't got anything booked, I reckon the NW Alps (Franco-Swiss border areas) would be the best bet, they've had loads there, with more to come for Austria & Slovenia snowHead

Check out the outlook here, though sometimes there can be too much snow unless you're an absolute powderhound:

https://wepowder.com/en

https://wepowder.com/en/forum/topic/287055

If it has to be the Pyrenees, the western end has copped more apparently. Astun/Formigal or Gourette & Bareges/Grand Tourmalet on the French side were picked out on wePowder.

Presumably Baqueira will also have benefited more than Andorra being further West and with the Garonne valley opening to the N/NW with high peaks to the South and East, it's a bit of a natural snow pocket.

Saying all that, even though the snowfall totals won't be in the top league, I reckon there will be great piste skiing next week in Andorra in the sunshine, if a little on the chilly side. Skullie

latest report
It’s absolutely dumping it down here at the moment. A couple of cm have fallen since I got in from work an hour ago.

Whoever posts updates on Snowforecast reported ankle deep powder this morning. I think it will be even deeper tomorrow.

@mrvinegar, I’ll be out in the Grandvalira this weekend. I skied Arcalis last weekend and even without deep snow the piste conditions were pretty good. No off piste then, but that might have changed now.
ski holidays
This is all very exciting. Am heading to Pas de la Casa at the end of the month. Was a bit worried with the lack of snow the past few weeks, but that’s changed with all this.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy