Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Self drive with kids newbie

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Am planning a trip to les Arcs in December and am planning to drive to the alps for the first time. Bringing children aged 6 & 9 and they have not skied before. I thought I might drive mid week to avoid queues etc but was wondering how this would effect children’s lessons in ski school? Can they join ski school midweek or do you have to stick to a fixed week? Might be a stupid question but have not done this before with kids. Presumably ski passes just run for six days from when you purchase? Planning to use esf. Any other tips for driving/taking kids for the first time would be much appreciated. Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to SHs, @austenw, snowHead Not silly question - for groups, you need to be there for the beginning, especially for complete beginners - kids make huge progress in the first few days, and they'd not be able to join part way through. For private lessons, the timing wouldn't matter, but that's a lot more expensive and shorter hours will leave you less time to ski yourselves. A 6 and 9 year old could probably share private lessons, if the 6 year old is pretty robust. If it's early December you might be able to get mid-week accommodation (though many resorts will not open till Christmas week, and snow could be in short supply). Near Christmas that will be more difficult.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Saturdays before Christmas are not very busy on the roads in France. Driving down on 10th Dec should be no worse than any other day of the week. 17th will be a bit busier, although the 24th Dec will be manic.

Lift passes can be bought any day of the week for any duration. Some resorts offer 7 days for the price of 6. However, complete beginners may not need a pass at all for the first few days - there are usually a few bunny runs/lifts that are free which the ski school use for the first few days. I would take the advice of the ski-school as to when to buy passes.

We typically drive down on 10th, leave London about 4am, Chunnel about 6am, on the Autoroute by 7:30am French time, and with two stops (one for lunch, one for supermarket) we're in Tignes for 6pm. It's a long day doing it non stop - ant that's assuming the weather plays ball. If your kids can't manage that, then try a Friday afternoon chunnel, and get down to somewhere between Reims and Dijon for a night stop.

Someone else will be along shortly to start the snow/winter tyres, snow socks, chains debate Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I wouldn't worry about the day of the week, just avoid the first/last day of French school holidays on the roads.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lots of questions there...

Forget midweek: most accommodation is Sat-Sat and lessons Sun-Fri. One big problem is getting to hire shop in time on Sat evening -- you will struggle to hire skis in time on the morning of first lesson.

To drive to the Les Arcs area for Xmas week, I would suggest an overnight stop in Reims and try to be driving around 7am. Expect to get there around 5 and have a couple of hours or more to sort skis.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
There is often an option for afternoon ski lessons, instead of morning. It's worth thinking about. Apart from the very valid point about getting hired skis and boots, getting small kids out of the door in time for morning lessons can be challenging. Always the lost mittens, the moaning about everything, the nervous last minute need to wee (and sometimes the kids have the same problem...) And after a long couple of days travelling, can be a bit much.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Judwin wrote:
Saturdays before Christmas are not very busy on the roads in France. Driving down on 10th Dec should be no worse than any other day of the week. 17th will be a bit busier, although the 24th Dec will be manic.

Lift passes can be bought any day of the week for any duration. Some resorts offer 7 days for the price of 6. However, complete beginners may not need a pass at all for the first few days - there are usually a few bunny runs/lifts that are free which the ski school use for the first few days. I would take the advice of the ski-school as to when to buy passes.

We typically drive down on 10th, leave London about 4am, Chunnel about 6am, on the Autoroute by 7:30am French time, and with two stops (one for lunch, one for supermarket) we're in Tignes for 6pm. It's a long day doing it non stop - ant that's assuming the weather plays ball. If your kids can't manage that, then try a Friday afternoon chunnel, and get down to somewhere between Reims and Dijon for a night stop.

Someone else will be along shortly to start the snow/winter tyres, snow socks, chains debate Laughing

Hey. do you find that you miss the massive queues with this timing? I am thinking of something similar this year, as last year we were totally jammed up for a few hours on the way in!!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hmm. Thread went dead, OP never responded..... but the time to avoid, driving IN to a ski resort on a busy changeover day is roughly 1pm - 7 pm. And driving out, avoid 6 am to 1 pm. Roughly. If you are well enough organised to "ski from the car" spending the changeover days, which are usually quiet on the slopes, skiing is a good idea. In France, Sundays are fairly manic, with all the new holiday arrivals desperate to get out, alongside local weekend visitors. It's a VERY good day for restaurants at lunchtime.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd be tempted to book the children a 'learn to ski' package in a UK snowzone. 5 to 6 hours of lessons will mean they've got the hang of equipment and how a ski boot should fit before going on holiday. They'll also be used to putting on clothing/gloves/boots meaning that the first few days are a lot easier. I did this before my first family trip and was money well spent.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Personally I would reccommend driving overnight with children. They sleep the whole way and you avoid the heavy traffic getting into the resort later on Saturday. Similarly leave late on the Saturday after skiing. Using the tunnel avoids waking them to get onto the ferry. I must admit that the prospect of falling asleep just after leaving home then waking up near Albertville appeals to me as well. Smile

It must be the location of Les Arcs but I've never noticed changeover days any more or less busy than the rest of the week.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
HilbertSpace wrote:
Lots of questions there...

Forget midweek: most accommodation is Sat-Sat and lessons Sun-Fri. One big problem is getting to hire shop in time on Sat evening -- you will struggle to hire skis in time on the morning of first lesson.

To drive to the Les Arcs area for Xmas week, I would suggest an overnight stop in Reims and try to be driving around 7am. Expect to get there around 5 and have a couple of hours or more to sort skis.

This is good advice and similar to what we did at Easter last year. We had 3 kids in the car 11,10 and 8 and it was fine. My hotspot got a work out!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy