Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2022/23 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
biddpyat wrote:
Hi folks, 26 pages is too much for me to read, however we are thinking of the ski circus for next January, and my question is if I stayed in zell am see do we have to drive to saalbach to actually get onto the other three areas, or is there a way to ski to it? It looks like there is a lift connecting Saalbach to zell, which would mean the area would be more opened up to us. I know you need to drive to one of the areas, but we will have a car. All four of us will ski anything that is put in our way. Hate crowded blues though,

My take on this is stay in saalbach and ski the whole area and beyond if at all possible and just take an odd day trip to zell am see if you must either by lift, bus ,taxi,or drive as an excursion . Years ago I went to zell and it put me off the eastern austrian alps for a quarter of a century , biggest mistake of my skiing life .Saalbach is simply brilliant for an all round ski holiday ,we have never been disappointed in the last 12 or so years other than covid when we couldnt go. Just wish id found saalbach earlier, wasted years in other places all good in their own way but nowhere near
the experience of a holiday in saalbach there again each to their own
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
FWIW having stayed in Zell, Hinterglemm and Fieberbrunn I think I'd probably choose Hinterglemm / Saalbach also. I didn't really like Zell or the skiing above it. Too much like a Victorian spa resort for me, with all that brings with it.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
biddpyat wrote:
Hi folks, 26 pages is too much for me to read, however we are thinking of the ski circus for next January, and my question is if I stayed in zell am see do we have to drive to saalbach to actually get onto the other three areas, or is there a way to ski to it? It looks like there is a lift connecting Saalbach to zell, which would mean the area would be more opened up to us. I know you need to drive to one of the areas, but we will have a car. All four of us will ski anything that is put in our way. Hate crowded blues though,

There is a lift down from Zell and then it's a short bus ride to the gondola into the wider ski area. Coming back if piste 168 is open (plenty of chat about that on the thread) you can ski back to the gondola to take you back to zell. If it's not open it's a bus back to it. You can also ski down from zell to Saalbach but I've never done it so can't comment.

I've stayed in Saalbach and Zell and although they were very different holidays I much prefer Saalbach as a ski area and area to stay in (visited 2020,2022 and 2023 and will be back next year). I'm mid 30s who skis with his wife and no kids. Our Zell trip was with wider family including kids and non skiers and the bigger town and lake worked well for those less focused on all day on the mountain.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@biddpyat, my question is why do you want to stay in Zell and ski the Ski Circus , might as well stay in Saalbach.

Skiing over Zell, you can ski part of the way, then gondola down to Viehoffen , or if the conditions are right then you can take a ski route down, with both options you then take the ski bus to the Schonleiten bahn to access the ski circus, either by taking the gondola up or switching to another ski bus.

Returning to Zell, you need to get the bus from the Schoneleiten bahn to Viehofen and then the gondola up to Zell, to do this you need to ski down 2b, or if lucky ski down 168 which isn’t always open, there is hope that it may have snow cannons next season, or you take ski bus.

You can also take the 680 bus from Zell to Saalbach, you will have to pay a few euros for the fare.

As you will have a car you could drive to the Schoneleiten car park , but get there early on Friday and the weekend.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@radar, no reason really, except I was searching airnb and found a nice appartment close to a lift, but I decided to ask here rather than stay in an area and kick myself for not staying in saalbach itself. If it was all connected it wouldn't make a difference, but if not then Saalbach is the best place for us, and drive to kaprun and Zell if we want to check them out for a few hours. I have now decided that Saalbach is indeed a better area, to get on the circus itself. SH is a great place for those niggly little decisions,.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@biddpyat, glad it helped you can always go over to Zell from Saalbach Very Happy

We will do it one day!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@biddpyat, Private message me with your email address if you would like a copy of my comprehensive, 20 page guide to Saalbach and the Ski Circus.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi All,

We are looking at hotels for this season and have a 7 year old who we will book into ski school (has been in ski school elsewhere before). Ideally we would like a hotel close to the ski school meeting point.

Do any of you know where the ski schools meet in both Saalbach and Hinterglemm?

Thank you.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
In Hinterglemm my kids used to meet their instructor near Unterschwarzacbahn
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Rumo75, depends on the ski school. In Hinterglemm there are options which meet at the Ubahn (Snow&Fun), Zwolferkogel (Activ), and Reiterkogel (can't remember which one at the moment). In Saalbach, either at Turmweise or Bernkogel.

I'd choose a hotel based on facilities and price, and then go to the nearest.

As an example, friends have stayed at https://www.ellmauhof.at/en/ - it's on the edge of town, quiet, top facilities, and you can ski from the door to a T-bar to reach the Ubahn and can ski back to the door from the floodlit run past the top of the T-bar. The T-bar serves a short slope which is ideal for warmups and quiet practice - we used to do 3-4 runs on there each morning before heading to ski school.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Rumo75, for Saalbach as ousekjar has mentioned the schools meet at the Bernkogel cable car or by the Turm 6-seater .

Fürstauer In Saalbach also have their own area near the Schatberg Xpress, thought if they have skied before then it’s unlikely they will go there.

In terms of hotels there is the Eva Village (not the Eva Garden), the Panther, pension Wallener, Das Neuhaus, which would put you midway between meeting points. There is a lift along from the Eva through the car park which brings you out right by the meeting point at the Turm 6 chair.

If you want a group lessons not every ski school was offering them last season, Fürstauer certainly were.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think that Furstauer is the only ski school in Saalbach that offers group lessons.
The Hotels Kohlmais, Kristiana and Kendler are also good and well located. And fellow Snowheads have in the past recommended the König (which is probably considerably less expensive).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Having had the grand kids in saalbach reckon the hotel choice is lets say limited for most unless you are the lucky lad who won the euro millions last night, the eva or the nuehaus are possibly not the best choice for kids in terms of price though both very good if cost isnt the overriding issue. Though neither would be my choice for kids , the new panther (crystal) wallener diy as radar says plus the peter diy are ideally situated as are others, there are several on the road below and between saalbach and hinterglem that are more family oriented but its a faff getting the kids to ski school in the morning , reckon hinterglem is more suited to kids . My own experience of the kohlmais was ok but wouldnt rush to go back even though ideally situated .
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We have made plans to visit saalbach in a couple of weeks time to see the town and the alps in summer as weve never done it before on our way along our own version of the grand tour, looking forward to our visit
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@ski for fun, it has a different feel in summer more relaxed, the usual places are open, head to the lake at Zell and spend some time at the beach Strandbad Thumersbach. If you are into ice cream then visit Missi Alpen eis in Saalfanden, amazing flavours.

The tourist office has lots of walks and a walking map or you can download onto Komoot or Outdoor Active.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sun 4-06-23 19:00; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@Rumo75, thinking about @ski for fun, said about child friendly, the Eva Village does have a pool, Peter Hotel is relaxed (classic austrian) and he (Peter) puts on a magic show on Friday, in the restaurant, non residents can eat there too they do steak on a hot stone, which is quite good and great value.

You could look Die Sonne, it brands itself as a family hotel but is a way out of town but does have it’s own shuttle mini buses which run up to 5pm. Ski &fun ski school also collect, though they weren’t doing group lessons last season.
snow report
@ski for fun, “ My own experience of the kohlmais was ok but wouldnt rush to go back even though ideally situated.”

Have you seen what they’ve done to it in the last year? It’s like a different hotel.
That’s the problem with commenting on hotels. Unless it’s based on recent experience, the feedback might not be fair or accurate. One hotel mentioned in previous comments (I won’t say which one) was reported to me, by a couple of friends who stayed there in the 2021/22 ski season, as serving the worst hotel food they’d ever experienced. However, for all I know they might have had a temporary problem (maybe the chef was ill, or they had Covid-related staffing problems).
Apartments and dining out may be a safer bet wink Laughing
latest report
Hi All, Thanks for all the insight. It’s very much appreciated!!
snow conditions
Hi guys, I'm looking into a trip to Saalbach next January. Either 13th-20th or 20th-27th. My group goes mid-late Jan as it's the best time for us all to get time of work; we've been to Mayrhofen the past two years and loved it but we're looking for a change. How is Saalbach for snow quality and apres in January?

I'm looking at the Bergzeit apartments at the base of the practice slope in Saalbach, looks very modern, anyone stayed there before?
latest report
@Turpin, “ How is Saalbach for snow quality and apres in January?”

Usually excellent, but obviously weather and snow could be anything between Arctic and Mediterranean, like most Alpine resorts. I’ve known waist-deep powder, and springlike conditions in January. On the whole though it’s pretty safe, and the middle of January has been one of my favourite times to ski in Saalbach (the other favourite times being the middle of December, the middle of March, and the first week of April).

It’s quite a step up from Mayrhofen - bigger and better linked ski area, plenty of slopeside accommodation with five main pistes all bringing you back to the village, and even to the door of your accommodation if you choose wisely, the highest number of gondola cable cars of any ski area in the world, and the fastest lift system in the world. Also probably better après-ski (although it’s a long time since I’ve been to Mayrhofen).

I’ve never heard of the Bergzeit apartments, and your link took me to an online clothing store.
ski holidays
@Turpin, totally agree with @tatmanstours, we are there mid January and even this year was good.

@tatmanstoursthink the link is wrong, I got camping gear, https://www.commonvisual.com/vermietung/aparthotel-saalbach-bergzeit-appartements-376198.html , We walked past these on the way back from the tourist office in March they are down the nursery slope from you, might even be their first season, they are by the Ski Fun office

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 10-06-23 7:39; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
radar wrote:
@Turpin, totally agree with @tatmanstours, we are there mid January and even this year was good.

@tatmanstoursthink the link is wrong, I got campaign gear Laughing https://www.commonvisual.com/vermietung/aparthotel-saalbach-bergzeit-appartements-376198.html , We walked past these on the way back from the tourist office in March they are down the nursery slope from you, might even be their first season, they are by the Ski Fun office
snow conditions
Thanks for the info and your email, you do a fine job of selling the resort! It does look to have a much bigger ski area than Mayrhofen and hopefully well suited to my lower-intermediate group. I'll have a read of your email and come back with any questions, thanks!

tatmanstours wrote:

I’ve never heard of the Bergzeit apartments, and your link took me to an online clothing store.

Strange, I didn't add the link! These are the apartments, it looks like they're below the practice slope so technically it's ski to door?
https://www.commonvisual.com/en/rentals/aparthotel-saalbach-bergzeit-appartements-376198.html
ski holidays
Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but can anyone recommend a good friendly ski school for kids (ages 4, 6, Cool in Saalbach? I've just planned a trip for next Feb. We were in serfaus last year and the ski school quality was amazing- the ski instructors were easy going, but still very attentive and my older kids had a fabulous time. The year before we were in Les Arcs and had a less than optimal time with the ski schools- according to my 6year old at the time, the ski instructor essentially just ' dragged her around on skis' and didn't really take any time build rapport with them. ( atlhough I'm not sure if that's just a difference between the Austrian and French approaches to teaching kids how to ski?)

I have found 'Skill' ski school ( https://www.skill.at/) after a quick search on the saallbach website...does anyone have experience with this company's ski school? I'd book both my kids in for lessons,but also a quick private lesson for myself. ( I'm a reaonably experienced skiier, but could use some pointers!)
latest report
@Skifamily, you are in the right place, I haven’t any knowledge on skill, something to consider when picking a school is where your hotel is located and where the school meets, skill are in Hinterglem they do offer a shuttle service, though if you are staying in Saalbach then there is http://www.skischule-saalbach.at/en/ , I haven’t used them but some friends did last year and were pleased.
latest report
radar wrote:
@Skifamily, you are in the right place, I haven’t any knowledge on skill, something to consider when picking a school is where your hotel is located and where the school meets, skill are in Hinterglem they do offer a shuttle service, though if you are staying in Saalbach then there is http://www.skischule-saalbach.at/en/ , I haven’t used them but some friends did last year and were pleased.

Thanks so much for the suggestion of the ski school in Saalbach, I'm actually a bit nervous of booking there after the horrible review I saw about it on another snowhead post.

Yup but I totally see your point about booking something locally! I'll see if there's any plausible way to schlep the kids across to Hinterglemm. the shuttle service might just be an option, or at least I hope so!
ski holidays
@Skifamily, there aren’t many ski schools offering group lessons, I’ve heard good things about Easyski but they no longer do groups https://www.easyski.at/en/

Where are you staying?
snow report
radar wrote:
@Skifamily, there aren’t many ski schools offering group lessons, I’ve heard good things about Easyski but they no longer do groups https://www.easyski.at/en/

Where are you staying?

We're staying at the avenida mountain lodges saalbach. The hotel apparently has a shuttle to the Saalbach gondolas...so just trying to figure out if/how we could easily get our kids over to Hinterglemm. Hopefully Skill might have the ioption of collecting the kids from somewhere in Saalbach. otherwise we might have to look into renting a car for the week.... Skill also looks better for us interms of morning start times and also they offer half day option for our 4 year old. Good to know about Easyski, that might be a good option for myself!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Skifamily, that’s a long way from Hinterglemm, the apartments are before you get to Saalbach, not sure if there’s a bus stop nearby, will look later this afternoon when I go past it.

You might want to check where the apartment shuttle stops.

There is https://skischule.com they do pick up as well.

I’m assuming you won’t have a car.
snow conditions
@Skifamily, am I missing something? Why not just book with the biggest ski school in Saalbach, who also do group lessons: Furstauer?
ski holidays
@Skifamily, put our kids through furstauer/Saalbach ski school last year and have only good things to say about them (I’m an instructor myself, so hopefully a reasonable judge!). My boys had a great time and I’d certainly not be schlepping over to hinterglemm…..
latest report
@Skifamily, there is a bus stop right by the hotel called Saalbach Rauchenbach the stop for Skill is Hinterglemm Wiesenegg, then it’s a three , four minute walk to their ski shop/ school they use a nursery slope nearby.

I would expect the apartment bus to take you to the key lift stations (Schattberg, Schönleiten , Kholmais ,Zwolferkogel)

The ski bus runs every 20 minutes and would take around 15/20 minutes to get to the shop/school, they use a nursery slope nearby but as you children have skied before there might be a different meeting point.

Totally get that for their age you want to get it right
ski holidays
tatmanstours wrote:
@Skifamily, am I missing something? Why not just book with the biggest ski school in Saalbach, who also do group lessons: Furstauer?

A couple of reasons really- Skill have a later start time in the morning (10am), and offer morning sessions for 3/4 year olds. I don't think the Saalbach school offers that, but I should definitley double check. I also read a really poor review of Furstauer it on another snowheads post, which has really put me off, especially since our kids are so young. So I supoose I'm really concerned to get it 'right'.
latest report
gilo wrote:
@Skifamily, put our kids through furstauer/Saalbach ski school last year and have only good things to say about them (I’m an instructor myself, so hopefully a reasonable judge!). My boys had a great time and I’d certainly not be schlepping over to hinterglemm…..

Ahhh that's so good to know! thanks, perhaps I should take a closer look at them then as a ski school option Smile
snow report
radar wrote:
@Skifamily, there is a bus stop right by the hotel called Saalbach Rauchenbach the stop for Skill is Hinterglemm Wiesenegg, then it’s a three , four minute walk to their ski shop/ school they use a nursery slope nearby.

I would expect the apartment bus to take you to the key lift stations (Schattberg, Schönleiten , Kholmais ,Zwolferkogel)

The ski bus runs every 20 minutes and would take around 15/20 minutes to get to the shop/school, they use a nursery slope nearby but as you children have skied before there might be a different meeting point.

Totally get that for their age you want to get it right

Yup it turns out that the hotel shuttle goes to each of the lift stations.
snow report
Thinking about the ski bus up to Hinterglemm it’s probably going to take a bit longer as everyone will get off at the Schattberg and you will probably stop at every stop between the apartments and Hinterglemm.
snow conditions
@Skifamily, coincidentally we went up by bus to Hinterglem and actually what you are thinking of isn’t totally left field, as the bus stops from the hotel to Skill are close by, it would be worth checking where you would need to drop your children off it’s probably a five minute walk between A10 and A12 and I can understand the attraction of a 10am start.

Skills own bus goes as far as the Schattberg

If you are thinking of Furstauer check where the children will be skiing, they have their own nursery slope close to the Schattberg or it might be at the Kholmais which would allow you to use the apartment shuttle.
snow conditions
Had a short visit to saalbach a fortnight ago as a detour on our grand tour. Having never before been to the alps in the summer was a very pleasant relaxed visit, the mountains/scenery and area is just as wonderful without snow.
Thoughts are now turning to our winter ski trip and yet again it has taken less than a few seconds to rule out going elswhere at least for the main trip ( would love to go twice but !!!).This must be the earliest ive ever given thought to where to go or even looked at dates etc ( a sign of old age)however 1st/2nd week of march is favorite so just got to decide how to get there and where to stay .Its now only 33 weeks away, ho ho.
snow report
@ski for fun, if it makes any difference to your thinking (sorry if you already know this/ it is already above). The World Cup finals are in town from 16 to 24th March so I assume some prep will be going on around Zwolferkogel during 2nd week........
snow report
thanks was aware , though we would be aiming for 2nd for 10/11 days and could avoid the zwol area though looks like hotels are jacking their prices up in comparison to other years particularly from 9th
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy