Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Niseko Snow Reports

Poster: A snowHead
@musehead,
How strong are the strong skiers? Are we talking steep couloirs and cliff jumpers Shocked , or something more steady? Puzzled

We've skied twice at Silverton, Colorado, which advertises itself as suitable for strong skiers, and have been ok. But we don't jump cliffs or ski "no fall zones"! wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bergmeister wrote:
@musehead,
How strong are the strong skiers? Are we talking steep couloirs and cliff jumpers Shocked , or something more steady? Puzzled

We've skied twice at Silverton, Colorado, which advertises itself as suitable for strong skiers, and have been ok. But we don't jump cliffs or ski "no fall zones"! wink

Nah the terrain skied has no cliffs or "no fall zones", there's nothing particularly steep. Personally I don't jump cliffs but I like steeps, however I've not skied anything steep in Hokkaido. Just deep powder and sometimes variable/windblown snow conditions etc. Everyone had strong technique and good form skiing powder/variables as far as I remember.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for that @musehead. It sounds like just the ticket and on a par with the non-extreme (but sometimes steep) terrain we've encountered on 3 or 4 catskiing trips to British Columbia.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
(Following a bit on the US storms), it made last night's national TV news here in the UK that Japan is being battered by snow Shocked

Is this winter's weather unusual? Do flights into Sapporo get affected? I'm assuming it's good at snow clearing etc.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@mountainaddict, Yeah I'm sure there'll be nothing any more difficult than what you'd find on a catskiing trip in BC.

Regarding flights to Sapporo - I've had at least 15 landings/departures during Jan/Feb and have only been affected by snow once. In that case, I was still able to fly but had to make a last minute booking on JAL as my Jetstar flight was cancelled. Due to the position of Chitose airport it gets a lot less snow than the mountain areas to the West of Sapporo. But it can be affected sometimes. Last time I was driving through blizzards out of Otaru and Sapporo, but skies were quite clear by the time I got to the airport.

I don't think the snow in Japan is anything unusual this year.

https://www.snowjapan.com/japan-daily-snow-weather-reports/niseko-now/season/2022-2023

The archives here are useful for comparison. For Niseko, the snowfall total this month is almost the same as last year, a little less than December 2020, and a fair bit more than December 2019.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hyst wrote:
Not a catski operator, however it is the coolest guy on the Shiribetsu. Pär Dahlin

https://parpowparadise.com/

https://www.powderlife.com/blog/par-dahlin-in-focus/

I'm quite interested in a day with this fella - has anyone been to his hill? Is the terrain ok? I've watched a couple of videos and it looks pretty good. Anyone got any experience with Par? (doing the 'skidoo'ski days?)
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@rogg, if you have Amazon prime search for a Japanese movie called snowsurf. Apart from being really good and having some great footage of a few well known surfers having some japow fun, there’s a segment in there about pars pow paradise. Looks epic.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt5116938/
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Heading over tomorrow

Arrive at 3 in the pm on New Year's Day

Can't wait Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Are you going to spend the New Year in a plane Mike?!
That’s pretty cool!

I remember a futuristic story in 2000AD comic where people took a version of Concorde around the world backwards, stopping every hour to celebrate NY Smile
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cheers I just watched that @hang11, the powder horn is strong now!!! Man they make some lovely shapes on snow. The bit on Par has me sold, I'll email him and check on availability.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mike Pow wrote:
Heading over tomorrow

Can't wait Smile

Enjoy. Looking forward to the first faceshots vids snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BobinCH wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:
Heading over tomorrow

Can't wait Smile

Enjoy. Looking forward to the first faceshots vids snowHead

Thanks

In, unpacked, gear ready for tomorrow

Dumping at 23.30

Christmas Eve all over again Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Monday 02 January 2023

Cracking first day at Rusutsu

Cold, dry powder all day

The sun even came out for a bit

Face shots for fun

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 4-01-23 7:07; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sounds fantastic @Mike Pow Very Happy Keep the reports coming.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tuesday 03 January 2023

Deeper

30cm overnight

East Mtn Gondola closed all day

Big queues on that side

Stayed on West Mtn

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 4-01-23 7:08; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Wednesday 04 January 2023

Full reset

15cm overnight

East Mtn Gondola still closed

Stayed on West Mtn again

Sun came out

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 7-01-23 9:22; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I am thinking of dates around the last week of January for next year.
Will that beat the crowds? I know China New Year is on the 10th of Feb. & Australia/NZ has a long summer holiday time to the end of January.
snow report
Slightly off topic (apologies) but nearest thread I can find without starting a new topic.

Has anyone been to Sapporo Snow Festival? It's on when we're in the vicinity in early February, so we're planning on attending Very Happy The online pics of previous years' ice sculptures etc look amazing.

From what I can see on the website (some of which is only in Japanese), the festival takes place across two or three locations. Are these all a must? And, if so are they reasonably close together? Is it best to go on a night, with things lit up, or is it all worth a look by day too?

Cheers.
ski holidays
@mountainaddict, been to Otaru (30-40 min away by train from Sapporo) and they had a nice snow sculpture show at the same time as Sapporo and loads of ice lanterns with candles lit by the canal. Only saw Sapporo snow festival on youtube, looks very nice but rather crowded. For that reason I would go to Otaru.
Love Otaru, have a couple pointers for restaurants there after having stayed 8 days in total over two visits.
latest report
I’ve only been there in daylight, but it would be much better at night. As mentioned above, expect it to be very busy, there was crowd control with typically polite staff keeping everyone moving.

There was even a slope style show going on.

ski holidays
@Gored, First week of feb is probably a better time to avoid all the Ozzie crotch goblins and their parents
snow report
Gored wrote:
I am thinking of dates around the last week of January for next year.
Will that beat the crowds? I know China New Year is on the 10th of Feb. & Australia/NZ has a long summer holiday time to the end of January.

Should be best option in January
snow report
Friday 06 January 2023

Full reset

18cm overnight

East Mtn Gondola still closed

Went across to East Mtn

Pistes in fantastic shape, plenty of untracked
snow conditions
Saturday 07 January 2023

Just a skiff overnight

Kiroro

Most of the off-piste not open yet

When it does it will be epic

Piste and fringes superb

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 9-01-23 5:00; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Quote:
Ozzie crotch goblins
Never heard that before and have to say...My mind is boggled Laughing Is it perhaps to do with Kylie's short stature Puzzled
ski holidays
Sunday 08 January 2023

9cm New Snow

Back to Rusutsu

Well tracked but the pistes were fantastic

Surprisingly quiet

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 12-01-23 8:11; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@Mike Pow, a pic would be nice Smile
ski holidays
mooney058 wrote:
@Mike Pow, a pic would be nice Smile

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cm98CFSBmCM/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CnDPWT0hqUd/
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cheers @Mike Pow, looks amazing - sun and dry snow Smile

Hmmm, can we talk already for the next season? End-Feb, early March.
snow conditions
mooney058 wrote:
Cheers @Mike Pow, looks amazing - sun and dry snow Smile

Hmmm, can we talk already for the next season? End-Feb, early March.

Will PM you

Thanks
latest report
@Mike Pow, here is a suggestion for you:

You organise a snowHeads group trip to Japan for next year.
Everybody responsible for their own travel and paying for it all, but you negotiate a deal with a hotel etc.
You then act as guide/leader/whatever and probably get at least one other of your mates there to do similar so the group can split between abilities.
Stay in Niseko for convenience?
Outings to Kiroro, Rusutsu etc.
Obviously you get paid for this!

I'd sign up for sure.
latest report
@rungsp, no need to negotiate hotel deals, could be arranged amongst those interested. Have a couple of ideas for budget accom, eg Moiwa Lodge capsule hotel from which Mike once picked me up. Only issue is transport in case going further than Niseko Annupuri or Moiwa.
snow report
@mooney058, both times I've been there I stayed at:
Australian Alpine Club Niseko (you don't need to be a member!)
Simple, clean, friendly and inexpensive.
https://www.aacniseko.com/

Day trips to Kiroro and Rusutsu can be done on the day bus tours that run most days of the week.

If we could get a gang of snowHeads together I'd be well up for it, my wife doesn't really love powder skiing (just pistes) and my "kids" (who both spent a season in Niseko instructing) are now grown adults with proper jobs and a restricted amount of holiday days and budget.

Last trip we did a 2 center thing: Niseko and Sapporo
From Saporro there are bus companies that do hotel pick-ups and go to all the different ski mountains on a daily basis for day trips.
ski holidays
@rungsp, sounds interesting, I am in a similar situation re kids and missus. For my first JPN trip I chose 2 bases (Niseko and Otaru). For the second trip I added Furano and a day trip to Mt Racey/Yubari. Reasonable accommodation available in all destinations. Moiwa Lodge capsule (comfortable and clean option) was circa 30-35 GBP per night with a super breakfast buffet. Saw various size groups staying there. Hotel Smile/Green is another reasonable accom in central Otaru. Visiting some nice areas for ski and tourist stuff as suggested by MikePow. Wanted to do Tohoku next time but the draw of Hokkaido is veeery strong
snow conditions
Anyone know when they take bookings from?
latest report
rungsp wrote:

Everybody responsible for their own travel and paying for it all, but you negotiate a deal with a hotel etc.
You then act as guide/leader/whatever and probably get at least one other of your mates there to do similar so the group can split between abilities.

I'd sign up for sure.

Already booked for next winter through to end of February
ski holidays
Monday 09 January 2023

9cm New Snow

Day off

Tuesday 10 January 2023

15cm New Snow (in Niseko Hirafu)

Huge dump of snow on the Otaru and Sapporo side

Drove in to the Kiroro car park and it hadn't been plowed. At least 30 cm of new snow which had fallen in 4 hrs

Face shots in the car

Some of the deepest snow I've skied anywhere

Jarrod

https://www.instagram.com/p/CnS0wJ0h_O8/

Upper mountain was closed due to drifts of 135cm

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 14-01-23 22:07; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Mike Pow wrote:
rungsp wrote:

I'd sign up for sure.

Already booked for next winter through to end of February

Evening meal/drink slots still available?
snowHead
latest report
how can you book this early? I cant find anywhere to take bookings or at least get a price!
snow conditions
@Gored, Fight Club rules

Edit: Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy