Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria: Zillertal 2022/23

Poster: A snowHead
Boot to knee deep powder today up at Hintertux. Pistes very soft due to the new snow, so cut up pretty quickly.

We also had a blue sky and sun, so I can now say i've actually seen the area, and where i've been skiing!

Great day up there today.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hochfügen and Hochzillertal have been open for a couple of weeks now. The season started a bit scratchy with a high proportion of man-made snow, then it snowed. The pistes are in great condition at the moment. It's fairly quiet so some of the pistes that don't normally get a lot of traffic are still closed while they make snow on them. The man-made snow makes a super durable base which helps it last longer into spring.
I've just had a group doing a 3 day beginner freeride course. The new snow that we had was pretty light and fluffy but there wasn't much of a base under it so it was a bit of a challenge to find places to ski off piste. What we found varied from amazing to "interesting" Toofy Grin
That snow is starting to settle and the forecast is for more in the next few days so it's all looking quite hopeful at the moment Smile
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
"varied from amazing to Intersting" sounds like a normal day in the back country
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Good to hear @SaraJ, I think we will stick to pistes mainly given “interesting” is probably best avoided early season. Also avalanche risk looks high currently at altitude in some areas.

Does anyone have a view on which of the Zillertal areas will be quietest on Boxing Day? My experience of Kaltenbach in the past, was that it was heaving due to day trippers.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Matrix, hmmm tricky to know I’d have said Kaltenbach myself but maybe try Zell am Ziller this time?

Warmer today than the last few days which have been very cold, pistes are in excellent condition, there is some fluffy cold snow off piste but like @SaraJ mentioned it’s a bit thin underneath at the moment where shrubs and rocks come bare when the snow is scuffed off.
Should be better once the next lot of snow comes.

No roast chicken in the Marenalm today, just wings. There was roast chicken yesterday and there might be tomorrow, but not today.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Went over to Fugen this morning. Very quiet which is probably normal, not many people around. Nice freshly groomed pistes.

Does anyone know what is happening with the proposed link from Fugen to HochFugen? It shows on some piste maps as a ‘PROJEKT’
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Matrix, Kaltenbach will never be the quietest area in Zillertal! It's too easy to get to and park.
Gerlosstein would probably be the quietest area, although there's not much there.

@VolklAttivaS5, The last I heard about the link was that they were still waiting for various permissions. Every so often it gets talked about and then the fuss dies down again.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Heads up to anyone flying with Lufthansa to and from Munich to get to the Zillertal in the next few weeks.
I had delayed baggage on the way out including skis which took a few days to arrive and they didn’t load the baggage on the way home either!

Admittedly considering the number of flights I’ve taken over the last 20 years this is the 3rd flight/leg where it’s happened but I couldn’t believe they did it both ways. So put as much in your hand luggage as you can in case it happens to you. I used Apple Air Tags which helped a lot actually.

I’m not sure what is going on because both dates were not during the baggage handler strikes which I don’t think went ahead anyway.
In Heathrow today there were loads of bags with RUSH on them and next to me were some people from Canada with no bags. Seems to be happening all over. Munich Airport was very very quiet today despite it being the Tuesday before Christmas so I’m not sure what’s going wrong with the baggage.
Brace yourselves!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Flew to Munich last Saturday morning at 06:35 with Lufthansa. T2 seemed chaotic at 5AM with people queuing everywhere in the terminal. The hold bags we checked in normally turned up ok but the skis went missing and still haven't turned up here or, apparently, arrived in Munich.....
Air travel seems not to be doing very well at the moment. BA lost my skis two weeks ago flying to Geneva. Fortunately, I pack most things in hand luggage.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Klamm Franzer, skis lost/delayed twice in a fortnight!

Bit of thread drift here but I know my luggage is at Heathrow now from the Apple Air Tags. Turned up on the next flight which was 2 hours 40 mins later than mine. But as mine set off almost an hour late that made 1 hour 40 mins difference as the second one departed on time. So why not load the bleeding bags on the right one! It’s madness paying for a taxi/delivery driver to bring my luggage to my house when they could have just loaded it to start with.
Just don’t understand how it can be so disorganised.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In other news the pistes are in great condition, few stones visible in places but overall great. It warmed up a lot yesterday to about +7C which made things a bit softer.
Good luck to anyone travelling over the coming weeks.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There was more snow than expected last night in Mayrhofen, with the freezing level ~2100m. There was maybe 8 to 10 cm of fresh, and we had a great day mostly lapping the Wanglspitz chair and skiing either side of the edges of the pistes.

It's raining a bit in town now, so there may be a bit more snow to find tomorrow. Overall the thaw part of the freeze-thaw cycle is steadily winning day by day, but snow cover on the pistes is still good.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Klamm Franzer wrote:
Flew to Munich last Saturday morning at 06:35 with Lufthansa. T2 seemed chaotic at 5AM with people queuing everywhere in the terminal. The hold bags we checked in normally turned up ok but the skis went missing and still haven't turned up here or, apparently, arrived in Munich.....
Air travel seems not to be doing very well at the moment. BA lost my skis two weeks ago flying to Geneva. Fortunately, I pack most things in hand luggage.

Last spring my skis missed flight to Salzburg so went LHR>Vienna>Frankfurt>Salzburg as they didn’t realise that there are no Vienna>Salzburg flights. Got all this info from the online logging system, but have since bought Apple Tags
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@viv, thanks for the update. Bergfex showing more snow this week but a couple of warm days. Warmest. Icing day and mother spell of warm temps at Ny. Also some pretty cold days! We will be there for a few days before NY so hope pistes hold up well.

On the map very few blacks open yet and nothing off the Katzenmoos lift. Must be down to lack of snow cover on the steep?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
They closed the link to Gerlos earlier this week and it’s still closed. That was where I saw the stones getting scuffed up
snow report
@VolklAttivaS5, that’s a real shame
snow conditions
Matrix wrote:
@VolklAttivaS5, that’s a real shame

It is. I’m back home now so it didn’t affect me but it’s a shame for the Christmas people.
snow report
Matrix, it's difficult to tell if Katzenmoos is in a state to open or not. I can't see anything that would obviously stop it opening, but I don't know the lift.

Re other blacks, it looks to me like 34 and 56 have enough snow cover, and they're probably saving them till Christmas week - i.e. probably tomorrow
snow conditions
@viv, always seems to be last open. The black run is south facing and no permanent snow making. But the red through the trees is normally open by now.

Snowing on the cameras at Penken.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 24-12-22 10:22; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:

Bit of thread drift here but I know my luggage is at Heathrow now from the Apple Air Tags. Turned up on the next flight which was 2 hours 40 mins later than mine. But as mine set off almost an hour late that made 1 hour 40 mins difference as the second one departed on time. So why not load the bleeding bags on the right one! It’s madness paying for a taxi/delivery driver to bring my luggage to my house when they could have just loaded it to start with.

Must be super annoying! Re. the last part, apparently 11% of the German population is sick atm, so could well be down to personnel issues.
snow report
clarky999 wrote:
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:

Must be super annoying! Re. the last part, apparently 11% of the German population is sick atm, so could well be down to personnel issues.

Could be yes
I know a lot of people locally here have said they’ve had one hell of a cold/flu which wasn’t Covid lately.
Bag arrived last night and skis are coming this afternoon so I got off lightly.
Apparently there has been no luggage loaded on any Lufthansa flights to and from Munich for days and days.
I’m just glad I’ve got the stuff ready for the next trip. Washing machine is on as I type!
snow report
They are opening the Gerlos link again tomorrow just saw it on FB
snow conditions
@VolklAttivaS5, awesome! Was there much snow overnight?
snow report
Matrix wrote:
@VolklAttivaS5, awesome! Was there much snow overnight?

I don’t know sorry it didn’t say but if you have a look at the Zillertal Arena website it might tell you on there
snow conditions
The forecast for today was rain in Hochfügen, but it actually snowed all morning so we're happy about that Very Happy
latest report
@SaraJ, Very Happy
snow conditions
There was a little less new snow in Mayrhofen than the previous night, but still maybe 6cms last night. Snowline was a couple of hundred metres below the top of the PenkenBahn
snow report
First day on the pistes and we managed to find some quiet areas around the Mayrhofen area. We made an early start to get ahead of the crowds and from the Penken headed down to the Tux box and then down the 63, 64, 75 combo (why is 75 a red?) down to Eggalm. Pistes are fairly hard packed but in really good condition. No off piste to ski with loads of rocks etc showing through. Eggalm pistes also generally pretty good.

Managed to ski the Katzenmoos red run in the afternoon and a few of the runs around the Horberg (how good is the Mosel black run, love that piste). All the main pistes were very chopped up by the afternoon and pretty busy (no real waits for lifts though) with temps being 5-6 degrees today. Colder from tomorrow but new snow looks to be missing the Zillertal tonight.

I think this is the least snow I have seen here since 2016/2017 but that year we skied strips of white through green at the lower areas. Snow is present above 1700 metres on all aspects so it’s not bad at all.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Matrix, think 75 is a red as it can get icy as it goes through those trees?
Or maybe a bit bare/scratchy?

Yes 2016/2017 there was not a flake off piste if I remember over Xmas week but they did well to keep what they had going and Ahorn was open top to bottom!
snow report
@VolklAttivaS5, would have to be that. Although they have snow making there now. Remember it used to be a ski route?
snow conditions
@Matrix, I can’t remember it being a ski route but now you’ve said it rings a bell
snow conditions
Could be because of the road you cross half way down?
latest report
Ski route
snow report
Temps for this week going in the wrong direction.

snow report
@JimboS, balls.
snow conditions
JimboS wrote:
Temps for this week going in the wrong direction.

To put a positive spin on it... You want it to keep getting warmer until fresh snow is on the cards too. If it gets cold now without any fresh the pistes will just be re-frozen slush aka ice. Spring snow is much nicer than that!
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:

I know a lot of people locally here have said they’ve had one hell of a cold/flu which wasn’t Covid lately.

I picked it up whilst out there first week of December, and felt horrendous when I got home. I never tested for Covid on the basis that i'd only just finished testing negative 1 week before coming out, but it was a horrible bug.
latest report
@clarky999, Eh oh! . Better get some wider skis out!

Actually it was snowing quite heavily over at Konigsleiten today. On the Zell side maybe 1-2cm had fallen overnight so the pistes were v.nice first thing. By the time we skied back they were chopped up bumps which was great fun until we hit a patch of cloud!

Mayrhofen is heaving tonight, every restaurant full and apres in full swing.
snow report
Some long lift queues yesterday in Mayrhofen. School boy error skiing down to the Scheekar area instead of scooting around the bowl to other lifts. Late lunch to avoid the ski school traffic. Pistes mainly fine. Getting a bit icy.

Today in Kaltenbach. Glorious morning over to Fugen. Superb piste prep and snow up high keeping well. Once the top snow is scrubbed off if got very icy by mid afternoon. Mainly man made snow below 1800m, valley run was pure icing sugar (think snow dome) and ice. Would prefer spring slush honestly. Great day out though.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 29-12-22 16:47; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Had a look at the web cams yesterday up the Penken, looked very busy. Due out in just over a week so need to do a snow dance.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy