Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Touring in Norway questions

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking for advice on ski touring in Norway; looking to go for around a week this coming winter, and ideally looking for somewhere the two of us could have guiding/tuition for some of the time, but also have freedom to potter off and do our own thing.
We've both got most of the gear, some idea, and each have a few days touring experience.

Are there any good locations/guides/companies we should be looking at?

Many thanks!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Probably worth adding what your budget is, as makes a big difference. For example with unlimited funds I'd probably do some kind of boat trip around lyngen alps. Also what kind of terrain you are looking for?

nikolai schirmer YouTube is a good place for some inspiration, even if you don't want to ski such extreme lines (and hopefully you are a little less flippant about avy safety!)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The person to talk to is Steve Jones, British and Swiss mountain guide who resides in Leysin, Switzerland.
Steve is possibly the most experienced/prolific guide in things Norwegian. Not sure how many years he has guided from one of the yachts but could easily be 20 trips.
An e-mail and possibly a chat over the phone could provide you with all the information/ideas you need.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks both! We're looking to spend maybe ~£4-5k on the trip; the sailing/skiing approach sounds incredible though we're happy to look at something a bit simpler as well, and definitely not looking for any real steep skiing, more just to be out moving under our own steam. I'll get in touch with Steve and see if he's got any ideas as well
Also if we're far enough up to see the Northern Lights that would be a plus!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Fellmonkey, you could do worse than look at Lofoten Ski Lodge/Northern Alpine Guides - they run open groups so definitely potential to jump in there, and lots of mellow touring around to do your own thing too. https://lofotenskilodge.com

Have had some good northern lights shows up there over the years...

You can get a taste of Lofoten here: https://www.offpisteskiing.com/2019/04/
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ta for that offpisteskiing - looks fantastic.

Somewhere else to add to the burgeoning skiing bucket list Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwj3hNaF9rT6AhXagVwKHb46BtEQFnoECBUQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fpowderanddirt.no%2F%3Flang%3Den&usg=AOvVaw2zn4_ShHpOD5oMtKodu4fJ

Powder and Dirt .. See Morgan Lewis IASI
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@mountainaddict, I’d suggest adding it to the top of that list.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you base yourself in Tromso you've got endless possibilities.

Espen Nordahl's Ski Touring in Troms is an excellent guidebook to whet your appetite https://backcountrybooks.co/products/ski-touring-in-troms-espen-nordahl.

All of the tours are low altitude and in many respects, less technical than you would expect in the Alps. However, Arctic weather is fickle and this is when having a guide pays off for strategy and tactics.

I would definitely aim to travel a day earlier if you want to arrive with your equipment when the skiing is scheduled to start. It's quite a long trip and luggage delays almost the norm this season
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy