Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and Tignes-Val D'Isere (formerly Espace Killy) 2022/3. Useful links on Page 1

Poster: A snowHead
Mark1863 wrote:
Snoworks tell me
Next week Tignes are planning:
Funicular Perce Neige
Telecabine Grande Motte
Lanche
Vanoise
Tichot
Gratalu

So they are running courses next week

Which pistes open?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I noticed that they had been running cannons on Carline. So I suspect Tichot to loop around Gratalu and Carline. Double M and whatever's skiable on the Glacier.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Mark1863, have snoworks (or anyone else) mentioned if Val bought season passes will work in Tignes this weekend? We will be in Val regardless, but would like to know ahead of time if it's worth driving round to Tignes for une petite slide (previous years Val purchased passes had to be used in Val first)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Dr John, I’m also interested if you hear anything.
We arrive in Val on Thursday and after a few days of household chores had planned to drive round to Tignes.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dr John & muppet - historically a season pass has to be validated in its home resort which means the answer would be that no you can't use your pass. HOWEVER given the changing of the season dates and lots of people had already booked accommodation packages / instructors with clients etc the word on the street is 'its been looked into'. My colleague is asking the STVI tomorrow in person as he has asked for a meeting to discuss just this... so if I hear anything will report back! However assume you can't use your pass - dumb I know but....
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Re. the earlier views on the DFDS ferry buffet. My views on the Newcastle to Amsterdam version:
Quote:
1. The food is quite low quality: I have to disagree. Everything we tried was spot on. Lovely fresh pizzas, proper burgers, tasty curry and meatballs and tender beef teriyaki. Delicious cheesecake too. Stuff I didn't try looked good as well - eg salmon, steamed vegetables, chilli and tacos.
2. The food is not particularly hot: Some was very hot, some could've been hotter, but all was passable.
3. It’s really loud: It wasn't as the ship wasn't very busy at all.
4. Tables are too close together so people always squeeze/push past you when you’re sitting down trying to eat: Yes, some are very close - but it wasn't an issue due to how quiet the place was overall. As far as I could see, nobody was sat on a table with anyone else on an adjacent close one.
5. Something about a buffet turns people in to animals: Saw no evidence of anything untoward. We didn't queue at all. Just walked straight up to get whatever we wanted. No sign of hand to hand combat

The verdict: I'd recommend it! Very Happy Decent value too (given the captive market) at £23pp. We may well book for the return run.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Steve Angus, Can someone not just turn on the turnstile at the La Daille bubble and we can all drive past activate our passes before jumping back in the car to continue round to Tignes. Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Can someone not just turn on the turnstile at the La Daille bubble

@muppet, that would be my suggestion too.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mountainaddict wrote:
Re. the earlier views on the DFDS ferry buffet. My views on the Newcastle to Amsterdam version:
Quote:
1. The food is quite low quality: I have to disagree. Everything we tried was spot on. Lovely fresh pizzas, proper burgers, tasty curry and meatballs and tender beef teriyaki. Delicious cheesecake too. Stuff I didn't try looked good as well - eg salmon, steamed vegetables, chilli and tacos.
2. The food is not particularly hot: Some was very hot, some could've been hotter, but all was passable.
3. It’s really loud: It wasn't as the ship wasn't very busy at all.
4. Tables are too close together so people always squeeze/push past you when you’re sitting down trying to eat: Yes, some are very close - but it wasn't an issue due to how quiet the place was overall. As far as I could see, nobody was sat on a table with anyone else on an adjacent close one.
5. Something about a buffet turns people in to animals: Saw no evidence of anything untoward. We didn't queue at all. Just walked straight up to get whatever we wanted. No sign of hand to hand combat

The verdict: I'd recommend it! Very Happy Decent value too (given the captive market) at £23pp. We may well book for the return run.

1. Fed up of pizza, burgers and curries - sounds like a school canteen rather than actual nutritious food I want to eat.
2. I don’t like paying ahead of time for food which only turns out to be ‘passable’ - if my restaurant dish comes out ‘not hot’ I say, you can’t do that on a buffet
3. Lucky
4. Related to 3 so if it wasn’t busy logic dictates people weren’t rammed in ergo no or not much squeezing/pushing past.
5. Again related to 3.

Restaurant any day.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Has anyone been able to book a parking spot for a holiday week?

I'm trying to make a parking reservation in Golf via indigoneo.
Sat dec 31 16:00 - Sat 7 jan 16:00. It shows available for €99,
however as soon a I try to make the reservation/pay I get a error "something went wrong!" no more parking spaces available

Is it really full already or is indigoneo having issues?

-------------
#Edit: nevermind, I was able to book when times were changed from Sat dec 31 17:00 - Sat 7 jan 12:00
Those times are also indicated on the Tignes website, but would be helpful if indigoneo was more clear on that during the booking process
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Steve Angus, great stuff, thanks.

@muppet, excellent idea. Also Yann to open Rose Blanch for the obligatory opening day pint(s).
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@MisterIks, looks like you sorted it, but your post prompted me to book ours for 24-31 Dec, which I did with no issues.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
MisterIks wrote:
Has anyone been able to book a parking spot for a holiday week?

I'm trying to make a parking reservation in Golf via indigoneo.
Sat dec 31 16:00 - Sat 7 jan 16:00. It shows available for €99,
however as soon a I try to make the reservation/pay I get a error "something went wrong!" no more parking spaces available

Is it really full already or is indigoneo having issues?

-------------
#Edit: nevermind, I was able to book when times were changed from Sat dec 31 17:00 - Sat 7 jan 12:00
Those times are also indicated on the Tignes website, but would be helpful if indigoneo was more clear on that during the booking process

I was getting worried, as I was originally offered parking for Feb half term by Sunweb up in Val Claret. In the end, they suggested I book through the Tignes website, so got diverted to the IndigoNeo site. After a bit of faffing, finally managed to get it booked. Not sure if I was just lucky.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Good visibility and fresh snow outside. At 9am the electronic board at the Tignes funicular mentioned: ''Funiculaire, ouverture décalée pour raison technique. Prochain point info à 11h.''
I switched outfits and material Smile and did some ski de randonnée up underneath Lanches for a morning cardio workout instead of training. The French ENSA ski instructor courses and the UCPA training groups were doing exercices on the snow before and around the funicular, poling up and down, turning around objets etc. Fingers crossed tomorrow there's skiing, working lifts, not too much wind Smile
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Signs of the Grand Motte gondola and Lanches chair being test-run this morning.

Quite a large squad of skiers/instructors at the bottom of Double M, and some skiers on the chair. Probably from the Club des Sports or the Academy.

Hopefully still more snow to come in the next couple of days. I wonder if @chocksaway has read the tea-leaves recently? wink

edit, explanation in the previous post. Thanks @JulieAimeLeSki
ski holidays
Kenzie wrote:
Mark1863 wrote:
Snoworks tell me
Next week Tignes are planning:
Funicular Perce Neige
Telecabine Grande Motte
Lanche
Vanoise
Tichot
Gratalu

So they are running courses next week

Which pistes open?

They have not specified. I suspect unlikely to be all open in the areas served by these lifts

Regarding the question will a Val purchased Val/Tignes pass work in Tignes before Val is open. My belief is it will. I have in Tignes before early with a Val purchased pass and it worked no problem. I am not sure I have skied in Tignes when no part of Val was open though. Only STGM or Val's company could answer for certain.
snow report
What percentage of pistes would people expect to be open in the full Tignes/Val area on 3 December?
ski holidays
@Noob921, probably depends on Monday's anticipated snowfall but probably nothing without snowmaking, nothing in Tignes 1800 or Les Brev, I would guess less than 50%
snow report
I cannot see any of the area from Aiguille Perce down to Brevieres being open. Probably not the Palafor Bowl. So largely VC and GM in Tignes. Val will want to get parts of Bellevarde Bowl and Solaise Bowl open but Le Fornet will probably be shut apart from glacier area. I agree 50% max and quite probably quite a bit less dependent on the coming snowfall
latest report
@chocksaway, Hi wondered if you could help us out! We always park in the Golf car park Val claret. However this year they require a ‘high season pass’ starting from 4th February but we have no info as to how to get one, or even if we can!!

All emails to parties concerned are not getting any response and we are at a loss!!

Many thanks
ski holidays
We've been to Tignes for the past 10 or so seasons, going out on/about 10th Dec.

Chaudannes, Aguille Percee, Fresse, Paques, Col Des Ves, Col De Palet and Combe Folle have usually not been open until the week before Xmas. So don't bank on being able to get down (or up) to Brev or Boisses except by bus.

Tichot, Gratalau, Borsat, Tufs, Toviere, Palafour, Merles and Grand Huit, plus the Choo-choo up to the glacier have been open by the time we've arrived. With the new tow rope (Replat between Merles and Palafour), they don't 'have' to open Grand Huit for you to get back to Le Lac from Val Claret, so that one may become a bit iffey too.

Most of Val has been open by the time we arrive but that might be more to do with the Premiere Neige racing bringing punters in. Stantons, Epaulle de Charvet and Face not usually open (Face because of the racing), and Manchet & Cugnai usually closed. We've managed to get to L'Eidelweiss on all but one occasion, and that was in a poor snow year about 5 years ago. The lifts were running up from Fornet, but Laisant usually isn't. The Belvarde Triangle, runs down to La Daille, top of Solaise, the up and over, and most runs on the Val Glacier open.

However, you're a week earlier that us this year, and there isn't any racing on Face this year AKAIK, so things could be different.
snow report
@Nobby, I think you might have to wait, Indigo Tignes are in disarray.

They have to sort out the season passes by the end of this week. Those of us who have second homes were able to pre reserve a season place in October, subject to joining the Proprietors Scheme. The website for that opened exactly a week ago and involved a 3 stage process which took until Friday. They have threatened to cancel our reservations on Friday, at which point they would be facing a riot. So I suspect, the 2 offices are working hard to sort that problem. They also have to contact me to se which high season weeks I am giving up.
Full time residents had to wait 3 weeks for their confirmations.

It's an embarassing mess. I'm looking forward to seeing Monsieur Le Maire, I have known him since 2006!
latest report
chocksaway wrote:

It's an embarassing mess. I'm looking forward to seeing Monsieur Le Maire, I have known him since 2006!

Maybe Monsieur Le Marie will only be speaking Savoyard this season. Or maybe Terrachu? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@Kenzie, I suspect he can speak a bit of both, given his family heritage, but his English is pretty good!
snow conditions
@chocksaway,
But will he acknowledge speaking English (or French) if it means getting earache over the parking issues?
ski holidays
Their Parking website is proving difficult .
We'll be only staying for 4-5 nights but its the same price for a week.
So if i booked Sat-Sat is it ok to turn up on a sunday as your first day ??
snow report
The Proprietaires are still waiting for what shall now be called Indi-nogo!

@Kenzie, He's actually OK (and now very rich having sold the Gentiana).
ski holidays
Just booked rental equipment at https://www.intersport-rent.fr/
They has a white friday promo code WF22UK for 10% discount from November 18th to November 27th
+ if you sign up for their loyalty program you get 5% extra discount
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Loads of fresh snow for our drive up and arrival at Tignes late afternoon today Very Happy It dumped all the way up from Ste Foye, which made for pretty interesting driving conditions in the dark.

No sign of any ploughing and about 6-10cm of untracked snow on the road (with me breaking trail) from Les Brevieres up. Thankfully, my new snow tyres were marvellous and the chains weren't needed.

We parked for about 30 mins to unload all the stuff we've brought out to our apartment. After that time, the car needed a good clearing - it was still dumping down.

Weather looks pretty decent in the morning - so planning on a few hours skinning, and hopefully some fresh tracks, before we crack on with apartment jobs.

ski holidays
@GeorgeVII, Just stared into the bottom of the mug! (Yorkshire Tea leaves obvs).

Looks like the headline was a reasonable week for snow for the last 7 days (wonder if Val were wishing they had opened the Solaise), but next week is looking a bit wishy washy weather wise. Tignes is going to be sat in an area of pulsating high pressure, so not days of cold blue skies. There will be variable amounts of cloud as it moves about, the detail will change but the current outlook is for about 10cm in the next week. But, other than a milder spell over Sunday, it will be cold enough to run the cannons for those slopes that they are concentrating on, expect Val Claret to be the centre of the action, as slopes away from the Glacier are opened.

Tomorrow will be cloudy with light showers of snow, it might be a bit moist down in Brev. The timing of the showers varies between the models so look out of the window or at the webcam! Saturday will be mostly sunny and cold, the isobars seem to be pinching together, soo keep an eye on the wind up top. Sunday will be a reasonable day with some high cloud to take the heat out of the sun. Monday looks like being cloudy with light snow showers arriving after lunch or after dark depending on the model. Maybe 5cm of snow. How long these last into Tuesday is a matter for debate, its all getting a bit variable by then, but it only looks light, bit of snizzle! Beyond that its a mix of sunshine and clouds.
ski holidays
Did a short ski tour at Val Claret this morning - up Henri piste to Paquis Chair and back. A glorious day for it and about -7C when we set off.

The ascent was a mix of groomed piste, slick (wind affected) artificial snow, bulldozed piste and breaking trail through powder. Worth the effort for some fantastic powder turns - followed by very variable snow lower down (very crusty in parts), then nice groomer. A nice trip to get Tignes winter 22/23 underway Very Happy

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 24-11-22 16:59; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@mountainaddict, Looks the best Piste H has ever been !

Enjoy
ski holidays
Cheers GreenDay

Does anyone know of Tignes (Val Claret preferred but happy to travel!) bars that will be showing the England game tomorrow and/or World Cup games in general?

We skinned up through Val Claret centre today and a fair few places still look closed, or are showing 'Closed until opening of the season' signs. It would be helpful if they said if they were opening on Friday or Saturday rolling eyes
latest report
@mountainaddict,
Loop. But posting the question on Facebook group 'Tignes Seasonnaires 2023' may suggest more.
ski holidays
Thanks Kenzie...Will pursue that Very Happy
latest report
Travelling tomorrow and Saturday. In resort Sat Tea Time. At last!
snow conditions
Has anybody been able to use Indego Neo to book parking for a hire car? They want the number plate before you can book Puzzled
snow conditions
Quote:
Has anybody been able to use Indego Neo to book parking for a hire car?
Is there any truth in the rumour that Liz Truss works at the new Tignes parking company? (Ably assisted by Kwasi Kwarteng of course wink )

It's seemingly going from bad to worse... Confused
ski holidays
mountainaddict wrote:
Is there any truth in the rumour that Liz Truss works at the new Tignes parking company? (Ably assisted by Kwasi Kwarteng of course wink )

I believe at this point that can be the only answer!

It isn't even possible to enter a placeholder reg and update it on the day, as the only way to update a booking is to cancel it and rebook. The mind boggles.
latest report
Ha ha, I certainly think that Indi-no-go have "broken parking orthodoxy". Applied 14th Nov. Stuck "awaiting verification". Chased with their on-line form 21st Nov - nothing. Chased again using the email from the on-line form's auto-response. Nothing. Phoned yesterday morning - "the service you are trying to reach is currently unavailable". Phoned yesterday afternoon, tape loop extolling the virtues of Tignes but nobody picking up the phone. Today they finally re-took payment from my card (the original one had lapsed) and sent an email saying the parking was confirmed and I could pick it up after 72 "working hours" (I make that about 9 days time, on an 8 hour day, but in France... maybe 4 hours and 18 days!?). At least I'm £3 better off as the exchange rate has improved since the original transaction.

Love the pics @mountainaddict, both the drive up and the tour. Currently en route and anxious to make sure I buy new chains tomorrow (new winter wheels are a slightly different size on the new car) in case St Foy or La Thuile are tricky.

Thanks for all the updates and intel @chocksaway, on all fronts including the weather ones.

I will try to do my bit once arrived to figure as much as I can on the new parking arrangements but there seem to be so many issues that it may be impossible to cover all.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy