Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt and Cervinia 2022-2023

Poster: A snowHead
As it stands from my reading of forecasts for Zermatt, at least it’s cold till the end of the month to let snow cannons top up heavily used runs. I'm hoping for a few spikes to appear at the end of Jan in the next couple of gfs runs, but hope is all it is. I would like a top up before we get there on the 4th
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
twoodwar wrote:
As it stands from my reading of forecasts for Zermatt, at least it’s cold till the end of the month to let snow cannons top up heavily used runs. I'm hoping for a few spikes to appear at the end of Jan in the next couple of gfs runs, but hope is all it is. I would like a top up before we get there on the 4th

Arriving the same day as you. Fingers crossed!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Everything closed today due to high winds, not looking promising for tomorrow.

Clear skys and very cold here -20.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
dklemm wrote:

I assume you mean on the Cervinia side? On the Zermatt side all lifts and pistes were open with the exception of Klein Matterhorn (and hence the link to Italy). It was really cold in the shade early on but as the sun rose it was glorious.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JohnMo wrote:
dklemm wrote:

I assume you mean on the Cervinia side? On the Zermatt side all lifts and pistes were open with the exception of Klein Matterhorn (and hence the link to Italy). It was really cold in the shade early on but as the sun rose it was glorious.

Yes sorry, Cervinia side all closed. Sad
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Run28,
https://www.matterhornparadise.ch/en/Information/Weather-wind-and-webcams/Weather

https://www.matterhornparadise.ch/en/Experience/Zermatt-ski-area/Ski-map?affiliate=1&ref=https://www.zermatt.ch=1&ref=https://www.zermatt.ch

A couple of useful websites for weather and lifts.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Anyone interested in the collapsed route through the Theodulpass from Cervinia, to Zermatt, Switzerland (which has been discussed elsewhere), the Cervinia lift company (they are responsible for that part of the link) have confirmed they will not be repairing it this winter season. They are “hopeful” about doing something in the summer.

Unless they put a more insurmountable barrier in place this is going to cause issues, particularly as we hit the busy half term month of February. Obviously, anyone going through the pass (Italy to Switzerland direction; the other way is still open) is breaking the lift company rules. There are already plenty doing it but there will be increasing numbers who don’t have significant mountain or skiing skills attempting to make it across.

NB, for anyone who has not read previous stuff on this: the link at Testa Grigia is still working fine in both directions.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As regards snow conditions, the pistes are in great condition. The snow storms over the last couple of weeks have made everything look very pretty and have been a welcome top up on the pistes. The (very!) cold conditions have kept it all very nice although I think everyone will be grateful for the slightly warmer (but still below average) temperatures coming along in a few days time.

It has been frustrating watching the radar images of the precipitation. The storms have been coming in from the west. Although we have got snow in each storm, we have been at the edge of the precipitation. Hence Verbier (where I ski a lot and am heading round to for next four days) which is only 25 miles away to the west as the crow flies has had significantly more snow than Zermatt. Hence Zermatt’s off piste is still pretty poor. I skied the Garten itinerary (the one from Furggsattel down to Furgg) yesterday. It is not open yet so I was doing it as an off piste route. I got some really nasty gouges in my new skis for my trouble as I skied over rocks just below the snow. There is not a single itinerary open yet. Looking out my window at what should be the cross country skiing course in Täsch, it too is not open.

There is not a lot of snow showing up in the projections for the near term. If you are coming to Zermatt and Cervinia and Valtournenche for piste skiing you should have a great time. If you want off piste (including itinerary) skiing you probably ought to be heading further west.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cervinia shut again for the day, due to winds.

I know these thing happen but there response is so poor. Valtournenche is open but limited public transport. Getting a reliable forecast is also impossible most sites reporting 5-10km/h with nothing reporting current conditions accurately.

T/O crystal also showing useless response and no help getting people to open areas, I don't mind paying but they just told me to find a bus timetable. Reps don't even show up to hotel until 5pm .

2nd visit to Cervinia but I don't think I'll return, 1 good day skiing out of 6 Sad
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Possible early Feb snow on latest gfs. I’m hoping it comes to fruition

snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@dklemm, https://www.cervinia.it/meteo is the Cervinia website with local forecasting.

I'm in Cervinia tomorrow evening with hire car, and if the lifts get closed on Monday I'll head over to Courmayeur (1 hour 30 mins away). However the local forecast has winds at 10/12 kmh so nowhere as bad as today at 25 kmh plus.

Otherwise this will be a week's Aosta Valley Ski-Drive. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Today's skiing in Cervinia/Valtournenche was all open lifts serving decent condition pistes. Visibility was flat light and overcast for the morning at about -9°C, but the clouds lifted early afternoon and there was uncrowded piste skiing Plateau Rosa, pancheron, and all of Valtournenche. Off piste is really a no-no. Mainly wind blown sastrugi with sharks swarming every where. Needs significant snow depths to improve the OP.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skimastaaah wrote:
@dklemm, https://www.cervinia.it/meteo is the Cervinia website with local forecasting.

I'm in Cervinia tomorrow evening with hire car, and if the lifts get closed on Monday I'll head over to Courmayeur (1 hour 30 mins away). However the local forecast has winds at 10/12 kmh so nowhere as bad as today at 25 kmh plus.

Otherwise this will be a week's Aosta Valley Ski-Drive. Toofy Grin

I think Pila is slightly closer (may be wrong) and very easy to get to. thats what we did in 2019. saved what would have otherwise been a lost day's skiing.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yeah Pila's the closest from recollection, and has a decent day's skiing in it

Also - not sure if this is still the case but last time I was there if you bought the local lift pass you get a free day elsewhere in one of the Aosta valley resorts if you buy a three day pass, or two if you buy a six day pass

If, however, you get the international pass you do not get this free day. They will also only give you a voucher for another pass and not a refund. So you get doubly screwed - you pay more for the pass and you have to buy another one after you drive down to Pila to ski

For this reason I always recommend that people get the local pass and upgrade for the given day they want to go into Zermatt

Not sure the above is still the case but worth checking out
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@8611, that was still the case last season.
snow conditions
Arriving on the 4th, first days skiing on the 5th, I’d be happy if this scenario played out!

snow conditions
Been great piste skiing in Cervinia this week, but off piste needs careful consideration as in the main its all windblown. Although parts of the ski area look busy, especially into Cervinia centre, the pistes are remarkably empty in a lot of places. Valtournenche had ski clubs race training, but that only sectioned off one piste, the rest were empty first thing, well prepared, and a pleasure to ski. Sunshiny days so far apart from Monday, cold but lovely skiing.
snow report
@skimastaaah, many thanks for the in resort update. I know from experience this is difficult to do when let’s face it, there are other things available!
ski holidays
Oh my. I'm going on 11-Feb, 5 adults and 4 kids (lessons booked). I looked at the wind annual monthly forecast and it doesn't seem to drop until March. Courmayeur might have to be a fall-back...
snow conditions
@Donostio, I did a day out to Courmayeur today. Great conditions, slightly busy in some places, otherwise virtually empty pistes to ski on. Ate at Chiecco's, very busy, but lovely meal. snowHead
snow conditions
After a long day I’ve finally made it to Zermatt and I’m sitting in the Brown Cow Pub.

Wasn’t sure if there would be any snow on the ground in the village but it looks very pretty.

Had a heart attack moment when my card wouldn’t work when checking in at the hotel. As if I didn’t already feel poor compared to most of the other people here … Did get some cash out but my bank would only let me withdraw 430chf.

Luckily I have an Ikon pass so 5 days of a ski pass is already paid for.

Lesson tomorrow with summit. Luckily at the top of Sunnega which is the closest lift to my hotel. I even get a special lift and tunnel to use from my hotel up on the hill. Fancy Very Happy

Hoping to do a trip over to Italy one day so hoping to find a good day day for that.
snow conditions
Have to say, beyond the probability of a small snow top up around Thursday this coming week, it appears that’s all the snow for two weeks. Packing my factor 40 and lip balm, for some sunny late lunches. It could be worse! Temps rising a bit but freeze thaw is the forecast, more reminiscent of March than early Feb
snow report
twoodwar wrote:
Have to say, beyond the probability of a small snow top up around Thursday this coming week, it appears that’s all the snow for two weeks. Packing my factor 40 and lip balm, for some sunny late lunches. It could be worse! Temps rising a bit but freeze thaw is the forecast, more reminiscent of March than early Feb

At this stage it seems like I might be skiing for two and a half weeks in late January / early February with no fresh snow at all. That’s about typical for my luck …
ski holidays
@twoodwar, Enjoy your lunches on sunny terraces. If you get over to Valtournenche head for the "Foyer des Guides" on the valley run No 1. Piste conditions very good with well prepared firm packed snow, but off piste very windblown showing plenty of rocks. Limited off piste in gullies where snow has got blown into. I was in Courmayeur on Friday which surprisingly had better piste and off piste snow conditions than Cervinia. Well worth the drive and included in the VdA pass.
ski holidays
@skimastaaah, thanks for this. We were in Cervinia last year, and had coffee at Foyer, never got to lunch though. We are back in Zermatt this year, and won’t be going over the top even for the first time. We are going to the very few runs we keep missing in Zermatt, and looking forward to reacquainting ourselves with the runs down from the new Kümme lift. Not been there since the avalanche took the old chair out a few years ago. Can’t wait. snowHead
snow report
twoodwar wrote:
looking forward to reacquainting ourselves with the runs down from the new Kümme lift. Not been there since the avalanche took the old chair out a few years ago. Can’t wait. snowHead

Unfortunately the only run open from Rothorn down to the first lift station at Kumme is the blue (the reds beyond that to Tuftern are open). The black and the red are still closed. I can’t understand why. The red is by far the nicest of the runs in my opinion. There seemed to be enough snow (particularly with the new snowmaking there). Perhaps they will get them open for the busier February month.
snow report
@JohnMo, ok many thanks, if we can go further down on the reds past the, what is now the first station, to the bottom one that will be great. Am I reading you correctly?
snow report
@twoodwar, Yes, skiing off Rothorn you reach the intermediate lift station (Kumme). You can choose to get back on the lift there (beginners on the blue should probably do so) or continue on down to the bottom of the lift at Tuftern. You can also ski past that and on to Parrullarve or even Zermatt.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I’m hoping to do the trip to Italy tomorrow. My hotel is near the Sunegga funicular station. Judging my the amount of time it took me to ski over to Trockener Steg this morning it might easier and quicker to catch a ski bus to that end of the resort if I want to ski over the border early in the day. Do I take the red or green bus?
latest report
Green
snow report
@Raven, green (in direction of Klein Matterhorn not Bahnhof).
snow report
@Raven, please let us know what the home runs are like, and pistes in General. I have 3 meals booked coming down from Furi. I want to be able to ski to the bus stop, - well nearly as I won’t be able to have enough speed. Is there decent cover that’s all? Thanks in anticipation
latest report
@JohnMo, cheers
snow report
Thanks everyone. Green bus it is. Fingers crossed the link is open.

@JohnMo, cover seems good overall though new snow would obviously be appreciated and also make everything look pretty. Compared to Les Arcs where I was last week the snow is in better condition with not many icy patches. Les Arcs also uses the artificial snow that feels like skiing on sand. Doesn’t really seem to be much of that here.

Did the run down from Sunegga to town today and was worried there might be some bare spots but it was fine. End of the run is only about 100 metres from my hotel so very useful.
ski holidays
@Raven, must be Cervo Raven, very nice! Good band on there this Sat if you are still there!
snow conditions
Any suggestions where to look for accomm in cervinia apart form booking.com? There isn’t much left on that for 1st week April
Skied there last Easter and loved it. Great weather and snow. Am nervous about the winds however …
latest report
twoodwar wrote:
@Raven, must be Cervo Raven, very nice! Good band on there this Sat if you are still there!

Bit above my budget I’m afraid! I’m at the much more modest Alpenroyal. Still great place to stay and wonderful location. Shares a lift and tunnel to town and Sunegga with the hotel across the road
ski holidays
@Raven, still very nice. Hard to find a poor hotel in Zermatt, the standards are so high they would be out of business. On a snow front, there isn’t any, but a warmish weekend followed by temperatures dropping next week to preserve the home runs.
latest report
@Snowysarah, Tripadvisor, Trivago, and they will give a wider range of providers including booking.com.
snow conditions
Didn’t get over to Italy today as the link didn’t open until around 11 am and I’d lost my Italy enthusiasm by then. Maybe tomorrow … I’m off to the Dolomites for the Birthday Bash next week so I’m not missing out on Italy.

On the plus side the bus was easy so I know what I’m doing now.

Runs and snow still seem to be holding up pretty well. Helps that the crowds seem fairly low (well when compared to Paradiski where I was last week at least). As much as everyone loves fresh snow I feel as though Zermatt wouldn’t be that much fun on a low vis day and high wind would shut most of the lifts.

Saw two fighter jets flying past the Matterhorn and over Zermatt this afternoon. Very Top Gun Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy