Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to go in French alps right now?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I want to go skiing for a couple of days, but my local ski resort (La Clusaz) is not in great shape for obvious reasons (I live close to Geneva)

Does anyone have a good overview of the status of various resorts within driving distance? Any resorts that are better than average?

I normally go to Val Thorens when the snow is bad low down, but I do not want to miss out if there are much better options!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Dan, welcome to snowheads. I am sure someone will be along shortly to answer your question, but you may want to ask Admin to change your user name. A bit too public etc
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:
I normally go to Val Thorens when the snow is bad low down, but I do not want to miss out if there are much better options!
From current reports, it seems that conditions are OK above 2,200m or so - so you'll want somewhere with a lot of connected skiing above that altitude - eg Val Thorens, Tignes/Val D'Isere - or maybe Les Arcs/La Plagne?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Matrix, indeed!!

@danderyd2004, We haven't bothered going up locally (Chamonix) as it looked so very busy so I have no direct experience other than saying that Courmayeur is a single sheet of ice. It was on Tuesday anyway. Webcams suggest Monterosa might be good? Verbier looks OK also?

And various chums appear to be having fun up around Avoriaz.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Southern Alps are good, they had phenomenal base and missed out on the torrential rains in the NW.
-Serre Chevalier
-Montgenevre
-Bardonecchia
-Gressoney

Apparently Haute Maurienne is reasonable too, Valmeinier Valloire and Val Cenis.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Video report from Dutch expat Rogier van Rijn. Lots of Dutch skiers now cancel in the Haute Savoie and go to the Hautes Alpes.
https://www.wintersport.nl/weblog/27/12/2022/live-waarschijnlijk-ligt-hier-de-beste-sneeuw-in-de-franse-alpen
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Onnem wrote:
Video report from Dutch expat Rogier van Rijn. Lots of Dutch skiers now cancel in the Haute Savoie and go to the Hautes Alpes.
https://www.wintersport.nl/weblog/27/12/2022/live-waarschijnlijk-ligt-hier-de-beste-sneeuw-in-de-franse-alpen

ooh that won't please the geezonaire crew, they already hate it when the French turn up.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
Video report from Dutch expat Rogier van Rijn.
Ideal for speakers of 10 languages like me @Onnem wink

Er, where is and what's he saying? Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Rogier emigrated from NL to a small village just below the resort of Puy Saint Vincent about 15 years ago. He lives there with his french wife Sandra who is ski instructor, and makes a living off photo and video reports about offpiste skiing, mountain climbing etcetera.

PSV has a special microclimate giving lots and lots of cold very dry snow, AND lots of sun.

According to Rogier, conditions in PSV and surroundings are the best in the French Alps.

PSV is about 15 km west of Briancon.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for all the good comments ... looks like PSV and/or Serre Chevalier are the best bets! @Matrix, thanks for advice, I do not know why it is showing the registration email instead of user name??? but I will ask admin to sort it Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
if you are close to Geneva, then far easier to go thru the tunnel and down the Aosta valley / Monterosa - you want to be heading South and East for least rain effects of last week.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Whats Saalbach like right now?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Onnem, that video doesn't look that great, impression it gives me is hard packed artificial snow. @danderyd2004, not convinced from that that PSV is indeed the best option.

@t44tomo, this. Although the tunnel's pretty busy, must be said.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:
@Onnem, that video doesn't look that great, impression it gives me is hard packed artificial snow. @danderyd2004, not convinced from that that PSV is indeed the best option.

Got to be better than Holland though.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I live just up the valley from Rogier, and can confirm what he said PSV & Serre Che had good snow before Christmas and have missed the rain, it has warmed up and had some very hot days, but the snow pack is holding well. The off piste and touring is more like spring now waiting for it to transform, there is 20-30c, forecast over the next few days.
ski holidays
Yes, snow is firm, but grippy.
But there's an enormous difference between NW and SE france.
I like it better when there is not just a strip of toothpaste, but when the mountains themselves look wintry too.

Below first a picture from Le Grand Bornand (Haute Savoie).
The second is from Val Cenis.

ski holidays
Val thorens is the place to be, avoid the low resorts like Portes du Soleil..
snow conditions
davidof wrote:
under a new name wrote:

Got to be better than Holland though.

Well, we do have the indoor slope at Landgraaf near Maastricht. Host for worldcup slalom. With a 6 seater chair, 650m slope and 140m height difference.

http://youtube.com/v/BIi1vUOopm0
snow report
There is a Dutch website that shows you the top 50 snow depths... I'm sure there's an English one somewhere, but this is the one I use when I want to decide which place has the best conditions:

https://www.sneeuwhoogte.nl/top50/sneeuwhoogte
ski holidays
Try this

https://www.skiresort.info/snow-reports/sorted/valley-snow-depths/
snow report
Yes, you can use those figures provided by the tourist offices...

But it's not so difficult.

Haute Savoie is bad. Only the very highest resorts (Avoriaz, Flaine) are ok. But overrun because tourists from lower resorts need to go there.

Savoie is a bit better because those mega resorts are high. But relative to other winters, far far under average. No choice there but to go to the mega resorts, lower (eg Valmorel) really bad

Haute Maurienne is reasonably good. Valmeinier 80% open, Val Cenis almost 100%.

Alpe d'huez and L2A reasonable.

Everything south of Alpe d'huez is good. Serre Chevalier, Montgenevre etc.

Valle d'Aosta also good conditions. Gressoney, Champoluc, Cervinia. La Thuile and especially Courmayeur, not so good, boilerplate.
snow report
@Onnem, seems like a good summary, mirrors what I've read / heard.
snow report
@Sarny, Saalbach is okay. I’ve been here since 11th December, and the piste skiing has been pretty good. All links and valley runs are open. Snow cannons are currently running down to village level.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy