Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pyrenees 22/23

Poster: A snowHead
It’s a bit ropier over towards Soldeu/El Tarter. There’s a couple of very narrow pinch points. The main runs still have reasonable cover though.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It’s worth pointing out with my positivity that it has frozen overnight for the last 4-5 days. It may not do that over the next few days. I’ve also just seen this on Facebook….

Sadly due to the deteriorating spring snow conditions, Grandvalira Soldeu & El Tarter will be closing for the end of season on Monday 10th April.

There will then be a free bus service taking customers to Grau Roig sector, where Pas de la Casa and Grau Roig will remain open as planned until 16th April.

We will be contacting our customers later today with options for your bookings.

Steve
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you, that's helpful. Ah, kids. Shame, but they will still have fun.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
No mention of Encamp but that has better links into Grau Roig and Pas de la Casa.

There’s also the possibility of them busing to Arcalis and that usually has the best snow conditions in Andorra.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Funicamp closed apparently, according to Soldeu.com. Argh. Buses for them.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
They have now deleted their post(s). Hmmmm
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It’s a bit odd. This was posted by Soldeu.com which a website that sells lessons, lift passes etc… but isn’t the lift company.

I know the lift company don’t announce things until the last thing but that’s because they generally don’t make decisions until late on based on conditions. Difficult to know.

Soldeu and El Tarter I can understand. The top of the Funicamp is high though and is a good link to Grau and Pas. Conditions were good across to there today.

Getting on the bus isn’t such a bad thing though even if they end up at Arcalis. The bus somewhere else takes as long as the Funicamp does!

Btw… I live in Encamp. Get your son to bring some shorts and t-shirts for the evening just in case. It’s pretty warm here at the moment until around 8pm.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'll get them to pack some Smile Thanks for the tip. The temps predicted next week do look slightly insane.

Maybe the TO/ lift pass reseller jumped the gun a bit.. either way I imagine they'll get some skiing in.

Thanks for your updates today.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The temps are massively different depending on altitude and exposure to the sun. I didn’t undo any of my pit/leg zips today and had a buff over my face most of the day. We stopped for lunch in the sun at the bottom of El Tarter and I was down to my t-shirt.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The announcement has returned again. This time Encamp has been added. This is from one of the Andorran newspapers translated from Google…

The lack of snow has meant that Grandvalira has brought forward the closing of the season for most sectors to Monday. The areas of Pas de la Casa and Grau Roig and Arcalís will remain open until April 16.
The high temperatures of the last few weeks have meant that Grandvalira cannot offer the desired conditions to customers in the majority of the ski domain. For this reason, the sectors of Soldeu, El Tarter, Canillo and Encamp advance the end of the season and Monday of next week will be the last day they open.

As explained from Grandvalira, the number of reservations for the next week has meant that all the teams have been sent to the Pas and Grau Roig area. In these places, thanks to the weekend's snowfall and a slight drop in temperatures, you can enjoy the snow in good conditions until April 16. From this day they will also close. And the same forecast is for Ordino-Arcalís, which also offers good conditions.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thank you. So, definitely buses then, but good to know they are keeping at least some terrain open until 16th. And also good they have their own coach because I imagine the resort supplied ones will be a bit cozy Smile
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@robertsnerys, it’s worth checking whether they’re planning on using their own coach. I’ve seen lots of school groups walking to/from or using the Funibus to get to Funicamp this week. Hopefully they don’t have to use the resort buses.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If he’s bused to Arcalis this week, he’ll be fine. I’m there today and the snow is pretty good. We might end up with a few cm on Weds/Thurs too
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It'd be great if they bussed them to Arcalis but I don't think that's part of the plan.. they're still having fun in grandvalira but child says it's 40% snow, 40% slush, 10%ice and 10% running water Eh oh! .
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@robertsnerys, the end of their week should be good. Snow forecast from tomorrow night. Not loads, but it’ll freshen things a little and with a bit of a cool down it’ll be less slushy!
snow report
I know this isn't strictly the correct thread but hoping for some Snowheads advice please for ski resorts in Andorra: daughter is taking Spanish GCSE, so I thought Andorra may enable some language practice for Feb half term 2024. Recommendations most welcome. Intermediate to advanced so blacks and reds mostly, would be good to get an instructor/guide for some off piste for a day but okay if not. I usually drive but equally happy to fly/transfer. Thanks so much.
latest report
Soldeu / Gran Valira / Tartar / Arisnal I think are regarded as the premium Andorran resorts. Driveable from Barcelona and perhaps from some of the Northern Spanish airports or Southern French ones. Is it Arisnal or Arcalis that has a reputation for off piste?

Hammerite lives in that general area and can doubtless give you recommendatios.
snow report
@Snowmadmum, you might already be aware of this, but the language spoken in Andorra is Catalan, whereas your daughter is likely to be learning Castilian Spanish. I think they are probably different enough that it could be a bit confusing.

Spain itself has quite a few decent ski areas. If you went somewhere a bit further west in the Spanish Pyrenees, such as Formigal, I think the Catalan influence decreases. Someone here with local knowledge or better Spanish knowledge may be able to confirm! You could even try Sierra Nevada in southern Spain.

Driving to the Pyrenees would be a long way, and Spain is well served by flights from the UK. Depending on cost, it might well be more convenient to fly.
snow report
@denfinella, Christ that's a good point!
snow report
@denfinella, thanks you may have just saved me from an expensive mistake! In my total ignorance, I hadn't considered this to be too problematic but after talking with daughter, it will be. Back to the original plan of a city break to Madrid/Seville and perhaps a summer holiday there then but I will look into Formigal. Although I still fancy skiing in Andorra so will probably do the research for a future trip.
snow report
@Snowmadmum, sorry, only just seen this. @denfinella, is right in that Catalan is the national language spoken here in Andorra, however, anyone who can speak Catalan pretty much also speaks Spanish like it’s their first language.

The other thing to consider, is that the vast majority of people who work in the ski areas are South American. Spanish is therefore much more widely spoken than Catalan. Generally, Andorrans who work in the ski areas are students or work in management positions.

To give you an idea, I’m learning Spanish not Catalan.

As for off piste, Arcalis is the best place, but you don’t need to stay near there (there’s not really any hotels nearby) it’s more of a place to visit for a day or two. As it sounds like you’re good skiers, I’d probably recommend staying in the Grandvalira resorts.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy