Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil 2022/2023 - Avoriaz/Morzine/Les Gets/Chatel/Swiss Side etc.

Poster: A snowHead
andy from embsay wrote:
Tetras has been ok this week for getting back to Super M - certainly better than a couple of weeks ago when it was actually open!

That's good to know. It's not possible to see how bad it is at the bottom from the top. It just says closed due to thin snow cover.

Snow started getting pretty slow this afternoon, and then it started raining in Avoriaz, so I called it a day. Sun's now out, which will be fine for apres-ski, but not for the snow.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
2023-24 Passes purchased for €570 a pop. I can relax now Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
To follow up on my particular situation of having purchased a boarder pass but not receiving the private sale codes, after emailing the sales team again this morning they've manually pushed an email to me with the sale code!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@klanfa, We bought 3 adult passes last year and one boarder pass, and we got 4 codes to use.
We used 2 of the adult codes this morning, but neither of our other codes worked for the boarder pass.
It looks like the BP price is just 448 before end of September and no additional discount code.
So we have 2 spare adult codes for the €570 price.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@OuatteDePhoque, I wondered that - I bought an adult and two boarder passes and have three codes. I can’t imagine I need a code for the boarder pass but was wondering if you can use a code for someone who didn’t have a pass last year?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@andy from embsay, It seemed like we could put new names and photos in, so I think yes.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@OuatteDePhoque, don’t want to get in trouble though! I think my mate can pay the extra €79 - he’s good for it!!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@andy from embsay, Still a great deal even with the extra €79.
120+ potential days of skiing for the price of 11-12.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
OuatteDePhoque wrote:
@andy from embsay, Still a great deal even with the extra €79.
120+ potential days of skiing for the price of 11-12.

Sure is. I saw a 6 day PdS pass is €310 from the lift pass office.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
And the 5-day Verbier ski pass is just as much.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think I am probably the last person to do Tetras this season. Rain turned it into a muddy road with brownish white borders. An 'interesting' challenge, but I didn't end up walking. I did have to pause a couple of times to figure out the least gravelly route through the large swathes of gravel/slush/mud.

Light rain throughout most of the day in Avoriaz. Now the cloud has descended, and who knows whether it'll be rain or snow tonight?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@crosbie, it will be light rain tonight and heavy rain tomorrow. The main problem tomorrow is going to be the wind. Much of the higher stuff, where it might be snowing, will be closed. Good chance of snow from Saturday though.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The lightening storm has just passed through St Jean. It's still raining down here and not looking like it is going to ease off for a while yet. A definite indoor or swimming pool day with my neice (4) and nephew (2) today.
Keeping fingers crossed for it to cool down and snow over the weekend.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No lifts operating in Avoriaz (yet). Windy/stormy/rainy.

Off home now.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The thunderstorms have now cleared over here as well, about an hour ago. Now looking a bit brighter.

Annoyingly for the last few days the live piste map has been showing all the Swiss side lifts as purple, meaning 'in preparation' even when they've actually been in operation. But I can see from my window that the Foilleuse chair is not running and infer that it's all closed over here as well. TBH it's now getting to the point that I'm thinking we may not ski again this season Sad
snow report
Avoriaz was, I understand, closed all day, but I don't know where that was actually *announced*. Is there an actively updated page somewhere, aside from the 'which lifts are currently open' info in the app, etc?

Some lifts in Morzine and Les Gets opened, so we explored that side for the first time this trip. The snow was very soft up top and slushy (if not just pools of water) lower down. But we had fun enough for a couple of hours, before realising we were trapped just above Les Gets. Perhaps the lifts we'd have needed opened later but we didn't stick around and went into Les Gets and booked a taxi back to Morzine. Hopefully the forecast snow in Avoriaz, and drop in temperatures, makes the next few days a bit better.
snow conditions
@Chaletbeauroc, PDS app also showing Panthiaz and Cret Beni lifts running, which the naked eye says is not correct.
snow report
@Matt1959, Yeah, still all wrong today. Better info here for the swiss side
@gendal, Live lift openings for Avoriaz here here
latest report
Complete mixed bag of weather today. Started with a white out in Plaine Dranse this morning. Then had blue sky and fresh powder going down the Swiss Wall at lunch! Finished the day in heavy slush skiing back down to the bottom of Prodains.
No queues on any lifts and lovely quiet pistes.
snow report
@Harriet_O, Yeah, it was certainly a bit variable, and hard work on last run down to PlJ, but I dispute your claims of 'powder'. Fresh untracked snow, for sure, but even at the highest we went today up at Fornet it was not in the least bit powdery. Smile

Still, gave the fat skis their first proper outing this season, so not a bad day's efforts.
snow report
Our expectations were not high this morning, but it has been one of the best ski days ever. It snowed on and off all day in Morzine Les Gets, and the slopes were pretty much empty, but there was so much fresh overnight snow to play with. Great fun on the Arbis! Downloaded in the Pleney bubble, but one of the team skied piste B which was ok.
Fab pizzas as ever at the Rosset’taz.
latest report
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
@Matt1959
@gendal, Live lift openings for Avoriaz here here

Many thanks. I'm still a bit surprised that a resort (Avoriaz in this case) could make the decision to close for a whole day but seemingly not actually announce that anywhere. Yes - they correctly showed their lifts as closed, but that's just a point-in-time statement... it wouldn't have told anybody that they were closed and were going to *stay* that way.
snow report
Arriving this evening, and picking up my fat skis from my friend's place in Morzine where I stashed them a couple of weeks back after a fresh wax.

Fresh, slush, don't care. Just grateful I can ski this coming week!

Seems it has got colder so pistes should be nice too, I hope? SL skis are in the boot...
snow conditions
The Perriere was holding up mid morning, but the Yeti is gone now. We went higher after elevenses - the Arbis, Creux and Aigle Rouge all significantly better than expected, actually quite good with all of yesterday’s fresh snow now bashed in, and no one else up there.
The run down from Nyon though was awful! snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
Arrived Sunday night in Morzine at midnight for three days skiing, felt like it must have been 6C+. With a friend who hasn't skied for a couple of years and itching to ski wherever he can. Is there still reasonable skiing Morzine/Les Gets side, if so which runs are holding up well and which to avoid? Otherwise, should we just head to Avoriaz. Any advice welcome. Cheers.
snow conditions
@MajorMarmaduke, you’ll be fine - see my previous posts - we’ve had two really good days on that side. Heading to the Avoriaz side today.
snow conditions
Was out both Sat and Sun.
Sat was plenty of soft fresh stuff, and it was snowing on and off.
Sunday there waere still some untracked bits hidden away:
Prolays ridge, between Chesery and Chaux Fleurie, under Rochassons, bottom of happy valley etc..
But it was quite a bit heavier on Sunday ( I think because of the humidity of the existing base ).
I was told by a very good skier that : "It's easier on a board" which I have naturally interpreted as "You make it look really easy" SmileSmile
latest report
Happy Valley, Linga, Happy Valley, Linga: repeat until too tired. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Great that the skiing has held up so well considering what looked like happening. Just booked for next year. March 16th for a week. Never been let down in March yet. Let's hope it continues. If not got chamonix for first time in February
ski holidays
Skied around the PdS yesterday as a day trip from Verbier with use of our free lift pass as annual pass holders in Verbier.

Rather cold and most pistes remained rock hard and icy all day unless they were in full sun in which case the almost instantly became deep slush!
That made things very variable on each run as its aspect changed.

Our overall impression: Very impressed!
For piste skiing what I saw of the PdS was superb with a great lift system too.

Just under an hours drive from our place to Chatel lifts....we will be back!
latest report
rungsp wrote:

Rather cold and most pistes remained rock hard and icy all day unless they were in full sun in which case the almost instantly became deep slush!
That made things very variable on each run as its aspect changed.

We're just back from 10 days in PdS, staying in Morzine, mostly starting each day in Avoriaz via Prodains. We had been pretty worried in the run-up, given how little snow there had been. But, in the end, it was probably one of our most fun ski holidays... I think we pretty much checked off every type of weather, and every type of snow.

Your comment about "rock hard" or "slush" resonates, especially for yesterday. We did Blue Velvet, off Brochaux, a week or so ago in a complete white-out and remember it being steepish in places for a blue but perfectly fine even without visibility. We did it again yesterday early afternoon and the difference was extreme. One fairly steep portion in particular was rock hard (and slightly bumpy, as if it had already started to freeze before the bashers had had a chance to do their work). Quite a lot of people struggling (including me...) It then turned ninety degrees and was instantly slush. Amazing contrast.
snow report
We are currently in Avoriaz and conditions have been good to date at high level and in Chatel.

Can anyone advise what it is like in Morzine / Les Gets at the moment. Just wondering if we make the trip tomorrow for some variation! Assuming it is not great, but ….?
snow report
snowfraise wrote:

Where do you consider Happy Valley? I feel there’s more than one place been given that name!

Thanks and happy skiing snowHead
snow report
@Richie456,

I’m not sure I’d bother.
snow report
@5RED, for us, it’s beyond the rope at the top of the Cornebois.
snow report
OuatteDePhoque wrote:
Was out both Sat and Sun.
Sat was plenty of soft fresh stuff, and it was snowing on and off.
Sunday there waere still some untracked bits hidden away:
Prolays ridge, between Chesery and Chaux Fleurie, under Rochassons, bottom of happy valley etc..
But it was quite a bit heavier on Sunday ( I think because of the humidity of the existing base ).
I was told by a very good skier that : "It's easier on a board" which I have naturally interpreted as "You make it look really easy" SmileSmile

It was great skiing with you on Sunday and you did make it look easy on frozen chop! Toofy Grin
snow report
5RED wrote:
snowfraise wrote:

Where do you consider Happy Valley? I feel there’s more than one place been given that name!

Thanks and happy skiing snowHead

The common interpretation in Châtel is the off-piste section to the skiers right on Cornebois lift and finishes above PLJ chair top station. (this is what kids call it when asked where they skiied during lessons). I think this is also called Donkeys. Think the original Happy Valley is elsewhere less accessible - would love to know? Puzzled
snow report
Richie456 wrote:
We are currently in Avoriaz and conditions have been good to date at high level and in Chatel.

Can anyone advise what it is like in Morzine / Les Gets at the moment. Just wondering if we make the trip tomorrow for some variation! Assuming it is not great, but ….?

Judging solely from what it looked like driving through, agree, I wouldn’t bother.

5th time in Avoriaz (3 at Easter) and looking probable won’t make it to Morzine or Les Gets again Sad
latest report
My understanding has always been that Happy Valley is everywhere in the V between the Combes and Cornebois chairs (i.e. a Y shaped valley). Happy Valley being anywhere else is ime people confusing it with Hidden Valley. Hidden Valley is somewhere else.... wink
snow report
@Ozboy, PM'ed you Twisted Evil
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy