Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and Tignes-Val D'Isere (formerly Espace Killy) 2022/3. Useful links on Page 1

Poster: A snowHead
The on snow rugby match tomorrow, 6pm, bottom of Carline piste, according to Fbook.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Anyone know what the wailing alarm like an air raid siren means in Tignes? Gone off twice this week to my knowledge.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
philhitch wrote:
Anyone know what the wailing alarm like an air raid siren means in Tignes? Gone off twice this week to my knowledge.

Happens 1200 first Wednesday of every month in every town and village across France. Check out more info from The Connexion (expat French newspaper)

"Sirens sound on the first Wednesday of each month across France (and Monaco notably). Do you know what they mean?

The history behind the monthly sirens in France
Dating back to the Second World War, the 4,500 sirens of the Réseau National d’Alerte are supposed to sound a warning in the event of a major incident such as a cloud of toxic gas or nuclear accident, or another imminent local catastrophe such as a dam break.

Official advice from Interior Ministry says that, on hearing the siren, people are supposed to know about likely local dangers and move to avoid being affected.

The two different sirens: One for testing, one for real-life situations
The alarm siren is different from the monthly reminder, which sounds for just one minute at noon on the first Wednesday of every month.

In a real alarm, it sounds for three sequences of one minute and 41 seconds in a rising and falling tone with a five-second gap between each sequence. The end of the alert is indicated by a 30-second siren sound."
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Steve Angus, thanks. It went off on Tignes just before 9 this morning (Thursday)....
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tignes weather update.... After nearly a week of bluebird, the cloud has descended today and it's snowing heavily....
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
philhitch wrote:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid038H7gcSBqxQfnro9VUmPe2eT9mGf9457mFcn9ykfu322oJYCekhP6eWdVMhD9JPTMl&id=100063648305328
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
According to the Tignes App alerts, La Liesse piste is open.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
hamilton wrote:
@Steve Angus, thanks. It went off on Tignes just before 9 this morning (Thursday)....

French timekeeping Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It was still sunny as we ate breakfast, but it deteriorated rapidly and light snow started just as the lifts opened. We were in cloud most of the day in Lac. There has been some heavy snow showers, a lot of light showers and a nearly sunny gap about half 3, that lasted till 4. I stopped in and started on the end of season jobs, but there has been more snow thann forecast so tomorrow could be good. The roads round the village are all wet, so no snags tomorrow as this light snow is going to peter out as it gets dark.

A fairly cold night will leave a sunny morning, a few flufft clouds will develop in the afternoon, it will be warm in the sun but wrap up early doors. Sunday should do what it says on the tin - it should be a sunny day. Warm in the sun cool in the shade. Monday will be more cloudy especially in the afternoon, and this cloud will thicken and there will be light showers later in the night - but rain to Val Centre at the moment. Not certain on Tuesday but probably light snow showers down to 1800m clearing up in the afternoon. But it will be windy.

The travel tomorrow on the roads should be easy, good weather, no strikes and only light traffic, 22k cars coming up and 20 going home. So, I wonder what will happen?

For those flying the airports around London and Birmingham are forecasting a chance of fog early in the morning. If it forms it may slow things up. Same at Grenoble, Lyon and Chambery but the chance is a little higher over here. For those heading early to Chambery, a wise pilot would wait till the threat has reduced, that may be early enough for the early flights, especially if the wind picks up early, fingers crossed.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@chocksaway, I have been very grateful for your forecasts and general helpful information this week. Our first time here, staying at the Lac, in the Village Montana hotel/apartments. Daughter and son in law, who we are with know their way round well so we get pointed in the right direction. Their girls are in ski school and doing well, our son’s seven year old also in ski school and first time skiing for him and two previous holidays got cancelled due to Covid. There is also a very noisy three year old grand daughter, in a green helmet, to avoid if possible…. well she has her moments. The snow today was a bit of a surprise in quantity. Afraid that OH and I spotted the bus at Val Claret after skiing over there this morning so decided to finish on a good note as we have had a fabulous week’s skiing, but our older eyes really don’t cope well when the viz is bad.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@chocksaway, "there has been more snow than forecast" you don't say! Bergfex indicated 5cm for the day.... We'd had that by 10 am and it didn't really stop, still going now at 1830. Considering the offpiste looked tracked everywhere yesterday, and the marmots were out, tomorrow looks like a potential epic.
Laissier was tough, limited Viz and 40kmh wind.... Quite grim on the intro, but better once in the lee.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.

15cm fell within 2hrs in La Daille but by the time we returned at 1700 it had mostly melted, but has now started to settle again
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
hamilton wrote:

Seems to be general puzzlement why it went off at a non standard time this morning.... weird!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Another good day with lots of light snow at altitude which settled though the day as the temperature increased. The best snow was obviously up t'Motte, so those lifts were busy, the rest of the resort was deserted. we had some good runs, had an early bacon butty at the Corner, which also allowed us to do a bit of 'sleb spotting (Chemmy). Col de Ves was still good post lunch, Chardo side entrance not so much as it had had a touch of the sun. It was a cold start, even the Marmottes on Palafour were only going a couple of steps from the burrows!

As for the alarm the other day, I can only think it was a test post maintenance (having failed on Wed??).

The clouds that are forming now should disappear through the night, they may produce the odd flocon later this evening. That should leave a sunny day tomorrow, it will feel warm in the sun, but it will be a cold start, especially at height where there will be a breeze. Monday morning will probably be bright under a veil of cloud but this will thicken through the day. Tuesday is still a conundrum as the weather front can't decide whether it is going to get here or drift into Switzerland, the current best guess is a cloudy morning with light showers in the afternoon, snowline probably just above La Daille. Depending what the front does means Wednesday will either be showery or a nice day.

For the Sunday travellers, there is a slim chance of fog at Leeds which won't stop take offs, other than that fine in the UK. Over here GVA - fine, the 3 French airports are all give a slim chance of early fog - if it forms, Lyon will cope admirably, it could slow things at Grenoble, but unlikely. It would shut Chambery!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
chocksaway wrote:
It would shut Chambery!

...which would probably result in a more pleasant passenger experience Toofy Grin
snow report
chocksaway - must have just missed you at Corner... as we were there with Chemmy too!
snow conditions
Dream transfers and travels here. Left NW England 6:40am Friday, 12:20 am the Eurotunnel train departed. Arrived Langres 6:30pm for a fast food meal, checked into Ibis and had a pleasant walk around the ramparts.

Good night's sleep, 7:30 am 10k of run around Langres, quick nip to LeClerc and then 2pm arrived chambery. Flight from Leeds on time and our passenger sailed though passport etc, so the 3pm arrival turned into a 3:30pm departure and we had the easiest journey ever up to resort which took 2h10 so we were in the accommodation for 5:45pm.

Hire kit sorted, lift passes sorted. Bring on tomorrow!!
ski holidays
Just booked a long weekend 21 to 24 April given how great conditions look. Distinctly average skier looking for recommendations for long cruisey blues and the odd very easy red to go at. Stopping in hotel Altitude (no idea if any good but looks very central if nothing else), never been to Val before but did Tignes years ago snowboarding so know that side a bit.
snow conditions
bigtuboflard wrote:
Just booked a long weekend 21 to 24 April given how great conditions look. Distinctly average skier looking for recommendations for long cruisey blues and the odd very easy red to go at. Stopping in hotel Altitude (no idea if any good but looks very central if nothing else), never been to Val before but did Tignes years ago snowboarding so know that side a bit.

Altitude hotel in Val d? Yes good location bottom of both Solaise and Bellevarde mountains.

So some runs you will like based on what you have mentioned.

- Plan Milet up Solaise and taking the up and over towards Fornet then all the Blues as low as the Signal Restaurant you will find like e.g. Combe du Giant. You'll also like the Moraine red up on the Val glacier.
- For Bellevarde side fitting the long cruise blue criteria and that alone I personally dont think anything in particular would fit your criteria (long cruise greens yes up that side like Borsat / Genepy but not blues (personally dont classify 3J / Diebold as long cruisey blue for those who comment).
- Tignes side then sounds like you have that covered
snow report
Thanks @Steve_Angus, yes the hotel in Val. Was thinking of spending Saturday on Solaise and Sunday heading towards Tignes. Got most of Monday too so will play that depending on the weather. Really looking forward to it.
ski holidays
bigtuboflard wrote:
Thanks @Steve_Angus, yes the hotel in Val. Was thinking of spending Saturday on Solaise and Sunday heading towards Tignes. Got most of Monday too so will play that depending on the weather. Really looking forward to it.

Yes Saturday and Sunday Solaise and Fornet works well.

In general all the runs that lead down to the valley floor in Val whether the La Daille end or the Fornet end.... just take the colour of those runs with a pinch of salt. Also bearing in mind the time of year stay high for the best snow and conditions and you'll have a great time. Enjoy
latest report
@Steve Angus, Borsat might be marked green but the first pitch was one of the hardest runs I did a couple of weeks ago. My other half did comment that when I took him down Crocus (black) it wasn't as difficult as the top of Borsat.
snow report
Another bluebird day:
First Toviere
First Funiculaire
First Cable Car
First down the glacier and Lesisse!

Yes it was an early charge and the piste down from the cable car was perfect corduroy, not often you say that! It was probably in the best state that I have experienced. Leisse was compacted powder at the top, but on the steep pitch, which seems a lot steeper than last year, it was a bot chopped up still from Friday's skiers. There's plenty of room to get through the rocks but none of the run is pisted. Clearly I was first up Leisse and then down a very quiet Double M. I was expecting queues, like yesterday, but none seemed to materialise, must have been a load of Saturday day visitors. I was at the counter at the Rosee Blanche by 1029 for the last coffee of the season. It was then home to start the big clean up as I depart early Tuesday, the ski kit is drying nicely on the balcony!

I had a look at the lumiplan for both here and next door this afternoon and it was the first time, this season I think, that every lift in the EK was running (Termignon and Panoramique excepted as they are summer only). So much for a poor short winter.

Tomorrow should start with a thin veil of cloud, get out early as it will thicken quickly. The air will be a lot warmer but in the shade it may well not seem like it! There is still a bit of disagreement over Tuesday, it depends how far the front comes south. Currently it will be windy cloudy and light showers but they will be rain to about 2000m. Wednesday looks like being cloudy through the day and then windy with snow down to below the Dam from the evening. Thursday should see snow showers all day, maybe a hint of sun in between but very windy. It may be a bit damp in Brev in the afternoon, other than that another top up for the whole resort.

So, another season done, still got all my arms and legs, and despite doom and gloom from the media, its been an interesting one weather wise, apart from Feb when the record got stuck!
snow conditions
@chocksaway, it was some Februrary alright (or not some February)

Thanks as ever for your updates, always reliable and always an accurate and unembellished account of the snow which I find useful no matter where I'm heading!

Have a great Summer
ski holidays
+1... thanks @chocksaway for another season. Between yourself and @Steve Angus the EK is surely the most comprehensively reported ski area on sH; us one-week warriors can live the season vicariously on here snowHead
snow conditions
sugarmoma666 wrote:
@Steve Angus, Borsat might be marked green but the first pitch was one of the hardest runs I did a couple of weeks ago. My other half did comment that when I took him down Crocus (black) it wasn't as difficult as the top of Borsat.

.... There's the cut around at the top missing that section. It's (poorly) marked on the Piste map.
ski holidays
Thanks @chocksaway for the season updates... Until next year.
latest report
chocksaway wrote:
Another bluebird day:
First Toviere
First Funiculaire
First Cable Car
First down the glacier and Lesisse!

Yes it was an early charge and the piste down from the cable car was perfect corduroy, not often you say that! It was probably in the best state that I have experienced. Leisse was compacted powder at the top, but on the steep pitch, which seems a lot steeper than last year, it was a bot chopped up still from Friday's skiers. There's plenty of room to get through the rocks but none of the run is pisted. Clearly I was first up Leisse and then down a very quiet Double M. I was expecting queues, like yesterday, but none seemed to materialise, must have been a load of Saturday day visitors. I was at the counter at the Rosee Blanche by 1029 for the last coffee of the season. It was then home to start the big clean up as I depart early Tuesday, the ski kit is drying nicely on the balcony!

I had a look at the lumiplan for both here and next door this afternoon and it was the first time, this season I think, that every lift in the EK was running (Termignon and Panoramique excepted as they are summer only). So much for a poor short winter.

Tomorrow should start with a thin veil of cloud, get out early as it will thicken quickly. The air will be a lot warmer but in the shade it may well not seem like it! There is still a bit of disagreement over Tuesday, it depends how far the front comes south. Currently it will be windy cloudy and light showers but they will be rain to about 2000m. Wednesday looks like being cloudy through the day and then windy with snow down to below the Dam from the evening. Thursday should see snow showers all day, maybe a hint of sun in between but very windy. It may be a bit damp in Brev in the afternoon, other than that another top up for the whole resort.

So, another season done, still got all my arms and legs, and despite doom and gloom from the media, its been an interesting one weather wise, apart from Feb when the record got stuck!

Once again, I’ve really enjoyed your updates on what must be one of the most welcoming and friendliest threads on this forum even though we skied / boarded elsewhere this season. Enjoy your spring / summer and here’s to a great 2023/24 season.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@chocksaway, thanks for this seasons reports. Always informative and the one I look at pre'l depature for the flight weather advice.

Looks like rain for your return to gods own county next week Very Happy
latest report
@chocksaway, gawd knows when I'll be back in Tignes, but I'll buy you a pint when I do. Always a great thread
latest report
Just back from a lovely weeks skiing in Tignes. Arriving Saturday and just avoiding having to put on chains. Fantastic conditions on piste for sit skiing with my daughter. Amazing help from the limited and great now my son is 19 and been skiing for a season was an amazing ski buddy and great to ski with all 3 of my kids. Eldest loved being back on the slopes after 5 years. Apart from one mishap on tufs lifties were a fantastic help. Apologies to those we slowed up. Even went out in the mini dump Friday morning and managed a great afternoon skiing Friday alone when the sun came ou.
snow report
Didn't know leisse was open today... It was shut on Saturday.... When in the am the nice snow was available. I spent Sat morning lapping Aiguille Percee... Not too busy,. But tracked when I left it to adventure down to breviere.. snow still fluffy high up on Sunday... Under Cugnai it was quite nice.... But holding out for the next storm!
latest report
chocksaway wrote:

...It was then home to start the big clean up as I depart early Tuesday...So, another season done...

Thanks for the updates and advice @chocksaway - look forward to skiing with you next season!
ski holidays
Thanks everybody.
@holidayloverxx, I'll look forward to that.
@turbosmurf, Yeah, I'll take you on a mystery tour - you can show me how to do bumps properly!

Time for one last forecast whilst everything is drying.....

There might be the odd sunny spell tonight, but the cloud will then thicken and precipitation will start around first light, with a snowline at about 2000m - not greta for packing a car! The afternoon will be mainly cloudy, the odd peep of the Sun, and there may be the lightest of showers. There will be a stiff old breeze at altitude. Wednesday will be windy starting with a veil of high cloud then light showers will start in the afternoon, rain initially to 18-1900 m then snow all the way down to Brev as evening falls. Thursday windy and snowy, a variety of snowy showers, light then heavy etc. Might be a bit moist below the Dam in the afternoon - at altitude another 10-20cm of snow. Friday and Saturday looks like a mixture of sun showers and wind. Another top up aloft.
ski holidays
Two great days under the belt, weather gods look to being less kind to us for the rest of the week but can't complain.

Had two fabulous runs down from the top of the glacier yesterday all the way down to the Lanches lift. What are the straight lines "fields of snow" stuff at the top? Presume its some method of harvesting the snow for the summer skiing?
snow conditions
@larkim, They are for catching the wind blown snow to create snowdrifts equally it’s a way of also stopping any new snow blowing away , works like snow fences do in Scotland for instance . So yes a way of making sure any new or old snow stays on the glacier .
ski holidays
chocksaway wrote:
Thanks everybody.
@turbosmurf, Yeah, I'll take you on a mystery tour - you can show me how to do bumps properly!

Look forward to it - have a great summer everyone.
snow report
@chocksaway, safe travels. Come over and see us sometime during the summer.
ski holidays
Back at work today suffering from withdrawl after a week in Tignes. What a week! Great weather! Great Snow! Great time. Chock's weather updates were awesome!
snow conditions
Strikes again tomorrow; out of interest, how badly affected were the navettes and the lifts on previous strike days? Don't want to be left in the lurch with getting youngest to ski school from VC down to Lac tomorrow am in particular!

Zenbus app is in hand!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy