Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Nidecker Supermatic Step in bindings, the future?

Poster: A snowHead
These look genuinely good, keep thinking about them since I saw this video back in April. I think they'll sell well. Would you buy them? Certainly at the high end budget wise (£350-360) but similar to Clew pricing and you can use your current boots so possibly not as big a hit as a Burton setup.

http://youtube.com/v/g7-dF21nM68

Still early I suppose for 2023 stock in the shops, however Absolute Snow were selling on pre-orders but noticed they sold out and the page is gone now?!

If you're in a mixed group with impatient skiers could be great, otherwise you're still having to wait for other boarders. I quite like having a break at the top anyway but can be fun to one foot off and just go.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

If you're in a mixed group with impatient skiers could be great, otherwise you're still having to wait for other boarders.

Most semi competent borders can easily strap into regular bindings in less than 15secs. I mostly ride with skiers and they are never "waiting around" for me. I don't really buy the time saving argument, if it does exist it's pretty negligible. Maybe for beginners it's a bigger time saving, but most of them are probably going to want to sit down to put their bindings on anyway.

I don't dislike them though. The fact you can use them with any boot is a massive advantage over the burton step ons.

Would I buy a pair? Nope. Too expensive. I can get a pair of cartels for over £100 less and they are tried and tested. A lot of risk for no real upside for me personally.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
have tried step-ins, and nope as well.

as boarder2020 said, regular bindings is just 15 secs or less, and strapping in is kind of like that ritual before a run.
ended back with regular-type bindings pretty quick.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
They seem like the all encompassing solution for step on type bindings. Have to be most useful for domes or small resorts with short runs.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As a boarder...
Maybe a good solutions when i am 65 years old and i dont want to sit down or maybe it is not so convinient
otherwise i dont see any reason to give so much money for those bindings
and i am 47 , in a family where everyone is with ski

If the prices where normal e.g. max 250 Euro maybe...otherwise....

I have the gnu freedom, and i have to admit that sometimes takes more time as with the usual bindings....
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Agree with all the comments. Especially true about about domes and short runs. They are also heavy, something to bear in mind if you're flying (maybe it's just me but I struggle to be under 20/23kg as it is).

More reviews coming in from around the usual places now.

http://www.angrysnowboarder.com/the-2023-nidecker-supermatic-snowboard-binding-review/
https://snowboardingprofiles.com/nidecker-supermatic-binding-review

Although I skimped on my bindings I bought my first setup last year so not on the market, but in a few years would be interesting to see if they take off and if other brands copy and/or the price comes down. I think they are artificially high as it's a new innovation, there's no incentive to discount, as with any new tech the first adopters will pay. The general consensus here so far seems like people aren't hot on the idea though.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
So is it just me or are these just Flows with a slightly different method of locking the back down? I'm struggling to see how the saving of 2 maybe 3 seconds over a pair of Flows is worth £150 additional cost?

Laughing
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
meh, another complicated mechanism to have to clear of snow and ice... If I wanted to do that, I'd just go skiing. Looks like it'll have the same issues for me as Flows - that you can't get the straps firm to my liking without compromising the ability to get easily in and out of them.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I hate binding up.
It is not about the time it takes or people waiting. It is just the prehistoric feel to it all.
Like when skiers had to strap up decades ago! I bet back then skiers said the same thing as above about it dont take long!
So anything that moves binding up to being a thing of the past is progress and having your own choice of boot is great as not everyone has burton feet!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Personally can't see the point in having something more likely to fall apart just to save a few seconds.

Phantom slippers are the best solution to avoiding binding faff Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A new from of 'quick strap in' bindings comes along every few years, how many people you know regularly ride them ?

The mostly get retired to people's attics ......

Quote:
........ If you're in a mixed group with impatient skiers could be great .......

Just remind them of the last time you spent twenty minutes looking for an errant ski or pole
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
So I tried flows in the early days but decided they weren't for me. Didn't have forward lean control (they might do now?), I didn't like the high back sticking out when skating & using lifts, and snow underfoot made it tight to get into and a faff to adjust. I much preferred a conventional binding with toe cap

The super's seem to address all of that with their design. Easy to tweak with ratchets like a conventional binding if snow builds up or you want a looser or tighter fit, can use as a conventional binding if in deep pow or you've hiked and are strapping in on steep, and the high back has forward lean adjustment, and folds in for skating/lift use.

It looks like a great piece of engineering, the first real advance in bindings, I think, for many years (other than burton step on maybe) and the reviews of them in use look good. They won't suit someone needing lightweight performance or top stiffness of course, but otherwise look like they are on the money if you can stomach an extra £100 ish for the engineering that's gone into it.

Had myn delivered Monday, after ordering last week from Coyoti in South Wales. Cheers guys for quick delivery and a black friday discount. Thumbs up to you.

Yet to try them on snow, but they feel solid and well built. Snapping in is a dream even when dry and tightly cranked, and rocking forth and back on the carpet and torsionally twisting the board, they feel solid and they feel like my traditional bindings. Looking forward to trying them out and I just hope they respond as well and that they last.

I agree it doesn't take long to strap in and I've done it for the last 20+ years, but honestly knocking on a bit it gets a ball ache especially when following the kids lapping the park, or even on an average day hitting 25-35 lifts plus toilet, lunch, drinks stoppages. I just gets a bit a dull constantly bending over even if it is only 20 seconds per binding.

Good innovation in principle, hope it performs as well. The bit of extra weight on each foot doesn't bother me I only do the smaller kickers at best and as a % of my overall kitted out weight I don't expect I'll even notice it.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just got back from a week away with a pair of the Supermatics. Great bit of kit. I've previously had K2 cinch, Flows and variety of other bindings. Particular favourites were Burton Cartels.

Reason for getting these, im in my 40s and my family all ski so needed something quick and easy to get in and out of. I also looked at burton step-on but not in need of new boots so didnt see the point.

In terms of response, these basically behave like a normal binding i didnt notice any loss in response or feel. They are slightly heavier which I only really noticed when carrying the board. I would say maybe if you are on it all the time then you might notice a lack of response but I think majority of riders wont notice any difference to a regular binding. The heel cup is fixed so probably helps with this.

The mechanism is easy to set up. I strapped in as normal and then it was set. After this you need to adjust the centre strap but simple process and never touched it again. You can then adjust as you want but once I got it set it was comfortable and i never changed it again.

Only time I had an issue getting in was on a really cold day when then shinny base place got a bit iced up but just cleared it with my glove. I probably could have used a bit more force and it would have been fine.

Getting in is really quick and started to manage it on the move getting off some lifts which went into a slight drop before the run started which was great. i think with practise would be able to do this a lot more of the time. Certainly was ready as quick as the skiers once they had faffed with poles and gloves etc. Im sure there are some really quick people strapping in that are as quick but that takes some effort and practse these are as simple as getting your foot in right place and pushing down.

Negatives - the position to put your foot/boot in is un-natural. You sort of a point your tow with bent knee and kick in the same motion. Takes a little getting used to as certainly not a normal movement of the leg/foot. With the flow bindings you have a much larger opening but as these have a fixed heel cup you have to get past that though not too difficult.

I wasn't always sure the back was locked in as clicking noise from the mechanism isnt that loud so the first turn onto the heel edge was the first check. That said, it was always locked in.

Most reviews seem to concentrate on the strapping in but the getting out bit is also important as un strapping a traditional binding while not slow does take a little more time when a skier just glides into a lift station and the binding was super easy to get out of. one click of the lever as you lift your foot and you come out of the binding.

All in all really simple to use and very clever design, would highly recommend if you want something easy to use , quick to get in and out of and just forget about once and set.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@therock,
Thanks for the review Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for that review @therock. As an ageing female anything that will help with the bending over to do up my bindings, particularly after lunch, would be an asset. After 25 years I was considering learning to ski but I reckon these could be a game changer. The Burton ones didn't appeal as I have finally found the ideal boots, Salomons with an ankle lock system that stops my skinny feet from heel slipping, so the fact that I can keep using them sounds ideal. Big birthday coming up.. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Cheers for the review @Therock I have been looking at these as I will probably refresh my set up next season.

Snowboard Pro camp on youtube did an interesting comparison of these the Burton Step-In's and Traditional bindings of which the Supermatics came last. I still think they look awesome though.. I think these twenty something reviewers forget that you and your knees don't stay twenty forever! I'm turning 50 soon so the thought of click-in bindings is becoming VERY attractive.

I think much like the Burton's we can expect a better second iteration once more people start using them in the wild.
latest report
@Gazzza, nice review with all the detail, thanks!

I saw some burton step ons in the wild on a riding companion over NY and was very impressed with them. Everyone who says it only takes 15 secs to strap in must have better flexibility and balance than me cos I always have to stop, and if its not flatish, sit down to strap in.

Would be very handy for resort riding to just push off the lift one footed and then step on and set off Happy

Had experience of the clickers from years back which were terrible, so pleased to see some decent innovation in this space.
latest report
@Skeeezo, just watched the review video - interesting. More interesting is that I see he has posted a MUCH longer video (1hr+) now answering the questions commenting on the original comparison.

I've not tried Step-On or the Supermatics yet, but I have tried Flow and Cinch, and I got to say I had similar issues he spoke about in the review, about it can be awkward to get your boot out on release, and that to get a properly locked in feel, I had to get the ratchet bindings too tight to easily get in or out. I do have a work colleague who has bought a pair of the Supermatics, and he as only ridden them in fridges so far, and he hasn't had any issues and so far, he rates them. He is off to the mountains at HT so will be interested to see how he gets on.
ski holidays
I’ve been riding phantom slippers on spark dyno bindings the last few months.

Primarily for splitboarding but I’m liking them so much I’ve ended up using them on a couple of regular boards as well.

The step on convenience isn’t really something I’m too worried about but they have that and the response and comfort is really good. Easy to swap bindings between boards too. Wouldn’t be an ideal park setup though.

I get a lot of snarky comments on the lift about riding in “ski” boots, mostly from fully paid up jerrys, but they really do work well. Key equipment do a similar boot in Europe which is reasonably priced. The phantoms are quite expensive. Worth a look for the fruit boot curious, especially if touring or throwing crampons on your feet is of interest.
snow report
hang11 wrote:
I’ve been riding phantom slippers on spark dyno bindings the last few months.

Primarily for splitboarding but I’m liking them so much I’ve ended up using them on a couple of regular boards as well.

The step on convenience isn’t really something I’m too worried about but they have that and the response and comfort is really good. Easy to swap bindings between boards too. Wouldn’t be an ideal park setup though.

I get a lot of snarky comments on the lift about riding in “ski” boots, mostly from fully paid up jerrys, but they really do work well. Key equipment do a similar boot in Europe which is reasonably priced. The phantoms are quite expensive. Worth a look for the fruit boot curious, especially if touring or throwing crampons on your feet is of interest.

Isnt this just a different thing entirely though? Very specific niche, as opposed to the supermatics - an all mountain snowboard binding you can take anywhere.

Don’t see many hardbooters in the park, although im sure some nutter does it
ski holidays
I've been riding phantoms all over the place on my regular boards too. They were obviously developed for touring, but they ride great, especially for hard and fast charging. Like I say I don't really have an issue with strapping in, but I prefer riding the phantoms inbounds on regular boards these days, and see a few people doing the same. The response is better and they are really comfortable. Adjustable flex and being able to effectively disengage the high backs to get surfy is also great.

Probably not great in the park - they are actually quite soft - I would say my malamutes are a much stiffer boot, but they need a bit of a narrower stance.

So basically a hard boot setup does a lot of the stuff something like the supermatics do really well. Just off the radar for a lot of riders. I reckon that may start to change though.
snow report
silentice wrote:
If you're in a mixed group with impatient skiers could be great, otherwise you're still having to wait for other boarders.

I'll stick with traditional strap in Bindings because, well, I just like cranking my straps quite tight and feeling locked in. But if you have any of those impatient Skiers in your group, just remind them that if it wasn't for Snowboarding and the technology it's brought with it, they'd still be on old, long straight Skis and not having half as much fun as they are these days.
snow report
Im looking at one of these setups for next year , the constant bending down to the bindings put a lot of strain on my knee this year , being 52, i also like the idea of booting in straight of the lift as well .
latest report
therock wrote:
Just got back from a week away with a pair of the Supermatics. Great bit of kit. I've previously had K2 cinch, Flows and variety of other bindings. Particular favourites were Burton Cartels.

Reason for getting these, im in my 40s and my family all ski so needed something quick and easy to get in and out of. I also looked at burton step-on but not in need of new boots so didnt see the point.

In terms of response, these basically behave like a normal binding i didnt notice any loss in response or feel. They are slightly heavier which I only really noticed when carrying the board. I would say maybe if you are on it all the time then you might notice a lack of response but I think majority of riders wont notice any difference to a regular binding. The heel cup is fixed so probably helps with this.

The mechanism is easy to set up. I strapped in as normal and then it was set. After this you need to adjust the centre strap but simple process and never touched it again. You can then adjust as you want but once I got it set it was comfortable and i never changed it again.

Only time I had an issue getting in was on a really cold day when then shinny base place got a bit iced up but just cleared it with my glove. I probably could have used a bit more force and it would have been fine.

Getting in is really quick and started to manage it on the move getting off some lifts which went into a slight drop before the run started which was great. i think with practise would be able to do this a lot more of the time. Certainly was ready as quick as the skiers once they had faffed with poles and gloves etc. Im sure there are some really quick people strapping in that are as quick but that takes some effort and practse these are as simple as getting your foot in right place and pushing down.

Negatives - the position to put your foot/boot in is un-natural. You sort of a point your tow with bent knee and kick in the same motion. Takes a little getting used to as certainly not a normal movement of the leg/foot. With the flow bindings you have a much larger opening but as these have a fixed heel cup you have to get past that though not too difficult.

I wasn't always sure the back was locked in as clicking noise from the mechanism isnt that loud so the first turn onto the heel edge was the first check. That said, it was always locked in.

Most reviews seem to concentrate on the strapping in but the getting out bit is also important as un strapping a traditional binding while not slow does take a little more time when a skier just glides into a lift station and the binding was super easy to get out of. one click of the lever as you lift your foot and you come out of the binding.

All in all really simple to use and very clever design, would highly recommend if you want something easy to use , quick to get in and out of and just forget about once and set.

Pretty much agree with all of this. I didn't find the position to put your boot in unnatural as such, but I agree it's a kind of "point your toe and kick" type motion.

As someone who has used various bindings happily over the years, I'm nearly 47 and have got knees that have been hammered by years of football, so these are a great solution for me. I actually found them surprisingly more responsive than I thought I would too.
ski holidays
Just finishing my first week on these bindings. I'm on my early 30s and I know my 50 year old snowboarder self will thank me immensely for saving my back bending down and reaching constantly for my bindings.

Once you get the hang of it it's pretty easy. People complain that if you strap in too tight that it's hard to slot the boot in again - I found a trick, when it's your first click of the day and everything is dry, you just need to lube the roller section either by putting some snow on it, or what I found works, is digging my boot heel in snow to lube the boot before sliding in. And a bit of persuasion by standing on one foot and doing a mini hop to click in if required.

And to cure any doubts of being properly clicked in, I just basically do an ollie (high/low, doesn't matter) at the start of a run and know that the landing will generate enough force to click me in for sure. Never had a problem of not being clicked in at all after a week's worth of snowboarding. I've even managed to click in standing on a gradient and not somewhere completely flat. Once you get the knack, it's magic. What really surprised me which I didn't think much about is getting stuck in flat sections is not a poblem anymore - simply unlick the rear foot, do a few pushes, once you have enough momentum you just click the rear foot in and you're good to go - which means you carry momentum forwards rather than having to push all the way to a steeper section before sitting down and putting on the bindings. It's a game changer, honestly.

Funnily enough, I didn't get any stick at all on this trip from my ski buddies for "faffing" at the start of a run/flat sections/catching lifts/etc. Finally, I can snowboard in peace Very Happy
snow conditions
Interesting.

Main thing I don't like about any type of step in or flow style I've used is if you need to unstrap and dig yourself out of powder they are a right faff to get back into. I like being able to strap in without having to put my weight on the board if necessary, and even if my boot is temporarily 2cm thicker from a compressed powder chunk.
latest report
@brokenbetty, I had Flow bindings for a while and you could use them like traditional bindings if you wanted, they have been like that for ages.

https://snowboardingprofiles.com/flow-nx2-tm-bindings-review
snow report
@rayscoops

Oh yeah, I had flows for years. But kind of pointless to have them and just use them as trad bindings! Also they are (or at least were) heavier than trad bindings...I decided not to bother with flows any more after borrowing a friend's board, trying a jump when I was used to the weight of the flows and nearly going into orbit Laughing

Also, IIRC the ratchets are kind of small and fiddly vs trad bindings as well,.again not something you want to faff with in the powder.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@brokenbetty, you wouldn't use them as a trad binding, no point in that, but my reply was with respect to digging yourself out of powder and if necessary you can use the straps like trad bindings ... they can be used that way if you need to strap in and out if you are in deep snow, the point being are not limited to standing up to put on or take off the bindings
latest report
@rayscoops

Yeah I get that - I'm saying from my own experience, even using the ratchets they aren't as easy to strap in and out of as trad bindings in deep snow either.

Basically, been there, tried that, learned what I learned, not for me thanks snowHead
snow conditions
I finally caught up with that colleague who has gone over to Supermatics, and after a week on them at HT, he can't fault them. Said they didn't feel any different to his trad bindings in flex or lock-in, and the step in bit worked without a hitch. Did agree they can sometimes be a bit tricky to get out of but he'd got the knack by the end of the week. Even said I can borrow them sometime to give them a go.
ski holidays
One of my friends has been using SP bindings this season, I think he said they take some tweaking to get right but after that they work well.
snow conditions
brokenbetty wrote:
Interesting.

Main thing I don't like about any type of step in or flow style I've used is if you need to unstrap and dig yourself out of powder they are a right faff to get back into. I like being able to strap in without having to put my weight on the board if necessary, and even if my boot is temporarily 2cm thicker from a compressed powder chunk.

The high backs on the Supermatics can be locked in place without putting weight on the heel cusp attached to it. And the straps are actually pretty easy to get on and off, no more challenging than the Bataleon bindings I had before.
snow conditions
First week on these and i have to say i'm delighted. I'm using them with some old Burton Ruler boots.

I have a bad back caused by a pars defect, popping in and out of these bindings has made my life a lot easier.

Normally my mates are waiting for me to strap in, but now i'm hanging around waiting for them.
snow report
Had one client on these so far. He was stoked for the first few days, but then both of the release levers broke! Not ideal.
snow report
Hey Stevo!
Pleased to say I did get them replaced under warranty without any hassle or cost.

It's obviously a bit of a vulnerable component, although having read the instructions it does say 'don't press the release levers with your foot' ...which I may have done, though not at the point it broke.
snow conditions
@DaveyGTi, good to hear!
snow report
I bought Supermatics 3 days before my trip and got to ride them in Gudauri for 5 days before my board found a way to get down the mountain by itself and was never seen again. I was gonna write a long review of them but I'll try to keep it shorter.

Even though I have a pair of 2021 Union Forces in my storage room I am probably still going to be buying another pair of Supermatics. The step-in experience was enjoyable. Had 0 problems with 50cm powder that had fallen the night before. Walked in waist-deep snow, threw a flip into untracked snow, or just took a break from that off-piste back leg pain and could quite easily step back into them, didn't even have to clear the baseplate for them to work. Getting out of them in deep pow was a bit harder than traditional bindings but not too much after you cleared the snow behind the lever. Even took them to the park to ride a few rails/pipes and was constantly on the lookout for side hits with them. Response wise I could do the same things I do with my traditional bindings and didn't feel a difference.

An underappreciated experience that you get with them is once you find the perfect strap tightness they are just locked in for the rest of the trip, no more having to tighten or loosen them from time to time.

Enough about pro's here are some cons:
- Often double-checking if you are indeed clicked properly in at the start of a run. Usually fixed by ollieing or an heelside edge turn
- Harder to step in at higher speeds e.g. just got done skating and starting to get to the downhill part of a run. Usually doable with straps.
ski holidays
Quote:

e.g. just got done skating and starting to get to the downhill part of a run.

I came to the conclusion it was less faff to board off, walk and board on than to pump along with a foot out, which lets face it is an awkward manoeuvre at the best of times!
ski holidays
I don't mean to be rude, but if your flexibility is so bad that buckling up your bindings is difficult you probably need to work on that. Not specifically for snowboarding, but just from a healthy aging quality of life point of view.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy