Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2022/23 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@Gored, or pre-booking seats?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@radar Thanks, will be sure to visit some of those. Also a great reminder to not forget to get some cash out.

@Gilly28 Thanks, will check out their wares.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ski_free, the Wildenkarhutte has a €10 minimum, the Montana is €50 my Daughter tried to pay for drinks which were definitely over 10 and they said no. Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Gored wrote:
@Gilly28,

Bit of an update.
Bus was full and lucky to get on due to the amount of luggage.
If you arrive early at the airport then I would investigate getting to central bus station and picking the bus up from there!

Oh thanks for the heads up!! Will look into that as we habe a few hours to kill, or as Tatmantours suggests will prebook seats.
Did you try at all with the likes if Crystal reps at airport, if they had any space?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Gilly28 wrote:
Gored wrote:
@Gilly28,

Bit of an update.
If you arrive early at the airport then I would investigate getting to central bus station and picking the bus up from there!

Oh thanks for the heads up!! Will look into that as we habe a few hours to kill, or as Tatmantours suggests will prebook seats.
Did you try at all with the likes if Crystal reps at airport, if they had any space?

Alternatively, walk around the corner to the previous stop. About 5 minutes.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Austrian Seagull, @Gilly28, had the same thought, it’s by the petrol station , turn right as you come out of the baggage hall, past the Crystal/Inghams desk, walk through the car park you will see the petrol station on your right, the bus stop is to its right.

The 260 is a public bus I don’t think you can prebook seats, https://salzburg-verkehr.at/en/
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Anyone know of a supermarket near airport, a search shows a Maxglan supermarket about 20 mins walk? As we have time to kill it would be ideal to get some supplies and be able to try get out skiing when we arrive as opposed to a supermarket shop.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Gilly28, there is a Hofer known to us as Aldi about 20 minutes walk away, follow the directions I gave to the bus stop but carry on past the bus stop through the underpass and I’m sure it on the left, you go past an OBI diy store. I knew the walk back from Hangar 7 would come in useful one day Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@radar, Thanks so much!! We were going to go to Hangar 7 to pass some time, doing a shop will be handy!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Gilly28, for Hangar 7 you go right at the OBI , we enjoyed it, had a bite to eat there too

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sun 29-01-23 18:00; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
tatmanstours wrote:
@Gored, or pre-booking seats?

Didnt see that option for a bus when I bought my ticket online.
Could see it for the train. Can bus seats be pre-booked? It was the mad scramble for limited baggage space that seemed the biggest problem.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Austrian Seagull wrote:
Gilly28 wrote:
Gored wrote:
@Gilly28,

Bit of an update.

Alternatively, walk around the corner to the previous stop. About 5 minutes.

Yes, that would work. Something I thought about, but not knowing anything about the area had no idea if it was close or not.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gilly28 wrote:
Anyone know of a supermarket near airport, a search shows a Maxglan supermarket about 20 mins walk? As we have time to kill it would be ideal to get some supplies and be able to try get out skiing when we arrive as opposed to a supermarket shop.

That is worthwhile. Supermarket in centre is closed on sundays. Passed a petrol station with a shop. Seemed a bit of a trek on foot.
Had a nice day out to the hospital today.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Gored wrote:

Oops, that's not great. Nothing serious I hope?
snow report
Great first day in Saalbach, beautiful sunny day to get our bearings and hoping the forecast pans out for all the snow predicted later in the week.
Lunch in Stocklalm, pudding in Ederalm, drinks in Thurmeralm, all very good.
Planning night skiing in Hinterglemn tomorrow, anyone got a top tip for child friendly dining near this? Would Gerstreitalm be open to eat up on the piste?
ski holidays
@Gilly28, Anyone know of a supermarket near airport, a search shows a Maxglan supermarket about 20 mins walk? As we have time to kill it would be ideal to get some supplies and be able to try get out skiing when we arrive as opposed to a supermarket shop.

Last Saturday on arrival I walked with a large suitcase and boot bag up to the spar which is in the petrol station where all the taxi vans park, it’s 2 mins max with all that clobber, turn right out of arrivals and straight ahead can’t miss it.
Got stocked up on all essentials for the first morning whilst waiting for friends on later flight, that allowed me to get on the slopes by 3pm on the Saturday, rather than having to go to the supermarket in Saalbach or having no breakfast!
snow report
@gilo, the night skiing is pretty limited, and none of the alms on the hill stay open because none of them are within the coverage of the lights.

Your best bet is the Unterschwarzach, which is open for meals in the evening. You can easily reach it from the bottom of the Ubahn.

With a forecast of 0 to -3 for Monday evening, it should be good.
snow conditions
ousekjarr wrote:
Gored wrote:

Oops, that's not great. Nothing serious I hope?

I think she just avoided popping her elbow (first turn! Records broken!). Moving her coat off may have popped it back in. Strained tendon. 3-4 days of my being on the mountain on my tod.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 29-01-23 22:16; edited 2 times in total
snow report
gilo wrote:
Great first day in Saalbach, beautiful sunny day to get our bearings and hoping the forecast pans out for all the snow predicted later in the week.
Lunch in Stocklalm, pudding in Ederalm, drinks in Thurmeralm, all very good.
Planning night skiing in Hinterglemn tomorrow, anyone got a top tip for child friendly dining near this? Would Gerstreitalm be open to eat up on the piste?

Better day than me then snowHead

Going to try to get over to hilterglemm tomorrow & meet the other half for food. Then she can make her way back on tarmac & me on snow.
snow conditions
“The 260 is a public bus I don’t think you can prebook seats,”
@Gored, @radar,
My sister and her partner prebooked and paid online for seats on the 260 bus from Salzburg Airport yesterday. Then their flight was delayed, so they missed it.
snow report
@ousekjarr, thanks, that’s helpful. It does look a bit limited but the children are very excited by the idea! snowHead
latest report
Bluebird day yesterday. Lunch at the delightful Pfefferalm (for the uninitiated that’s the oldest restaurant in the valley - rustic looking with panoramic views over Hinterglemm). Full marks for quick, friendly and efficient service. Tasty gulasch soup and a slice of bread for 5.5 euros.
The pistes, especially at Hochalm, were remarkably quiet.

Wound up at the Soul House, where the après-ski atmosphere and musical entertainment didn’t disappoint. For the initiated, the three-piece Swedish band, including singer/guitarist Peter Thederan, really are excellent, even though taking an extended break at 5.00pm seemed odd timing and caused us to drift away.

Later the Parma restaurant scored maybe 5/10 so won’t be hurrying back. Perhaps it was a bad night, or perhaps standards have slipped.

Spacey was in fine form in the Ötzi Bar from 10.00pm. Stayed for about an hour.

Another fine day beckons today, until “snowmageddon” is forecast to hit in the late afternoon. And Thursday should be interesting - 72cm of new snow is forecast! At least that should enable piste 168 to be opened.
snow report
@gilo, our kids liked it, though the novelty wears off due to the limited area. It can also be significantly colder in the evening, though tonight is relatively warm.

We were staying halfway down the Bergfriedlift on Haidweg, so part of the novelty was skiing home in the dark wink

The park, ski movie and speed check areas are all open, so if any of those appeal they can extend the time
snow conditions
Difficult to answer year to year, a subjective view too, but I will ask anyway.... how busy are the slopes this week? I am stuck between week of 13th and week of 27th Jan next year and struggling to decide.
snow conditions
Just got back from a week in Saalbach (21 - 28th). Pistes were in super condition for the first half of the week, but starting to thin out in places by Friday. Fieberbrunn had the best conditions - great all week on the pistes and still some nice stuff at the sides etc.

Soul House was in fine apres form, as usual. Particularly Friday night which was absolutely brilliant.
Berger Alm - Tried Sunday and Monday to get in for a happy Hour apres - turned away both times. Sunday too full, Monday big group reservation. Finally got a table outside on Wednesday - 4 beers for the price of 2, but probs not worth all the faff (although the ski down under a great sunset was a cracker.
Didn't make it to Hinterhag Alm but heard good things and will go next time.

Foodwise - Chicken man excellent, obvs (should be for that price). We didn't have any poor food all week, but a shout out to Wildalpgatterl in Fieberbrunn which was excellent (twice).

Rented skis from Snow Academy (because had good service there before and had booked before skiing the recommendations for Hansi's). Wouldn't use again - skis were ok, but a few years old and not great even when new.

Think that's about it ... apart from a thanks to @MajorQ for the Van Kleist hunt. Toofy Grin
snow report
@ribblevalleyblue, Thanks might just go there as we were wondering if it would be too much to drag the gear to the bigger supermarket, or maybe just one of us will go and the other stay with the bags.
Yeah last year we went straight out to ski on the Saturday, didn’t know the supermarket was closed on a Sunday, ended up it was Tuesday or Wednesday before we made it for supplies, so want to be more organised this year.
snow report
Night skiing highly entertaining, helped that it was snowing heavily so a nice sprinkling of fresh on each run. Would definitely recommend for anyone who hasn’t experienced it before.
Rounded off another cracking day working clockwise from schattberg around the valley back to Saalbach. Only slight disappointment is soul house shut today, will try another time.
General impression is that a lot of runs seem under graded, especially blues that are really reds. V enjoyable pistes but have to be careful what we get the kids into if can’t trust the grading….
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@gilo, Barring the big north face routes (1/1a 40, 125) most runs in Sb/Hg are pretty similar in gradient.

More variety is obtained in Leogang and Feiberbrunn
latest report
And Zell - excellent for experienced skiers. All the blacks are challenging and different, plus the run under the Zell express is awesome, even though most people hate it!
snow conditions
@toyah807,
“ Difficult to answer year to year, a subjective view too, but I will ask anyway.... how busy are the slopes this week? I am stuck between week of 13th and week of 27th Jan next year and struggling to decide.”

In the last couple of days I haven’t found them crowded and haven’t encountered anything akin to even a small queue. So it looks like a good week. The middle of January is also generally a good time to visit Saalbach. If I were you I’d choose the week that promises the better weather.
latest report
@tatmanstours, thanks.
ski holidays
@gilo, glad you liked the night skiing!

On piste grading, there are several areas where the grading seems a little odd, but typically when you find something that jars, eg on Zwolferkogel below the mid station there's a short pitch which is very steep and would never make it into a blue run elsewhere, but if you look around you'll find an alternative route - in this case further right there's a much easier route, but if you don't know that you can find yourself at the top of a fairly scary pitch for beginners and with limited options.

It pays to observe others - if confident beginners are heading right, and good skiers are heading left, there's probably a reason for that.
latest report
@ousekjarr, I wish someone had told me this sooner. I scouted ahead around that steep left bend (followed by an uphill section) on board... I wish I'd had my watch on that day, tracking my speed - I certainly didn't expect such a steep drop! I took my beginner the other way, next time around and she loved it (think it's 38?). Next year we'll see if we can get her flying down the steep one Twisted Evil
latest report
gilo wrote:

General impression is that a lot of runs seem under graded, especially blues that are really reds. V enjoyable pistes but have to be careful what we get the kids into if can’t trust the grading….

Agree
It gets to the point point that just because it is wide does not make it easier. Done blue 37 this morning. Didnt take 38 at the split. My thighs are still burning & decided to call it a day.
I did enjoy watching people people who though they could ski the main street last night & fell over
snow report
Flights booked for a cheeky late march week, don't expect a lot from the snow as we had a slushy week same time last year, but I will be content with enough almdudler, schnitzel, and kaiserschmarrn to keep a small army on their feet.
Now to perform the snow dance for the next 40 days!
snow conditions
@Liv7, you may be luckier this year and pleasantly surprised. Late March and early April can be good. As ever, it depends on which way the wind is blowing.
latest report
Day 3, a day of 2 halves…. Super start, noodling between pistes above hinterglemm on the reiterkogel side, lots of fresh tracks. Great lunch at pfefferalm (small menu but excellent food and service) and all was well.
Then a call from ski school that our 9yo has been taken off the hill in a blood bucket. Mad dash back over a very cut up bernkogel piste before thankfully finding that the restorative power of Haribo and a scary sledge ride had convinced him that his knee was still functional. Phew.
He was most indignant that skiing was off the menu for the rest of they but will be back on it tomorrow. snowHead
ski holidays
We took @tatmanstours, advice last year and hired Ski's from Hansis Best Pricem, and as one of our group noted 'probably the best rentals ive ever had'. This year we have a snowboarder who needs to rent, does the collective knowledge here think Board.at is best in this case or is there a better alternative?
ski holidays
@magic_hat, My pleasure! There's still one to be claimed, unless @tatmanstours has crawled from their sickbed and found it.

///polymer.bandits.stage
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy