Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Aussies going ON A French adventure.

Poster: A snowHead
@mooney058,
I just had a quick look. I can't see pricing but I'm thinking it may be a good place for the adults one night while the kids have takeaway pizza. Laughing I'm not made of money. The lads are 16. They can almost eat there weight.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would add in a trip to Zermatt, such an amazing place, skiing beneath the Matterhorn all day. Nothing in France quite matches it.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sbooker wrote:
@mooney058,
I just had a quick look. I can't see pricing but I'm thinking it may be a good place for the adults one night while the kids have takeaway pizza. Laughing I'm not made of money. The lads are 16. They can almost eat there weight.

Average prices and do get a racklet and challenge your teens to finish it Smile these kind of things are best at a farm resto anyway and would be a fun experience for the teens too!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
mooney058 wrote:
sbooker wrote:
@mooney058,

Average prices and do get a racklet and challenge your teens to finish it Smile these kind of things are best at a farm resto anyway and would be a fun experience for the teens too!

I’ll be sure to check it out.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
nevis1003 wrote:
I would add in a trip to Zermatt, such an amazing place, skiing beneath the Matterhorn all day. Nothing in France quite matches it.

It’s on my radar but not this trip. Will be best for a time without the kids.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@mooney058,
Quote:

Hmmm, dangerous that StFoy - you may not want to return to Les Arcs or Tignes

Do you know if it's feasible, when staying in Les Arcs, to ski down to Villaroger, then get a taxi (or other shared transport maybe?) across to St Foy Station, instead of going by road?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@PeakyB,
Interesting. But I’ll be on Ski A La Carte so would activate a days skiing and then have to pay for the St Foy lift ticket on top.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 27-10-22 21:01; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PeakyB wrote:
@mooney058,
Quote:

Do you know if it's feasible, when staying in Les Arcs, to ski down to Villaroger, then get a taxi (or other shared transport maybe?) across to St Foy Station, instead of going by road?

Never skied Les Arcs (Tignes/Val and StF addict) so not sure.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@PeakyB, @sbooker, yes it is perfectly possible. It is probably marginally easier (and probably a whole lot quicker) to ski to 1600, get the funi down and the connecting bus from the station. Less "fun story" though!

Hint and tip: If you do a shop in Bourg Super-U (any day), and aim to ski at St Foy on a Wednesday, the back of your till receipt will have an advert for a discounted St Foy ticket. Show at the lift pass office.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Arctic Roll,
Super U it is. One discount per docket?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sbooker wrote:
@Arctic Roll,

Just make a few separate transactions to ensure you have a receipt each wink .
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PeakyB wrote:
@mooney058,
Quote:

Yes, but what time would you get into St Foy?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If a taxi could be pre booked, can’t see it would take long from Villaroger to St Foy lift base.

I’m struggling to understand how going down to Bourg then up to St Foy by funicular then Road could be quicker.

Is it worth it? I’d class it as one of those little adventures you only ever do once, look back on fondly, but are glad a psychiatrist wasn’t looking.

In my case, La Fornet to Val D Front de Neige on skis, without catching any lift, in the dark, because there was a queue for the bus.
Skiing down the main road from Livigno lift base, as a beginner, on the same side the main flow of traffic was heading and missing us by half a metre.

A taxi from Villaroger and day pass for St Foy can’t be that mad?
snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@PeakyB,
Funicular & taxi/bus would get you to St Foy with time to sort lift pass & stoll get first lifts. How much time would be lost by going via Villaroger?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Kenzie, yes, I take your point. If the aim was to get first lifts at St Foy, that would be the way to do it.
If more relaxed about start time at St Foy, then I wouldn’t consider skiing down to Villaroger ‘lost’ time, in any sense.

Then it’s about 9kms and 15 mins by taxi to St Foy Station. So I you’d get less time at St Foy than the funicular/road route. You’d get more time overall actually skiing by the Villaroger option.

You pays your money, you takes your choice. Smile
snow report
@PeakyB,
But if not on a Les Arcs season pass the ski to Villaroger would need a day ticket for Les Arcs plus a day ticket to St Foy. Surely a factor for tight back bottoms like me? (Considering I’m doing everything multiplied by six this trip).
snow conditions
@sbooker, Ahhh, yes. Apols, I'd forgotten your plan is to do the Ski a la Carte daily ticket thing. I was mistakenly thinking you'd be on a Paradiski pass for x days, therefore already covered to ski over to Villaroger, any time in that period.

I imagine, given the quality of your planning on all other aspects of your trip, you've researched and 'modelled' overall ski pass prices, given there's 6 of you, for the most likely scenarios of where you're likely to ski, for how many days, +/- n days around a best guess?

I'm guessing you're likely to spend the majority of days skiing in the Paradiski area, avoiding too many 1 hour drives up to Tignes, before you've got your ski boots on. If so, I was pleasantly surprised at how flexible and customer friendly the lift pass offers for Paradiski are next season. Unlike 'big bro' up the road in 'Espace Killy', which seems to be sticking to the tried and trusted inflexible model of consecutive days lift passes, whether you intend, or are able, to use them every day.

I digress...yes, if you had to buy a day pass for Les Arcs, just to ski to Villaroger, then taxi to St Foy, that would be silly.

@Kenzie, do you have a realistic estimate of how long it would take to get from Arcs 1800, to funicular at 1600, down to Bourg St M, then (I guess) by taxi to St Foy Station?
latest report
@PeakyB,
I haven’t really done detailed research on what lift ticket deals will be most cost effective but I’m pretty sure the A La Carte thing will be given it can be used at both Tignes and Paradiski. The 9th and fourteenth days are free and each day ticket is discounted too.
Of course that card won’t work at La Rosiere or St Foy or Chamonix so day tickets will have to suffice at those locations.
I’m even thinking of getting the same early train as the girls when they go to Lyon. I’ll get off at Moutier and have breakfast somewhere. Then catch a quick taxi up to Brides Le Bains for a day at Three Valleys. Some would suggest that sounds like masochism of sorts but as we lead very busy regular lives a busy holiday is cool too.
I’m sure we’ll have some relaxed days when we’re staying on snow. A couple of hours on skis in the morning, a long lunch and snooze in the middle of the day and another short ski in the afternoon.
snow report
@sbooker, really enjoying reading about your prospective adventures. The actual trip report is going to be fantastic, I can't wait!
snow conditions
Bergmeister wrote:
sbooker wrote:
@Arctic Roll,

Just make a few separate transactions to ensure you have a receipt each wink .

IF (and it's a big IF!) I recall correctly, the printing on the back of the receipt is for adverts and the discount bit, and then advert and the discount, then ... well you get the drift. Buy enough and get a long enough print out, and you'll have multiple discount offers on a single piece of paper!
But as bergmeister says, probably better / easier to do a number of smaller transactions - especially if you need 6!
snow report
@Hurtle,
You can’t wait.
My wife has written a 67 on the white board on our fridge. Tomorrow it will have a 66 written on it!
Really looking forward to seeing white on the webcams.

I enjoy reading trip reports too. I like that Layne has all his family reports at the top of the each new one.

Our actual report won’t be that interesting I wouldn’t think. It will be a repetitive process of sleep, ski, early evening celebratory drinks, dinner and repeat. Perhaps the odd difference to that process.
snow conditions
@PeakyB,
Sorry, no estimate, but try asking on the Led Arcs 2022-2023 thread in the Snowreports forum. I wouldn't be surprised if someone has done both via Villaroger & via BSM.
snow conditions
Quote:

If a taxi could be pre booked, can’t see it would take long from Villaroger to St Foy lift base.

I’m struggling to understand how going down to Bourg then up to St Foy by funicular then Road could be quicker.

OK, I'm in 1600 and @sbooker, will be in 1800. To get to Villaroger woud require Combettes lift, Cachette lift, Arpette lift and Lanchette lift plus a fair bit of skiing. I cannot see getting to Villaroger taking less than an hour. Then the albeit shortish taxi to St Foy. Funicular to Bourg is 7 minutes, taxi or bus then to St Foy perhaps 20 minutes. Since the taxi from Villaroger woud,I imagine, will have to come from Bourg or Seez I suspect the cost will be about the same. The bus from 1800 and the funicular from 1600 will allow you to be at St Foy by 9:00. And of course you don't need a full day's lift pass for Les Arcs.
snow report
@johnE, thanks, so how much travel time is that in total, from 1800 to St Foy Station, via Bourg? What time bus would you have to catch at 1800 to get to St Foy by 9am?
snow report
@PeakyB,
When we were in 1800 in March we went to Bourg a couple of times. It’s about 9 minutes on the bus to 1600 and seven minutes on the funicular to Bourg. The shuttles and funicular are coordinated. From Bourg it’s about 10 minutes in a taxi to St Foy.
We’re early risers so getting to St Foy for first lift will be a breeze. The shuttles start at 7am but we’ll get one at about 8am and still get there by 9am easily.
snow report
In a round about kinda way, that brings me to my point about St Foy, at the risk of offending it’s devotees.

I’ve been sliding around Espace Killy and Paradiski for 35 years. I first skied at St Foy 25 years ago, staying close by for 10 days. I’ve stayed in various places at lower altitudes and driven to/from Tignes, Val D, La Ros, Les Arcs, La Plagne, Brides les Bains, etc.

I like St Foy and think people who visit the area, without ever skiing St Foy, are missing out. Depends what kind of skiing you want though, in your case, considered from the perspective of a group of 6 with different preferences and needs.

I see St Foy as a great bolt hole for decent and confident intermediate piste skiers, on days when the weather is closed in higher up, eg Tignes, Les Arcs. It’s also good for off pisters (professional guide needed?) especially if that closed-in day higher up includes fresh snow. It’s a relatively attractive location, though not Austrian or Swiss choc box pretty IMO. It’s got trees, giving shelter and helping you see where the hell you’re going. It’s funnel shaped, so difficult for those inexperienced on mountains to get seriously lost.

It claims 41kms of skiable terrain. Over 70% is graded red or black. Only a quarter of its terrain, about 10kms, they say suitable for beginners and intermediates. It’s served by 4 chairlifts and 2 drags. Compared with the 2 places you’re staying, it’s not got much to offer for beginners or intermediates (especially less experienced ones).

On a cold, dark, low vis January day, IMO, if you’re still determined to ski, it’s worth the hassle of travelling there and spending extra on a day ticket. A weekday adult pass about €33, special offer on Saturdays for €24.

Now, back to travelling there. I reckon from Arcs 1800 apartment door to St Foy lift base, 45 mins, if all goes smoothly. Wouldn’t be surprised if it took an hour in reality. A bit of a faff, walk to bus stop, in ski boots?, carrying skis. Walk again from funicular base to taxi. Get your skis on the taxi roof probably. Join the main flow of traffic heading uphill.

Alternatively, from Tignes 2100 (Le Lac) apt door to St Foy lift base, all by taxi, including very short walk and skis on roof, 25 - 30 minutes. Downhill, opposite to the main flow of traffic, except weekend changeover days would be busy.

Hope that helps.
snow report
@PeakyB, not offended in the slightest Smile before my first trip to STF I read a lot about it and was worried I would be bored soon. It did not happen. This also has to do with staying there and enjoying the relaxed atmosphere and small bits you discover while being there and taking it all slow. For pure skiing, it does not have quantity, but it does offer quality. Some of the best slopes anywhere in the FR Alps. I would not just go for a day as you kind of miss the point of STF.
ski holidays
@PeakyB,
Good tip. Thanks.
All of the properly ‘off piste’ I have done has been in Canada and USA - and all within resort boundaries so all avalanche controlled. In our previous (only two) trips to Europe I’ve dabbled in the fresh snow between pistes. Same with Japan.
I love skiing powder of course so will be in an off piste group course type thing with Snoworks or TDC when we’re in Tignes. If conditions warrant it I will get a guide for a few mornings when we’re in Les Arcs. At Cham they have a great service with the guiding company. It’s only 100 Euro per day to join a guided group for off piste. I’ll do that every day if conditions are half decent.
I think I’m comfortable skiing low angle fresh snow without a guide. We’ll see how it goes I guess.
You’ve had much experience in the Tarentaise. Don’t suppose you’ll be there in January? You could show a gaper Aussie skier around for a day. I’ll return the favour with beer. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@PeakyB, Though I have never skied St. Foy, despite many days elsewhere in the Tarrentaise I really liked your review of the place. So much so I think I might call over sometime next season. Rather than getting a taxi I thought I might drive from 1600. What is the parking situatinlike in the station?

@sbooker, 16 minutes from 1800 to Bourg st Maurice looks very good but I'm afraid there is much more waiting around than that. I always seem to miss the bus for example at the bus station in 1800 and never remember the funiclar times. Having said that I'd be leaving about 8:00 to start skiing in St. Foy for 9:00. Now I need to research the bus timetabe from Bourg st Maurice to St. Foy and save on the taxi fare Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
@johnE,
The first bus is too early to comfortably get from the funicular to the bus station in ski boots. Only about 5 minutes from memory.
Taxi will be fine if there is six of us.
ski holidays
@mooney058, yes, I think St Foy is a very agreeable base. I expect there are good value accommodation options, though my impression is it's deliberately gone upmarket, thus more expensive, in the last decade or so. I think I'd still get the urge to have days out though, rather than ski a whole week there.

Especially with a car, it's easy, most of the time, to access Les Arcs or Tignes for day trips. Also La Rosiere/La Thuile, for a mostly gentler day out across to Italy.
Personally, as a skier who likes to get plenty kms and different areas experienced, I'd stay there in March (2nd week of that month onwards), but not other months, when driving around is usually more difficult. Even in March I'd want either a 4 wheel drive or front wheel drive manual gearbox with snow tyres fitted.

Good place, underrated.
ski holidays
@johnE, thanks, I think it's certainly a piece in the Tarentaise jigsaw too often overlooked. The data is from the tourism website and piste gradings, IMO, a bit overrated. Most reds not too challenging, in 'average' conditions, and half of them would be a blue in Espace Killy.

There's free outdoor parking, close to ski station, lift pass office, etc. How soon it gets rammed these days I don't know....but guess someone on here will.
https://www.saintefoy-tarentaise.com/en/commerce-and-service/parking-p5-2/
latest report
@sbooker, I think with your group of 6, that would be a good choice to get there.

If it was me, on my own, in OK snow conditions, from 1800, 1950 or 1600, I'd ski to Villaroger and sacrifice some of my time that day at St Foy. Just because I like more time on skis (less on lifts and in vehicles) and the run to Villaroger is a blast!
snow report
@sbooker, thanks Smile
Knowledge a little out of date; there are residents of the area on here who could be a great source of knowledge and advice.

I’m unlikely to be there in Jan, though most seasons I’d have a week there.
I’ve got carer responsibilities for a while this winter. Scheduled to hit the slopes for the Dolomites Bashes late Jan to mid Feb.
latest report
Talk of getting a taxi across the valley from Arc to StF has reminded me of taking a drive up to Villaroger. Pre covid year and probably returning from a "big shop" in Bourg and heading back up to Tignes. I've a vague recollection of the road being a bit sketchy. Steep and exposed in places, and some of it stays in the shade. (and yes, I'm on winter tyres).

Pure curiosity, probably prompted by chat about having an away day in 'Arc. The other thing that I do remember was that the snow finished well above the lift station in Villaroger. (The one near the ticket office and car park). No idea if it's possible to download to that station, but it would have been a muddy walk to the bottom of the piste if not.
snow conditions
@GeorgeVII, from memory, the base of the chairlift serving Villaroger is at Le Pre.

Then it’s about another mile down to the village itself. There are a few buildings with accommodation at Le Pre. So it should be fine to get taxis to pick up from there.
snow conditions
@PeakyB, Just had a quick glance at a map and I think you're right. The Replat lift looks like the only one with a car park close to the base.
ski holidays
@GeorgeVII, Of, Course you could always ski from Tignes to Champagny and get to Les Arcs via the Vanoise express. If you are quick I suspect you could then make it down to Villaroger and a taxi back to Tignes.

Having cycled down it a few times in the summer I can confirm that the road from Le Pre is indeed quite steep and is a fair distance, dropping about 400m. Though the snow line is often well above Le Pre they do make a lot of effort to shovel as much snow as necessary to keep a route open. In fact it is mainly a long winding road down from Plan Violets with some cutoffs of red and almost black variety - hence the cycling down in the summer. Thinking about the bottom lift it looks as if it would be quite capable of downloading but I think some uphill poling would be required. Though I've skied down to Le Pre in mid April, slaloming around the bare patches, most people only go down to the penultimate lift on the descent.

There is a popular restaurant in Le Pre, La Ferme, as advertised on the television programme Top Gear.
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
@GeorgeVII, Of, Course you could always ski from Tignes to Champagny and get to Les Arcs via the Vanoise express. If you are quick I suspect you could then make it down to Villaroger and a taxi back to Tignes.

Tarentaise Tour, with Evo2. wink
snow conditions
@johnE, https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=10491. Maybe this? Not my thing. Friends who have done this have failed to sell it to me. Running out of water. Scrambling over avalanche debris. Poling, walking and finishing in the dark to mention just a few comments.

My thoughts at the time were to pootle down to Villaroger in the van. Spend the day exploring the area and drive back late afternoon.

edit... just noticed that the post linked is from 2005! Time flies when you're having fun.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy