Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les 3 Vallées 2022/23 - Courchevel, Meribel, Val Thorens etc

Poster: A snowHead
@Mr_frosty, an few cm of fresh today came in but variable visibility with cloud banks rolling in didn't make for the best skiing. I went over to Orelle for a reccy and some good snow to be had up high and Cime off the top was ace... lower down pebbles, icy patches and 2ft slushy bumps coming home into Mottaret at 2pm....
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Fridge03 wrote:
Evening all,

Not weather related but we are staying in Reberty 2000 at the end of Jan. Can anyone recommend a decent ski hire shop or are they much a muchness?

Thanks in advance

We’ve used Skimium in Reberty a number of times. All good. Very convenient for the Ski Famille chalets. Book online for good savings, and use a Decathlon card for additional 5%.
https://www.skimium.fr/magasin-location-ski/les-menuires/skimium-reberty-2000
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've stayed in Brides in January and March and never had a problem with the gondola. Yes you need to be on the last lift down at 5 but there is some apres in the village. The cheaper apartments tend to be a trek from the gondola but there is a local bus service, just be sure your chosen accommodation is on the route. There were lockers available at the gondola base station.
I believe there is now a once a week apres bus service up to meribel and back but I've never used it.

btw. @thax2, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Headed from Mottaret to Orelle and back today and there was some great new snow there and on the Cime Caron ridge, 5cm I reckon, which made life a lot more fun in those areas. Early fog was rather unwelcome, but it broke around 11 for us and didn't return until about 1530. High on the mountain seems to be the secret for a bit of fun, but there are always slushy bump fields to negotiate in the way home when you're tired.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Heading to Val Thorens next week. Most of the models seem to be showing temperatures closer to the seasonal average and a moderate amount of snow spread across most of the days in the week.

Been twice to VT but never when it has been snowing though have experienced some bad fog. Will it be utterly miserable if it snows persistently all week? Will I be able to see anything at all?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@ManiaMuse, being anywhere above the treeline in a white out is going to make for very difficult skiing.

Very windy weather will close a lot down too.

But you can't have good conditions without it snowing and there is not a lot you can do about it.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@ManiaMuse, drop down to the tree lined runs if it’s very bad
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Anyone there this week? We're arriving in Méribel on Saturday for the kids' first ever ski trip, and my first for 8 seasons. Hoping for reasonable conditions to ease back in!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Word around La Tania is that there no chance of the snow cannons being on anytime soon as they have run out of water!

Apparently there was a big fire recently and there was hardly enough to put it out!

What water is left is being kept for the Eclipse piste
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

ord around La Tania is that there no chance of the snow cannons being on anytime soon as they have run out of water!

Apparently there was a big fire recently and there was hardly enough to put it out!

What water is left is being kept for the Eclipse piste

you would think the amount of rain and snow melt lately would be more than enough to replenish supplies !
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You guys aren't exactly inspiring confidence Sad
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Valiante wrote:
You guys aren't exactly inspiring confidence Sad

You’ll be fine. Conditions above 2000m were fine last week and it will be colder next week so you might even see some snow in resort
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Given the forecast I would jump at the chance to be out there next week.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Haha - that's more like it Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kitenski wrote:
@ManiaMuse, drop down to the tree lined runs if it’s very bad

You can't just "drop down to the tree lined runs" from Val Thorens, as there are no trees in any of the Belleville Valley's resorts Sad .

However, the good news is that you can ski to Meribel (only 2 lifts and 2 (long) runs away from VT) and ski in the trees there.
ski holidays
@Bergmeister, hence you are "dropping down" to a lower area rolling eyes
ski holidays
ManiaMuse wrote:
Heading to Val Thorens next week.

Been twice to VT but never when it has been snowing though have experienced some bad fog. Will it be utterly miserable if it snows persistently all week? Will I be able to see anything at all?

It is unlikely that you will be able to see anything in VT in the conditions you describe Sad . If that happens you could always look at the webcams in Les Menuires, St Martin and Meribel and head to where (hopefully) it's a bit clearer (assuming your lift pass doesn't cover only VT & Orelle).
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:

Dropping down suggested to me (& possibly to the OP) skiing down (or taking lifts down) directly to escape the bad weather. Maybe he didn't expect to go up higher into the murk (on 2 lifts), ski down a long run, take another lift up, then eventually "drop down" to Meribel.

Just thought it best to clarify...
snow report
Bergmeister wrote:
kitenski wrote:

Dropping down suggested to me (& possibly to the OP) skiing down (or taking lifts down) directly to escape the bad weather. Maybe he didn't expect to go up higher into the murk (on 2 lifts), ski down a long run, take another lift up, then eventually "drop down" to Meribel.

In this scenario (I've done this many times), I'd head down to Les Menuires via the Bd Cumin (as much as I bloody head that run) and then up the 2 ROCs to Tougnette (via Grand Lac and Pelozet). You can then ski Jerusalem / Loy all the way down to StM for a coffee or take the tremendous Faon and Lievre combo down to the Chaudanne.
snow conditions
@JDL65, I've just got back from Bride over Christmas. The Gondola from town has been updated and is decent even if it takes about 25 mins, barely any queue even over Christmas/NY.

As others have mentioned the gondola does shut early so you need to be mindful if you are heading back from one of the other valleys, we almost missed it a few times.

The nightlife isn't really anything to write home about in Bride but it wasn't a big deal for us.

I'd go back if we were going at a time when Meribel etc were super expensive.
snow report
franga wrote:
Bergmeister wrote:
kitenski wrote:

In this scenario (I've done this many times), I'd head down to Les Menuires via the Bd Cumin (as much as I bloody head that run) and then up the 2 ROCs to Tougnette (via Grand Lac and Pelozet). You can then ski Jerusalem / Loy all the way down to StM for a coffee or take the tremendous Faon and Lievre combo down to the Chaudanne.

Cumin and Jerusalem are both closed according to signs I've seen on the pistes.

Today was the first time it's been cold enough to put beers out in the balcony to chill since we arrived Very Happy

Skies were clear this morning, and there was evidence of snowmaking in Mottaret and VT, on the busier pistes that were getting trashed to deep slush in previous days. The child temperatures overnight have mainly had the effect of making most pistes rock hard, if, like me, you like a bit of loose to turn in, you need to pick your spot carefully. Our last lift back was the St Martin Express, and at the base station there was very little snow but what they've made.

Still, better than a day at the office!
latest report
I think today's lesson is "stay high".
Above 2000 at least, preferably 2500m.
Went to Courchevel in the soon-to-break-down Pas du Lac and had a great time on the reds on the northern side of Saulire. Vizelle was very busy but worth it for a second ride on a hard base that was not actual water ice, with decent loose, some of which was the 1cm that fell up there overnight.
But after lunch at the snack bar at the bottom of Aiguille de Fruits (possibly the only cheapish option in CV), we ended up going down to Chapelets, on rock hard grey ice in places. My edges, and abilities, aren't up to that!
Home via a couple of goes on the good run, and down directly to Mottaret past a sign that said "inadvisable piste", never seen that before! It wasn't that bad, just very slushy and thin in places.
Bought a file for my edges, see if that makes a difference tomorrow!
ski holidays
Looks like some nice snow fall coming to the whole area from Sunday, which should last for a few days. Thank you snow gods!
latest report
Brief Courchevel report from today:

Le Praz still accessible on skis - Brigues/Amoureux, Murettes and Eclipse all open - Eclipse is bulletproof (and they haven't even started watering it yet for the Worlds...) with some useful accumulations of sugar on top - it was quite 'stimulating' on 96 underfoot with not particularly sharp edges...

1550 still skiable via Tovets, which is about 25% width of normal:

1650 also still accessible (if brick 'ard down low).

Up high it gets good above about 2500m (same same as it has been all week...) - High & North still nice chalky snow off piste - the Saulire couloirs have a reasonable fill of snow in them for the time of year:

Pistes below 2500m a combo of very hard pack, with varying amounts of sugar on top / sugar bumps.

However, hopefully all this will evolve from Sunday as the forecast is set to 'perturbé' for all of next week, with more regular temperatures for early Jan, snow, and (sadly) strong winds...
ski holidays
@offpisteskiing, keep 'em coming please! Out in 3 weeks and this is my backup area if the closer to GVA resorts are still low on snow!
ski holidays
I was up in VT and Orelle again today and same as Courchevel. >2500 was very nice, below scrapey cannon snow and sugar. Sadly found a rock and dinged my new skis Sad I knew I should have waited for more base before busting em out but was with a ripper / ex racer and needed all the help I could get Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
Heading out to Méribel a week from today for a long w/e and then again at half term. Fingers crossed (but have sharpened the skis)!
snow report
Out in 2 weeks for our first week this year. Please keep the reports and photos coming regularly as I really have to decide whether to take skis or a board. Crystal have changed the weight limit for carraige so can't take both anymore.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi. Could anyone please advise how long it takes to get to the skiing above VT via the lifts if you stay in St Martin? Is it best to drive/bus to VT? Many thanks!
snow report
@Matrix, 45 mins or so.
snow conditions
@red 27, thank you!
snow report
@Matrix, drive/bus - are you nuts Laughing Laughing
latest report
@Layne, I was just thinking 15 mins drive to VT and straight into the high stuff. Taking the lifts looks (from the map) like you need to take at least 5 lifts to get up there. Am I wrong?
ski holidays
@Matrix, I've only stayed in Les Menuires but as far as I can see it's 4 lifts with a bit of skiing in between but getting there and back on skis is part of the fun is it not?

Much rather do that than de-icing the car and trying to find parking next to the lifts and/or waiting around for a bus.
snow report
@Layne, yes very true.
latest report
First morning in Mottaret and walked out into the chalet lounge to be greeted by an absolute white-out of snow, can't see the mountains. Seems to be snowing heavily all over the valleys. Happy days!
ski holidays
St Martin webcam has gone from brown to white in 24hrs

https://lesmenuires.com/en/webcam-saint-martin

So snowing down to 1400m already, temps going down, precipitation going up.

Happy days Very Happy
snow report
Gentle snow this morning at 1450m in St M. 11am balcony pic attached.

@Matrix, it’s a 15 min drive to the car park P4 from St M. it does avoid some of the crazy busy pistes into VT first thing.

Lift wise, the two main options are St M 1, the St M express, Granges, the either ski down Alouette (a fun red, to Cote Brune, or take Allemands to The Mont de La Chambre chair. Cote Brune and the Mont de La Chambre chair both take you to the top of Mont de La Chambre. From there most people take the run down and along the ridge towards VT and Pluviomètre (blue) or Goitschel (steep but fun). Alternatively head down the Mont de La Chambre blue run on the Menuires side and turn left after the Alpage restaurant.
The best route back (not via bvd Cumin): Pionniers or Plein sud chair, then the 3V chair or triple bubble to the top. Then you need to traverse across the top to the Menuires side, cross over the Mont de la Chambre blue and the top of 4 Vents red to the Bvd de La Lance which gets you to David Douillet. Head down and then right…pass the top of Sunny Express chair and follow the signs for Roc 2. It’s a lovely run back down to St M, non stop from the top of Roc 2. Unless the conditions are terrible or it’s early or very late season, it’s more fun to ski it I think.
ski holidays
@Perty, thank you for the detailed response. Much appreciated.
snow conditions
Afternoon. In Maribel for a week. Any recommendations for reasonable mountain/font de neige lunch stops anywhere in 3V that offer something decent at a good value? We were rather spoiled by Marmottes and Cascade in Val D offering plats de jour at €12 and 50cl red for €6 Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy