Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pyrenees 22/23

Poster: A snowHead
The GFS 00Z today takes away the chance of anything significant snow-wise in the next 2 weeks and shows a cold plunge early next week. No real agreement across the ensemble beyond the milder, sunny weather until the 6th though.

Clearly there's a struggle to shift the blocking high which is hovering around Biscay and affecting S Britain, most of France and N Spain. It's ridging East into France which is cutting off the cold Northerly flow into Andorra and allowing the slightly milder weather currently enjoyed, but maybe it slips far enough away again to allow the cold Continental flow to return early next week, that's still up in the air.

The jet stream is currently being forced over the top through Scotland, across the North Sea and down into the E Alps. Some parts of Austria are currently getting blasted.

Maybe if the High were to slip NE twd Britain/Scandinavia more, it would let in some moisture to the Pyrenees. If I'm reading it right, I think that's the hopeful scenario.

https://www.wetterzentrale.de/en/show_diagrams.php?geoid=10&model=gem&var=201&run=00&lid=ENS&bw=1

https://wepowder.com/en/forum/topic/287407
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bergfex are now showing a small amount of snow (4-6cm) with a cold plunge for Mon/Tues/Wed next week, not much, but might help freshen things up a bit if it comes to pass.

https://www.bergfex.com/grandvalira/wetter/prognose/

It looks like the current Biscay High drifts NE to Britain over the weekend, this changes the flow across the W Med to Easterly and draws moisture towards the Med Coast of Spain along with cold air from Central Europe. How far North any moisture hits the coast will affect the extent to which the Pyrenees are affected on Mon/Tues.

By midweek, the High continues to ridge E into Germany & Poland and the flow turns to SE into Spain which will bring slightly milder temps and give more chance of moisture into the E Pyrenees on Wed.

By next weekend it looks like the Azores High might reassert itself with a drier, cooler Continental flow for Andorra, but we are getting towards a low reliability of forecast in that time frame.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm back at Pal today for work (not skiing rolling eyes ). It's warm but the pistes are looking very good. I'd expect it to be a bit stony at the top of the Cubil because that gets wind scoured even in heavy snow but apart from that snowHead

Jnr is in Pas and says it's pretty good there too. I'll probably go and check it out there tomorrow.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The calm before the half term storm here too. It's mega quiet.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyone got any experience of Pal Arnisal during half term? Just got an email from school saying my son has got on the ski trip for half term 2024, and wondering what he can expect? He’s a decent skier (we’re actually in Les Gets as I type and if my calcs are correct this his 10th ski trip), so it’s more out of interest rather than anything.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Timmycb5 wrote:
Anyone got any experience of Pal Arnisal during half term? Just got an email from school saying my son has got on the ski trip for half term 2024, and wondering what he can expect? He’s a decent skier (we’re actually in Les Gets as I type and if my calcs are correct this his 10th ski trip), so it’s more out of interest rather than anything.

Based upon current conditions, a lot of it will be hard pack and icy in the mornings. If we get more than 10cm of snow before then, then hopefully there will ber some fun bits between the trees again.

Pal's best area for accomplished skiers is the Pic de Cubil area. One main lift serves this area and there are a couple of button lifts around, which are are good to avoid the crowds.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I noticed today's update on Bergfex dials back the amounts expected early next week to 1-2cm on Monday, that's just a dusting! Sad

Keep an eye though as it's clearly up in the air a bit between the different forecasts.

There is moisture about in the W Med that should get pushed into Spain next week and fall as snow at altitude, but looks like it may make landfall too far S to affect the Pyrenees significantly.

Valencia may be in for a bit of a wet week though!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Meteoblue goes for a swing to a S/SE flow by the end of the coming week, pushing the Med moisture into Andorra, 10-20cm over Thurs/Fri. That would be a result!! snowHead snowHead

https://www.meteoblue.com/es/tiempo/semana/soldeu_mundo_3038999

It gets pretty cold in the coming week as, if you follow the isobars back, the flow ultimately comes from deep into the continental cold of E Europe & Russia.

Bergfex of Austria and the Norwegian site are still only calling for a dusting Mon-Wed though:

https://www.yr.no/nb/v%C3%A6rvarsel/daglig-tabell/2-3038999/Andorra/Canillo/Soldeu

We'll have to see who wins out in the snow stakes! Madeye-Smiley

For the long-range into HT week, meteoblue goes a bit milder & sunnier after the fresh snow...I like their style!!! Cool

https://www.meteoblue.com/es/tiempo/14-dias/soldeu_mundo_3038999
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
luigi wrote:
Meteoblue goes for a swing to a S/SE flow by the end of the coming week, pushing the Med moisture into Andorra, 10-20cm over Thurs/Fri. That would be a result!! snowHead snowHead

https://www.meteoblue.com/es/tiempo/semana/soldeu_mundo_3038999

It gets pretty cold in the coming week as, if you follow the isobars back, the flow ultimately comes from deep into the continental cold of E Europe & Russia.

Bergfex of Austria and the Norwegian site are still only calling for a dusting Mon-Wed though:

https://www.yr.no/nb/v%C3%A6rvarsel/daglig-tabell/2-3038999/Andorra/Canillo/Soldeu

We'll have to see who wins out in the snow stakes! Madeye-Smiley

For the long-range into HT week, meteoblue goes a bit milder & sunnier after the fresh snow...I like their style!!! Cool

https://www.meteoblue.com/es/tiempo/14-dias/soldeu_mundo_3038999

10cm would be a lovely touch. Arcalis was pretty decent today.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ysb33r wrote:
10cm would be a lovely touch. Arcalis was pretty decent today.

Good to hear! I'm wondering whether to do a day up there next week.

I switched accommodation to a place near Ordino and have a car, so can travel to any resort.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A welcome return of snow to the Les Angles webcam- looking like today and tomorrow may include a decent top up- going away in 2 weeks time so fingers crossed!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@luigi, definitely worth a day up at Arcalis. I love it up there.

There was a little bit of snow around first thing this morning and the forecast for the next couple of days is showing around 10cm.

@Timmycb5, Pal can get quite busy at times during school holidays. It's very popular with school groups. It's a good fun area though and the instructors are mostly young so they're happy to do lots of silly stuff with decent skiers.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@hammerite, cheers for that. That sounds like it suit my lad to a tee.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@hammerite, yeah Mrs L likes the look of the Megaverda long green down from the top at Arcalis as an easy start. Can you buy a half-day (afternoon) ticket at Arcalis? I can't see the option on the website.

Looking good on the latest forecast, a bit of a freshen up this week (7-11cm) with cold temps preserving it and milder, sunny weather from Friday into next week, couldn't have planned it better!! Cool

snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Orange weather alert for tomorrow in the Pyrénées Orientales. Snowfall forecast at low altitude and up to 40cm above 1000m. That's the pre half term top-up sorted there
snow conditions
moody_git wrote:
Orange weather alert for tomorrow in the Pyrénées Orientales. Snowfall forecast at low altitude and up to 40cm above 1000m. That's the pre half term top-up sorted there

Sounds good! It's coming in off the Med, so the resorts in French Catalonia should do well out of it! snowHead snowHead
snow report
It's been snowing here at a reasonable rate for the last hour with the added bonus that it seems to be falling rather than being blown sideways at 100kph like we've had quite a bit this season.

@luigi, what pass are you planning to get? Arcalis is included in the Grandvalira pass that covers the whole of Andorra. The other option is the Nord Pass that covers Arcalis and Pal/Arinsal. There doesn't seem to be a 1/2 day pass any more but I know no more than you do from using the website. They might offer a half day if you turn up at the ticket office but it doesn't look like you can online.
ski holidays
hammerite wrote:
It's been snowing here at a reasonable rate for the last hour with the added bonus that it seems to be falling rather than being blown sideways at 100kph like we've had quite a bit this season.

@luigi, what pass are you planning to get? Arcalis is included in the Grandvalira pass that covers the whole of Andorra. The other option is the Nord Pass that covers Arcalis and Pal/Arinsal. There doesn't seem to be a 1/2 day pass any more but I know no more than you do from using the website. They might offer a half day if you turn up at the ticket office but it doesn't look like you can online.

The passes are a bit of a minefield with the dynamic online pricing. Sometimes cheaper per day with a day pass than buying a 3-day ticket! Shocked

Do the online discounts dry up as you approach the day in question?

We were only planning on skiing 3 days, so can't get the discount of a 6 day pass. We might add on a 4th day and ski the last day and head to Barcelona after that. If we get there early enough on Sunday we could ski that afternoon as well, so could extend to 4.5 days total.

Grandvalira have online prices for morning/afternoon passes, but not the Nord resorts individually.

Then there's the complication of whether everyone will want to ski every day. Also, buying a GV pass is overkill if you were skiing a lot in Arcalis or Pal Arinsal, which are cheaper per day.

Then the 4+ day Nord Pass includes one day in GV

Then Caldea offer a hefty discount on a day ski pass if you book it along with a spa visit, which everyone seems very keen on.

Simplest would be to book 5 day GV passes and be done with it! Laughing Laughing

But I think I'll just book day passes the evening before once everyone is decided who's skiing and where, then pick up at the ticket office/dispensing machines in the morning!

As long as I end up spending less than the €57 per adult per day and €48 per junior that the 5 day GV pass currently costs, I'll be quids in! Laughing
ski holidays
@luigi, I've no idea about the price of day passes or the multiday passes unfortunately. All my family and friends who ski have season passes.
snow report
Snowing on the La Molina webcams! That must be at least 15cm so far this year...
snow report
Been snowing for a fair few hours on the Les Angles webcams- fingers crossed the top up will be sufficient to open up the right hand side at last!
snow report
@8611, Laughing
snow conditions
The snow falling here was a bit weird today. It fell nearly all day but didn’t seem to settle very much around where I work. Jnr was on the mountain and he thought there was probably 6-10cm so in line with the forecast. It was cold too so the snow cannons we’re going all morning.
ski holidays
luigi wrote:
hammerite wrote:

The passes are a bit of a minefield with the dynamic online pricing. Sometimes cheaper per day with a day pass than buying a 3-day ticket! Shocked

Do the online discounts dry up as you approach the day in question?

We were only planning on skiing 3 days, so can't get the discount of a 6 day pass. We might add on a 4th day and ski the last day and head to Barcelona after that. If we get there early enough on Sunday we could ski that afternoon as well, so could extend to 4.5 days total.

Grandvalira have online prices for morning/afternoon passes, but not the Nord resorts individually.

Then there's the complication of whether everyone will want to ski every day. Also, buying a GV pass is overkill if you were skiing a lot in Arcalis or Pal Arinsal, which are cheaper per day.

Then the 4+ day Nord Pass includes one day in GV

Then Caldea offer a hefty discount on a day ski pass if you book it along with a spa visit, which everyone seems very keen on.

Simplest would be to book 5 day GV passes and be done with it! Laughing Laughing

But I think I'll just book day passes the evening before once everyone is decided who's skiing and where, then pick up at the ticket office/dispensing machines in the morning!

As long as I end up spending less than the €57 per adult per day and €48 per junior that the 5 day GV pass currently costs, I'll be quids in! Laughing

Maybe you can get some better deals, but in general I recommend getting the GV+ passes. You pay full price the first day and the more you go the cheaper it gets. It is also more flexible w.r.t to ski days. You only pay once you pass through the first gate. If you don't go on day 2, then you don't pay for day 2. You can order them on plus.grandvalira.com and pick them up at the first ski station you go to.
ski holidays
hammerite wrote:
@luigi, I've no idea about the price of day passes or the multiday passes unfortunately. All my family and friends who ski have season passes.

No difficult decisions there! Only how to pay for it!! Laughing
ski holidays
ysb33r wrote:

Maybe you can get some better deals, but in general I recommend getting the GV+ passes. You pay full price the first day and the more you go the cheaper it gets. It is also more flexible w.r.t to ski days. You only pay once you pass through the first gate. If you don't go on day 2, then you don't pay for day 2. You can order them on plus.grandvalira.com and pick them up at the first ski station you go to.

Thanks, I'll look into that! Smile
snow report
Sorry for the diversion from the weather, but just looking closer at the 'pay-as-you-go' GV+ pass...

There's a €5 per person upfront charge for admin.

You then pay the full retail price for the 1st ski day in EACH of the 3 ski areas (GV, Pal-Arinsal & Arcalis), before you then get the 2nd and subsequent days with 15% discount.

They talk about family discounts if 4 or more all ski together, but no exact details on this.

The advantage would be just visting the tills once to pick them up, but I still can't work out if it would work out the best deal for us on such a short stay trying to ski different resorts Laughing

It probably would work for someone staying a week or two and skiing one area like GV, perhaps not sure if they will be skiing every day, as after paying €5 plus €60 for the first day, you get all the other days for €51, which seems to be less than the per day rate on the multiday passes.

I've never encountered such a complicated price/marketing structure anywhere else though. Normally it's fixed prices (whether you buy online or in person) that just get a bit cheaper per day on multi-day passes until it's worth buying a season pass, which you might get cheaper if you buy it early. Sometimes a difference between high and low seasons.

There must be a Machiavellian internet marketing guru headhunted from Ryanair and now tucked away in the bowels of the Grandvalira Resorts office devising ever more fiendishly complicated ways of marketing the product, maximising revenues and harvesting client data Laughing Laughing Laughing

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 8-02-23 9:03; edited 1 time in total
snow report
luigi wrote:
hammerite wrote:

Even that’s easy. €375 split over three months - 40% upfront and 30% each at the beginning of Jan and Feb by direct debit.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hammerite wrote:
The snow falling here was a bit weird today. It fell nearly all day but didn’t seem to settle very much around where I work. Jnr was on the mountain and he thought there was probably 6-10cm so in line with the forecast. It was cold too so the snow cannons we’re going all morning.

Aww damn that's a pity- I did notice it didn't seem to be collecting quite as expected- although having said that the webcams, particularly in Font Romeu and C'Ambre D'Aze look pretty snowy but I guess we will have to see how it pans out once they update the snow reports.
ski holidays
hammerite wrote:
luigi wrote:
hammerite wrote:

Even that’s easy. €375 split over three months - 40% upfront and 30% each at the beginning of Jan and Feb by direct debit.

Is that the Adult Resident price? That is cheap!

Less than a 7 consecutive day GV pass at current prices.

A no-brainer, even if you only get to use it at weekends. Cool Cool
snow conditions
hammerite wrote:

Bang on! GV are reporting 7cm of new snow this morning snowHead

https://www.grandvalira.com/en/weather-forecast-grandvalira

Every little helps! snowHead
snow report
Chance of a little more white stuff today and tomorrow (4cm) as the last of the Med moisture is wrung dry, then a lot milder and sunnier for the weekend and into early next week as the Azores high ridges across into France and then into C Europe. Any Atlantic Lows are forced up twd Iceland.

https://www.bergfex.com/pal-arinsal-la-massana-vallnord/wetter/prognose/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/3041563 (pressure map is helpful here to get overview)

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 8-02-23 11:01; edited 1 time in total
latest report
This loop shows the Med disturbance swirling around the E Pyrenees until Saturday, not sure how that will translate into snowfall though??

Maybe that's your 4cm??

https://www.meteox.com/forecastloop.aspx?type=1
ski holidays
The Andorra weather service say some weak snowfall possible this evening, particularly in the S of the country.

Tomorrow cloudy, but still chilly.

From this Friday 10th, the high pressure influence takes over and they see it sunny and mild till the end of the forecast the following Friday 17th.

Temps hitting 16C in Andorra la Vella over this weekend and pretty mild on the hill too.

http://meteo.ad/en/forecast

Slightly more info on Catalan version:

http://meteo.ad/previsio

They even include a Catalan refrain 'Amb les febres del febrer, el metge no hi pot fer rés' 'With February fevers, the doctor can't do anything', so traditionally a month of cold when people might catch a fever and going against the forces of nature is seldom fruitful.

http://elrefranyer.com/ref/amb-les-febres-de-febrer-el-metge-no-hi-pot-fer-res
snow conditions
luigi wrote:
hammerite wrote:
luigi wrote:
hammerite wrote:

Is that the Adult Resident price? That is cheap!

Less than a 7 consecutive day GV pass at current prices.

A no-brainer, even if you only get to use it at weekends. Cool Cool

Adult resident early bird renewal. Last year I got about 50 days in but paid more because I had a GV and Vallnord pass. This year should be a similar number of days for €175 less.

Just a thought, have you got a quote from a booking service? Lots of people seem to recommend Andorra Travel Service but I’m not sure if they can actually source passes cheaper than Grandvalira sell them for.
latest report
I’ve just been into town and it was absolutely pelting it down with snow for well over an hour (it’s still falling but a lot lighter now). Just got back and looked at the traffic cams and the roads look completely dry in Soldeu and up near Arcalís.
snow conditions
hammerite wrote:

Adult resident early bird renewal. Last year I got about 50 days in but paid more because I had a GV and Vallnord pass. This year should be a similar number of days for €175 less.

Just a thought, have you got a quote from a booking service? Lots of people seem to recommend Andorra Travel Service but I’m not sure if they can actually source passes cheaper than Grandvalira sell them for.

€7.50 per ski day is a tremendous bargain!! I bet you were quietly glad when GV swallowed up Vallnord!! Just need to see what they do with their monopoly going forward though!! Laughing

Thanks for the tip!! Just looked at ATS, their prices are a fair bit below whatever the GV website is currently churning out. You can pay in Sterling too. I take back all I said about the GV marketing guru! Dishing out big discounts to booking services who pass them on to their customers always sells more tickets!! Cool

I think they can deliver the passes to a ski hire shop, so hopefully have enough time to sort that.
snow report
hammerite wrote:
I’ve just been into town and it was absolutely pelting it down with snow for well over an hour (it’s still falling but a lot lighter now). Just got back and looked at the traffic cams and the roads look completely dry in Soldeu and up near Arcalís.

Well, Andorra Meteo were right, they did say most likely in the South of the country!! Sad
snow conditions
luigi wrote:
hammerite wrote:

Well, Andorra Meteo were right, they did say most likely in the South of the country!! Sad

Just looked at the cams before going to bed, and it looks like there’s been a bit up near Pas. The road looks covered.
latest report
Actually perhaps I was doom and gloom a bit prematurely Snow Forecast seems to have updated its snow depths with a bit of a lag- now recording an extra 21 cm snowfall for Les Angles, and around 25cm for Font Romeu and C'Ambre d'Aze that is more in keeping with the cams- with change in the upper depths on Les Angles to 120 cm. Fingers crossed runs will continue to open.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy