Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoraiz April 2024 - Getting Around

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Howdy all, first post on here.

Went to Morzine a few weeks back just in time for the massive dump of snow, but prior to going I was worried as most people were so I kept an eye on this wonderful website for weather reports and predictions; it was invaluable to keeping me sane before we travelled, so I decided I should join and make use of the wealth of experience available.

As per the subject title, we're considering Avoriaz next Easter (30th March - 5 April 2024). I've skied in-and-around Avoriaz, but never really taken my ski's off and wandered around. We're looking at a chalet in the Falaise area and my question is how easy is it to get around once your ski's are off, i.e. you've returned to your chalet to get ready to go out and eat and want to head back to the centre: are there designated paths to walk on, or do you just walk across the piste? Similarly, following apres ski drinks, we'd have to walk back to the chalet from wherever we were... is that easy, or we'd need to plan to end up drinking somewhere close by to the chalet?

For additional info, we would have 8 and 10 year old children with us, one of which is a moaning so-and-so when there's too much walking!

Thanking you kindly.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can't help with the details of Avoriaz, though when I was there it seemed rather small and self contained. To the extent that if my child moaned too much about walking on a ski holiday, I'd offer them the choice of being dragged around by the ankles instead Smile
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Can't help with the details of Avoriaz, though when I was there it seemed rather small and self contained. To the extent that if my child moaned too much about walking on a ski holiday, I'd offer them the choice of being dragged around by the ankles instead

Had to do that this year. Complained by the time his feet had left the chalet and he had to walk 100m to the Pleney lift in Morzine. Could have just left him I suppose.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sure someone will be along soon who knows the Falaise area (I don’t) but as noted above it’s on the whole pretty small and easy to walk around (on skis there is sometimes a bit of poling and rutted cat tracks etc depending on where you are staying) as the incline is pretty shallow. You aren’t walking on the piste per se. Can’t beat the convenience of it all! You can call the navette, horse and cart or for big groups/luggage the snowmobile but generally it’s easier to walk. With kids the age of yours it would be fine and I suspect probably less snow on the ground than last weekend when we had lots of crusted hard pack. But you never know your luck!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The short answer is you either walk or ski everywhere - with a few exceptions where there are public lifts/walkways through buildings.

I don't know the Falaise/Amara area at all but handy for the children's ski school meet area and a very short walk using the bridge over the Plateau->Prodains rat run and to the centre of 'town', right past the sledging area. Google suggests a 6min walk from Falaise to the Carrefour in the centre, so say 10min walking on snow.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@SpencerBoon,

As
@Mjit,

Its dead easy to get from Falaise to Ski School. There is a small Shepra shop if you needed anything at Falaise. Also restaurants and stuff up that way.

For the apartments at the back of the resort there is public escalators and elevators inside some of the buildings.

Falaise/Amara is where I would basemyself. Ive never actually stayed in Avoriaz but had a couple of evenings out up there as I used to live and work in Prodains.

Resort Map here. See the red lines which are publis escalators/elevators etc

https://fr.calameo.com/avoriaz/read/002827892871be4c28999

Falaise and Amara also easy to get to.from at the start of your holiday. Only a short distance from the Welcome Centre.

Amara, Transfer Vans can actually pull into car park and Amara has its own Pool.

Aquariaz is fun for the kids.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wonderful insight from all, thank you.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Make sure everyone has footwear with good soles - trainers can be very slippy. Ski poles help if it's icy. And you can get crampons to put on shoes - Amazon has lots.

We left one of our kids at home with cousins and grandparents when we went on a sailing holiday we didn't think she'd enjoy. But she was only 4. She's 40 in a few weeks. wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I first took my two at 8 and 5.5. I'd usually eagerly talk up the holiday ("upcoming adventure") before so they saw it as something positive.
But the first time we went to Andorra I didn't know the place, so chose an apartment "close to" the lift, according to the map. I didn't realise that "close to" actually meant 200m horizontally but also 200m vertically up the steep valley side, Booking.com maps don't show contour lines! So quite a trek, in ski boots, carrying skis and poles, up to the apartment at the end of an energetic day. There were times where we'd stop for a breather, or for a hot chocolate in the liftside cafe before preparing ourselves for the final bit of alpinism at the end of the day. At that age, in those conditions, I thought a few tears were quite acceptable.
Since then I haven't made the same mistake, and have also learned where the lockers are by the ski lift Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
My advice is get kids to be responsible for their own kit as soon as you possibly can. If they get even a whiff that you will go soft on them, all is lost. I have 4, and it is the youngest who has been the most challenging. Mostly as his elder siblings stepped in to help him at times, so he learnt that whinging works sometimes!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We've stayed in Amara 3 times and never experienced a problem getting around even during some heavy snow fall. It's a nice walk in to the main part where most of the bars and restaurants are situated. There are a couple of bars and restaurants in Amara but you'll want to spread your wings. It's all so compact it's really easy to get round.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

My advice is get kids to be responsible for their own kit as soon as you possibly can. If they get even a whiff that you will go soft on them, all is lost. I have 4, and it is the youngest who has been the most challenging. Mostly as his elder siblings stepped in to help him at times, so he learnt that whinging works sometimes!

Well that ship sailed this year. He walked around occasionally holding my poles, whilst I carried my ski's, his ski's, and his bloody helmet (it was too tight for him to wear). Anything for an easier, all be it, rather tiring life!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy