Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil 2022/2023 - Avoriaz/Morzine/Les Gets/Chatel/Swiss Side etc.

Poster: A snowHead
@kitenski, I would have thought the day trippers would have added to the number generally tomorrow. They certainly did last weekend in Les Gets!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@kitenski, The old adage that saturday is the quiet day because of changeovers does not hold for Les Gets / Morzine. The car parks fill up very early and over the last month saturday has felt the busiest day of the week
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@kitenski, Linga should be open again tomorrow as I believe the racing finished today. Chatel will be quiet on Saturday and you will mostly have locals and ski clubs. Is driving and parking at Ardent an option for you as you can minimise faff time if you are leaving Morzine in the afternoon?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Does anyone know if the Linga will be back to normal tomorrow (Saturday)?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We did the Roc d’Enfer circuit this morning with a few extra runs. Beautiful for the most part, no one there and the scenery is stunning. The last long run was v scratchy.

The restaurant is struggling with a signal for it’s payment machine so best take cash if you’re going.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
snowfraise wrote:
Does anyone know if the Linga will be back to normal tomorrow (Saturday)?

Should be open as today was final day of Europa Cup.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks @Ozboy Smile
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Ozboy, that’s a good shout, we have a car so could do that. Is it pay for parking at ardent?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I received an email from tourist office earlier this evening. Good news, bad news. Which would you prefer first?

The good news is that Gabelou is back open from tomorrow.

The bad, that echo alpin is shut "en raison d'un problème technique", which renders the above good news a bit pointless (except for those doing the pds circuit going clockwise, I guess, ie not me )
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Skimum1, Cat-track or not, Cuboré Montriond-side is no place for the cautious/less-experienced. Your best route to CH would be to download the Swiss Wall chair (or work your way back round via Linderets).
@kitenski, Changeover-day quietness is no longer a thing, thanks to discounted weekend passes. It will be busy - I'd go for Prodains. (And Cubore->Abricotine to Linderets if the Tour chair is mobbed.) Oops, hadn't seen your reply to Ozboy. Yes Ardent would be good too.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kitenski wrote:
Is it pay for parking at ardent?

Ardent parking is free.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@kitenski, Over the last few years in Les Gets we have found that Saturdays have been the second most busy day of the week with a large influx of day trippers from Geneva including lots of parents bringing their children for lessons. Sunday with the addition of new weekly arrivals on their first day skiing and the day trippers can prove to be absolute carnage on a fine day with a decent snow cover.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bashers working hard now to spread all the artificial ready for half term on new Youtube fixed cam designed to show off their "Red Show" on Monday evening
http://youtube.com/v/mBLVjrRBj2I
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks all, going to prodains I reckon, less faffing than driving to Ardent!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
shep wrote:
@Skimum1, I'd go for Prodains. (And Cubore->Abricotine to Linderets if the Tour chair is mobbed.) Oops, hadn't seen your reply to Ozboy. Yes Ardent would be good too.

Perhaps being a bit dumb but using the app from the top of prodains I can’t see Cubore? Is it a run or a lift? The tour lift was fairly busy yesterday!
latest report
@kitenski, Best route from Prodains to Linderets avoiding queues: Prodains bubble, first part of Crot blue, Grandes Combes chair, Arare blue, hang a right round to Chavanette chair (or drag), Cuboré chair, Cuboré red (bump run), Abricotine blue, Brocheaux chair, Prolays blue.
snow conditions
snoozeboy wrote:
I received an email from tourist office earlier this evening. Good news, bad news. Which would you prefer first?

The bad, that echo alpin is shut "en raison d'un problème technique", which renders the above good news a bit pointless (except for those doing the pds circuit going clockwise, I guess, ie not me )

Did they say for how much longer EA will be shut? I think lapping Les Combes and Linga gondola should be very quiet today on good pistes.
ski holidays
@shep, thanks Cuboré was fun in flat light!

@Ozboy, Chatel lifts quiet as predicted thanks!
latest report
Curious to hear any first hand reports from today - planning to drive up from Geneva tomorrow.
snow report
@shep, thanks we did go via Mossettes and down into Crosets from there in the end. By cautious I mean I don’t throw myself down anything but definitely not used to turning back from a red. Good to know it wasn’t a waste of time having given it a miss.
ski holidays
Ozboy wrote:
snoozeboy wrote:

Did they say for how much longer EA will be shut? I think lapping Les Combes and Linga gondola should be very quiet today on good pistes.

No
ski holidays
We stuck to Morzine Les Gets today and played around in the bowl, Perrieres and Arbis before lunch. After lunch, it was a bit like spring skiing on the Nyon plateau and we called it a day.

Pleney car park was deserted at 9:15, but cars packed too tight to get back into at 3!
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
@shep, thanks Cuboré was fun in flat light!
Feel the Force, young Padawan... snowHead
Glad you had a good day in Chatel!
snow report
Skimum1 wrote:
@shep, thanks we did go via Mossettes and down into Crosets from there in the end. By cautious I mean I don’t throw myself down anything but definitely not used to turning back from a red. Good to know it wasn’t a waste of time having given it a miss.
Discretion is the better part of valour, esp. with a less-experienced skier in tow Cool .

Accessing the Swiss-side from Avoriaz, by ascending degree of difficulty/fun:

- download The Swiss Wall (Swiss Chavanette) chair (from Choucas chair or Chavanette drag)
- Grande Conche Bleue blue (from Cases chair)
- Col de Portes du Soleil red (from French Mossettes chair)
- Tovassière-Morgins blue (from French Mossettes chair)
- Les Mossettes red (from French Mossettes chair)
- The "ski-school couloir" (from Cuboré chair)
- The Swiss Wall black (now tragically renamed Chavanette Freeride) (from Choucas chair or Chavanette drag)
- "Death couloir" (from Cuboré chair)
- "Couloir poubelle" (from Cuboré chair)
- Col du Fornet couloir (guide only Skullie ) (from Fornet chair)
snow conditions
@shep, someone has been reading the lift map Very Happy
ski holidays
zzz wrote:
@shep, someone has been reading the lift map Very Happy
Haha, yup, didn't have clue what most of the names (or spellings) are, and those that I did turn out to be obsolete now! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
snoozeboy wrote:
Ozboy wrote:
snoozeboy wrote:

No

It just opened.
latest report
Ha. Just popped on here before going out to see if anyone could confirm it. It's marked as open on the interactive map, so maybe we'll head out in that direction.

I'm still very tentative with a damaged knee, hoping that I can ski without further damage until the end of the season when I'll be lining up for surgery. There's practically no cartilage left on the bone ends, and the meniscus has long-since gone on one side, so the bone-bone contact that results is what causes me problems, with osteo-arthritis as a result. I think I must have damaged some of the extraneous bone growth waiting at a bus stop a couple of weeks ago after a lesson, and have been nursing it ever since. First time back on skis today...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@klanfa, perhaps a bit late as only just woken up after getting home at 1am!

Skiing was good Saturday, using all the tips on here the queues weren’t too bad. Daughter and wife don’t like a rushed early start so by the time we got to prodains there was a 15-20min queue in place but after that virtually no queues.

Due to the warming temps lower slopes were a bit grabby and lumpy (still easy to ski) but the whole area was skiing very nicely.

Run of the day was just to the skiers left of Combe du Machon where the wind blown snow from Jean vuarnet had landed in the gullies and was a great albeit steep short run. As tends to happen lots of people standing at the top looking at the run then all followed our line!

Snow is generally good there are rocks and stones dotted around, some sizeable sharks sticking their head up out of the piste in some places. There are some bare and brown spots much lower down. I didn’t see/hear any cannons running since we arrived on Wednesday despite low overnight temps (& daytime cold Wednesday and Thursday).

General question, we enjoyed staying in morzine, liked the many restaurants and bars. However our daughter suggested staying in Avoriaz next time as by the time we’d waited for a bus to prodains then got up the lift we’d probably take an hour from hotel door to first ski.

So the question is, is accommodation lots more expensive in Avoriaz and also are there many evening restaurants to chose from?

The other option we’d consider next time is staying closer to the lifts in Chatel I think.
ski holidays
@kitenski, Sounds like you had a great weekend. Can’t really comment about Avoriaz but would be ideal if you can access long-weekend accommodation via Airbnb as I assume there must be excess vacancy outside of holidays.

Chatel is fast to access the lifts but you need to be happy to drive to PLJ from village if you want fast access to Linderets or stay at Linga.

The drive to PLJ is 10 min drive from the village centre and more than fine during quiet periods (car parks fill early during holidays). From there it’s 2 lifts to Linderets (TS PLJ or Pierre Longue and Rochassons). Advantages of staying in village are bars and restaurants (smaller / less lively than Morzine) and easy access to Super Châtel to access a vast quiet section of PDS straddling FR and CH - awesome when snow is great/fresh as everyone heads towards PLJ, Avoriaz. I think you get a very different perspective of the PDS from Châtel village vs staying in Morzine. (We seldom feel the need to ski in Avoriaz, other than passing through, and we do cover a lot of ground).

Linga is a top spot as long as you are happy to forego the village Center but does have a handful of bars, restaurants and ski shops - but is shaded from the sun in January. You can walk to the Linga gondola and from there and 3 lifts to Linderets (Linga, Echo Alpin, Rochassons) - or enjoy PLJ sector. You can also ski to Super Châtel. Or just get shuttle bus to Super Châtel or PLJ.

I think access to Chatel by car may be easier than trying to reach Avoriaz if you fly into GVA late in the evening.
ski holidays
@kitenski,

I like Prodains.
Yes it’s a quiet hamlet but there are a couple of places to have some food and drink. (We normally self cater).
The last free bus from Morzine back up to Prodains leaves Morzine at 9pm.

The last gondola back down from Avoriaz to Prodains is
Mon to Thurs 9pm
Fri and Sat Midnight
Sunday 10pm.

Prodains Hotel, Les Lans hotel are good.

Cheap Apt accom and decent food/Pizzas at the old Telepherique residence through ‘Capfun’ but it’s not for everybody (very cheap and basic).

Montriond is another alternative to staying in Morzine.

Couple of places to eat and drink there too and about 15/20 min flat walk back to Montriond village from Morzine on an evening.

The ‘M’ bus to Ardent passes Montriond and is a good way up in the morning but can get busy during the holidays.
ski holidays
@kitenski, After a few weekend trips to Morzine we stayed up in Avoriaz this time. Very happy with the restaurants up there, and made it much less stressful getting back from the Folie douce at chucking out time Embarassed
Only thing is most are self catering apartments week to week. There are two hotels and we stayed in the Dromonts. Really happy with it (great independent ski shop opposite - quality choices). Super convenient. Cost a bit more and every meal had 5-10 euros added onto Morzine prices I felt but the time saved was well worth it.
latest report
@shep, thank you, super helpful list — going to save your note for the next trip and maybe be confident to graduate to the ski school couloir next time!
snow report
Can anyone help?! We’re planning on a trip to Morzine Friday 03/03 to Tuesday 07/03 to feed some vegetables to our youngest who is doing an instructor course. Flights all booked weekend suits diary best but we can’t seem to find a single available accommodation on on any of the usual websites or booking direct with hotels. Don’t think it’s a standout weekend for any reason but beginning to panic! Any suggestions - hotel chalet self catered doesn’t really matter?
snow conditions
@Doccam,
Your issue is the Fri 03/03 is still the last day of the French and Dutch school holidays and you are straddling that weekend.
Try Apex Morzine.
https://apexmorzine.com/bb.html
snow report
@247snowman ah ok. Thanks for the link will take a look.
ski holidays
shep wrote:
Skimum1 wrote:
Discretion is the better part of valour, esp. with a less-experienced skier in tow Cool .

Accessing the Swiss-side from Avoriaz, by ascending degree of difficulty/fun:

- download The Swiss Wall (Swiss Chavanette) chair (from Choucas chair or Chavanette drag)
- Grande Conche Bleue blue (from Cases chair)
- Col de Portes du Soleil red (from French Mossettes chair)
- Tovassière-Morgins blue (from French Mossettes chair)
- Les Mossettes red (from French Mossettes chair)
- The "ski-school couloir" (from Cuboré chair)
- The Swiss Wall black (now tragically renamed Chavanette Freeride) (from Choucas chair or Chavanette drag)
- "Death couloir" (from Cuboré chair)
- "Couloir poubelle" (from Cuboré chair)
- Col du Fornet couloir (guide only Skullie ) (from Fornet chair)

I skied one of the Couloirs du Cuboré, which was the second one you come to when you go down the ridge on the RHS from the lift is that Ski.school, Death or Poubelle ?
snow report
back to reality, huge thanks to all the helpful info posted on here.....

ski holidays
Hello,

A group of us are heading to Morzine for the first time at the end of February. I have looked a various forecasts and can see that there seems to be no snow in the next week or two.
Is this likely to be a problem for us at the end of the month or is the snow holding up well at present?
latest report
@Doccam, Maybe look for somewhere down in the valley for the Friday night and move up to Morzine on the Saturday?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy