Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les 3 Vallées 2022/23 - Courchevel, Meribel, Val Thorens etc

Poster: A snowHead
8611 wrote:
Comes up 4th on my laptop, a series of uniform squiggles like a piece of embroidery

That's odd. It's photo 3 on my phone! Puzzled We enjoyed our embroidery! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Looks fantastic @Bergmeister. What's the snow like at lower altitudes?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mountainaddict wrote:

What a difference a day makes! We are currently sitting under cover for a cuppa in Mottaret - sheltering from the rain Shocked .

Flat light and fog today, with great snow above 2000m. Below that becomes a sticky slushfest.

Still... no regrets about skiing in the rain in retirement, versus a day at work! Toofy Grin Very Happy

We still have 6 ski days left (of our 15 on this trp) so there's time for things to pick up - with big snow forecast again at the weekend. Fingers crossed that that materialises, followed by some good weather...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Spring skiing summed up, epic conditions come out of nowhere and then disappear down the toilet just as quickly!

Having said that, next week looks amazing as big dump at the weekend and then low FL's for the coming week.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bergmeister wrote:
mountainaddict wrote:

What a difference a day makes! We spent lunchtime sitting under cover for a cuppa in Mottaret - sheltering from the rain Shocked .

Flat light and fog today, with great snow above 2000m this morning. Below that it became a sticky slushfest.

Still... no regrets about skiing in the rain in retirement, versus a day at work! Toofy Grin Very Happy

We still have 6 ski days left after this (of our 15 on this trip) so there's time for things to pick up - with big snow forecast again at the weekend. Fingers crossed that that materialises, followed by some good weather...

We skied back to VT, via Mont De La Chambre piste, and the snow had become slushy and sticky below 2500m rolling eyes - but at least the rain didn't last long Very Happy .After a lovely (Nutella crepe and coffee) refreshment break (at Alpage Restaurant on Mt De La Chambre) we headed to the top of the Peclet gondola for our final run down Tete Ronde - where the sun came out and we had the place to ourselves Very Happy . It was an enjoyable day overall, with very few on the slopes.

The photos below show the run down to Mottaret from Plan Des Mains chair, the run in the other direction from there (back to Cote Brun chair), the view from the top of the Peclet gondola and the run down Tete Ronde.

ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I am staying in 1850 and the snow has been good despite the rain over the last 2 days. We skiid into Meribel centre today via Pic Bleu and Altiport and the snow wasn’t great. I think it was the last run down into Meribel centre (where you arrive at the downhill set up) this run was awful and this was at 11am this morning.

I want to ski over to VT but thinking better of it due to ever changing conditions and I don’t really want to ski anything low down into Meribel. I have never ski’d 1850 > VT so equally I could be worrying about nothing due to probable ignorance! Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Moorzee10, skiing to VT via Mottaret should be a fair bit nicer than dropping right down into Meribel. I wouldn't let that stop you from heading over and making the most of the 3V area. You can of course always download into Mottaret from Pas du Lac mid-station, and similarly (with a very short walk to get to the top station) download on Plattieres on the way back through Mottaret (worth considering in the afternoon if you don't like big slushy bumps)... saves skiing the lower sections down into the valley while en route.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
offpisteskiing wrote:
@Moorzee10, skiing to VT via Mottaret should be a fair bit nicer than dropping right down into Meribel. I wouldn't let that stop you from heading over and making the most of the 3V area. You can of course always download into Mottaret from Pas du Lac mid-station, and similarly (with a very short walk to get to the top station) download on Plattieres on the way back through Mottaret (worth considering in the afternoon if you don't like big slushy bumps)... saves skiing the lower sections down into the valley while en route.

Thanks for the advice - is the Marcassin ok for someone who can ski the Creux with no issues?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

for our final run down Tete Ronde

One of the most underrated runs in the whole of the 3Vs - it's absolutely ace.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Moorzee10 wrote:
offpisteskiing wrote:

Thanks for the advice - is the Marcassin ok for someone who can ski the Creux with no issues?

Both Marcassin and Niverolle are relatively steep (but wide) in a couple of sections but very manageable with a bit of caution (I'm using Creux as a reference) - I wouldn't attempt them at 9AM though as they can be quite icy at this time of year (I don't know if there's an overnight freeze forecast for tonight). Your best bet would be to try them at 10ish and then head for the mid station of Pas du Lac to download. Once in Mottaret you can jump on Plattieres and then the Cote Brune chair. You have a couple of options on your way back. Personally, I'm not a fun of the Lac de la Chambre blue (I board). I much prefer making my way up to the top of Tougnette (this will take longer though) and then taking Faon and Lievre down to Meribel. Then up Rhodos, down to the Altiport area and the Loze chair up to the ridge. Good luck and enjoy.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
franga wrote:
Quote:

for our final run down Tete Ronde

One of the most underrated runs in the whole of the 3Vs - it's absolutely ace.

Agreed! Lovely pitch, top to bottom. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Currently in Val Thorens. Weather has been quite cloudy all week and very mild. Our ski instructor says in his 40 years living here he has never had a season where the weather was so driven from the South West. At the moment the snow depths are OK although with no re-freeze overnight the snow is soft from the word go. Anything below 2,800m is like this - above is better. Les Menuires looking very green low down now and Meribel is very very slushy and difficult now.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The meteo france for VT from Sunday is very encouraging. For almost the first time since December 20, a sustained spell of zero by day, -7c minima.

It that comes off we’d have swerved an Alpine winter of slush and record breaking temperatures, as we’re off to VT tomorrow. Our last trip was proper winter weather in Schladming last December, a great week.

Fingers crossed.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Moorzee10 wrote:
I am staying in 1850 and the snow has been good despite the rain over the last 2 days. We skiid into Meribel centre today via Pic Bleu and Altiport and the snow wasn’t great. I think it was the last run down into Meribel centre (where you arrive at the downhill set up) this run was awful and this was at 11am this morning.

I want to ski over to VT but thinking better of it due to ever changing conditions and I don’t really want to ski anything low down into Meribel. I have never ski’d 1850 > VT so equally I could be worrying about nothing due to probable ignorance! Smile

Bit of a late response. We got back from 3V last Sunday after a week of mixed conditions. The best snow was in 1850 with the slopes around Saulire holding the snow well, and we were told that had been the case for most of the season The Jean Pachod off the top of the Chanrossa was also good, but dropping down into 1650 conditions were very soft. But a lot can happen in a week and conditions will no doubt have changed.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wow! What an afternoon in Val Thorens after the storm cleared today. These photos were all taken after 3pm.

As they say... every picture tells a story! Very Happy

Today was like cat skiing - but without the cat! Very Happy Very Happy

That's 2 epic days of powder in the last 5. Mustn't grumble! wink

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sat 1-04-23 20:13; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
@Bergmeister, wow!
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
@Bergmeister, wow!

Indeed! We couldn't believe our luck. We walked out at the top of a lift at 3pm in fog/whiteout - but as we clicked into our skis the cloud lifted and we were confronted with a looooong untracked powder field!

We just couldn't believe it. It was so bad, we lapped it 4 times! Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
@Bergmeister, more embroidery. What altitude was that at?
ski holidays
@Bergmeister: Will there be snow in April Puzzled

Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
8611 wrote:
@Bergmeister, more embroidery. What altitude was that at?

Circa 2800m. Very Happy
latest report
Very envious
snow report
franga wrote:
Moorzee10 wrote:
offpisteskiing wrote:

Both Marcassin and Niverolle are relatively steep (but wide) in a couple of sections but very manageable with a bit of caution (I'm using Creux as a reference) - I wouldn't attempt them at 9AM though as they can be quite icy at this time of year (I don't know if there's an overnight freeze forecast for tonight). Your best bet would be to try them at 10ish and then head for the mid station of Pas du Lac to download. Once in Mottaret you can jump on Plattieres and then the Cote Brune chair. You have a couple of options on your way back. Personally, I'm not a fun of the Lac de la Chambre blue (I board). I much prefer making my way up to the top of Tougnette (this will take longer though) and then taking Faon and Lievre down to Meribel. Then up Rhodos, down to the Altiport area and the Loze chair up to the ridge. Good luck and enjoy.

Me and my wife ski’d from 1850 to Val Thorens this morning. The slopes in 1850 were perfect - we warm up on Verdons and Biollay and then headed up the Suisses chair. Marcassin was crunchy but ok however Aigle was an ice rink and had large clumps of hard pack throughout. Probably my lack of talent but it wasn’t that pleasant.

However from Mottaret up to VT it was amazing. The slopes in VT were very busy but the snow was great. On the way back we skiid Lac De la Chambre which was awesome. Matre back into Mottaret was awesome before the final bit into Mottaret which was a bit slushy even though it was just after 12. We then ski’d across into Meribel and up the Rhodos and Loze back into Courchevel. Conditions generally are brilliant but Meribel isn’t great. For any folks heading there, you will already know this, but you have great access to higher slopes.

We did a return VT from Courchevel 1850 with 3 quick 20 minute pit stops in around 3.5 hours. On the way home it only took us about 1 hour 20 from VT to the centre of 1850.
snow report
The obvious lure of VT, exemplified in our taxi transfer this afternoon:

Moûtiers 11.5c
Saint-Martin-de-Belleville 5c (lots of mud)
Les Menuires 4c (worn looking pistes)
Val Thorens -2.5c (lightly snowing)

The week’s forecast looks perfect, sun and subzero temperatures.
snow conditions
Snow&skifan wrote:
The obvious lure of VT, exemplified in our taxi transfer this afternoon:

Moûtiers 11.5c
Saint-Martin-de-Belleville 5c (lots of mud)
Les Menuires 4c (worn looking pistes)
Val Thorens -2.5c (lightly snowing)

The week’s forecast looks perfect, sun and subzero temperatures.

I can't understand the "lure of VT..."

These photos show the awful conditions we endured in VT today! It really was miserable Sad

latest report
We’ve just commenced 7 days in VT. Haven’t been here for a long time. Enjoyed Le Plecet runs today and also those on the ‘Meribel side’ of VT.

Any recommendations for pistes in the Trois Vallees, please?

Confidence boosting cruising blues would be great for my wife.
snow conditions
The (blue) Tete Ronde from the top of the Funitel Peclet has been a long-time family favourite.
It comes out right by Chalet de la Marine for a Hot Chocolate as a reward.

If the pistes freeze overnight, first to soften up is Boismint. There's a blue off there too.
ski holidays
Snow&skifan wrote:
We’ve just commenced 7 days in VT. Haven’t been here for a long time. Enjoyed Le Plecet runs today and also those on the ‘Meribel side’ of VT.

The following are family favourites :

Belleville Valley : Tete Ronde (see post from @admin above), Genepi + Moraine (off the Moraine chair), Blanchot + Tetras (off Boismint), Bouquetin (off La Masse) and the Jerusalem / Biolley orgasmic combo (if open)
Meribel Valley : Faon (accessed from the Tougnette ridge), Choucas (off Cherferie) and Lapin down to Meribel Village (below the Altiport) ...
Courchevel : head to 1650 to spend a confidence-boosting day on the blues and the reds of the Chapelets chair ... and, of course, Folyeres down to La Tania

I would have thought the lower blues would be softening up after 11ish ...

If the objective is to boost your wife's confidence then I would head to 1650 for the next couple of days (please ask for advice on how to get there if you're not quite sure) if she feels that VT is too busy ...
snow conditions
When they rebuilt it why did they move the top station of the Le Praz cable car? Used to be able walk off and on to Chenus/Verdon as I recall. Now have to ski down to Plantrey and ski down. Or maybe I just haven't figured it out?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
admin wrote:
The (blue)
It comes out right by Chalet de la Marine for a Hot Chocolate as a reward.

And an excellent hot chocolate it is at the Marine too Smile
snow report
Layne wrote:
When they rebuilt it why did they move the top station of the Le Praz cable car? Used to be able walk off and on to Chenus/Verdon as I recall. Now have to ski down to Plantrey and ski down. Or maybe I just haven't figured it out?

You always had to ski down to Plantrey, or else walk up past the Forum - the old top station was below the Chabichou on the cut-through from the bottom of the stade to Plantrey…
snow conditions
franga wrote:
Snow&skifan wrote:

The following are family favourites :

Belleville Valley : Tete Ronde (see post from @admin above), Genepi + Moraine (off the Moraine chair), Blanchot + Tetras (off Boismint), Bouquetin (off La Masse) and the Jerusalem / Biolley orgasmic combo (if open)
Meribel Valley : Faon (accessed from the Tougnette ridge), Choucas (off Cherferie) and Lapin down to Meribel Village (below the Altiport) ...
Courchevel : head to 1650 to spend a confidence-boosting day on the blues and the reds of the Chapelets chair ... and, of course, Folyeres down to La Tania

I would have thought the lower blues would be softening up after 11ish ...

If the objective is to boost your wife's confidence then I would head to 1650 for the next couple of days (please ask for advice on how to get there if you're not quite sure) if she feels that VT is too busy ...

Thank you. Will get the piste map out and look to do them all Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
offpisteskiing wrote:
Layne wrote:

You always had to ski down to Plantrey, or else walk up past the Forum - the old top station was below the Chabichou on the cut-through from the bottom of the stade to Plantrey…

It's been a long while. I must have done the walk each time but don't recall it being a hassle.
snow conditions
Asking for your advice on ski schools, please … on private ski lessons in Val Thorens.

Three of us are having the skiing time of our lives here right now, this is amazing.

Whilst my wife, a confidence skier, has come here with none. Negative comments from the get-go, crept into the thinking. Now, finally she admits that a private lessons refresher is a must. We’re here until Monday.

Any recommended VT ski schools please, to book whilst we’re here? [Back in the day we thought ESF were awful … sorry if that offends any fans here].

Yours gratefully.
snow report
PM @Husky Dave, he's based over in Meribel and, of course, might be otherwise engaged as he's a busy lad but definitely worth the shot.
He is a firm favourite of snowHeads at the Bashes, particularly (though not exclusively) with ladies who are technically fairly capable but have taken knocks to their confidence. My Mrs. for one would follow him confidently into places that I'd only get tears and recriminations for taking her to Wink
ski holidays
admin wrote:
PM @Husky Dave, he's based over in Meribel and, of course, might be otherwise engaged as he's a busy lad but definitely worth the shot.
He is a firm favourite of snowHeads at the Bashes, particularly (though not exclusively) with ladies who are technically fairly capable but have taken knocks to their confidence. My Mrs. for one would follow him confidently into places that I'd only get tears and recriminations for taking her to Wink

Thank you.
ski holidays
admin wrote:

Sorry to bother you, please can you give me the link to his account/exact screen name, for me to pm him.

I’ve been unable to trace him in the member listing, etc.
latest report
PM Husky Dave
latest report
admin wrote:
PM Husky Dave

Thank you so much Little Angel
ski holidays
Skied Julie today. Has that piste been there very long? Don't ever recall skiing it.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 6-04-23 19:25; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
admin wrote:

Well, thanking you kindly @admin. Much appreciated!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy