Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil 2022/2023 - Avoriaz/Morzine/Les Gets/Chatel/Swiss Side etc.

Poster: A snowHead
@pateman99, Let me guess the plot - body of woman found straddling the French / Swiss border at the top of Chavanette.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Ozboy, Spoiler alert. Dead male in burnt out caravan. Local girl returns as head of police investigation. Drug dealing. Local hero ski champion involved in dodgy new posh building project.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes, it's available to stream on https://www.france.tv/france-2/piste-noire/toutes-les-videos/ but not from the UK (or CH) without a VPN.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pateman99 wrote:
@Ozboy, Spoiler alert. Dead male in burnt out caravan. Local girl returns as head of police investigation. Drug dealing. Local hero ski champion involved in dodgy new posh building project.

Thanks for the precis, think I'll pass.

(For a while there I thought it might actually be ski related).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The local hero ski champion was on punter equipment, the producers could have gone down to Cluses to stock up on something more authentic.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Women’s Europa Cup SG and DH will be on Linga until Friday. Hearing reports to best avoid, if you want to ski Linga, due to piste disruption and rock hard conditions. Could be good to watch to see future World Cup stars.

Great for Châtel after having hosted French Championships during covid years and will be hosting the speed events for next years junior world championships.

Am I right to think Linga is the most suited piste for SG and DH racing in PDS due to around 800m vertical?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Ozboy, You can look up race homologations here, Les Gets can also host a Super-G but not a Downhill on Rouge Tulipe, Linga is the only piste in the PDS that can host a DH.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@rjs, Thanks for sharing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just back from a great guided off piste week in the PdS and word on the grapevine from our guides was that the Gabelou chair that was left with one pilon hanging from the cable rather than the other way around back at Christmas should re-open on Feb 4th.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ozboy wrote:

Am I right to think Linga is the most suited piste for SG and DH racing in PDS due to around 800m vertical?

It's also about ease of access, I suspect, for racers and helpers alike. It's also got quite a few steepish, wide and separate sections, including the Stade at the very bottom, meaning a course can be sectioned off without completely blocking access for everyone else. Yes, it's difficult to think of anywhere better.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ozboy wrote:

I thought Coupe du Monde in Avoriaz had been used as a downhill course and surely has more vertical than Linga?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@DJL, Coupe du Monde is 1000m vertical (from top of Grandes Combes to Les Prodains). Linga is only 900m vertical (from top of Echo Alpin to gondola base), but straighter and more uniform gradient so might be more suitable?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mjit wrote:
Just back from a great guided off piste week in the PdS and word on the grapevine from our guides was that the Gabelou chair that was left with one pilon hanging from the cable rather than the other way around back at Christmas should re-open on Feb 4th.

Yes, someone posted about this a week or more ago.

Edit: Seems it was @Ozboy https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=5076585&highlight=gabelou#5076585

Edit2: The mayor posted this on facebook last week and reckoned it could be Feb 3rd

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 30-01-23 18:27; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The homologated Linga DH course is 695m of vertical as per link sent by (@rjs above. I’ve learne today min vertical for World Cup and Olympics is 800m for men and 450m for ladies.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Btw, for anyone in Les Gets right now who hasn’t “ticked off” the Yeti before, they pisted it last night and it is absolutely glorious.
snow report
Mjit wrote:

Hey, are you happy to share what your off piste highlights were? Keen to find some when we over in a couple of weeks.
snow report
Coming over from Switz to meet some Chatelites where is a good spot for lunch? Les Lindarets looks quite central? Or somewhere else better? Thanks
ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:
Coming over from Switz to meet some Chatelites where is a good spot for lunch? Les Lindarets looks quite central? Or somewhere else better? Thanks

Chez Crepy at Plaine Dranse is very good but recommend you book.

https://crepy.net/
snow report
@BobinCH,

Restaurant Les Ancelles at Brochaux (Or Refuge Brochaux) both next door to each other.

Or the goat village which is just past and just below Les Linderets (heading towards Ardent).

The Cremailere or La Terrace again both next door to each other.

Lastly... The Passage near the end of Tetras Piste (on the right just before Super Morzine Gondola). views of Mt Blanc on a clear day and nice owners.
snow report
Timmycb5 wrote:
Btw, for anyone in Les Gets right now who hasn’t “ticked off” the Yeti before, they pisted it last night and it is absolutely glorious.

Ahhh I managed to catch it pisted once, and loved it (not many blacks under my belt) - wouldn’t normally go anywhere near it.
ski holidays
DJL wrote:
Ozboy wrote:

I thought Coupe du Monde in Avoriaz had been used as a downhill course and surely has more vertical than Linga?

It has. I’ve watch World Cup downhills on there a couple of times way back when the Bells were racing.
snow report
As said above, the Linga has the girls racing down it this week - we watched some of the practice runs and it is awesome!!
The top half was fully open yesterday and gorgeous, then you’re channelled down the side offshoot and half the piste for the rest. We had a coffee at the little restaurant on the left half way down and they’re quite disappointed that they’ll lose trade this week.
We took the bus across to Super Chatel, something we haven’t done since the Gabelou/PdS lifts opened and we remember why - what a walk from the bus stop up to the Super Chatel bubble!! Laughing
Anyway, then we took the new Conche which is terrific and gets you right in the heart of the resort, which was beautiful yesterday. Squeaky snow underfoot. A couple of bare patches, but not bad and the Corbeau was open down to Morgins - again, haven’t coincided with that for a decade.
The cafeteria restaurant at the top of the other Morgins lift is no more and has table service. Quite good, but a bit slower if you’re on the clock doing the loop.
A couple of the runs across to Champoussin were v narrow and channelled, which I personally detest. There’s a bit of grass coming through on the sides so maybe that’s why it’s channeling out as everyone’s on the piste here.
We hardly had to wait for a lift all day, only the bus at the bottom of the Linga, but that was only ten mins.
snow conditions
Does anyone know if you can access the Nyon viewing platform (at the top of the La Pointe lift) and then get the chairlift back down? We have a mixed ability group and some will be unable to do the red run down.

Thanks
latest report
Rois1980 wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:

Ahhh I managed to catch it pisted once, and loved it (not many blacks under my belt) - wouldn’t normally go anywhere near it.

In previous years they seem to have pisted both Yeti and Myrtilles about once every 2 weeks once the grass starts showing through under the moguls
latest report
@Timc, and those were the times I went down Yeti and Myrtilles!
ski holidays
@247snowman wrote:
@BobinCH,

Restaurant Les Ancelles at Brochaux (Or Refuge Brochaux) both next door to each other.

Or the goat village which is just past and just below Les Linderets (heading towards Ardent).

The Cremailere or La Terrace again both next door to each other.

Lastly... The Passage near the end of Tetras Piste (on the right just before Super Morzine Gondola). views of Mt Blanc on a clear day and nice owners.

Thanks. Booked the Passage
snow conditions
scottishandy wrote:
Mjit wrote:

Hey, are you happy to share what your off piste highlights were? Keen to find some when we over in a couple of weeks.

As mine was a guided week I'd be reluctant to share, simply because we went a lot of places where a wrong turn would mean a long walk out - and when the 'correct' route involved side-slipping down >45° slopes that were more tree root than snow easy to assume that wasn't the correct one!

In general we did the Fornet valley run down to the Nyon bus a couple of times (both in white-out cloud!), then a few runs beyond the end of the cat track past the radio masts at the top of Chaux Fleurie/Rochassons on the Chatel side, then loads of "How the hell did we end up here!" runs on the Swiss side, one of them starting on the Swiss Wall/cutting left to the off pist to the Ripaille button/jumping off and on piste down to the Grand Paradis chair.

If you do want a guide I can recommend both Alan (just keep an eye on him as he doesn't say anything when he sets off) and Guillaume (who all the EFS instructors say "Guillaume? He is crazy!") Smile
latest report
MattJUK wrote:
Does anyone know if you can access the Nyon viewing platform (at the top of the La Pointe lift) and then get the chairlift back down? We have a mixed ability group and some will be unable to do the red run down.

Not a firm answer but while they were taking foot passengers up via the Nyon gondola/La Pointe chair last year the general feeling was that wasn't happening this year.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quick question on parking as Google/websites don't appear to have a ton of info! Am I right in thinking there is underground parking at the Pleney gondola AND the tourist information? The ski hire place I've booked is 200m away from the tourist info so thinking that'd be a great place to park! I'm hoping/assuming it won't be full tomorrow around noon/1pm??
ski holidays
In Les Gets this Saturday until next Wednesday very excited..

Small uptick in temps for this weekend 5-7'C perhaps for resort level, shouldn't cause too many issues should it? Snow cover should retain for the most part am I right in saying?
snow report
@kitenski,

Yep, Underground at both.

Entrance for Plenny is near/Opposite the Rotande restaurant.

Also parking at Palais du Sport (Ice Rink) and an elevator gets you up to street level where Super Morzine Gondola is. Then short walk from there to tourist office.
ski holidays
@StretfordEnd1996,

Will you cancel if I say it’s going to be terrible?

No, thought not. Don’t worry about it. The snow is still good and won’t change much over the coming week. South facing slopes are a little firm but plenty of cover. North and east facing slopes have good wintry and grippy snow. It’s going to be sunny. You’ll have a great time.
snow report
@kitenski, you are right about the locations. Think there are two near Pleny one access near ESF office and other higher up. Tourist office one is under the main square right next to the tourist office. i have just caught the bus back ( about midday ) and remember seeing a sign saying there was 7 places and 21 places free but can't remember which way round ! This week during the week you would be unlucky if it was full.
snow conditions
I've been going to/staying in Morzine for 10 years and never knew there was a car park under the ice rink. Where the hell's the entrance?!?

* And please don't give directions based on the petrol station. Really messed with my head turning up on a 10pm transfer and losing my bearings because it was gone Smile
snow report
Mjit wrote:
MattJUK wrote:

Not a firm answer but while they were taking foot passengers up via the Nyon gondola/La Pointe chair last year the general feeling was that wasn't happening this year.

It was definitely allowed in early January (when the pistes down were closed due to lack of snow), but can't confirm whether that's still the case. I'm sure you could check with the lift attendant at the bottom.
snow conditions
@kitenski, we parked in the Pleney car park on Sunday at 10am and it was only about a quarter full, same at 5pm on our way out.
The spaces are really narrow so sometimes it looks like there are gaps.
ski holidays
@Mjit, From the roundabout ( where the garage was ! ) near Super Morzine bubble, go down one way street towards the Tourist Office. Take first right onto street called' Taille de Grand Mas' , after about 100m turn left to down ramp
snow report
Pistes are still fine, as is the view

Right now

ski holidays
@polo, Thats stunning
latest report
Timc wrote:
Rois1980 wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:

In previous years they seem to have pisted both Yeti and Myrtilles about once every 2 weeks once the grass starts showing through under the moguls
My knees will thank the day I can catch these. We once arrived at a pisted Creux - we went over and over.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy