Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone spent Chrismas in Ischgl?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

We are thinking about booking somewhere in Ischgl for Christmas week this year, and wondered if anyone else has done the same?

Our main questions are around food... We don't really want to cook our own Christmas dinner, so will there be options? I believe Austria's Christmas is on the 24th Dec, and also I'm sure the food traditions are different.

Any recommendations for restaurants/hotels we could try?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Perhaps they'll have Christmas Schnitzel? Wink

Welcome to snowHeads @one_deal snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Stollen, generally.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Personally I'm quite partial to a bit of lebkuchen at Christmas.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
In German speaking countries "Christmas" is generally only the evening of the 24th, even then most bars & restaurants will be open. Turkey is pretty much unknown (at least in the roast version popular in the UK), if there is a festive meal it would be Goose. Most time things would revolve around carol singing near a big tree in a village (or whatever) square with Glühwein, Stollen etc. I would assume the tourist office in Ischgl would organise something along those lines. My experience in Ischgl is that most people eat in their hotels, there are not so many restaurants to eat out. There is the pizzeria near the church and a couple of traditional "Stuberl" but it is mostly bars of one sort or another.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@munich_irish, Ischgl is nowadays known as one of the foremost ‘gourmet’ skiresorts in Austria.
Plenty of high rated Gault&Millau restaurants.
But definitely no turkey there either, indeed
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Langerzug, the absence of Russian visitors will hopefully bring about a reduction in the number of the champagne bars & Michelin stars. Nothing wrong with "Schnitzel mit Pommes" & beer Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
munich_irish wrote:
@Langerzug, the absence of Russian visitors will hopefully bring about a reduction in the number of the champagne bars & Michelin stars. Nothing wrong with "Schnitzel mit Pommes" & beer Very Happy

you don't have apfelstrudel with it?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@munich_irish, Russians are declining for some years already. And better restaurants increasing…

But lets see what this winter brings….
bookingrates are down, down, down. Stammgäste passing for this season due to exorbitant price rise, everywhere….
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
munich_irish wrote:
My experience in Ischgl is that most people eat in their hotels, there are not so many restaurants to eat out. There is the pizzeria near the church and a couple of traditional "Stuberl" but it is mostly bars of one sort or another.

Umm, I've done Ischgl many times and never stayed in a hotel with evening meals/never had trouble finding somewhere to eat post-apres. From memory (so missing some we'd have tried once and rejected) working from the SW of town; the Grill alm steak place is usually good, the pizza place above the Kuhsall is very good (to the point you'll probably need to book), the Dorf Cafe hidden up the side of the building next to the Burger King is always excellent, one (or more) of the restaurants in the little area by the Kebap place were reasonable (but none stand-out enough to remember which one/ones), there's a restaurant linked to one of the hotels up on the hill by the church that was good and had the only salad bar worth picking from (but found on an aimless, drunken wander), also up there is afe Salner (though better for post-ski cake), and last but not least is the Kitzloch (where we tend to apres/bar hang/eat (not ALWAYS the ribs) every other night - though not been back since it changed hands just as Covid struck). And that's just from a group who's been enough times to get stuck in ruts of "It's Wednesday so XXX restaurant night".

Oh, but avoid the Yscla - they talk a good talk but were really not.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Last time I tried skiing there at Christmas ( and NY to be fair)
All accommodation was sold out and we stayed up the valley in Galtur.
Food was OK but it was a long time ago about 30 years I think.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Last time I was in Ischgl I stayed at the Jaegerhof, great hotel right opposite the lift that goes down into the pedestrian tunnel between the centre and the gondola stations. It had a separate restaurant for non-residents that looked good and was always busy. Have a look at https://www.jaegerhof-ischgl.at/en/culinary/index.html
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Welcome to Snowheads @one_deal,
Christmas at Ischgl .. I've never been there at Christmas.

In fact the last time I went there Tina Turner was going to be playing at The Idalp Joch at the end of the season. Must have been back in the 90's.
From memory there were only two bars in town then.

You can nip over the other side of the hill and you're in Switzerland, you can top up on Toblerone there.
I bought my daughter a swatch down there.

One important point ....if you have any children you had better let Santa know your change of address.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sorry to reopen a thread (although I hope it’s better to reopen than start a new one called the same thing?!)

Interested in how Christmas at Ischgl went as I am thinking about it for this year. If the snow or weather’s bad, are there things to do in the town or nearby on a train we could do instead? We’ll have an 11 year old with us so thinking a pool or ice rink etc rather than a town to wander round.

I had looked at Obergurgl, but was indecisive and the price has since shot up by £1500!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Check out https://www.ischgl.com/en/Enjoy/Silvretta-Spa - but worth remembering:
a) A lot of 'wellness' stuff will be very germanic, so things like saunas will be sans-swimsuits.
b) Ischgl tends to be an adult resort, so a lot if the culture is based around drinking/there can be a lot of (happy) drink people around. Fine for some children but others could find it intimidating, and less focused on families than a lot of other resorts.
ski holidays
I just spotted the title of this post and jumped in to say my son in lawn and family went there last Christmas .. to find its my son in lawn's post rolling eyes And I've already posted on it as well.

I do remember it was not ideal for them, a whole lot of stress trying to find a restaurant for the eveings.
I know they said if they went again, they would have to go "half board".
ski holidays
From when we went to Ischgl this year I found the extra cost of upgrading to half board was very small compared to the cost of the room so it was an easy decision.
latest report
@DrLawn, Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy