Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2022/23 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@ribblevalleyblue, @radar, thanks both
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

“Would piste 168 on the way back be a good idea if open?”

@chrisbristol, yes, an excellent idea. It’s a 7km blue, but the only bit that might be a bit steep, messed up, and daunting for a nervous early intermediate is right at the end where it descends to the valley bottom. But that bit is only about 100 meters and could be walked down if necessary. It might be okay, but it does have a tendency to deteriorate into slushy moguls late in the day.

168 is better than ever this season because the horrible bit at the bottom, the last 100m, has been replaced by a brand new section of piste off to the right-hand side that ends up around the back of the Zell gondola (and continues out to the bus stop for Schonleiten/Saalbach).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have a question about connecting between lifts in Saalbach and Hinterglemm. Does getting from one lift to another involve a lot of walking through town? The bus in Saalbach seems only to go to the Schattberg Express. Thank you for any guidance as I'm worried about taking my (relatively elderly) group there as they don't like walking in ski boots.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
SuzyTyler wrote:
I have a question about connecting between lifts in Saalbach and Hinterglemm. Does getting from one lift to another involve a lot of walking through town? The bus in Saalbach seems only to go to the Schattberg Express. Thank you for any guidance as I'm worried about taking my (relatively elderly) group there as they don't like walking in ski boots.

You have to walk through the town, but it is not very far. Saalbach is very much pedestrianised.
Its about 400m (Can either walk to the right of the ticket office & up some steps - or go into the main building & take the escalator.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@SuzyTyler, if you are skiing from Hinterglem then it’s only a short walk from the Bernkogel across to the Kholmais slope, and relatively level. Walk straight across and take the lift up to the slopes

If you are taking the bus to the Schattberg then if you’re walking up to the Kholmais walk as far as the Eva Alm and turn right just before it, walk into the car park and take the lift up .

If you are going to the Bernkogel carry on and turn left by Peter hotel.

It’s an uphill walk around 400 or so meters getting to the Kholmais slope slightly less
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@quinton, that’s good news the last bit was a pain especially getting to the bus stop.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@SuzyTyler, yes, getting from the lifts on one side of the valley to the other in either saalbach or hinterglemm involves walking through town. It's not a massive distance but is a bit of a pain. When we were there last week we sussed out a small workaround (if you have the time) to take the bernkogel lift up and then ski down 146 and 145 pistes to get to schattberg express. It is DEFINITELY slower than walking but you feel like you havent had to walk across town (which was a major plus with kids in tow!) snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Gored wrote:
SuzyTyler wrote:

You have to walk through the town, but it is not very far. Saalbach is very much pedestrianised.
Its about 400m (Can either walk to the right of the ticket office & up some steps - or go into the main building & take the escalator.

Thank you - That might clinch a decision to go to Zell am See instead and explore one side at a time Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@toyah807, you can certainly ski in from the Turmweise lift or any of the higher pistes, including from under the Kohlmais lift although that's a bit of a flat traverse and I'd take Turmweise back up for that reason alone. Ski out should also be possible to the Turmweise lift, but again it may be a bit flat - see the line in yellow below which shows it being downhill in the 3D view. The red line is the ski route to Bernkogel, where you can drop down a fairly nasty funnel to get to street level and then walk down one block and over one block rather than taking the passenger lift down and walking through the tunnel and along the road. There's not a lot in it, but we prefer the funnel as the carnage is sometimes fun to watch, and it saves standing around waiting for a lift and then sharing it with 20 other people.

ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@SuzyTyler, welcome to Snowheads!

From the U-bahn to the Reiterkogelbahn in Hinterglemm is 300m, and flat - https://goo.gl/maps/hBbeRsXAgBWVCXX39

From the Bernkogel piste, there's now an access ramp which goes down to almost opposite the Schattberg Xpress - take a right around the Soul House and the piste crosses under Eberhartweg in a tunnel then takes a turn down to the south-east to drop onto Schulstrasse beside Schwips. - https://goo.gl/maps/QK3DN9Say5KnRi8D7

From Turmweise or Kohlmais, it's a walk to be avoided if you can, though it is only about 350m and there's an alleyway beside the Schattbergstube which gets you to the access ramp for the Schattberg Xpress - https://goo.gl/maps/hZKvR5E1BmPQ16ZS6
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
gilo wrote:
@SuzyTyler, yes, getting from the lifts on one side of the valley to the other in either saalbach or hinterglemm involves walking through town. It's not a massive distance but is a bit of a pain. When we were there last week we sussed out a small workaround (if you have the time) to take the bernkogel lift up and then ski down 146 and 145 pistes to get to schattberg express. It is DEFINITELY slower than walking but you feel like you havent had to walk across town (which was a major plus with kids in tow!) snowHead

Thank you, yes - it does look a bit of a pain, probably needing a coffee or beer half way across. Thank you. Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ousekjarr wrote:
@toyah807, you can certainly ski in from the Turmweise lift or any of the higher pistes, including from under the Kohlmais lift although that's a bit of a flat traverse and I'd take Turmweise back up for that reason alone. Ski out should also be possible to the Turmweise lift, but again it may be a bit flat - see the line in yellow below which shows it being downhill in the 3D view. The red line is the ski route to Bernkogel, where you can drop down a fairly nasty funnel to get to street level and then walk down one block and over one block rather than taking the passenger lift down and walking through the tunnel and along the road. There's not a lot in it, but we prefer the funnel as the carnage is sometimes fun to watch, and it saves standing around waiting for a lift and then sharing it with 20 other people.

That brings it to life - thank you!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@ousekjarr, ideal, thanks
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@SuzyTyler, I live in Saalbach, and frankly I don’t understand all this talk about walking. One of the blessings of the lift and bus system is that, with a bit of knowledge and planning, it’s possible to minimise and in fact virtually eliminate any walking. In a normal season, I very seldom walk in ski boots for more than a hundred yards (and that tends to be between the Kohlmais and the Bernkogel gondola).

However it is important to select accommodation that is near to either the Kohlmaisbahn or the Bernkogelbahn. And there is plenty of slopeside accommodation in those areas.
Perhaps the most important thing to keep in mind is that getting to the Schönleitenbahn before it closes at 16.00 enables you to have a glorious ski back to Saalbach down the blue runs of the Kohlmais. And, if you’ve chosen your accommodation sensibly, you will be able to ski down very close to your accommodation, with little or no walking. Some accommodation is ski-in ski-out.

So, whether you head up the Kohlmaisbahn and go east to Leogang, or head up the Bernkogelbahn and head west, to Hinterglemm or Fieberbrunn, you should be able to end your skiing day by skiing back close to your accommodation. Invariably this will involve simply skiing down the Kohlmais or Bernkogel, without any necessity to use a ski bus at all.

It is only when I find myself a fair way distant from Saalbach - such as at Hochalm (beyond Hinterglemm), or on the Zwölferkogel, and without sufficient time to comfortably ski back to Saalbach (say by 15.00 -15.30) that I ever hop onto a ski bus.

The key points to remember are that:
(a) the ski buses run every 20 minutes all along the valley (every 10 minutes between Viehhofen and the Schönleitenbahn)
(b) from the Zwölferkogel to the Schönleitenbahn takes only 15 minutes on the ski bus
(c) from Hochalm to the Schönleitenbahn takes 20 minutes on the ski bus
(d) getting off the ski bus at the Schattberg Xpress, rather than the Schönleitenbahn, means walking up through the village
(e) staying near the Schattberg Xpress means that you are likely to be more reliant on walking and/or ski buses. Although you could plan your day so as to return down the Schattberg black run or in the gondola.

It’s really just a question of familiarising yourself with the piste map and giving some thought to itineraries that enable you to ski back without doing any appreciable walking. It’s not difficult.

Hinterglemm is a different kettle of fish. The ski buses don’t go through the village centre, and the two bus stops at either end of the bypass tunnel are about a mile apart. Intuitively I feel that it would be a lot more difficult to plan itineraries that bring you back close to your accommodation, in the way that you can in Saalbach, but I have no experience of having to do so.

Staying in Zell am See, as you have suggested, might not be a better option, unless you find the right accommodation, and you don’t mind the far more limited area.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
tatmanstours wrote:
@SuzyTyler, I live in Saalbach, and frankly I don’t understand all this talk about walking. One of the blessings of the lift and bus system is that, with a bit of knowledge and planning, it’s possible to minimise and in fact virtually eliminate any walking. In a normal season, I very seldom walk in ski boots for more than a hundred yards (and that tends to be between the Kohlmais and the Bernkogel gondola).

However it is important to select accommodation that is near to either the Kohlmaisbahn or the Bernkogelbahn. And there is plenty of slopeside accommodation in those areas.
Perhaps the most important thing to keep in mind is that getting to the Schönleitenbahn before it closes at 16.00 enables you to have a glorious ski back to Saalbach down the blue runs of the Kohlmais. And, if you’ve chosen your accommodation sensibly, you will be able to ski down very close to your accommodation, with little or no walking. Some accommodation is ski-in ski-out.

So, whether you head up the Kohlmaisbahn and go east to Leogang, or head up the Bernkogelbahn and head west, to Hinterglemm or Fieberbrunn, you should be able to end your skiing day by skiing back close to your accommodation. Invariably this will involve simply skiing down the Kohlmais or Bernkogel, without any necessity to use a ski bus at all.

It is only when I find myself a fair way distant from Saalbach - such as at Hochalm (beyond Hinterglemm), or on the Zwölferkogel, and without sufficient time to comfortably ski back to Saalbach (say by 15.00 -15.30) that I ever hop onto a ski bus.

The key points to remember are that:
(a) the ski buses run every 20 minutes all along the valley (every 10 minutes between Viehhofen and the Schönleitenbahn)
(b) from the Zwölferkogel to the Schönleitenbahn takes only 15 minutes on the ski bus
(c) from Hochalm to the Schönleitenbahn takes 20 minutes on the ski bus
(d) getting off the ski bus at the Schattberg Xpress, rather than the Schönleitenbahn, means walking up through the village
(e) staying near the Schattberg Xpress means that you are likely to be more reliant on walking and/or ski buses. Although you could plan your day so as to return down the Schattberg black run or in the gondola.

It’s really just a question of familiarising yourself with the piste map and giving some thought to itineraries that enable you to ski back without doing any appreciable walking. It’s not difficult.

Hinterglemm is a different kettle of fish. The ski buses don’t go through the village centre, and the two bus stops at either end of the bypass tunnel are about a mile apart. Intuitively I feel that it would be a lot more difficult to plan itineraries that bring you back close to your accommodation, in the way that you can in Saalbach, but I have no experience of having to do so.

Staying in Zell am See, as you have suggested, might not be a better option, unless you find the right accommodation, and you don’t mind the far more limited area.

Wow, thank you. Now back to looking at hotels near Kohlmais. We have 4 non-skiers in the group (12-14 of us(, which made me think they might like Zell am See, with the skiers having access to Kaprun and Saalbach but looks like lots of buses involved unless we stay at, for example, the Hotel Daxer at the bottom of the Schmittenberg lift. From what everyone seems to say, Saalbach is the place to go (if we can avoid the walking).
snow report
@SuzyTyler, I tend to compare the Ski Circus to a wheel, with Saalbach at its hub, and outlying resorts, like Leogang, Fieberbrunn, Zell am See, Hochalm around its rim.
There are some very highly regarded and well-located hotels in the upper part of the village - like the Kohlmais, the Kendler, the Kristiana, the Eva Village, the Bauer, the Neuhaus. And cheaper ones like Hotel Peter, Hotel Mitterer.
ski holidays
Are there any hotels in saalbach that offer pool / spa day passes for non residents?
latest report
@ollski2.0, the Hotel Alpinresort and the Hotel Kendler. You could try sweet talking your way into others.
Also the luxurious Tauernspa is less than half an hour’s drive away, and that’s where many people go.
ski holidays
SuzyTyler wrote:
From what everyone seems to say, Saalbach is the place to go (if we can avoid the walking).

Saalbach is small village - one main street with the shops & restaurants. That's pretty much it.
Hinterglemm is strung out along a road about a mile or so long for shops & restaurants.

It's really not that much walking. 400m tops. Stay 1/2 way & it's 200m up to the 2x gondola's or 200m down the Schattberg!

You can try to ski back like this snowboarder did.... before he fell over

image upload
snow report
For those going to Saalbach Hinterglemm next week, and for those still in resort, the last of the Van Kleist Wild FOKERs still hasn't been claimed!

///polymer.bandits.stage

After having a fantastic time here this year, it's looking increasingly like I'll be returning for 2024. So, a bit of a heads-up, Van Kleist might be making another visit to the slopes, and leaving more evocative surprises to be discovered...
snow report
ousekjarr wrote:
@SuzyTyler, welcome to Snowheads!

From the U-bahn to the Reiterkogelbahn in Hinterglemm is 300m, and flat - https://goo.gl/maps/hBbeRsXAgBWVCXX39

From the Bernkogel piste, there's now an access ramp which goes down to almost opposite the Schattberg Xpress - take a right around the Soul House and the piste crosses under Eberhartweg in a tunnel then takes a turn down to the south-east to drop onto Schulstrasse beside Schwips. - https://goo.gl/maps/QK3DN9Say5KnRi8D7

From Turmweise or Kohlmais, it's a walk to be avoided if you can, though it is only about 350m and there's an alleyway beside the Schattbergstube which gets you to the access ramp for the Schattberg Xpress - https://goo.gl/maps/hZKvR5E1BmPQ16ZS6

Thank you, really helpful.
latest report
tatmanstours wrote:
@SuzyTyler, I tend to compare the Ski Circus to a wheel, with Saalbach at its hub, and outlying resorts, like Leogang, Fieberbrunn, Zell am See, Hochalm around its rim.
There are some very highly regarded and well-located hotels in the upper part of the village - like the Kohlmais, the Kendler, the Kristiana, the Eva Village, the Bauer, the Neuhaus. And cheaper ones like Hotel Peter, Hotel Mitterer.

They look great, albeit reports of noisy streets. Are excited revellers an issue in January?
snow report
@SuzyTyler, the hotels at the upper end of the main street, as well as the Hotel Kohlmais, should be relatively unaffected by noise. Those that are more centrally located are of course more exposed, although I’ve never heard anyone complain. It’s probably not advisable to allow yourself to be allocated a room overlooking the main street, if you’re an “early to bed” light sleeper. Some of the bars and nightclubs are open until the early hours, and it’s inevitable that there will be some inconsiderate, drunken idiots. It only takes a few.
ski holidays
OK, the million dollar question. Who makes the best Kaiserschmarrn in the valley?
snow report
@WASHOUT, according to Mrs Radar https://www.liebe-heimat.at/en/restaurant/restaurant-heimat/ or the https://www.reiteralm-saalbach.at/
snow conditions
@radar, what?! Not the Hecherhuette?!
latest report
@tatmanstours, to be fair they do have the best Apple Strudel and historic vanilla sauce, we get to go there so infrequently haven’t sampled their Kaiserschram , maybe on our up coming trip, if 168 is open will be there like a shot any food we have had there has been very good.
snow conditions
Does anyone know if DJ Toni is still playing at the Schwartzacher? He's the old dude that gets up in tables to play accordion from time to time. Going to Zell in march and want to make the trip over. How is the run over from the Zell side. Mixed group going
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SuzyTyler wrote:
tatmanstours wrote:

They look great, albeit reports of noisy streets. Are excited revellers an issue in January?

I stayed central, while outside was relatively peaceful, there was loud dutch youngsters on our floor who was quite noisy.
snow conditions
Well a great week comes to an end Eh oh! Minus my skis as someone picked up my K2’s One luv skis and left theirs - if you are on here shout!!
snow report
Gilly28 wrote:
Well a great week comes to an end Eh oh! Minus my skis as someone picked up my K2’s One luv skis and left theirs - if you are on here shout!!

Happened to us once in Saalbach. Fortunately the pair that were left were rental skis that just had a barcode on. We eventually located the rental shop and obtained the name and accommodation address of the renter. They weren’t at their accommodation, but we were given access to the ski storage room, where we found our skis and deposited the rental skis. The renter was completely oblivious to all this and would simply have found her skis in the right place the following morning.
ski holidays
Happened to us once in Saalbach. Fortunately the pair that were left were rental skis that just had a barcode on. We eventually located the rental shop and obtained the name and accommodation address of the renter. They weren’t at their accommodation, but we were given access to the ski storage room, where we found our skis and deposited the rental skis. The renter was completely oblivious to all this and would simply have found her skis in the right place the following morning.[/quote]

This is the second time it has happened to me. Last time was in Meribel, many moons ago, brand new skis, came out of pub and all of our groups skis were there apart from mine, but there was one pair of rentals, nothing like mine or length (im pretty short!) however was good that it was rentals and like you we contacted rental shop and right away they said oh we know who it is and got her to bring mine down. I am now thinking it might be a good idea to put a sticker with a contact number on skis, as in this case it has just been an accident not malicious and if my number was there im sure they would have called.
snow report
@Gilly28,
I have linked them elsewhere
If you have an iphone then an airtag & https://www.amazon.de/-/en/gp/product/B09MWGDGPN?tag=amz07b-21
ski holidays
In case anyone’s looking for accommodation in Saalbach, I may be able to help - especially the weeks beginning 18/02/23, 18/03/23, and 02/04/23
snow report
@Gilly28, @Gored, we use this type of lock saves any one accidentally taking our skis, the air tag pouch can easily be opened by anyone carrying a Dakin multi tool, though it could be handy for finding your skiing partner Very Happy
https://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/V/Amplifi_Wire_Lock_Leash_Snowboard_Leash_Black-(350271)?fc=GBP/?keyword=&gclid=CjwKCAiAlp2fBhBPEiwA2Q10D3M45cljXCUKcEEMfKoPZ6q2QjMdM7vVgsg8njzMhktT8qRpHHNs5xoCegAQAvD_BwE
snow conditions
radar wrote:
@Gilly28, @Gored, we use this type of lock saves any one accidentally taking our skis, the air tag pouch can easily be opened by anyone carrying a Dakin multi tool, though it could be handy for finding your skiing partner Very Happy
https://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/V/Amplifi_Wire_Lock_Leash_Snowboard_Leash_Black-(350271)?fc=GBP/?keyword=&gclid=CjwKCAiAlp2fBhBPEiwA2Q10D3M45cljXCUKcEEMfKoPZ6q2QjMdM7vVgsg8njzMhktT8qRpHHNs5xoCegAQAvD_BwE

I do have a lock as well. A thread a few days ago says someone had their lock cut & gear nicked in St Anton's.

All I can do is make it a deterrent - if someone wants a set of ski's or board gear that badly, then they are more than likely fully equipped and prepared.
Locks can be cut & yes tag's can be opened if they have the right HEX key with a security hole - not something that is on a multi-tool! (you could always change the hex screw for one of them triangle ones to make it more difficult).
ski holidays
@Gored, good that they thought of the security angle, didn’t pick it up on the link.

It’s just a deterrent as you say if they are desperate they will find a way.
latest report
@Gored, Yeah been thinking about air tags for luggage, think we will invest in some.
That’s our week over, loved it. Just want to come back again this season!! Probably not possible though, who knows. Wuick turnaround tonight unpacking washing and repacking for Abu Dhabi on Monday morning, one extreme to another! snowHead Cool
snow report
Just a heads up if driving to Salzburg, traffic is extremely slow, we left at 10am and still on road. Luckily we got a bus earlier than needed but some on our bus will maybe miss their flight.
ski holidays
boabski wrote:
Does anyone know if DJ Toni is still playing at the Schwartzacher? He's the old dude that gets up in tables to play accordion from time to time. Going to Zell in march and want to make the trip over. How is the run over from the Zell side. Mixed group going

He wasn’t playing when I was there last month- I stay at the Penhab about 200m away, every evening it was some terrible house/garage/Austrian apres hybrid!!! rolling eyes

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sat 11-02-23 19:29; edited 1 time in total
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy