Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and Tignes-Val D'Isere (formerly Espace Killy) 2022/3. Useful links on Page 1

Poster: A snowHead
@chocksaway, Good to have you back in the Meteo Office.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mark1863 wrote:
The tignes pass site does not seem to offer carte neige insurance as usual for a season pass? I am sure this is usually an option. I suspect I will pick it up at the VC office and might be able to add it then?

I was wrong payment by installments only available to certaain Euro countries.
Insurance for the season is 49 Euros. Usefully labelled 1 day as an option. But if you click on details its the insurance.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?

Trying to organize some photos from a trip to VDI....is this Aiguille de la Grand Sassiere? thanks
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Scooter in Seattle, Le Charvet.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ski lots wrote:
@Scooter in Seattle, Le Charvet.

Yep - Rocher du Charvet - looks like you took the pic from the Solaise bubble Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks to you both, and I think that's correct on my position. It was an old boxcar then (2015), I heard it has been replaced since.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Scooter in Seattle wrote:
Thanks to you both, and I think that's correct on my position. It was an old boxcar then (2015), I heard it has been replaced since.

The previous lift was a chairlift with a pull down cover for bad weather.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Old Fartbag wrote:

There was also a cable car, which Scooter in Seattle is referring to

edited once to but Scooter in bold!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 14-11-22 8:37; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stevew wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:

There was also a cable car, wh8ch [[Scooter in Seattle] is referring to

Ah yes - I'd forgotten about it...and I also remember the previous cable car up Bellevarde (which IIRC shared the same base station). The top station now turned into a luxury hotel (Le Refuge), looks interesting.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 14-11-22 0:31; edited 5 times in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
TPH45 de Solaise installed 1942!!! End of service 2016 replaced by TCD10 de Solaise built 2016. Source: https://www.remontees-mecaniques.net/bdd/reportage-tcd10-de-solaise-doppelmayr-6210.html

A lovely geek site - Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm a lift geek too, and I like skiresort.info. I like to check the vert of certain lifts at places I'm considering.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have a group of families driving to Tignes for New Year 22/23 arriving Thursday 29th and departing 5th Jan. I've driven to the Alps many times and never had an issue parking. This season, it seems that the car parks in Tignes operate only Sat>Sat or Sun>Sun meaning that we have to book two weeks parking.

Does anyone have any idea that could help us pay for the parking period we actually require? For the group is a wasted £500.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dont know if anyone can help with this. Son is spending the season in Tignes. Will visit at some stage. My daughter is disabled and I have a tessier accreditation which means I can use the Piloted Dual Ski to take her out. The ski schools offer private lessons for "handiski" but does anyone know if you can just hire a sit ski for the week? IF anyone has any info or contacts, would be very grateful. I've mssaged Oxygene, Evolution and ESF thought not wildly optimistic.

Thanks
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@MatthewStenson, It's been like that for a while. Odd days such as yours ate on an availability only basis. E mail the office and ask for advice, which may be pitch up, enter the car park and pay when you leave.
I've had lots of mates visit for 3 or 4 days with hire cars, never been a snag.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 14-11-22 16:26; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@dan100,
1) Try asking on Facebook group 'Tignes Seasonnaires 2023'
2) Get son to ask around ski schools & hire shops when he gets to Tignes.
snow conditions
@dan100, Have you tried these people
https://ski2freedom.com/en/mountain-sport-activities/disabled-skiing-equipment#rental
Let me know if you have any luck. My adaptive rowing team are keen to have a Squad ski holiday soon
latest report
To be fair Oxygene have come back to me. Am also in touch with Catherine at ski2freedom. hire not cheap at week for 600 euros but sitskis are expensive bits of kit so we have a solution
snow report
OK spoke to tourist office in Le Lac and they confirm that the office next door to le lavachet underground carpark is now closed down, and Indigo have taken over the parking.
I have booked 21 days parking for our trip via their website, and apparently will have to visit their office in Le Lac 3 when we are there to top up/extend the parking stay.
I may give indigo a ring a bit nearer the dates instead and try to extend the existing booking (21 days seems to be an arbitrary limit!)
snow conditions
@dan100,
That is good news. As stated let me know your experience.
I know Oxygene in La Plagne have a good reputation for adaptive lessons.
I also know someone who has a lot of experience organising holidays and has set up a company to do just that for those with a disability.
snow conditions
Looks like the glacier will be open on Friday.
snow report
Hi @MatthewStenson, this subject came up last year, but would need a bit of a search through old Tignes-VdI threads. As @chocksaway, says folks have been advised that to park starting on a week day, you have to just rock up at Lac 3 car park - where you can park free for 2 hours - and buy it on the spot for your car park of choice.

However, a recent enquiry to Tignes contained the following in their reply: "[parking] rates and conditions are no longer the same as in previous years". So can't be sure until someone visits and either tests it out or checks with the parking office, which might be me in a couple of weeks time.

At the time you are visiting, the covered car parks are generally pretty full so if buying on arrival there is a likelihood you would end up having to buy a 'voirie' ticket - this gives you the right to park in designated areas on the road. If you are unhappy about potentially having the car in the open for a week, then a mix-and-match approach where eg, you pre-purchase parking for the Sat-Sat - last couple of days of which are wasted - and pay on arrival for the few days at the start of your stay.
snow report
Quote:
Looks like the glacier will be open on Friday
That would be a bit of a bonus Very Happy

Where's this welcome surprise news from rjs? Tignes website is still saying the opening date is 26th November.
latest report
@mountainaddict, Report here.
snow report
Quote:
Report here
That's great rjs - thanks for that.

We're booked on the overnight ferry to Amsterdam next Monday night - driving to Tignes to do some jobs on our apartment. Had thought we wouldn't be skiing until the 26th, so that's a bonus. The jobs might just have to wait until after skiing Laughing
latest report
Bad news from Val d’Isere

From Radio Val d’Isere
In view of the weather conditions and the particularly mild autumn, the opening of the Tignes – Val d'Isère ski area, initially scheduled for November 26, has been postponed to December 3, 2022.
more info tomorrow morning.
ski holidays
@muppet, just seen that, v annoying, but apparently extended t'other end to 8th May
snow report
Quote:
The opening of the Tignes - Val d'Isère ski area, initially scheduled for November 26, has been postponed to December 3, 2022
Given the earlier post re the Tignes glacier apparently opening this week, I'm confused by this.

Do they just mean there will be nothing open in terms of links between Tignes and Val D? Or is Tignes also now not open until 3rd Dec Puzzled
snow conditions
@mountainaddict, I would guess they mean anything outside of the glacier area.

This mentions "pre-opening" on the 18th, but not updated yet to reflect push back of the opening date.

https://en.tignes.net/events/highlights/grand-opening
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@mountainaddict, @kitenski, Was a translation from Radio Val d'Isere twitter.

Embedded here - www.radiovaldisere.com
latest report
Cheers kitenski and Dr John. Great stuff!

Not sure why it's not just 'opening' on the 18th - but if it means skis on our feet from midweek next week, we'll go with 'pre-opening.' Very Happy

Pre-book, pre-order, pre-arrange, pre-existing...AAAAGH!! All superfluous - but it's taking over the world! Mad (OK, I'll give you prehistoric! wink ):
ski holidays
@kitenski, @mountainaddict, if Tignes open and Val not, will season pass purchased in Val work in Tignes without being activated in Val first?
latest report
Dr John wrote:
@kitenski, @mountainaddict, if Tignes open and Val not, will season pass purchased in Val work in Tignes without being activated in Val first?

Couldn't say for sure, but I suspect they will 'bus' people round from VDI to Tignes until the links are opened.
snow conditions
Quote:
if Tignes open and Val not, will season pass purchased in Val work in Tignes without being activated in Val first?
I'm sure someone will know Dr John, but I'm afraid I don't. Never had a season pass but Mrs MA and I are looking to get one this year.
ski holidays
Another thing to check could be whether either Tignes or Val d'Isere season passes are valid for the autumn, or if you would need to also pay by the day to ski on the glacier from friday even if you have a season pass.
snow report
Didn't occur to me that we wouldn't be covered for autumn rjs - but nothing would surprise me these days... rolling eyes
snow report
mountainaddict wrote:
Didn't occur to me that we wouldn't be covered for autumn rjs - but nothing would surprise me these days... rolling eyes

Back in the day the autumn season wasn't covered by the winter season pass, but it wasn't unknown for STGM to be persuaded to 'pre-extend' passes for a week or two of glacier/Double M bashing. wink
snow report
Quote:
Back in the day the autumn season wasn't covered by the winter season pass
Bit tight of them if it's not IMO...Last season, our first ever season tickets (Tirol Snow Cards) were valid for 4 or 5 Tirolean glaciers from October to May. As well as about 85 other ski areas in the winter season. And all for a bargain €870.
snow conditions
As I am sitting waiting for a phone call from the garage on the MOT and waiting for the fabled e mail from the proprietors Scheme to arrive I thought I'd better have a look at the weather. I thought that it was a little early for Val to delay the opening given the general forecast, perhaps the risk of signing on staff was too much or running lifts with hardly anyone on as thoughts had not turned to skiing because of the warm weather was perhaps the reasoning. Especially as its going to be unsettled and snowy at height next week (remember the season where there was significantly more skiing in Val compared with Tignes as everything above the Solaise was fine and accessible by gondola for up and download).

Anyway, over the next week its very unsettled with bands of precipitation and it is going to cool down at the end of this week before warming slightly into next. After a pleasant day today, it will deteriorate tonight with showers through tomorrow, the snowline will be somewhere between Val and Tignes during the day but down below the dam after dark, some snow though, more at height, amounts are varying significantly in the various forecasts, thats the nature of showers. The snow will stop before daybreak on Friday leaving a nice day but the air will cool significantly. Saturday will see sunny periods and another drop in temperature, this should allow the cannons to run down to the villages, especially in the shade. Sunday will start OK and then deteriorate as moderate snow should fall down to the Dam or thereabouts, the showers will then intensify through the nigh. Monday will see continued showers, but it will be a bit warmer, so perhaps a bit sleety in Val centre in the afternoon. Showers will continue through Tuesday, the snow line will vary through the relative warmth of the day, again sleety in Val and rain in Brev in the afternoon. Beyond that is very uncertain, but Wednesday looks better, but more more snow by Thursday. Overall, above 2300m or so I would expect 20-40cm of snow by this time next week.
snow conditions
chocksaway wrote:
I thought that it was a little early for Val to delay the opening given the general forecast, perhaps the risk of signing on staff was too much or running lifts with hardly anyone on as thoughts had not turned to skiing because of the warm weather was perhaps the reasoning.

Completely agree. A local says the cost of power had a big influence on the decision.
snow report
@Mountainaddict
Quote:

OK, I'll give you prehistoric!

I think that's what those of us are, who find the proliferation of pre in the modern world so offensive! Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy