Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best French Alps area for Greens

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
endoman wrote:
Sounds like some confidence boosting lessons are the order of the day. Conditions play a huge factor in run difficulty and an instructor will factor that in.

Yes you're right, some lessons are in order. We had a great lesson with John from new gen, really helped with my wifes confidence but then she really dipped again after that. Think several lessons might be good this year
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PeakyB wrote:
@Northernsoul65, as well as supporting the comments above about instruction, I'd also suggest not focusing too much on runs graded 'green'.
A base with plenty of less busy, reasonably wide, not too steep blue graded runs are just as (if not more) likely to help Mrs NS to build confidence.

I think you were based in Bourg St Maurice when you skied Les Arcs, so would have started from and returned to Arc 1600 each afternoon; not ideal for beginners or nervous intermediates.
In Les Arcs, an 1800 or Plan Peisey base might have suited better. My point is, that the detail of where you stay and begin/end your skiing each day is important.

I'm a confident enough and experienced skier but still switch to high alert on some runs graded green in Val D'Isere, to minimise the increased risk of collisions. I've also been known to tense up a little on those narrow green paths, winding down the mountain, with a fall off into the forest on one side, rocks on the other, icy, Oh! There's a beginner class just ahead. Smile

Considering balancing both of your needs, along with your preference to go high, one of the bases in the La Plagne area might suit. Snow sure, lots of ski in/out accommodation, plenty of relatively easy cruisy blue runs, as well as more demanding blues and reds for you. A subjective opinion, not pretty architecture. Can also get crowded at peak times. Not much tree skiing for poor visibility weather.

Timing of your trip could be important. First week of March generally much busier and more expensive than mid March. French school winter holidays continue through first week of March.

Plenty of places in Austria, Italy, etc that would work better first week of March than the big French circuits.

Brilliant advice, much appreciated.
Yes we were based in Bourg Saint Maurice last year and my wife did struggle with the return on the last blue run to arc 1600.
I think we'll take a good look at La Plagne.
I think you're right, she may well cope best on cruisy wide blue runs, those without any sections that are suddenly much steeper.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
j b wrote:
I'm with @PeakyB. The colour coding can be deceptive, don't obsess about finding runs labelled green rather than blue but instead you may need a quick reconnoitre (maybe while your wife is having a lesson) to choose runs which are wide enough to allow a cautious skier to choose her route. Greens are more likely to be those narrow tracks.

The other thing to beware of is the odd blue run that has a short steep section that could easily have been graded red. That seems quite common, resorts seem to work on the basis when grading runs that they need blue run connections between different skiing areas and will grade accordingly. (To be fair, they sometimes ensure those steep sections are wider than they would be on a red run which does seem less daunting to a cautious skier).

Very good points, thanks. She has definitely enjoyed very wide cruisy blue runs in the past, those without any sudden steep bits thrown in. This next trip, if we're going to have any more, needs to just be a massive confidence boost for her. Definitely some lessons as well as sussing out the best area, base, and time to go
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
andy'n'netty wrote:
@Northernsoul65, Alpes D'Huez or St Francois Langchamp if you want big areas of greens and easy blues to progress to.
But why France?
For a beginner Austria or Italy are much less intimidating than any moonscape high French mega resort. Pretty tree lined runs and quaint villages may be a way to go?

We drove last time (we live in Lewes, a stones throw from Newhaven-Dieppe ferry) and had a stop over on the way down and back, making that a part of the hols, so hence French Alps. However, with petrol prices, that may not be the way to travel this year!
Any specific resort recommendations for Austria or Italy?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PeakyB wrote:
@Northernsoul65, what you think of it so far?

Advice has been top!! Really appreciate everyone's thoughts and advice and I've been reading it all out to Mrs NS this morning. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Northernsoul65, obviously you will have to weigh up the relative expenses for driving versus plane/train (and those prices have been increasing too) but one benefit of driving is it does open up possibilities like Les Saisies or St Francois Longchamp - or plenty of other medium sized resorts not used by tour operators.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Northernsoul65 wrote:
j b wrote:
I'm with @PeakyB. The colour coding can be deceptive, don't obsess about finding runs labelled green rather than blue but instead you may need a quick reconnoitre (maybe while your wife is having a lesson) to choose runs which are wide enough to allow a cautious skier to choose her route. Greens are more likely to be those narrow tracks.

The other thing to beware of is the odd blue run that has a short steep section that could easily have been graded red. That seems quite common, resorts seem to work on the basis when grading runs that they need blue run connections between different skiing areas and will grade accordingly. (To be fair, they sometimes ensure those steep sections are wider than they would be on a red run which does seem less daunting to a cautious skier).

Very good points, thanks. She has definitely enjoyed very wide cruisy blue runs in the past, those without any sudden steep bits thrown in. This next trip, if we're going to have any more, needs to just be a massive confidence boost for her. Definitely some lessons as well as sussing out the best area, base, and time to go

Yes agreed, the every run will have a number of factors which dictate how easy it is - colour is one of them (so obviously shouldn't be totally discarded) but should be factored in with other local knowledge - width, traffic, aspect/time of day etc. Once you get a resort in mind then someone here will be able to give you a rough rundown on which ones to tackle in order.

For example, having been to Val Thorens I'd confidently be able to give a list of which runs to tackle first, and it wouldn't just be a list of all the greens (for the reasons given above).

(PS not advocating VT in any way, just using it as an example)
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Northernsoul65,
Quote:

Advice has been top!! Really appreciate everyone's thoughts and advice and I've been reading it all out to Mrs NS this morning.

Is she asleep yet? Eyes glazed over? Brainwashed? Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Northernsoul65,
Quote:

Any specific resort recommendations for Austria or Italy?

Italy - Colfosco, with adjacent Corvara a good shout, if going 1st week of March. Also certain locations in Val di Fassa might suit. Endless skiing in and around Sella Ronda for you, starting from those bases.

Austria - Ellmau, Westendorf, Kaprun, Lech are possibilities. All with links to more challenging terrain.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@PeakyB,
Thanks, much appreciated.
Mrs NS pretty much had enough of ski talk this morning, given we're currently on holiday in the south of Italy!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just seen this thread. I’m a massive fan of France and the major resorts.
Personally 3V and corcheval 1850 for the easy greens. Or meribel.
We stayed in La Tania but had some amazing relaxing greens around the resort.

Or Alpes du heuz was brilliant for nervous children and adults who like to cover some ground. Also way cheaper
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Crest Volland or somewhere in Maurienne valley. Valmeinir/Valloire has easy runs where reds are really blues - or really short reds for confidence building. Long greens & blues + a bowl area. All designed for families/people of all levels to be able to meet up easily & not having to be far from each other.
Bardonechia has lots of blues, but is a drag to get around (as in lifts - not many chairs). However, easy transfers from Turin which is a well served airport.
Westerndorf area for Austria as it is simple to get to with public transport from the airport - which means cheap!

IMO it is better to go to a small resort as costs can be less (saving 100 euro each on lift pass for example), which can be used for private lessons.

Be aware, lots of blues/greens may mountain roads covered in snow - so could be flat & narrow. That can have it’s own issues when approaching ‘traffic’ or people whizzing by & not giving any care towards nervous people.

There is always Les Deux Alpes. Lots of wide blues at the top of the glacier if you dont mind being dragged up the mountain. Cruising blues coming down as well.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mjit wrote:
As a few others have said Alpe D'Huez would be perfect. Probably 75% of the bowl right above the resort is green and serviced by ~10 lifts so outside the morning/lunch time rushes there's plentry of space for everyone to spread out over.

Not the most interesting/challenging place for advanced skiers but great for beginners.

I don't agree with this at all - ADH is a great all rounder too with great off piste in Auris and above Villards and Vaujany that doesn't get skied out too quickly and there are some great challenges outside the main bowl and high up in the bowl. There are few better progression resorts anywhere
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy