Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt ski lockers

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All, I'm looking for some collective Snowheads wisdom. The two of us are off to Zermatt on Jan 21st for a week, staying in the Hotel Monte Rosa. Cutting a long story short, neither of us wants to march around the resort in ski boots with our gear and my partner has an aversion to ski buses unless really pushed, so we want to hire a locker nearer the slopes. It looks like the ski lift bases have ski lockers, (or the rental firms do) but I'm struggling to work out which lift base/location it is best to hire a locker at? I appreciate that there are multiple routes up to the slopes but given we are average intermediaries, is it likely that we will favour one ski lift over the others, therefore should hire a locker there? Any insight would be really useful - Thanks in advance
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There are lockers in the lift station at Trockener Steg, top of the Klein Matterhorn lift out of Zermatt. No idea if you need to book them or not. There is a (or 2?) rental shop there as well.

I know a few people on various BASI courses used them to leave their shoes in during the day and their skis overnight, but don't be tempted to leave your ski boots there unless you're partial to wearing blocks of ice first thing in the morning.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hmmm, frozen boots would be a problem - you make a very good point there. Thanks!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Also lockers at the top of the Sunnegga funicular, and the Matterhorn Express lift station in Zermatt. I haven't used them, but I think they now work with your ski-pass, someone else might know.
Unfortunately you've hit on one of the downsides to Zermatt. I can recommend getting Sidas ski boot Traction rubber grips - they've transformed my walking comfort walking round Zermatt, but you do have to stuff them in your bag or whatever when you actually get to the snow.
If you're staying at the Monte Rosa, I'm sure they will have their own taxis to get you wherever in the morning - and I'm sure you could splash out and get (or share) a taxi for the return?
There are 2 valley stations - Matterhorn Express, which serves the Riffelberg / Trockener Steg / Klein Matterhorn / Italy, and Sunnegga, which serves Sunnegga / Rothorn. And the Gornergratbahn, for a scenic ride to Riffelberg and Gornergrat.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@caughtanedge thanks for the tip on rubber grips
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I found this when I was looking, not used them though, looks ok and no frozen boots!

https://www.dorsaz-sport.ch/en/lockers

Equipment Lockers
Integrated shoe dryer
Space for two pairs of skis
Space for two pairs of shoes
Space for accessories

Rental price
Daily rent per cabinet CHF 12.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@ster, thanks, will check this out
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ster, I'd forgotten about those, TBH, but the pictures imply that they've been seriously updated since the last time I was there (when I was staying in literally the first building next to the lift station, so really didn't need to think about lockers Happy ).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There are certainly loads of places to leave skis overnight, both at the three base stations in Zermatt itself and on the top of the lifts for Sunnega & Trockener Steg. You use your ski pass to lock them and then pay at a machine to unlock them again.

I can't recall seeing anything for boots so that Dorsaz sport option looks like a good bet although it means you are committed to starting in the same spot every morning
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Assuming you are there for 6 days, could you budget 15chf each per day for a taxi to whichever lift you want? Assuming the monte rosa has a good heated ski room? Might be the easiest option,especially as you are on holiday.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If I had to choose one lift as a base then it would be Sunnegga. It's the fastest way up in the morning and gives easy access to both Rothorn and Gornergrat. The only downside is that on the days you want to go to Klein Matterhorn it's a longer ski to get there. If you use the Matterhorn Express base station then you need to use buses or taxis and at busy times it can be quite a battle to get a taxi back at the end of the day.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@twoodwar, I'm going to check with the Hotel as their website isnt 100% clear. This would offer the most flexibility I guess but at a price Confused
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@DCG, my (poor) reading of the map got me thinking this would be the most used station - thanks!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DCG wrote:
If you use the Matterhorn Express base station then you need to use buses or taxis and at busy times it can be quite a battle to get a taxi back at the end of the day.

There's quite a lot of accommodation along the road to the KM lift, a 10-minute walk into town of an evening may be deemed preferable to waiting around for the buses or paying through the nose for a taxi.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
DCG wrote:
If you use the Matterhorn Express base station then you need to use buses or taxis and at busy times it can be quite a battle to get a taxi back at the end of the day.

There's quite a lot of accommodation along the road to the KM lift, a 10-minute walk into town of an evening may be deemed preferable to waiting around for the buses or paying through the nose for a taxi.

Agreed, but the OP is staying at the Monte Rosa
ski holidays
@DCG, Sorry, missed that bit.
ski holidays
@slow007, I seem to recall that some of the ski hire companies would transfer your skis overnight from one base station to another to give flexibility, but not sure whether this would include boots and even if it did whether that would be desirable from a security perspective.
ski holidays
I can report that the Dorsaz lockers do what they say on the tin. Easily fit 2 pairs of skis and boots with boot heater. Lift to a very neat and tidy room with comfy benches to change on. Stones throw from the bubbles. Run by very friendly lady with excellent English.
latest report
ster wrote:
I can report that the Dorsaz lockers do what they say on the tin. Easily fit 2 pairs of skis and boots with boot heater. Lift to a very neat and tidy room with comfy benches to change on. Stones throw from the bubbles. Run by very friendly lady with excellent English.

Are the lockers free if you rent ski equipment from them?

Do you need to book the lockers beforehand? Sometimes you don't know how the day will pan out.
latest report
@viciousvulture, we had our own gear so don’t know about the first q.

They recommend booking, but they would, wouldn’t they. We went recently so it was v quiet. We got locker #1 by booking a few weeks ahead for one day then extended it when there. The three days we were there we only saw one other locker used and that was #2. But they don't have many so they could well sell out in busy times.

For q1, if not on the website, give them a ring. She was really friendly and her English excellent.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy