Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland Snow Reports and Updates - 2022-23

Poster: A snowHead
@Brainfart92, lots of snow, but quickly followed by lots of rain. I'm not sure there'll be a net gain over the next week, except maybe at the very tops of the ski areas.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
denfinella wrote:
@Brainfart92, lots of snow, but quickly followed by lots of rain. I'm not sure there'll be a net gain over the next week, except maybe at the very tops of the ski areas.

Well, it looks like the forecast rain has arrived and with no significant snow forecast in the near future conditions are not looking favourable for the foreseeable.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bit of snow up north last night, Glencoe looks like its holding up reasonably ok (although lower runs still unuseable).

Glenshee, it looks like the preceipitation arrived as rain, webcams a bit sad today.......
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
All of the Scottish ski areas due some fresh snow tonight, the warm temperatures of the last week and 100mph+ winds of the last 24 hours have not been kind to the Lecht or Glenshee but the higher hills had a dusting last night too.

Glencoe looks like the best best although they are running the glencoe gathering tomorrow, with a park built on the sledging slope!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Glencoe done for the time being. CairnGorm probably just a couple of runs + Traverse left.

Steadily losing the remaining base with potentially sustained period of high pressure coming up. If you could reorganise this seasons weather events in a different oder it could have been a jackpot half term!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We had a nice drop for sledging in the village on Sat morning, on the golf course where I’d played on the Wednesday in sunshine Eh oh!Eh oh! ️ Gone mostly by Sunday.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Snowsport Scotland have just cancelled this weekends boardercross racing at Glenshee due to lack of snow.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yeah it's properly dire I'm afraid.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
Yeah it's properly dire I'm afraid
Could be a repeat of the Scottish season a few years back, where no lifts turned in March due to lack of snow Confused All is not lost though - the snow returned in April that year.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
Yeah it's properly dire I'm afraid
Could be a repeat of the Scottish season a few years back, where no lifts turned in March due to lack of snow Confused All is not lost though - the snow returned in April that year.

We may get there, though the weather forum chat is more akin to 2013, while on CairnGorm the snow situation is more 2008 than 2012 for now.

However, the most recent trend is to push meaningful precipitation further away. The 18z GFS would deliver nothing more than a dusting to the ski areas by 12th March! Sad
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I can take the despair, it's the hope I can't stand!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Weather is expected to turn very cold in Scottish ski resorts over the next week. If no snowfall, at least some snow making and spreading can occur on lower slopes.

March is usually the best month to ski due to longer days, sunshine higher in sky.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I saw Glenshee update that indicated this weekend was their penultimate one operating this season, interesting if the snow finally arrives.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
orange wrote:
I saw Glenshee update that indicated this weekend was their penultimate one operating this season, interesting if the snow finally arrives.

If that's the case, they can't have made any real money this season.

At least Coe is a stopoff point in the WHW for summer walkers and has the MTB as well.

Not great.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
orange wrote:

Only if there is no meaningful natural snowfall. With February holidays gone, while people will jump at the chance to get even a short run in early season, by mid March the interest in hitting the Plastic Slope Poma run on machine made snow with nothing else on offer will probably have pretty much evaporated.

However, the season will have been considerably better than it would have been without the snow factory, but once March is gone, if there is no meaningful base then realistically only the Lecht and CairnGorm can come back from that due to the potential for big convective snowfalls coming in from the Moray Firth in cold Northerly outbreaks in spring.

Elsewhere even if the season is done at Glencoe, which is unlikely but not impossible, it would not even be close to the worst season in terms of skier days. It would be the earliest ever finish, by just 1 day - last lift served skiing was on Sat 18th Feb. There have been years that Glencoe hadn't even opened by that date !
snow conditions
Snow level 200m, 35cm fresh at top, 14cm at base reported by Cairngorm, and they’ve fixed the webcams, which look all white. Currently-11C. But it’s still mid station stops on the funicular while they make snow on the runs to base. Anyone got any more information to suggest it would be worth the trip this weekend? Lecht also much whiter with snow gates shut. Nowhere else has much snow which might make it busier Skullie
snow conditions
Quote:
Anyone got any more information to suggest it would be worth the trip this weekend?
It's sliding on snow, with about 400m vertical. Maybe no good to those who don't get out of bed for less than 250km of piste - but worth a trip in my book! wink
ski holidays
@mountainaddict, only “decent intermediates” need 250km plus of piste. For them, anywhere with less is “pants”. But I guess less Km of piste is ok if you are of a lower standard.
ski holidays
Fair point, well made @zikomo Laughing

'Decent intermediate' remains a distant aspiration...so Cairngorm top to middle station remains a great day out wink
latest report
It’s more the queues for the Funicular doing mid way stops that worries me TBH. Last time I went to CG we walked to the summit (me in alpine boots) to ski the Cas head wall as we were waiting for 3 trains each time we got to the bottom, despite it running non stop. Swore never to go again, for the third time!
latest report
@what...snow, keep an eye on the other resorts & decide Friday imho
ski holidays
Would not touch Cairngorm with a barge pole. Keep an eyes on the others and see what shakes is my advice
latest report
Wish I could but my son has to decide if he’s playing for his football team this weekend, the 1sts have an FA Vase quarter final that is all ticket and the wife’s booked a house viewing! Decision made, going to hope for more snow and plan for 2 weeks time. Unfortunately the following weekend is out, that one looks good for better snow than now but the wind speeds this week are about as good as it gets.
snow report
Can easily ski to the Daylodge, so full Cas side vertical in play.

Think HIE might have a weather control computer given the lack of snow elsewhere.

The snow making claim is outrageous, they have 1 gun firing instead of the snow factory by the magic carpets, plus one blowing snow onto the mid station queuing area! 2 out of 15! Being seen to do something rather than actually doing something!
snow conditions
It certainly looked like you could ski to the day lodge on the webcams. You wouldn’t be suggesting Cairngorm are deliberately downplaying the number of runs open? Again! Looks like it’s going to be sunny tomorrow too.
latest report
FFS, Glencoe looks like making the case for significant snow making! Week of freeze your baws off weather, followed by another week of freezeing weather in the forecast. With the only precipitation of note now looking like being a liquid downpour on Sunday between two freezing weeks! rolling eyes

Really couldn’t make this season up, reorganise it’s weather events just slightly and we’d have had an absolute classic.
snow conditions
Thought I'd check out the Glenshee conditions as it's rude not to. Still dire. Sad
latest report
So do we "Cairngorm disapprovers " now compromise our moral standards and go the for a slide......?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
scottishandy wrote:
So do we "Cairngorm disapprovers " now compromise our moral standards and go the for a slide......?

Unless more tickets are released your mind is made up as Saturday is currently showing 0 left! Sunday, wouldn’t commit yet!
ski holidays
Top to bottom skiing at Cairngorm today. Slightly sticky snow, good cover on piste with some sharks off piste. Long queues at peak times. Outlook isnt looking too brilliant going forward but hopefully some of it sticks around!
snow report
Top to bottom skiing at Cairngorm today. Slightly sticky snow, good cover on piste with some sharks off piste. Long queues at peak times. Outlook isnt looking too brilliant going forward but hopefully some of it sticks around!
snow report

http://youtube.com/v/HB5rN0rbIVs

‘Easy’ gulley Aonach Mor. Cool
snow report
Peter S wrote:
http://youtube.com/v/HB5rN0rbIVs

‘Easy’ gulley Aonach Mor. Cool

Nice video, imagine if there were ski lifts there. Oh wait! rolling eyes
snow conditions
hmm...anyone think the Glencoe snow will last until Wednesday (only chance I can get up there!) for some late season touring?

Forecast appears to be dry and sunny all next week, this one liner (from Facebook)

Some impressive drifts (up to 2m in places) and for ski tourers you can connect a route from the summit to the top of the Access Chair.

snow report
@kitenski, there will be patches but a lot of the cover is cosmetic. I was looking at the webcams today for hillwalking purposes and they are significantly less snowy now the sun's out, even compared to a couple of hours ago during the last heavy snow shower.

I would guess that by next week you could still get a reasonable run down some of the Main Basin / Spring Run etc., but the plateau will be more or less snowless.
snow report
Hoping there may still be snow for some touring in the Cairngorms late April - lee slopes are probably still loaded whereas the visible slopes from valley level are bare.

Ought to be more snow to play in than any local snowdome anyways Toofy Grin

The link below gives a satellite image from 9 April (hopefully updated shortly)...
The big white patch lower left of central is backside of Ben Macdui.
Mid upper-left is Coire Domhain (under Cairn Lochan) ... The end of lift system just visible at the top of image

https://apps.sentinel-hub.com/sentinel-playground/?source=S2&lat=57.09554920377722&lng=-3.66125446039473&zoom=13&preset=1-NATURAL-COLOR&layers=B01,B02,B03&maxcc=99.98&gain=1.0&gamma=1.0&time=2022-10-01%7C2023-04-09&atmFilter=&showDates=false
snow conditions
^Looking at the ski area, if you believe the lower slopes are doomed like CMSL perpetually claim, you can clearly see that it is insane that the Maquis Well area hasn’t been lift served!
ski holidays
haggishunter wrote:
... you can clearly see that it is insane that the Maquis Well area hasn’t been lift served!
Probably environmentalist objections - I recall when I first skid Cairngorm (in 1979, aaaagh Shocked ) there was a big debate on extending into Sneachda, which was blocked by environmental concerns.

Seemed a great shame at the time, but probably on balance quite glad now as I prefer getting away from the lift systems if I'm skiing (touring) in Scotland
ski holidays
geoffers wrote:
haggishunter wrote:
... you can clearly see that it is insane that the Maquis Well area hasn’t been lift served!
Probably environmentalist objections - I recall when I first skid Cairngorm (in 1979, aaaagh Shocked ) there was a big debate on extending into Sneachda, which was blocked by environmental concerns.

Seemed a great shame at the time, but probably on balance quite glad now as I prefer getting away from the lift systems if I'm skiing (touring) in Scotland

The Marquis Well area is officially part of the ski area and within the ski patrol boundary. Planning permission for a Marquis Well Tow was granted as part of the original funicular application.
latest report
We used to have a piste map circa 1969(?) which showed a Marquis well tbar as a projected lift. Not sure if it had been permitted or not. They may have had concerns at that elevation about skiers getting disoriented and ending up over the back!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy