Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and Tignes-Val D'Isere (formerly Espace Killy) 2022/3. Useful links on Page 1

Poster: A snowHead
@Grinning, innit. Will sniff around, this is important news for many people.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Grinning, I think what it's saying, in a typically convoluted French way, is the day/week passes are cheaper for the first two weeks then go up for the rest of the season. For whatever reason they only mention the "Winter season" pass in the 2nd price list. Taking that and the second link info together I'm thinking (hoping) that the price for the season pass, from November 26th, is €990.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We won’t know which is correct until Tignes signs off on the price changes agreed by Val and then they go public. Watching is all you can do, digging will just identify more inconsistencies and hypotheticals
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Grinning wrote:
chocksaway wrote:
https://www.skipass-tignes.com/fr/tarifs-hiver-2023
Season passes have not gone up.

Disappointing but unsurprising: https://www.valdisere.com/en/ski/ski-passes/ - awaiting confirmation and not yet on sale…

The cost of the season pass appears to have dropped but it isn’t a “season pass” anymore - the “Winter pass” (for the rest of the season) is not available until 17 Dec.
From opening on 26 Nov to 16 Dec there are now only available “Start of season” prices with multiple day passes @52e per day.
The 15 day non-consecutive day pass is not available nor is the “Winter pass” at the “start of season”.

We’re out from early Dec meaning 10 days @52e followed by a “season” pass @990e = 1510e total so, unsurprisingly, the cost of skiing from the “start of season” to the “end of season” has gone up.

If I recall this form of online season pass info has been used in previous seasons - the lift pass price was for the full season - end of Nov to first week in May.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Kenzie, yep, that's the way I'm leaning. Upping the season pass price by effectively 50% would be a ballsy move even for Val.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Kenzie, they’ve always offered a full season pass and latterly the season pass covered the glacier through the summer also. STGM offered a Promo season pass if you bought before an Oct/Nov date. The Promo pass was cheaper than the season pass bought after the Oct/Nov date.

I hope they’re not going to split the season pass so it doesn’t cover the season from the opening week - we can only wait and see…
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
From the Val council meeting last month
“The expected turnover, by increasing the day package by €3, with the notable exception of season packages, could generate a turnover increase of 1.8 million euros excluding tax”

I’m in the 990€ camp for the season pass but we will just have to be patient, which is something we aren’t good at on Snowheads.
My problem now is its my husbands birthday next week and traditionally he gets a print out of his season pass in his birthday card. I’ll have to think of something else or do you think he would notice if I just used last years Eh oh!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@muppet, just put an IOU in Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@muppet, I’m sure they’ll work hard to get everything endorsed by the Tignes council and made public in time for the most important birthday event
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just been chatting to the team at Peak Feeling (see p1 links on "Someone to organise your holiday) they have just relaunched their website. Very much worth a look if you need someone to do the legwork for you!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Season passes on sale now on the Val d’Isere site at 990€ and no IOU needed for tomorrow Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Got mine.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We're thinking about coming to Tignes over Christmas, with the new dog. We'll most likely ski 4 hours max a day while the dog stays in the apartment, and walk him either side of the skiing.

Also considering snowshoeing or touring with him. There's some specific routes for snowshoeing and touring:

https://www.tignes.net/uploads/media/default/0001/80/165330b99b8702c2131253368852c479955548fc.jpeg

However, they lead up to the top of lifts/pistes, and i'm 99.99% sure we can't ski down the piste with the dog.

So any ideas of if there's suitable routes to tour with the dog, and ski back down? We're new to touring, so looking for very easy routes.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@swskier, Quite a few tourers get up early and ski down unopened pistes with their dog.

Other than that any touring routes to fit the bill will require a vehicle trip and uncharted territory.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@chocksaway, thanks for that.

Likely we'll just go for a decent walk around the lake, etc, then get ourselves a 4hr lift pass for the afternoon.
ski holidays
Just re-loading our passes for a trip in Jan and see it is now up to 378 euros - pretty big hike from last year.

There didn't seem to be any multi-person/group discounts from what I could see either.
ski holidays
@NoMapNoCompass,

How many people/days is that for and how much was the equivalent for last year?
snow report
That is for 6(+1 free) days - I added passes for myself and my wife but the price stayed the same at 378 euros each. It is usual to get a bit of discount when purchasing for multiple persons.

I think I bought the same passes last year for about 310 or 315.
snow conditions
It's been touched on in another thread (where I may cross-post in a mo) but it does look like skiing on the glacier is entering a period of 'managed decline'. Rosolin and Champagny T-bars now permanently removed having become unusable. Excerpts / précis from an official communication received by a friend living in Tignes:

Poor snowfall last winter and the subsequent heatwave have severely affected the receding glacier ... advancing it by 10 years. The operations of Roslin and Champagny had been adapted over recent years to start / finish from alternative pylons but this year numerous rocky outcrops have been revealed by the receding glacier making these lifts un-viable. We have therefore dismantled them before they collapse of their own accord. In the future summer/autumn skiing will use the funicular, the cable car, Panoramique and Vanoise chairs and Termignon drag lift.
snow conditions
The 990€ season pass will be valid from when the lifts open (currently planned 26 Nov) until the Tignes lifts close in May - confirmed by STGM.
Parking is now bookable on Indigo website but it is very busy so keeps crashing.
Due to shrunken glacier, Champagny and Rosolin drag lifts have been removed and will not be replaced (STGM says they were no longer safely usable so they took them down before they fell down. Summer and autumn skiing will be restricted to the telepherique, 3500, Panoramic and Vanoise chairlifts (snow permitting).
latest report
Rumors, rumors (on Facebook, where else?). No free outdoor parking in Tignes. Free shuttle bus between Brevieres & le Lac.
We'll see, but noticed this:-
https://en.tignes.net/holidays/car-parks 'Closed outdoor car parks'
snow conditions
Kalinda Girl wrote:
The 990€ season pass will be valid from when the lifts open (currently planned 26 Nov) until the Tignes lifts close in May - confirmed by STGM.
Parking is now bookable on Indigo website but it is very busy so keeps crashing.
Due to shrunken glacier, Champagny and Rosolin drag lifts have been removed and will not be replaced (STGM says they were no longer safely usable so they took them down before they fell down. Summer and autumn skiing will be restricted to the telepherique, 3500, Panoramic and Vanoise chairlifts (snow permitting).

Link to parking website?
snow report
fr.parkindigo.com
snow report
... or see Page 1 / 3rd post (which I will try to update tomorrow with the info that the site is now taking bookings).

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 25-10-22 13:16; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
The 3 things I posted above are confirmed, not FB rumours.
Parking is bookable on Indigo - I and several resident friends have booked.
STGM has confirmed to me that the 990€ lift pass will be valid from the start of the season. It also says so on the website (ski pass Tignes) and I have been able to put it in my basket but online sales are not yet open.
STGM have emailed me explaining why the drag lifts have been permanently removed:

Chère Madame,
Nous vous remercions de l’intérêt que vous portez à notre domaine.
Les faibles chutes de neige de l’hiver dernier cumulées à un été caniculaire ont fortement impacté le recul des glaciers.
Les diverses études sur les prévisions d’évolution du Glacier annonçaient une coupure d’ici 2030-2035, mais celle-ci a malheureusement été constatée cette année. La fonte des glaciers a été avancée de 10 ans.
Pour rappel, les conditions d’exploitation sur les téléskis Champagny et Rosolin se sont dégradées ces dernières années, et nous avions, par conséquent, adapté leur exploitation :
Depuis 3 ans : départ possible uniquement du P3 de Champagny
Depuis 2 ans : arrivée possible uniquement au niveau du P5 de Rosolin.
Cette année, une barre rocheuse est sortie au niveau du P6 de Champagny coupant le téléski.
Tous ces facteurs (nombreuses barres rocheuses sortantes, baisse et recule du glacier), ne nous permettent plus d’exploiter ces 2 téléskis dans des conditions de sécurités optimales et réglementaires. Nous avons donc procédé à leurs démontages immédiat avant qu’ils ne tombent au sol tout seul.
A l’avenir, le ski été/automne se fera avec le Funiculaire, le Téléphérique, les télésièges Panoramique et Vanoise, le téléski Termignon.
Au plaisir de vous accueillir sur notre domaine très prochainement,
Veuillez recevoir, Chère Madame, l’expression de nos cordiales salutations.

(Bob ski gave a quick translation above.) Sarah, who said this on FB, works for the Régie des Pistes so that’s how she knew.
snow conditions
And STGM’s email re season lift pass:
Chère Madame,
Le titre saison hiver Tignes – Val d’Isère sera valide dès l’ouverture du domaine prévue le 26/11/2022 jusqu’au 07/05/2023 – selon conditions d’enneigement.
Si vous avez une activité professionnelle sur la station, je vous invite à contacter le service Socio-Professionnel de Tignes Développement sinon le service Partenariat Propriétaire si vous louez votre bien à la clientèle durant la saison.
Seule une adhésion à l’un de ces services permet à présent d’obtenir un tarif préférentiel sur le tarif saison.
Très cordialement
ski holidays
@Kalinda Girl, All you say is correct. Are you a full time resident or second home owner? The Proprietaires scheme hasn't opened yet to allow me to say I'm a member, but I'm not classed as a resident, I believe they will check that via the taxe d,'habitation invoice that you will have to submit.
latest report
I am resident. I uploaded my Taxe d’hab, which shows my primary residence is in Tignes.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kalinda Girl wrote:

I have not been able to book parking. I went on the website yesterday evening and again twice today but when I click on Le Lavachet nothing happens. Perhaps you were able to book because you are what they describe as a "subscriber"? Any ideas would be welcome.
snow conditions
@Kalinda Girl,
What is happening with the Aiguille Percee?
snow conditions
Just booked (subject to final confirmation) car parking for the season at the Golf for £335. Reduced amount as surrendering a peak week.
snow report
@Kenzie
I don’t think anything is happening with the Aiguille Percee any time soon. I think there was a proposal to replace it with the Tichot chairlift when that is replaced with a telecabine but I think that hit planning problems and is on hold. The Aiguille Rouge is being upgraded and should be finished by the start of the season.
snow conditions
@richjp
I don’t know what you mean by a subscriber. I had never heard of Indigo before this week. I received an email from Tignes mairie directing me to Indigo to book residents’ parking, which I did, on their website (eventually!) I created an account, chose my car park, indicated I was a resident, uploaded proof of residency and French registered car and paid. Received confirmation this morning. I think maybe only residents and seasonal workers on contracts can book at the moment. There might not be any space left for anyone else!
snow report
@Ski lots That’s cheap. What do you mean by ‘surrendering a peak week’? Surrendering your car parking space in a peak week? I wasn’t given that option.
snow conditions
@chocksaway As well as Taxe d’hab confirming primary residence I also had to upload my carte grise - French vehicle registration doc - which confirms that my car and I are both French resident.
ski holidays
@Kalinda Girl, For members of the Proprietors Scheme, not yet open for 2022/3 subscription you can opt for a full season or full season minus 1 high week (Xmas, NY, Feb Hols) and save €50. It does seem a bit daft that you can book before joining the scheme though!

Presumably they think most sensible props disappear in Feb and they can then flog a peak week at full price. As a resident you obviously need your parking for the season.
ski holidays
@richjp, If I remember rightly, there is a waiting list for parking in Lavachet, kind if a grandfather's right thing. Slots for newbies open later.
ski holidays
@Kalinda Girl, as @chockaway says you give up one of the peak weeks during the most popular periods - half term etc. Last year we were given a choice of weeks to nominate. This year they have not yet said which weeks or indeed confirmed we are members of the scheme, but the charge has hit the credit card. We intend to be there most of Jan, Mar, April and into May, but certainly not mid-Feb.
ski holidays
swskier wrote:
We're thinking about coming to Tignes over Christmas, with the new dog. We'll most likely ski 4 hours max a day while the dog stays in the apartment, and walk him either side of the skiing.

Also considering snowshoeing or touring with him. There's some specific routes for snowshoeing and touring:

https://www.tignes.net/uploads/media/default/0001/80/165330b99b8702c2131253368852c479955548fc.jpeg

However, they lead up to the top of lifts/pistes, and i'm 99.99% sure we can't ski down the piste with the dog.

So any ideas of if there's suitable routes to tour with the dog, and ski back down? We're new to touring, so looking for very easy routes.

100% no dogs on pistes (save those belonging to the Pisteurs)

2 options we’ve done:
1. drive down to Fornet and tour up the D902 to just before the (Mangard ?) blue run then ski down the gullies off piste - ski the last little bit on the track parallel to the isere. Leads over the bridge back to Crozets for a slap up lunch.
2. Park at the last car park on the right in the Manchet valley (just below where Santons lets out) and use the cross country and then touring trail up to the Ferme Arsellaz (for a fun but expensive lunch) then ski down the bottom part of Cugnai - all off piste until you join the cross-country trail again.
They’re both about 400m vertical.
We’ve also skinned up Toviere and Col de Fresse before sunrise from Val Claret - this has had bipolar reactions from the piste bashers - some love it and you get a big thumbs up, others are probably reporting us to the Pisteurs - I have never found those trips relaxing. Options 1 and 2 are very chilled.

ski holidays
I’m in Tignes January 7 for a week. Looking for an off piste course. I know of Snoworks and TDC. Any other recommendations?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy