Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil 2022/2023 - Avoriaz/Morzine/Les Gets/Chatel/Swiss Side etc.

Poster: A snowHead
Hi again, slightly off topic but this is the most current PdS thread.
Does anyone have any recommendations for instructors for lessons and/or ski guiding in Les Gets? TIA Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@MrsM, I’m a big fan of TSI (The Snow Institute). If you ping them an email, Sally will be able to help you.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Last run down today, Ranfolly before sunset

snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowfraise wrote:
@kitenski, we parked in the Pleney car park on Sunday at 10am and it was only about a quarter full, same at 5pm on our way out.
The spaces are really narrow so sometimes it looks like there are gaps.

Thanks is that accessed at the lift if I just set Waze to goto the pleney lift??
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Timmycb5 wrote:
@MrsM, I’m a big fan of TSI (The Snow Institute). If you ping them an email, Sally will be able to help you.

Thanks, will give them a try
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
polo wrote:
Last run down today, Ranfolly before sunset

Some of the photos I’ve got here this week have been phenomenal. Truly spectacular weather, though I hope some more snow will land soon for later in the season.

It’s been a great week for us, only marred by one prick who was going at full honk down Violette as me and my son were crossing over to Cyclamen this afternoon. We made sure there was loads of room to cross, but he charged at my lad whilst fake “screaming” and must have passed him doing 40mph with less than 1m to spare. I regret not planting my pole in his face, and may do so tomorrow if I see him again! Skullie
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I just hate Violette in the late afternoon. There always seems to be someone out of control heading towards me and at least one more going too fast using learners as moving slalom poles.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Timc, it’s a grim slope with all the learners at the best times. This knobhead knew what he was doing though. He stuck to the far right of the slope and straight lined it all the way down, adjusting his run ever so slightly to aim as close as possible to my son.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
MrsM wrote:
Does anyone have any recommendations for instructors for lessons and/or ski guiding in Les Gets? TIA Very Happy

I would definitely recommend LGS. We've used them many times
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bit off topic, but does anyone know anywhere in Morzine where I could rent / demo some all-mountain twin top skis? Keen to try some of these before I buy.
E.g., Rossi Black Ops 98, Nordica Enforcer 94, Atomic Bent 90, or similar.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@kitenski, It’s the Taille de Grand Mas - one before the Pleney lift. It takes you into the underground car park and then there are stairs up to the ticket office and bubble.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Pamski wrote:
@Timc, and those were the times I went down Yeti and Myrtilles!

Yup, only black I've ever done! It's an alright red when pisted tbh
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Snow on the ground (pavements, etc) at resort level started to melt yesterday and froze again overnight. Meaning my new favourite run, Mélèze, which goes down to the lowest part of Les Gets, was a bit scrapey and icy toward the bottom. Not horrific, but definitely noticeable compared to yesterday.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Rebelbrowser wrote:
Pamski wrote:
@Timc, and those were the times I went down Yeti and Myrtilles!

Yup, only black I've ever done! It's an alright red when pisted tbh
I think the top section still makes it a black. The rest of it, I agree though.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Timmycb5 wrote:
Snow on the ground (pavements, etc) at resort level started to melt yesterday and froze again overnight. Meaning my new favourite run, Mélèze, which goes down to the lowest part of Les Gets, was a bit scrapey and icy toward the bottom. Not horrific, but definitely noticeable compared to yesterday.

I thought they had some good snow making around these areas for this situation.

Temps in the daytime are set to stay a good bit above freezing for the majority of the rest of the week.
latest report
pateman99 wrote:
@Mjit, From the roundabout ( where the garage was ! ) near Super Morzine bubble, go down one way street towards the Tourist Office. Take first right onto street called' Taille de Grand Mas' , after about 100m turn left to down ramp

Ah, have always have gone up or down the steps in the corner and cut diagonally across the 'square'. You learn something new every day! Smile
latest report
A_Lazy_Professor wrote:
Bit off topic, but does anyone know anywhere in Morzine where I could rent / demo some all-mountain twin top skis? Keen to try some of these before I buy.
E.g., Rossi Black Ops 98, Nordica Enforcer 94, Atomic Bent 90, or similar.

I'd give the big Intersport a go, the one at the Robbo's/Dixy Bar end of town. Has the widest selection of skis in my experience (having shopped around to try out different freeride skis a couple of years back).
ski holidays
Just to post some feedback on my family week in Avoriaz last week for anyone going / thinking of going there.

Generally it's a great spot. With the absence of cars and snow everywhere it's very atmospheric. I personally like the buildings too, but not everyone does. Last week, with the clouds generally at 1400m (so 400m below the town), the views were stunning. Will try to post a pic in a minute, but suffice it to say some of the sunsets were unworldly and probably the most spectacular views I have seen in my entire life.

In terms of skiing, I had a teenager looking for hard runs, two younger kids on their 3rd ski trip in ski school and a nervous, but competent, wife accompanying me. We were with a not dissimilar other family. The town itself is great with greens and two easy blues (one running through the town - being Boulevard du skiers, and one running down to the Proclou chair). As I mentioned elsewhere we did find that apart from those the blues were quite tricky / steep for some of our group. The lack of an easier run into Les Linderets was certainly a pity. I have formed the view that the easiest run into Les Linderets from the top of the Proclou chair is along the leftmost blue (can't remember or find the name) was easiest. It has a scary looming start with a virtual hairpin back on itself bit if you take that wide it's fine and from then it's manageable for everyone bar complete beginners. It even ends with a mind numbing road bit for the last 800m. Alas my wife was too put off by the start to believe me that it was easily managed so didn't go to Les Lindarets - save once on one of the other blues (which she hated).

If you do get to Les Lindarets then taking the Lechere and Cases chairlifts to the Swiss border is a must - the blue and red runs back from there to Les Lindarets are gorgeous and very manageable indeed for virtually everyone.

As we got near the weekend the pistes around the town did get very busy - but that just reinforces that Avoriaz is very central - the heart of the PdS through which any PdS tourers inevitably must pass. It did lead to my wife having a nasty accident though (a beginner cut across her skis) and a week on she's still feeling that.

The ski schools are fine though it's a bit of a pain getting g to them in the morning if you are below them. Will involve getting a drag lift (that needs to open earlier tbh) or skiing down Proclou to the get chair back up. That said, the whole town is essentially ski in ski out so save for absolute beginners you won't be carrying skiis anywhere.

In terms of facilities the town is great with lots of restaurants, bars (though few enough standalone bars), great shops (3 supermarkets), a great pool complex, skating, cinema, a fab sled run in the middle of the town (looks unimpressive but is brilliantly designed - you just keep going once you've any momentum) etc - so it's superb for family and kids.

So all in all, delighted with Avoriaz. LG has always been our base hitherto but Avoriaz certainly has some big advantages over it.
snow report
Timmycb5 wrote:
Mélèze, which goes down to the lowest part of Les Gets, was a bit scrapey and icy toward the bottom.

If you fancy a tour of all the worst snow conditions in the Les Gets / Morzine area, these were the worst last week Laughing Alternatively, these would be the ones to avoid!

- Orchis under the Chavannes Express
- Coutalays & Lanches under the Tetes chair

Late in the day:

- as you mentioned above, Vorosse / Melezes to Les Perrieres
- Violette & Tulipe around Ranfoilly
snow report
@denfinella, Orchis is terrible now. Completely scraped out. We did it on Monday and haven’t bothered since. We normally use that to go down at the end of the day but we’ve been using cyclamen instead which is much more fun.
snow report
@Timmycb5, have you found the very top part of Cyclamen, above where it crosses Violettes? The start wasn't signposted last week, and still had corduroy mid afternoon! It's very short but was an interesting little quirk.
snow report
Went cross country skiing at Col de Joux Plane today at 1700m. Snow and tracks in beautiful ' squeaky ' condition. More walkers than skiers but tracks are kept strictly apart. You can see the top of Ranfolly and Chamossiere in Les Gets but access is via Samoens and the Tour de France climb. They keep the road really well cleared and there is even a shuttle bus from town. Great restaurant at the top and boulangerie in Taninges on the way home. Mrs P puts her rando skis on and walks across to Chamossiere and skis back to Lys car park on Piste B in Morzine and I dutifully pick her up. I normally only have to wait about 5 mins. PS the sun was shining all day aswell !
snow conditions
RCM wrote:
MrsM wrote:

I would definitely recommend LGS. We've used them many times

Thanks, will give them a try too
latest report
@denfinella, yup. Just at the top of Rhodos. We’re doing that on the way in Smile
snow report
Timmycb5 wrote:
@denfinella, Orchis is terrible now. Completely scraped out. We did it on Monday and haven’t bothered since. We normally use that to go down at the end of the day but we’ve been using cyclamen instead which is much more fun.
It has no cannons. The previous weekend we were already avoiding it (except to rush down to the express for one last run), preferring the woods under the telecabin.
latest report
Mont Chery today snowHead
ski holidays
snowfraise wrote:
Mont Chery today snowHead
doing that tomorrow snowHead
snow conditions
Another beautiful blue sky day.

With the Linga lift shut for the racing, we thought we’d try something different. Over the top of Mosettes, col du PdS and then down that v long run into Morgins. Up the lift (Corbeau under it closed again) and across to Morclan, Torgon, Chappelle. Watched the youngsters on the cross country track whilst we had a quick croque monsieur, then bus to Linga (€1) change for Pres La Joux.

A few patchy bits between Morgins and Chatel and the red into Torgon was scratchy as anything! Otherwise plenty of snow still.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Any updates on what the outlook is like for the PDS? I notice that the temp is due to drop next week, which is lucky for those coming out on Saturday. The lower slopes are definitely suffering now. The run under the Mt Chery bubble is brown slush, with some patches of brown mud!!

That said the pistes above that were an absolute delight this morning, and we’re heading straight back there in the morning.
snow report
That bit under the Mont Chery bubble is always the first to go. We downloaded in the bubble yesterday - saves spoiling an otherwise perfect day in Narnia!!
snow conditions
@snowfraise, that’s what we’ll be doing tomorrow!
ski holidays
@@247snowman, we did the circuit you recommended which worked great so thanks a lot! Only went wrong when we went up Linga without reading the sign to say the chairlift was shut due to the racing! Nevertheless it was a decent run down. Snow was mostly good, very brown and bare at the bottom of Champneys (I think).

Wednesday we landed 10am at Geneva and were skiing by 2, boot hire took a bit longer than expected trying to find a comfortable pair for my daughter.

There are some very slick patches around, I’ve had both edges loose grip over those patches. Probably should have sharpened my edges! Although friends who hired some gold piste skis reported the same.

Great food at Bec Jaune, had a number of the veggie plates for starters amongst us and all were very very good. Finished last night off with a live band at the cavern club.
snow report
@kitenski,
Great stuff on the Circuit.
Check out ‘Le Local’ for good food and a warm welcome next time.
snow report
@@247snowman, will do, just going to a very small pizza joint tonight that the others went to and said food was good - Gusto e basta
ski holidays
Anyone know if they usually piste Cuboré Montriond? Was a bit disappointed having to come back down the other piste when trying to reach the Swiss Side round back the Fornet way as it was unpisted and fairly steep moguls. Skiers seemed to be creating a track to skiers’ left to avoid it but it was not easy to see from the top. I’m fairly cautious and we had a less experienced friend with us too so took the safe option back down again. Would be interesting to know for future trips!
latest report
Timmycb5 wrote:
Any updates on what the outlook is like for the PDS? I notice that the temp is due to drop next week, which is lucky for those coming out on Saturday. The lower slopes are definitely suffering now. The run under the Mt Chery bubble is brown slush, with some patches of brown mud!!

That said the pistes above that were an absolute delight this morning, and we’re heading straight back there in the morning.

It probably depends which lower slopes you use and at what time of day.
Meleze run in Les Gets down to one of the lowest areas in the PDS (bottom of Perrieres chair with the free car park) is one of my favourite runs - but only between 09:00-11:00 each morning. After that it's usually cut up/icy/worn etc. (unless there's been a big dump recently).
Temps for the next 2-3 days aren't going to help the lower slopes especially with more kids/families now on holidays, probably meaning lower slopes are used frequently throughout the day as people to/fro in and out.
Monday onwards looking a tad colder with temps possibly struggling to get much above freezing even in resort level. Lower slopes may therefore improve a tad from this day.
A small top up around Sunday eve. still looks possible albeit I don't think it will amount to much
snow report
@Skimum1,

No, they generally leave it moguled.
ski holidays
Skimum1 wrote:
Anyone know if they usually piste Cuboré Montriond? Was a bit disappointed having to come back down the other piste when trying to reach the Swiss Side round back the Fornet way as it was unpisted and fairly steep moguls. Skiers seemed to be creating a track to skiers’ left to avoid it but it was not easy to see from the top. I’m fairly cautious and we had a less experienced friend with us too so took the safe option back down again. Would be interesting to know for future trips!

Andy posted a picture on this thread earlier this season showing they had built a cattrack to cutout the mogulled slope very much resembling the easy alternative to the steep part of Linga. The cattrack had disappeared 2 weeks ago - perhaps it was temporary for yeh new year overcrowding.
snow report
@zzz, @Ozboy, Thanks. Will have a look for that earlier in the thread. Definitely looked like it may be back again last Sunday from what I could see across from the Mossettes chair.
snow report
Quick question, super morzine has some fairly large queues, perhaps 20-25mins on Thursday. Friends got there about 9:18 and the queues were forming by 930 they were getting bigger without any ski schools there. Is tomorrow likely to be quieter being a changeover day? It’s our last day and flying out in the evening. Think we will ski over to linga and back so trying to decide between super morzine and prodains. Obv shorter bus to super from where we are in morzine
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy