Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2022 / 2023

Poster: A snowHead
That was a pretty good day all round. Not the best day ever, but up there. Some photos to show the conditions:

latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@johnE, thanks for the old piste maps, fascinating. Yes, some of the terrain I was skiing was around the area that the Genepy and Varet pistes used to be located.

@Arctic Roll, I remember that day well. I was in touch with PG during the day to see if I could temporarily house some people in my apartment and with a couple of neighbours if they were stranded in Bourg. It was all a bit bonkers and I was pleased that I wasn't travelling that weekend. But the skiing was pretty good!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not my photo, but spotted on a local Facebook group from a couple of days ago...

The road from Vallandry to Arc 1800 is the Foret piste during the winter. This is what happens when you use satnav without engaging brain.

snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@rob@rar, Wasn't the barrier down?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@johnE, Do like looking at old piste maps and always keep a pristine copy for each trip I make. Oldest one I have is, I think, Kitzbuhel 1990 - first couple of times skiing I don't think I realised such things existed. My first visit to LA was 2000, and there's been a lot of change since then. This one takes it a whole load further in comparing then and now.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
johnE wrote:
@rob@rar, Wasn't the barrier down?
Not sure it was. Have to wonder how far they would have got with winter tyres and chains…
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar wrote:
red 27 wrote:
Minion1980 wrote:
What have they done to the Arpette?
Smartened it up
Also removed the bar so you can’t just order a drink inside, it’s now table service only (PITA and more expensive than it was). Speaking to friends today, they were turned away from the Arpette by a guy on the door when they said they only wanted a drink - “food service only”, which seemed a bit odd at 11.30am.

Oh right that does sound lame, I always liked to stop there for a coffee if I was in that sector in the morning, table service only does not sound good. Great photos dude, looks like you lucked out with some fresh Smile
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Fantastic bluebird day with amazing new snow and plenty of adventures!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The webcams on the Les Arcs website are all quite high up. Does anyone know of any webcams in other places that are in Les Arcs but low?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
There is a webcam for Montchavin just across the valley.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@thefatcontroller, try the livecams https://www.lesarcs.com/livecams 1600 and 1800 are good for assessing the conditions at resort level, though there is nothing for Villaroger and La Grange that I know of.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Layne, @johnE, Thanks both. I know of the La Plagne low ones, it would be nice if there was similar Les Arcs side...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quite a few runs, especially red not open. Does anyone know why?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looks like it's hammering down in 1600 and 1800 right now. Certainly looking a lot more wintery at station level than when I was there between Xmas and New Year.

Dave3, a lot of the steeper runs were bare down to rocks ten days ago, I suspect they need a bit more snow to cover the underlying terrain.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@dave_3, either ava risk or more likely as @shannyla, says need a bit more time to get full coverage.
ski holidays
Thanks
latest report
Day started quite well, with a little bit of high cloud and more fresh tracks. Mid-morning the cloud cover came in, and by mid-afternoon it's snowing quite heavily at resort level (1800m). I don't think the forecast is for a lot of snow, but a little top-up is always welcome. Piste conditions generally good, especially on the higher runs. Off-piste still a bit thin, especially on terrain which gets exposed to the wind, but enjoyable nevertheless.

snow report
@rob@rar, Nice to hear. My crew is incoming on Saturday.
snow conditions
@rob@rar, So where are these runs that you're doing? Looks amazing!
latest report
@viciousvulture, first photo is off-piste, traversing away from the Lanchette chair and dropping back in to Arc 2000. Second photo is at the top of the Comborciere lift, near the entrance to the Malgovert piste. Third photo is from my place in Arc 1800, where it is still snowing heavily:

http://youtube.com/v/D54ecmLIoK8
latest report
@rob@rar, Thanks! So can you still ski some of these runs even though they're closed. I notice Malgovert is closed
ski holidays
@viciousvulture, don't expect piste patrol, piste markers or lack of rocks and other unmarked "features" on malgovert and don't get lost too far east in the forest
snow report
viciousvulture wrote:
@rob@rar, Thanks! So can you still ski some of these runs even though they're closed. I notice Malgovert is closed
Lots of the photos I've posted this week have been taken off-piste, so they are not 'runs' in the sense of prepared pistes on the piste maps. It's just off-piste. In general you won't be stopped from skiing a closed piste, but you would need to make a personal assessment of whether it's a good idea or not. Sometimes I do, but often I don't as one of the main reasons for piste closure following snowfall is that the resort has not yet avalanche-secured the terrain above the piste. To ski those pistes would be, at best, a bit disrespectful of the important job that the pisteurs do, and potentially very hazardous. Having said that, in the first week of the season there were a few pistes which remained closed all week, for the simple reason that the resort was only partially open and the pisteurs hadn't yet opened the runs. After the fresh snow we had that week skiing those runs was wonderful. I've not skied Malgovert this season, my guess is that snow has been a bit marginal there, but I've seen a few skiers heading that way.
snow report
@rob@rar, Thanks for the information, you're clearly very knowledgeable. Having never done off piste before, it's something I'm quite keen to try out, hopefully in a safe way. Are there some easier area's you would recommend for this?
latest report
viciousvulture wrote:
Having never done off piste before, it's something I'm quite keen to try out, hopefully in a safe way. Are there some easier area's you would recommend for this?
No specific areas that I could recommend which are better than other terrain, but most people will get their first experience skiing off the side of a piste, preferably nothing too steep so a decent blue or a gentle red. If you are lucky enough to be in resort when fresh snow is forecast the best idea would be to book a lesson with a ski instructor, as early in the day as you can manage, and ask for an introduction to off-piste.
ski holidays
@viciousvulture, Also make sure you're insured - read your policy carefully
ski holidays
@viciousvulture, Even when Malgovert is open it can be challenging and feels very much like off piste. Along with Claire Blanc It was IMHO the hardest red run anywhere.
snow report
Much appreciated, excited to get out there!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
johnE wrote:
@viciousvulture, Even when Malgovert is open it can be challenging and feels very much like off piste. Along with Claire Blanc It was IMHO the hardest red run anywhere.

I think Malgovert is classed as a black these days? Agreed Claire Blanc is VERY daunting for a red.
latest report
azza2110 wrote:
johnE wrote:

I think Malgovert is classed as a black these days? Agreed Claire Blanc is VERY daunting for a red.
Malgovert is indeed a black run. Possibly the most intriguing marked run you could experience.
snow report
The snow we had yesterday was more than a dusting, but didn't add much depth to the snowbase. It did soften the off-piste a little, so that made for some nice turns just off the side. Further away from the pistes there's still nice snow to be enjoyed, and what seems to be in the forecast for next week is likely to completely reset the off-piste. That will be good as I did find myself on a steep pitch today with less than ideal snow. Got the heart rate up a bit higher than usual. Piste conditions generally good, although a bit polished here and there.

snow report
If the forecast is right, off piste may be back on track for the season.

My Mrs doesn't like off piste too much so if anyone wants to meet up for some skiing or boarding off piste next week, let me know.
ski holidays
@rob@rar, Loving the pictures, thank you snowHead
snow report
red 27 wrote:
@rob@rar, Loving the pictures, thank you snowHead
You’re welcome.
ski holidays
@rob@rar, glad to see you made it back to the 3 Saveurs!

For those of you who dont know, the final picture in Rob's set during the summer is a spectacular walking decent (or ascent if you're so "inclined"!) - starting out from Col de la Chal walk across the meadows keeping on relatively high tracks around the Aguille Grive, and then climb over the ridge, enter the gap and down into Peisey / Vallandry for lunch. Not for trainers - walking boots are a must.
But oh so worthwhile.
snow report
@Arctic Roll, they are very friendly there, and there are some nice views up to the Vanoise National park. Thanks for taking me there!
latest report
Quote:

starting out from Col de la Chal walk across the meadows keeping on relatively high tracks around the Aguille Grive

It's also a nice walk over the Aguille Grive. Judging by the number of people walking up from col de le Chal in the winter it is also a popular off piste route.
snow conditions
Yesterday was a beautiful day and I joined 6 friends to ski the Col de Chal. Really forgiving snow and lovely views. Today started with heavy snowfall at 1600 with skies clearing around 11am. The light is still variable but definitely improving.
ski holidays
Visibility very variable!
ski holidays
How's the piste conditions
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy