Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les 3 Vallées 2022/23 - Courchevel, Meribel, Val Thorens etc

Poster: A snowHead
After all the rain this afternoon, it finally looks like it's starting to snow at resort level in VT on the webcams. Just a question of how much they get overnight, and whether it lasts past the weekend. Upper slopes must be in reasonable shape at this point.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Forecast for next week looks promising too!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bergmeister wrote:
Anyone booked a trip to the 3Vs yet? We haven't booked yet but are planning to be in Val T in mid November to try our new touring kit for the first time - for 2 or 3 days before the season starts (hopefully on freshly groomed, but yet to open, pistes wink ).

We are switching from ancient Diamir Fritschi bindings to pin bindings and lightweight skis. We can't wait to try them! It may well feel like touring up in trainers (weight wise, at least) Very Happy.

We'll be in St Martin from 10th Dec for the first week opening of 3V. Hopefully also a few days at end of January on the way to Pre Birthday Bash in Alleghe.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We headed up to VT yesterday morning to check out conditions. The overnight rain/snow line was around 2000m. Up in VT itself, there was decent enough cover for keen ski tourers to have made some tracks up hill. We walked up the road/piste for 20 mins towards the Moraine lift. I reckon the overall depth was 6 inches or so in and immediately around the middle of the resort.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This is a link to our dog’s post about the conditions in VT yesterday. Snow good, but poor showing by the local marmots!
https://www.instagram.com/reel/Ck03wJDDnWW/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Perty wrote:
We headed up to VT yesterday morning to check out conditions. The overnight rain/snow line was around 2000m.

It rained to 2500 where there is now an ice crust in the snow pack and a weak layer forming at that point, something to keep an eye over the next weeks.

The skiing below that level has been described as "delicate" with "very poor snow cover" (I haven't tried, these are reports from people who have) and definitely keep to the pistes where they've done some snowmaking but it is possible to ski back to VT with care.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Perty wrote:
@Raceplate, Lovely pics.
Weather report for today-after a cloudy start, it's been tipping it down for about the last hour and the outside temp is about 8 deg at 1450m.

Wow, that is warm! Looks like temps are going to drop now though!?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Season opening at Val Thorens has been delayed.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sugarmoma666 wrote:
Season opening at Val Thorens has been delayed.

Oh really, where did you see that?... until when?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Its in the Daubé here:
https://www.ledauphine.com/societe/2022/11/13/val-thorens-la-station-repousse-son-ouverture-au-26-novembre

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 13-11-22 14:11; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@bensaunders1973, it's on their FB page. https://fb.watch/gMFBlEP0f1/

It seems they're going to hold out until the following weekend, the forecast signals are looking a little more promising so fingers crossed.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
offpisteskiing wrote:
Its in the Daubé here:
https://www.ledauphine.com/societe/2022/11/13/val-thorens-la-station-repousse-son-ouverture-au-26-novembre

Thank you!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PS can't say I'm surprised - down here in Bozel our rose bush is still producing flowers, which is slightly worrying (and very unusual) for mid-November...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
offpisteskiing wrote:
Its in the Daubé here:

Somewhat disappointing - as we booked this morning to fly out tomorrow (for 10 days), ski tour for a few days in VT then use the lifts from next weekend. Sad
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
Season opening at Val Thorens has been delayed
As of 2 mins ago, nothing about any postponement on the VT website. May as well let a few more people book from the 19th eh? Confused

snow report
Bergmeister wrote:
offpisteskiing wrote:
Its in the Daubé here:

Somewhat disappointing - as we booked this morning to fly out tomorrow (for 10 days), ski tour for a few days in VT then use the lifts from next weekend. Sad

You can ski tour at the moment... with care both on the return to resort and on the glaciers. Should snow a bit tonight above 2000 meters. The problem would have been a load of wrecked skis if they'd opened to punters.

From the ValTho website in case there is any doubt

Quote:
Information of November 13, 2022: Despite a strong desire to launch the winter season with you from November 19, the particularly anticyclonic weather in the fall does not allow us to open the resort and its ski area at the height of the quality that we want to offer you. The motivated and confident teams of Val Thorens have therefore decided to postpone the opening.

Currently the snow cover at altitude is satisfactory but does not allow a ski-to-door return to the resort. All the teams are already on the ground to prepare the ski area for you with an opening forecast for the weekend of November 26.

Ski passes and accommodation previously purchased via Val Thorens Reservation for La Grande Première on 19 & 20 November will be refunded. We invite customers to contact their host contact or Val Thorens Reservation. You still have a question? We have listed all possible questions in a special FAQ: https://wantto.ski/FAQ-ouverture
snow conditions
Snow guns on pretty constantly in Val Thorens now and the snow cover is much better than a few days ago. Looking promising for their delayed opening on the 26/11, especially as temps seem to her dropped below zero most of the time. Some of the higher webcams actually show much better snow coverage than this time last year.
snow report
offpisteskiing wrote:
PS can't say I'm surprised - down here in Bozel our rose bush is still producing flowers, which is slightly worrying (and very unusual) for mid-November...

I'm renting a studio in Bozel for the winter season, arriving on Dec 2nd. Any Bozel tips?

P.S I'll keep an eye out for your rose bush so I can keep up to date with the latest weather forecasts Very Happy
snow conditions
I'm excited for this year!

I booked a stay in Les Menuires from 1/8-1/16. It's my first time in 3V and I thought that would be a decent basecamp. 32/M snowboarded than can ride just about anything. I prefer to adventure on the mountain over spending time at the bar— although sometimes the bar is most definitely a part of the on mountain adventure. wink

Did I make a good choice on resort to stay?
snow conditions
@SocalSnowQuaker, good choice, be sure to get a full 3v pass and ski to Meribel and Courchevel. If the snow and weather conditions permit of course. Avoid the Ours run on the Meribel side, it's long an flat. Same for pretty much all greens on Val Thorens. And the long flat blue in Les Menuires, Gros Tongue, off the top of Tougnette when you come back from Meribel.
latest report
hi there, best ski school in courchevel please? some of the group need beginner lessons and me and my partner need a couple of private lessons

thank you
snow report
Some years back we used New Generation. We found both the ski clinics and the private lessons to be very good. I can’t comment on what they were like for beginners.
ski holidays
Davidpem wrote:
offpisteskiing wrote:

I'm renting a studio in Bozel for the winter season, arriving on Dec 2nd. Any Bozel tips?

P.S I'll keep an eye out for your rose bush so I can keep up to date with the latest weather forecasts Very Happy

Too late - have attacked it with secateurs now we have had a couple of frosts!! Happy Happy

No particular Bozel tips to pass on - the restaurants along the main street are all pretty good value, St Roch, Branzin & Cool-Heure café all pretty lively bars depending on the day. The 8 a 8 & Spar are handy but definitely more expensive than down the valley, so head to Super U in Salins les Thermes for any food shopping, though Joey the Butcher (up behind the post office, opposite the church) does some seriously good quality meat.
ski holidays
Tim Wall's latest report. I always enjoy watching them even though we've never stayed in La Tania - alway go higher up for Christmas/NY, but ski over for lunch a couple of times.

http://youtube.com/v/WfhT4ZD091w
ski holidays
We headed up to VT for our first ski of the season today. Sadly the free parking in P4 car park (the one that is just by the footbridge over the piste) is no more. The tariffs look like they are set at €6 for a full day (from 4 to 8 hours), though today it was a more modest amount.
Reasonable snow, really good in places and a bit hard in others. It was busy-loads of UK university students in particular.
ski holidays
Just measured 22cm new snow in the garden at 1450min St M today. It's a bit heavy, but still snowing despite the air temp being around +1 deg at the moment. More than the forecast predicted. Very Happy
snow conditions
Similar story in Mottaret. Clear at the top of Tougnette apparently.

snow report
was quite mixed today, heavy claggy snow down low and poor vis but top of saulire was lush and soft fresh snow on piste. not much open in Meribel and Mottaret sector totally shut in morning. Tougnette lower section failed for 15 mins or so and they booted everyone out of the queue. The app wasn't active so tough to know what was open, Wasn't the slickest of openings this year....
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looking good this morning. Chilly at the top -11C.

latest report
First day back on skis for me this winter today (too busy with non-ski work!). A bit chilly (-12 at bottom of Aiguille du Fruit) with an even chillier wind blowing right up top. Blue skies up high first thing, then the mid-level cloud burnt off midday-ish. Courchevel still on partial opening, but what little there is is in good condition Combe de Saulire, Creux & Biolley are skiing really well, Brigues down to le Praz is narrow but good grippy snow. Off piste is very thin, even right up top, though plenty of folks are quite happily charging about...
Bouc Blanc down towards La Tania thin and firm-ish (at least down to Dou des Lanches).
Dropped down Meribel side onceto the Saulire Express mid-station - definitely a bit firmer over this side (no surprise there...).

Verdict: not too bad, but lots more snow needed to get things properly kicked off, and to make the off piste viable rather than a rock lottery...!
ski holidays
Perty wrote:
Sadly the free parking in P4 car park (the one that is just by the footbridge over the piste) is no more. The tariffs look like they are set at €6 for a full day (from 4 to 8 hours), though today it was a more modest amount.

That's a shame - was always a great starting point for days over in VT. Similar story in Courchevel, where the free parking on the Jardin Alpin loop road and (I think) the Pralong loop beside it is all going to metered parking... $$$€€€ make the world go round sadly...
latest report
Val Thorens, -17 this morning, although didn't feel too cold. Off piste was ok high up now if you are careful for rocks, especially VT. Having said I've clipped a few.
latest report
Chucking it down with snow all the way down to the valley bottom this morning - and predictably absolute carnage on the roads - for some reason the powers that be don't seem to be enforcing the winter equipment on vehicles after 1 Nov law and there are still hordes of white vans, lorries and cars trying to drive anyway... Went to get the 8:30 bus from Bozel this morning and met 2 friends at the bus stop who had been waiting for the 8:10 bus and were still waiting...
Meanwhile the garden-snow-o-meter has properly kicked off for the winter:
snow report
What a difference a day makes! Yesterday was another bright, sunny day but very cold - -12C at 2000m. We ventured over to Courchevel where the piste conditions were significantly better than in the Meribel valley. It was also noticeable how much of the off-piste areas had been tracked out after a week's longer opening, despite the thin snow cover.
Today, we woke to at least 20 cm of fresh of powder, an avalanche rating of 4/5, low cloud and the outside temperature back up to +5C at 2000m. Visibility was quite good on the lower slopes and there was plenty of untracked powder to be found on many of the pistes. The Altiport chairlift was open this morning but appeared to be closed again this afternoon. The pistes are still pleasantly quiet, despite some areas not being open yet.

snow report
There's been at least 60 cm in the 3v, off piste is much improved, no more rock hitting today. Care required, nothing skied steeper than 30 degrees. Avalanches seen numerous areas.
ski holidays
Still snowing now, excellent conditions, poor vis, much better cover off piste
snow report
Any recommendations for a restaurant in Val Thorens for 8 people? Notice that some don't have great reviews but would like to hear from someone with experience? Averagely priced preferably but not a deal - breaker. Thanks
snow conditions
cmacm123 wrote:
Any recommendations for a restaurant in Val Thorens for 8 people? Notice that some don't have great reviews but would like to hear from someone with experience? Averagely priced preferably but not a deal - breaker. Thanks

Any tips on where to watch the World Cup Final too. Heading out on Saturday.
ski holidays
Wednesday was fairly warm and overcast with sleat showers up to 2000m. The trees lost most of their snow cover and the powder off-piste was noticeably heavier. The upper pistes were still good.
There was quite a heavy overnight freeze, which resulted in the roads and lower pistes being very icy on Thursday morning. The light was a lot flatter than it has been (particularly on Creux) but the upper runs on both sides of Sauliere were in great condition at 9.30 am.
Below the Rhodos mid station the pistes were fairly bumpy with ice cubes, while the upper pistes coming down from Tougnette were far better groomed than they had been earlier in the week. There were more snow showers late in the afternoon and overnight.
There is low cloud this morning with poor visibility. The forecast is for sunnier weather from Saturday.

ski holidays
Off piste route from Cima Carron to refuge Lac de lou good this morning. The La Masse route less so yesterday.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy