Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The correct way to do a Push-Up

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
This is one of my favourite exercises and one that is often done wrong.

Looking at this video, I was probably around 85% correct.

If Press-Ups are part of your routine, this is worth 10 mins of your time.

http://youtube.com/v/-Mbr55h3BeQ
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well, Old Fartbag, I don't do weights or press-ups any more, but back when i did i was never told how.
For a complete ignoramus I thought that video was brilliant.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Good video, to spice things up a bit and raise ones core strength hold the body in the plank position holding the stomach muscles under tension, do the press up too make it harder raise one leg and then do the press up.
When that becomes easy,get an exercise bench with feet on the bench or say a Bosu ball making the body almost horizontal hold the stomach under tension and do the press up. Then raise one leg at the same time
This will definitely raise ones fitness to a new level.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Jonpim, @Forst, Yes, I thought it was a good video - and the technique is grounded in the good form of a properly done Bench Press.

Like all exercises - it is dramatically more difficult if done without cheating.

As somebody who has mostly given up "proper" Free Weights (I only now use lighter dumbbells), due to back surgery - and prefer Body Weight exercises and Resistance Bands (sometimes combined with Body Weight).....I find I can keep strong enough for my purposes.

When I look around the Leisure Centre that I use - of the people I see doing Press-Ups - very few do them slowly, with full range of movement - and I don't think I've ever seen anyone incorporating all of the checklist mentioned above.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Old Fartbag, one in two sit-ups is being done incorrectly too - using 'bounce' and/or pelvic tilt to cheat.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hurtle wrote:
@Old Fartbag, one in two sit-ups is being done incorrectly too - using 'bounce' and/or pelvic tilt to cheat.

I don't like "Sit-Ups" at all, as once you lift more than your shoulders off the ground, you are using the hip flexors to help. IMV The Trunk Curl is a much better exercise.

After Back Surgery - my Physio had me do them in a way that I believe is grounded in Pilates ie. Pull your belly button in to the spine (and hold it there) and push/round your back into the floor (which i believe engages the core like skiing) - and perform the trunk curls like this (very slowly, pausing at the top to give the Abs an extra squeeze).

Done in this way, they are very tough - and people who were doing 50 by quickly bouncing up and down - struggled to do 10. With muscles, it is "Time under tension" that is important- which is undermined by using momentum and gravity.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Old Fartbag, yes. I do Pilates, a lot, and we call them spine curls. I thought they were called sit-ups in 'common parlance', sorry. We tend not to repeat them, as such, in class, or maybe only a few times, then we settle into position (in a curl) and do fancy things with our legs! Toofy Grin And sometimes our arms at the same time, though that can tend to be a bit 'necky' if one's not careful.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hurtle wrote:
@Old Fartbag, yes. I do Pilates, a lot, and we call them spine curls. I thought they were called sit-ups in 'common parlance', sorry. We tend not to repeat them, as such, in class, or maybe only a few times, then we settle into position (in a curl) and do fancy things with our legs! Toofy Grin And sometimes our arms at the same time, though that can tend to be a bit 'necky' if one's not careful.

Well, in that case (if you forgive the expression), "I'm teaching my Granny to suck eggs" - as you have probably forgotten more about Pilates than I know.

Pilates is a wonderful thing to do as a skier - it's just I have to be very careful about not overloading my lower back muscles, which can't handle it - I suspect the weakness is due to fact they had to be cut through to allow the Surgeon access to L3/L4 - and then reattached.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Old Fartbag, yes, it's so very easy to fail to engage the abs enough to take the load off the lower back. I carelessly did that myself the other day and paid the price for a couple of days.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Im not sure this video is the consensus but its mostly good. Training to be a weightlifter is not the same as a real athlete IMHO. I don't need to replicate a bench press, I need to have useful strength and I like to practice mechanical form and muscle isolation.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You should vary hand width apart, hand angles and position of body above the hands for an better all round workout IMHO.

Press-up boards or even just hexagonal dumbbells are good for that.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skithesteelstealtheski wrote:
Im not sure this video is the consensus but its mostly good. Training to be a weightlifter is not the same as a real athlete IMHO. I don't need to replicate a bench press, I need to have useful strength and I like to practice mechanical form and muscle isolation.

I would say that "Good Form" is good form and applies wherever you use it.

When I used free weights, I was not training to be a Weightlifter, but preferred them to machines. Now I prefer Callisthenics and Resistance Bands for strengthening, which suit me better for "real world" applications.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy