Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2022/23 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
enduroaid wrote:
Zell am see definitely has a few picnic rooms - ArietBhan has one in the middle station beside the toilets, and i'm sure the new build venue at the top of the transxpress has a picnic area.

Normally if you seek out the areas where the ski schools tend to operate you will find picnic rooms.

Brilliant, thanks for the info.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@TomBH

The cross over point is roughly where the tree is on the left, you will need to take your skis off to cross the road, then ski down between the buildings and the trees and go left.

Were it says top 7 is our apartment and the Die Sonne.

If you want a picnic the sandwiches from MPreiss are good Very Happy

snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think that's pretty much where we are staying next year, was thinking the best shout would be to have a ski locker in town for keeping some trainers in for the walk each way
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Need some help on picnic areas in the Ski Circus its roof @Motherofthree,

"Another thing I would like to know if there are picnic places on the mountain in Saalbach and Zell am See? I mean warm places indoors where you can eat your own food."

The only one I could think of was the one mentioned by ribblevalleyblue: at the bottom of the Sportbahn at Leogang. But that’s being totally refurbished for this season, so who knows?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@radar, thanks, the picture is very helpful.

We are coming first week or March so all being well we can be cruising back to the hotel.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@TomBH,

Hotel Sonne , great hotel , stayed there a few times, never skied down to it mind, as no apres !
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@ollski2.0, Die Sonne provided a courtesy transfer , the have their own mini busses

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 4-11-22 6:49; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@radar, @ollski2.0, Die Sonne provided a curtesy transfer , the have their own mini busses

Unless it’s changed , great for early apres, but when I last stayed around 6 last one back
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@ribblevalleyblue, back in time for your all inclusive dinner.

A taxi is €18, well it was last season!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@radar, a good point if you have a group
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ribblevalleyblue wrote:
@TomBH,

Hotel Sonne , great hotel , stayed there a few times, never skied down to it mind, as no apres !

Good to hear. Slowly working our way up the valley. Lengau (20), Hinterglemm (22). Saalbach itself for 24 perhaps!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
radar wrote:
@ollski2.0, Die Sonne provided a curtesy transfer , the have their own mini busses

Ah sorry I lost my bearings, we aren't staying at the hotel at all we are in an apartment a good old walk out of town the other way
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
This year’s chat has made me think of all the places I have stayed in Saalbach and when I actually first visited, so let me bore you!

March this year was my 10th year in Saalbach, first visit January 2012 and then went back again in March!

Visited twice a year until my son was born in 2016, which then reduced it to once per year.

Longest days in an year was a 11 day trip one January and then an 8 day in March, got a season pass that year and saved money on weekly rates. Have done a few 10 day visits.

Done a number of 8 day trips, flying out Friday to get a full days skiing on Saturday and held my nerve to get a last-minute room for the Friday in Saalbach (with back up plan staying in Salzburg) never failed to get one, had to go to Hinterglemm for a night once.

My accommodation has been at;

Chalet Tatman x 2
Hotel die Sonne x 3
Alpinresort x1
Pension Enzian x 4 +
Hotel Siegmundshof x 2
Hotel & Art Kristiania x 3
Hotel Kohlmais x 1 (2020 with son and wife and by far the best food I have had in Saalbach)
Hotel Eva Garden x 1 night only
Haus Eder Steiner x 1 night
Pension Kohlbrundl x 1 night
Pension Unknown Hinterglemm x 1 night

Not quite sure Saalbach is for me, will try again this Jan and see if it delivers!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quick look on the live webcams this morning.

Oh, you beauty!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Finally got round to booking flights and hire car this morning. Apartment has been booked for months. Countdown is on Very Happy snowHead
snow conditions
@ribblevalleyblue,

I like the idea of Pension unknown..... reminds me of a last minute package summer holiday where you book and get allocated a hotel on arrival!
ski holidays
TomBH wrote:
@ribblevalleyblue,

I like the idea of Pension unknown..... reminds me of a last minute package summer holiday where you book and get allocated a hotel on arrival!

You could get ski holidays like this too, crystal had "snowhouses" in some resorts, book the area and the digs were a surprise. I had some great stays in random pensions
snow report
joe1978 wrote:
TomBH wrote:
@ribblevalleyblue,

You could get ski holidays like this too, crystal had "snowhouses" in some resorts, book the area and the digs were a surprise. I had some great stays in random pensions

Yep they used to be quite common cheap options

Resort & Accommodation allocated on arrival
Or Accommodation allocated on arrival if you stumped up the money to pick a resort.
Rarely see them these days. Had a nice pension in the Ski-Welt years ago.
snow report
Can anyone advise where the post bus from Salzburg airport stops in Saalbach and the location of the return stop?
ski holidays
The #260 postbus from Salzburg Airport does not go to Saalbach - you have to change to the #680 at the crossroads outside Maishofen. You get off the #260 at the bus stop on the main road and walk down a short ramp to the #680 bus stop on the valley road.

The buses are timetabled to meet each other and make the connection and the drivers communicate so that the Saalbach bus waits a few minutes if the #260 is running late (otherwise it is an hour until the next bus to Saalbach). If the #260 is severely delayed, passengers continue on to Zell am See and pick up the #680 there instead.

To get back to Salzburg, the journey is done in reverse: #680 to Maishofen (only as far as to the crossroads, NOT into Maishofen village itself) and then you walk up a ramp to the #260 bus stop on the main road.

Many people use this connection, so just ask the drivers to let you know where and when to get off.

The #680 travels all along the Glemm valley via Viehhofen, Vorderglemm, Saalbach, Hinterglemm and terminates at Lengau. There are stops every 500m or so (even closer in the main villages) so if you know where you are staying, your accommodation provider can tell you which bus stop is the closest.
snow report
@nahdendee, the 680 stops at many stops in Saalbach, it’s the regular bus,.

You will be taking the 260 bus from the airport to Maishofen and then change on to the 680 up the valley.

This is the link to the trip planner https://salzburg-verkehr.at/en/ , if you download the app you can buy your tickets through it

The app has a map to help guide you with your transfer.
snow conditions
quinton wrote:

The #680 travels all along the Glemm valley via Viehhofen, Vorderglemm, Saalbach, Hinterglemm and terminates at Lengau. There are stops every 500m or so (even closer in the main villages) so if you know where you are staying, your accommodation provider can tell you which bus stop is the closest.

Worth using google maps street view for this one! Get an idea of your bus stop & pick-out a landmark to know its your stop!
snow report
Im thinking of doing a short recon trip in December as I have annual leave I need to use.
Is Pension Schattbergstube any good? It seems really cheap with lift pass on Sunweb & close the schattberg xpress lift.
I already have berger sport hotel booked for January
snow report
It is right next to the Schattberg Xpress lift and the rooms are above the Schattbergstuben restaurant. It could hardly be more central, and if the rooms are the same standard as the food then it is ideal.
ski holidays
Thanks for your replies and links to the bus timetables.

Can anyone advise what the walk is like from the bus stop on the main road at the tourist office to the road by the Kohlmaisbahn lift?. Will be carrying suitcases and ski gear

If not an easy walk, is it possible to get a taxi near this bus stop

Other option is to get off the bus @ the Schattberg Express lift. Again is it an easy walk or is it possible to get a taxi from there?
ski holidays
quinton wrote:
It is right next to the Schattberg Xpress lift and the rooms are above the Schattbergstuben restaurant. It could hardly be more central, and if the rooms are the same standard as the food then it is ideal.

Thanks - time to look for cheap flights. It was the location & good reviews of the restaurant that drew me to it.. Oh & the price. £360 for 4 nights + 3 day ski pass - so about £100 per night for B&B with 2x sharing seeing as a 3 day lift pass for season start is £150
snow conditions
@nahdendee, it's a 400m walk up a gentle hill, but if you prefer not to do that then taxis will be circling like vultures. They have to go around to get there, as the central part is pedestrianised.
ski holidays
@nahdendee, should they not be swarming here is the number of taxi 6620, +43 6541 6620, you could pre book to meet your bus.

One thing about Saalbach is a bounty of taxis Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
swskier wrote:
Finally got round to booking flights and hire car this morning. Apartment has been booked for months. Countdown is on Very Happy snowHead

this mornings task was to suss out travel arrangements as booked initial hotel a while ago ,will be driving, just got to decide wether to go out a day early and overnight en route near the austrian border( to gain the day/part day ) or do it in the day and arrive in the evening with the option of extending our stay , either way aiming for 8 days minimum skiing albeit one may be only 1/2 a day, but am in the fortunate position that can extend by a few days if conditions allow.Interestingly ferry is within a few pounds of last year and living where we do it makes little difference in time or cost from leaving home wether we overnight near an airport and fly or overnight on the hull rotterdam ferry.So atm subject to discussions with mrs sff my plan is to get to saalbach on 5th march with a week 1/2 board booked and take it from there, cant wait
snow report
@@nahdendee, Don't get off at the Tourist Office bus stop! It is a long schlepp across the meadow and up the hill with ski gear and suitcases. Just stay on the bus for another 300m to the Schattberg Xpress bus stop and get a taxi from the taxi rank there (which is right behind the bus stop).
snow report
quinton wrote:
@@nahdendee, Don't get off at the Tourist Office bus stop! It is a long schlepp across the meadow and up the hill with ski gear and suitcases. Just stay on the bus for another 300m to the Schattberg Xpress bus stop and get a taxi from the taxi rank there (which is right behind the bus stop).

@quinton

Thanks, that very useful to know
snow report
Been thinking about mountain restaurants that offer or are fully self service and need the collective knowledge to review and add to the list.

Wildenkarhütte, the self service area offers the best views, walk through the restaurant, they do offer table service in this bit, the self service counter is on the right immediately by the door.

Seidlalm

Breitfussalm

Ellmaualm, fully self service

Rosswaldhütte, not sure if they still offer self service?

Lärchfilzhochalm ,

Libergalm, fully self service.

Who have I missed?
snow conditions
Hi,

This thread is great!

My adult son and I will be in Saalbach for the week starting March 4th. We are flying in to Munich and would like to do the resort transfer by train.

I have looked at the options and would like go through Kitz, Feiberbrunn and Leogang rather than the Salzsburg route on the way to Zell. Coming back I am open to the Salzburg route, as long as we arrive back at the Munich airport with plenty of time to enjoy some Hofbrau, pretzels, schnitzel and dumplings Very Happy

I haven't travelled by rail in Europe since the 80's so I would welcome some advice. Specifically when and how to book, how is luggage dealt with, food on the train......

I would also assume the transfer from Zell to our Saalbach accomodation is possible by taxi or by bus and then taxi?

I am so looking forward to being back in Europe (and Austria) again. It's been too long!
snow conditions
@xtr, getting the train from Munich airport to the resorts in Austria is straight forward but a bit slow. First of all you need to get an S bahn (metro) from the airport to either the Hauptbahnhof (main train station) or Ostbahnhof (Munich East). It doesnt make much difference which but the Hauptbahnhof has more facilities in terms of food etc. The trains that go to Zell leave from Wörgl in Austria. There are direct trains from Munich to Wörgl but they only go every two hours. There are also hourly regional trains but you will have to change in Kufstein, which is a bit of a pain, especially with luggage. You should be able to book tickets all the way from Munich airport to Zell either with Deutsche Bahn https://www.bahn.de/ or Austrian railways https://www.oebb.at/en/ . If you take the direct train from Munich to Wörgl I would strongly recommend booking first class as the long distance trains can get very busy, if not first class you will need seat reservations. It might be worth getting Eurorail passes (believe you can get first class ones) but i dont know much about them.

A couple of beer drinking tips for Munich and Salzburg. Whilst there is nothing wrong with the Hofbräuhaus (Hofbräu beer is perfectly good) I would suggest you try one of the Augustiner establishments. The Bräustuben that is part of the brewery is excellent (and cheap) but busy, the Ausgustinerkeller has a huge beer garden (not likely to be much use in March) but plenty of space inside too and there is a fair sized beer hall on the main shopping street. Also not far from Marienplatz on Tal is the Schneiderbräu and opposite Tegernseer am Tal. In Salzburg there is a very nice beer hall also called Augustiner but no connection with the Munich Augustiner, well worth a vist.
ski holidays
@xtr, take a look at https://www.oebb.at/en/tickets-kundenkarten for train details including timetables and tickets. Depending on route and time of day, the journey is 3:10 to 4:00 with 2 or 3 changes. Luggage is your problem - from my experience, in Austria major connecting trains are on adjoining platforms, doors aligned, waiting for passengers to move between them. It won't involve dragging everything half a mile across the station. Food is usually available on the intercity (EC) trains, but I wouldn't rely on it.

You can add an interim stop to force routing via Kitzbuhel.

From Zell, there's a bus to Saalbach which is frequent and reliable. Taxi is easier if your accommodation is not on the bus route, as otherwise you'll be walking anyway or getting a taxi for the last half mile.
snow report
@xtr,

If you arriving early in Munich, then Flix bus is about £10 each to Salzburg - which is cheaper than getting from Munich Airport to Munich OST.
Stop being fussy about how you get to the resort. You are looking at 3hrs from Munich at best.
You want to extend that time by using regional trains?

Augestiner is by far the best Munich brewery
The Snitzel in Munich airport is not very good
snow conditions
Hi Guys,

Two of our party of 7 have had to cancel for the 26/12-2/1 in Saalbach. If anyone is interested in some very reasonable accommodation within a 10 minute walk of town centre. 5 people travelling from Ireland. Love to ski and apres ski
ski holidays
Hi all, any recommendations for private transfers (family of 4) from Salzburg Airport to Saalbach please?
snow report
@pctaylor,
This should help, from page 2 of this thread, Gasteintaxi operate the shuttle service to Saalbach as well as private transfers, https://www.austriatransfer.com/en/services/beschreibung

radar wrote:
Transfers

Holiday Shuttle have confirmed that there will not be any service this winter, they plan to resume in December 2023

There will be a shared shuttle service run by Rudigier Reisen also know as Austrian Transfers and Gastein Taxi, we used them last March and they were fine, you pay the driver when you get on the transfer, they work differently to Holiday Shuttle and so is their pricing, if there is one of you its €100 each way if its two of you it's €120 each way (so €60 each person), if there are three or more of you then it makes sense to have a private transfer, the pricing was confirmed by email to me.

Use this link to book the shared shuttle or a private transfer https://www.gasteintaxi.com/en/services/airport-transfer/#

There are other Saalbach based taxi companies, prices taken from their website :
Taxi 52 $170 for 1 to 4 people
Taxi Rainer, no prices
Taxi 6620, no prices
Royal taxi, €160 for 1 to 4 people
Taxi Riepler, no prices.

@ribblevalleyblue, had to sort flights and transfer for my daughter so contacted them direct, also mentioned to them that 60 was Ok but 100 wasn't.
snow conditions
@pctaylor, we have just booked the following Salzburg taxi company for our Jan trip, used them for many years.

https://salzburgtaxi.eu/

€200 for 3 of us one way, same price for 4 just checked, that’s for an 8 seater Renault van, we got a car with them last year for 3 of us and paid €180, but was a bit tight with 3 suitcases and 2 snowboard bags , so have gone for the van this year. I will be charging the blinking boarders the extra , as I hire skis!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy