Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les 3 Vallées 2022/23 - Courchevel, Meribel, Val Thorens etc

Poster: A snowHead
Incredible day! Got some real hero turns in the side piste at Orelle, had a very happy morning lapping the lifts at Orelle and upper VT. Skied down as far as St Martin express in the afternoon before realising that further would cut it fine for getting back. Came back over to Orelle via Portettes and the funitel, blue Lory to descend to the telecabin was full of windblown powder which was a lovely end to the day. Didn't find any bad snow all day Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
+1 for top day!
We managed to get on one of the first of the St M express chairs as they opened at about 9.35am, when all info said the lift was opening at 10am. We did a lap down the boot deep snow off the side of Jerusalem before heading over the Meribel side to Choucas and then up the Olympic chair. The snow was a tad heavier as we came down the Face making fresh tracks-but I guess now the mornings are lighter, the east facing slopes soften up in the warmer morning sun. We debated whether it would be worth skiing further into Le Raffort, but decided the snow might be just too thin that low down. So instead we went back up Olympic, down the blue and then back over to the St M side for another lap off piste all the way back to St M express before heading to Teppes and the Granges chair. The Teppes drag and the associated off piste either side is a great spot and relatively quiet compared with certain hot spots on days like this. All snow consistently fluffy. There’s no need to go far from home on a powder day!
For lunch however (this being our last day), we bombed down from the top of Teppes to Mottaret, mostly on piste, half way up Pas du Lac and then on piste to Meribel Village. Great lunch at The Lodge du Village before heading home through Meribel (usual mixture of ice, mush and chaos on the way down to the Chaudanne). Our final descent was one more off piste/on piste descent of Jerusalem to the bottom. The snow was softening up en route to St M, but was still a lot better than recent days. Thighs hurt!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Been following the VT cams with a grin on my face. I may get a chance to head in to VT middle of next week (staying in Les Contamines, but have mates skiing in VT so may drive over to ski with them). As it's a 2+ hour drive, keen to get the low-down on best places to park mid week? Never been there, so any suggestions welcome!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
More great snow today up high but called it a day at 2pm as getting smooshy, even at 2200m

Did Pointe de la Masse first thing and enjoyed Covilli before going up the super steep Masse button to get to Dame Blanche. The latter was absolutely amazing, lovely snow and no crowds.

Combe du Vallon was moguls top to bottom when we did it around mid-day and reasonably enjoyable if tiring. Sadly saw a few casualties on the way down.

Heading to the hotel pool now!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@NoDosh, if it’s just a day, park at P4 just after the avi tunnel on the main road up. You can then walk across the footbridge and buy a lift pass at the Cairn/Caron lift station. This winter they have introduced payment for the day (it used to be free for a day), but I don’t think it’s more than about €6.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@NoDosh, if it’s just a day, park at P4 just after the avi tunnel on the main road up. You can then walk across the footbridge and buy a lift pass at the Cairn/Caron lift station. This winter they have introduced payment for the day (it used to be free for a day), but I don’t think it’s more than about €6.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A great couple of days in the 3V, but a lot of very close calls out there both days - we looked across at the Lac du Borgne slopes this morning and I pointed out some tracks traversing across to access the Col de Borgne skin track a bit higher than if you come in off the 'regular' entry. This afternoon as we came back over we were greeted by this:

Look closely lower right and you can see the tracks from the morning traversing out (along with others). Word from the pisteurs is that the slab spontaneously released with the heat this afternoon, but the skiers who crossed it this morning can definitely thank their lucky stars!

Plenty of good skiing to be had though:

Very warm this afternoon as forecasted so sadly anything that isn't really north-facing is going to be getting heavy/crusty...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Perty, many thanks, just the info I needed Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@NoDosh, glad to hear it. Just too be clear, P4 is the second car park on the right after the Avi tunnel. P5 is immediately before that, which is still free (I think) but it's quite a walk to the slopes and lifts which are right at the top end of P4. See link to the map here :
https://www.valthorens.com/uploads/portfolio/title_desc_translation_description-fr/PLAN%20PARKING.pdf
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@NoDosh
If you intend buying a 3 Valleys pass you could, alternatively, park for free at La Masse lift at Les Menuires (2 open air car parks next to the lifts). There is an automated lift pass dispenser there and you are only 2 lifts (Doron chair and Mont De La Chambre chair) and 1 ski run (Pluviometre, blue piste) away from VT. That would save you about 15 minutes driving, each way. And at the end of the day it's downhill, straight back to the car - about a 15 minute ski from VT.

You pay your money and you take your choice! Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@NoDosh, good advice from Bergmeister above, except that the ski down at the end of the day is on the Boulevard Cumin. At current temperatures it is going to very sticky to the point of unskiable if yesterday is anything to go by. Let’s hope it cools off again soon!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Our final day today and we were on the first lifts up high. About three hours of great skiing this morning high up before things got noticeably heavier and slushy and we decided to call it a day.

Heavy horrible snow returning into Les Menuires this afternoon, getting to the point when the possibility of injury was far outweighing the fun.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@NoMapNoCompass, slushy bumps are ace fun!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@kitenski, yes approaching the best time of year I think. Warm sunny days, lovely soft bumps with snow face shots Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Too warm in Les Menuires to even have slushy bumps, just puddles.
ski holidays
10cms of fresh last night which was somewhat unexpected... Pistes didn't seem in particularly good shape (mix of ice and new snow bumps) but off piste was really quite pleasant with the new layer on top!

snow report
Last minute tripped booked today for Courchevel for next week. Will be skiing 29th - 03rd April. Cannot wait!
ski holidays
Snow holding up well above 2000m in the 3V this week, despite summer weather conditions prevailing. In fact, we’ve had a few summer hols with cooler conditions.

Great skiing on piste for us “once a year warriors”, other than the slush fest below 2000m heading home or into Meribel when changing valley.

But slushy moguls have a charm of their own I think - mainly that they aren’t icy moguls!
snow report
I have read a lot about Meribel in April being a bit troublesome due to hard-pack ice in the morning and slush in the afternoon.

I only took up skiing last March with a first trip to Courchevel 1650 where I did a week of ski school. I caught the bug big time, as did my wife, and we have been on 4 trips since and have a modest apartment booked for 1850 next week.

We are returning to the 3V as we barely scratched the surface when we went last March, and we love skiing from village to village and having a coffee and enjoying the atmosphere.

For folks aware of current conditions, is this feasible for us to ski into Meribel centre and St MdB next week? We are both low end intermediates - can ski blue and red pistes (I survive on a few very steep reds and moguls) but keen to understand how realistic our tour of the 3V may actually be next week? Thanks in advance.
snow report
There will still be lots of snow in 3V for you to enjoy skiing, you also might get some new snow which is a bonus. However, prepare yourself for spring conditions though which will be hard pack in the morning and slushier heavy snow in the afternoon. With that in mind and as you are earlier in your ski career you will have more fun heading high and enjoying the better quality snow. That means that it will be less practical to ski between lower villages as you will find it takes longer and is more tiring. You'll probably also want to call it a day a bit earlier than you would if you are skiing in Jan/Feb for the same reason above.

Plenty of great runs higher up to enjoy, you'll have a great week.
snow report
NoMapNoCompass wrote:
There will still be lots of snow in 3V for you to enjoy skiing, you also might get some new snow which is a bonus. However, prepare yourself for spring conditions though which will be hard pack in the morning and slushier heavy snow in the afternoon. With that in mind and as you are earlier in your ski career you will have more fun heading high and enjoying the better quality snow. That means that it will be less practical to ski between lower villages as you will find it takes longer and is more tiring. You'll probably also want to call it a day a bit earlier than you would if you are skiing in Jan/Feb for the same reason above.

Plenty of great runs higher up to enjoy, you'll have a great week.

Thank you for this great insight. Much appreciated
ski holidays
@Moorzee10, I echo the above comments. I'd encourage you to ski over to St M in the morning before the pistes warm up-though the forecast looks quite promising for some fresh snow and colder temps early next week, so maybe you will find some good stuff lower down. There are some lovely coffee and lunch stops on "our side" of the mountain. For a touch of bling, ogling the most amazing interior design and a well above average hot choc-Maya Altitude (on the ridge between the top of Tougnette 2 and the Jerusalem piste) is quite something. For rustic charm Corbeleys (bottom of St Martin express) or La Loy below that enroute to St Martin are two of our faves. If you want a good sense of what St M is like, then turn right after the tunnel under the road and ski to the bottom of the drag lift-you get a better view of the village than just heading straight to the bubble.

Keep an eye on any signs that advise against leaving your own valley which is only likely of the lifts might close because of strong winds.
The better (i.e easier) route from Courchevel 1850 to St M would probably involve skiing down into Meribel rather than Mottaret-the red run Aigle into Mottaret can be quite challenging.

One other thing-if the snow is soft and mushy in the afternoon from mid mountain down-there is no shame in downloading from the mid station of the Tougnette lift into the bottom of Meribel on your way back! Thereafter the easiest ski back into 1850 would probably be to take the Rhodos bubble up to the top (don't get out half way), ski to the Loze chair and head over to Courchevel that way.
snow conditions
Anybody use the 3 valleys app?

I thought I may be able to link in my ski pass card to check that my purchases of loaded but it seemed not?

Anyone use the friend tracking option? Does it work well.

What else is good?
latest report
The app is great as an interactive piste map and to check which lifts are open. The friend thing only works when switched on (have to activate each day for a set number of hours) and completely drains the battery when it is, although it is surprisingly good if you're willing to take the hit!
snow report
Perty wrote:
@Moorzee10, I echo the above comments. I'd encourage you to ski over to St M in the morning before the pistes warm up-though the forecast looks quite promising for some fresh snow and colder temps early next week, so maybe you will find some good stuff lower down. There are some lovely coffee and lunch stops on "our side" of the mountain. For a touch of bling, ogling the most amazing interior design and a well above average hot choc-Maya Altitude (on the ridge between the top of Tougnette 2 and the Jerusalem piste) is quite something. For rustic charm Corbeleys (bottom of St Martin express) or La Loy below that enroute to St Martin are two of our faves. If you want a good sense of what St M is like, then turn right after the tunnel under the road and ski to the bottom of the drag lift-you get a better view of the village than just heading straight to the bubble.

Keep an eye on any signs that advise against leaving your own valley which is only likely of the lifts might close because of strong winds.
The better (i.e easier) route from Courchevel 1850 to St M would probably involve skiing down into Meribel rather than Mottaret-the red run Aigle into Mottaret can be quite challenging.

One other thing-if the snow is soft and mushy in the afternoon from mid mountain down-there is no shame in downloading from the mid station of the Tougnette lift into the bottom of Meribel on your way back! Thereafter the easiest ski back into 1850 would probably be to take the Rhodos bubble up to the top (don't get out half way), ski to the Loze chair and head over to Courchevel that way.

Superb insight thank you for taking the time to post this.
ski holidays
Just back from 3V. Was raining this morning as I left Meribel.

As of yesterday, best snow was north-facing, above 2500m (sounds like a SCGB report...). Around the Moraine lift over in Val T, Sauliere in Courchevel, Orelle in general, and Cote Brune in Meribel. However, Val T was busy on the pistes - no major lift queues (5-10mins for a few) but people _everywhere_ on the hill below 2500m. Orelle in contrast was nice and quiet, as were the higher runs at Courchevel.

Below 2000m was enormous piles of slush by 11am. Not moguls in the traditional sense, because I seemed to go through them as much as over them... also there was rarely any rhythm to them.

Some spring powder still available around high up at the right time of day, but the thinness of the snow cover means a bit of playing chicken with the rocks to get the best stuff.
ski holidays
Freezing level has been yoyo-ing the last day or two - rain/snow limit yesterdaystarted about 2300m and came down to approx 2100m as the day went on.
Had a brief sortie today in Courch to test out some new bindings - maybe 10cms of new snow above top of Biollay (at a push), but quickly getting quite sticky as temps went up and down. Coverage is great above 2000m, thin below. Brigues down to Le Praz is hanging in (just) by a thread on the Boulevard des Amoureux bit, but Eclipse and Murettes look good still. Last week Truite from Mottaret to Meribel was definitely looking in a sorry state, particularly just below Mottaret...

Cold snow up high on Tuesday:

Great spring snow out beyond Orelle on Wednesday:

Last of the 'warm pow' on Thursday morning, before it all turned to glue!!:
snow report
It's currently dumping snow here in Val Thorens -and things are looking good this week! Very Happy

https://www.meteoblue.com/fr/meteo/semaine/val-thorens_france_6544556

What a pity we are here for another 10 days... rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Bergmeister, jealous, but good to see the weather is looking to stay cold for at least another week in time for us!
snow report
We went out at 3.30 today (after catching up on a few jobs) to ski a couple of hours in Val Thorens in one of the worst storms we have ever experienced! We stayed low, in the whiteout, but the crosswind and horizontal blizzard on 2 Lacs chair was shocking. We did 4 laps off that chair and skied some fantastic powder on piste, in zero visibility - then they closed that chairlift (presumably due to wind). We then skied Cairn and found more great on-piste powder, before heading up Plein Sud chair in the continuing whiteout, for our final run of the day.

Nevertheless it was a rewarding couple of hours and surprisingly enjoyable. It's still snowing now, so conditions will be epic once the storm clears Very Happy .
snow report
Perty wrote:
@Bergmeister, jealous, but good to see the weather is looking to stay cold for at least another week in time for us!

We will save some snow for you! Very Happy Toofy Grin
snow report
Fingers crossed as we are in VT from the 2nd April...Looking at the webcams visibility is atrocious but the snowcam has 40cm (unless someone has shovelled some on top) Laughing
ski holidays
Currently the first week in April looks like it is going to be epic. Fresh powder and low temps to keep it from turning to glue.

First week of April last year was also similarly epic when we were in Tignes.
ski holidays
Agree @NoMapNoCompass, we were in VT same week last year and had a wonderful time with fresh snowfall most nights. Feel very lucky.
ski holidays

Val Thorens is not short of epicality atm.

...and that was at the end of the day! snowHead
snow report
So jealous...

We were out this same time last year, this year we booked our final trip out Mar 12-19th as were worried about crap late season snow.

Trying to negotiate with my wife for a week out again starting on Monday.
ski holidays
admin wrote:
Val Thorens is not short of epicality atm.

...and that was at the end of the day! snowHead

You can say that again! This was today. Epic is an understatement! Very Happy Very Happy

snow report
That is some powder conservation in photo 4! Kudos!
snow report
8611 wrote:
That is some powder conservation in photo 4! Kudos!

Thanks. They were all our tracks! Very Happy Very Happy (But do you mean photo 3? Puzzled )
ski holidays
Comes up 4th on my laptop, a series of uniform squiggles like a piece of embroidery
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy