Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Swiss speed cameras and U.K. reg cars

Poster: A snowHead
I was flashed yesterday on the Swiss motorway near Lausanne in my U.K. car and wondering if I am likely to receive a penalty notice in the U.K. mail or stopped next time I cross the border in the same car? Was doing around 115kph in a 80 or 100 zone (not sure which, my bad) in the flow of cars in an area where the speed limit varies. Wondering if there is data sharing between CH and U.K.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
115kph in an 80 zone would be a huge fine and possibly suspended prison sentence. I got flashed at 80 in a 50 zone (it was in the middle of the countryside between 2 villages) and it was a 2+2 week prison sentence suspended for 3 years and around a 2000 CHF fine. I stayed out of Swissy for those 3 years.

I've no idea what you risk with UK plates.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
no help but a few years back I got email from hire car saying I was flashed at X time, X time I was on way to airport.

After a quick google I was praying I was in France, the Swiss system is not fixed it is a multiple of your daily salary rate, it can go quite high quickly
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Those canton Vaud cameras are a bu@@er, all over the place, deliberately sited where there's no obvious danger in order to maximise takings.

First, yes, they will follow up UK plates. There are decades-old agreements about this, but in the last twenty years or so they've had in place the technologies to pretty much automate the process. TBF I know that when I was driving here on UK plates before officially importing my car, back in 2001/2, they did _not_ follow up, as I was flashed quite a few times in that period. But I'm assured that they have been doing so for a long time now.

Fine amount? Yeah, a lot. For reference, compared with Davidof's experience, I was done for 92 in a 50 three or four years ago, total fines (they include additional court fees for severe offences not dealt with automatically) were around chf1500, and a three month ban. No mention of prison, but in principle there is a basic Swiss rule that you can always do prison time instead of paying the fine, so this might be what he's referring to.

So you're probably looking at a thousand or more and a ban (within Switzerland) if it was in an 80; if it was in a 100 limit then it will be something like chf150 (I had one of these in Vaud recently) with no licence or other implications, as it's not classed as a 'serious' offence and is dealt with by an administrative (i.e. not a criminal) process very much like a fixed penalty in the UK, but with the amount calculated based on the speed.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Jonny996, The 'multiple of daily salary' is not routinely applied, but is mainly used for high earners who would laugh at the trivial (for them) fines that most people would receive. Highest that I can remember was around a million Francs (here we go https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/driver-faces--1-000-000-speeding-fine/23091098).

But I can assure you from personal experience that this is not normally implemented.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Chaletbeauroc wrote:

So you're probably looking at a thousand or more and a ban (within Switzerland) if it was in an 80; if it was in a 100 limit then it will be something like chf150 (I had one of these in Vaud recently) with no licence or other implications, as it's not classed as a 'serious' offence and is dealt with by an administrative (i.e. not a criminal) process very much like a fixed penalty in the UK, but with the amount calculated based on the speed.

speeding tickets are the fines that just keep giving. I had to pay federal fines, cantonal fines (Geneva) and a fine to the transport ministry.

the suspended sentence made sure I didn't risk driving in Switzerland during the suspension term, it has just (after 10 years) dropped off my official records in Switzerland.

I feel a bit aggrieved as the spot was not dangerous and not clear that it was still 50kph and not the usual 80kph on country roads. Lesson learned, if it is not authorized it is against the law.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks a Swiss ban will be an inconvenience especially as we rent regularly in the Swiss side of GVA airport but at least there is a French option. We are in Swiss a lot in summer to access Morgins pools and Monthey from Châtel. Clearly massive impact on family for a moment of inattention by my part in a confusing section of motorway. I hope it was 100 speed zone based on the speed of traffic but I am doubtful as the speed limit alert on car dash board showed 80 but it’s not always accurate. What will be will be.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I hot flashed by a mobile unit a month ago and haven't heard anything yet.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've had a ticket for 6kmh over, first five discounted, so one kmh over, UK reg car in Geneva. Wasn't too heavy for that excess Toofy Grin 60chfs?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
@Jonny996, The 'multiple of daily salary' is not routinely applied, but is mainly used for high earners who would laugh at the trivial (for them) fines that most people would receive. Highest that I can remember was around a million Francs (here we go https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/driver-faces--1-000-000-speeding-fine/23091098).

But I can assure you from personal experience that this is not normally implemented.

it was for me, and I was on a paltry French salary. I had to send my tax return to the Swiss. It still increased the fine.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@davidof, Hmmm, it's been a while, so maybe they use it more now, or maybe specifically more for foreigners? Although I must admit that now you mention it my last 'serious' one did ask about my earnings, albeit with no proof required, but they definitely weren't used to calculate the fine, possibly because I think I put zero, given that it was before we started doing apartment rentals;-)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
@davidof, Hmmm, it's been a while, so maybe they use it more now, or maybe specifically more for foreigners? Although I must admit that now you mention it my last 'serious' one did ask about my earnings, albeit with no proof required, but they definitely weren't used to calculate the fine, possibly because I think I put zero, given that it was before we started doing apartment rentals;-)

I think I've binned the paperwork now. In fact the fine was 2015 so still on my official record for Switzerland until 2025. It was endless PITA for what in France would be a fine and a few points. Still them is the rules.

Reassuringly expensive, one could say.

The fine was more like 1000 CHF now I look but I also had

15 jours de prison avec 3 ans de sursis

15 jours de travail d'intérêt général avec 3 ans de sursis

une amende de 2 mois de salaire avec 3 ans de sursis

inscription sur le casier judiciare suisse federal pendant 10 ans

Rrestrictions liee au permis de travail, naturalisation

Of course the Cantons make some difference. All in all a massive pain.

My advice to anyone, Don't speed in Switzerland.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Slightly off topic but certainly indicative of punitive nature of Swiss authority.
Friends of friends fined for their motorhome being slightly over the prescribed weight.

Fine ran close to 20000chf...... frightening!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
is that a typo or was it 20K, that is madness & makes the hire from the French side even more even more appealing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mate got pulled on his motorbike for exceeding 80kph on a dual carriageway - they assessed his "wealth" on the spot and marched him off to a cashpoint to pay the fine there and then (I think about 800chf) - then reassessed & billed him for even more when he got home

He hasn't been back... Confused
latest report
@Jonny996, CH holds world record for speeing fines, arounf CHF 240,000 and the Ferrari ...
snow conditions
There is a plan to cut the speed limit on Swiss motorways to 60 kph, there will be some monster fines if that ever comes in.
snow report
Hmmm.. but it sounds as though it would be intended for periods of high traffic volume, like the variable limits on the M25.
latest report
They already do this in places, there's a Variable camera on a stretch up from Vevey towards Lausanne, for instance. It's normally a 120 limit, and TBH is very rarely anything else, but the couple of stretches coming up the hill before that, including a tunnel, are sometimes 100, sometimes 80.

60, IME, is only ever in really narrow roadwork sections, like where you're crossing the central reservation; more normally roadworks mean an 80 limit.
latest report
@Jonny996, no typo, near to 20k. Swiss nationals so presumably a wealth assessed
Punishment Eh oh!
ski holidays
Oh dear. I’ve been flashed and fined once and i’m so careful now for visa continuation purposes.

@davidof, where? As the papers are mainly full of the rising cost of olive oil crisis, and they vote on everything should cows have horns?, I can’t see that happening.
latest report
davidof wrote:

This is sound advice!!!

115km/h in an 80 zone got me a 3 month ban, large fine and 2yr suspended sentence that halted a citizenship application until the 2 years lapsed. In an 80 - 120 zone if you are more than 34km/h over (30 + the 4km/h margin applied) its an « infraction grave » and 3 month ban plus the big fine etc. In a 50 zone I think 24km/h or more over and you suffer the same consequences. Waze is helpful in CH as it shows the speed cameras.
ski holidays
Do I recall correctly that sat navs showing enforcement camera positions and warnings are also banned in CH.

I knew the fines were high and followed up but was not aware of the suspended sentences though.
snow report
I thought I'd posted earlier, maybe not. I think the Swiss record speeding fine is around CHF 240,000 and they took the car.

And in other news, a mate got flashed in a hire car in Bern and some months later two plods from the Met arrived on his doorstep in London with a warrant for an £800 quid fine ...
ski holidays
Why would the Met be getting involved in a civil matter?
snow conditions
@jafa, they were a bit embarrassed. But it's a criminal matter ...
latest report
BobinCH wrote:

Waze is helpful in CH as it shows the speed cameras.

Gilberts Fridge wrote:
Do I recall correctly that sat navs showing enforcement camera positions and warnings are also banned in CH.

Correct. Although how it would be enforced on an individual basis is another matter. Certainly some apps are slightly toned down within Switzerland, not just for cameras, but like google maps which will not show your current speed alongside the current limit, which I find annoying and stupid. But is it illegal to even have an app installed on your phone, if they can't prove you were using it? Well maybe, but I'll take the risk.

Waze gets around it by not specifying that it's a speed camera, just 'police ahead'. I don't really get on with Waze as a navigator, although I'm giving it another try to see if it's improved. But in any case even the best camera warning, which IMV is an app called CamSam, is never 100% up to date. I have once been caught out by a newly installed mobile camera.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 12-08-22 8:21; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@jafa, they were a bit embarrassed. But it's a criminal matter ...

I had a Swiss parking fine - car touching the white line of the bay - and the local Gendarmerie came around to my house to deliver it ! They thought it was hilarious. 40CHF + costs + cost to make the transfer to CH.

something on the 60kph limit. Still we may be limited at 110 or 120 in France from September.

https://www.bluewin.ch/fr/infos/suisse/autoroute-a-60-kmh-bonne-ou-mauvaise-idee--1297655.html

https://www.20min.ch/fr/story/bientot-des-limites-a-60-km-h-sur-les-autoroutes-614847600404

In France it has recently been admitted that the 80kph national speed limit was introduced to force people onto autoroutes to please the autoroute companies.

Top Suisse fines are:

679 000 € : 290 km/h en Mercedes SLS AMG (Suisse, 2010) https://www.info-luxe.com/une-amende-1-million-de-francs-suisse-pour-un-exces-de-vitesse-effectue-a-bord-mercedes-sls-amg/

and in second place

https://atlantico.fr/article/atlantico-light/un-millionnaire-suisse-condamne-a-202-000-euros-d-amende-pour-exces-de-vitesse

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 12-08-22 8:26; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davidof wrote:

In France it has recently been admitted that the 80kph national speed limit was introduced to force people onto autoroutes to please the autoroute companies.

I haven't seen that, but it's perhaps worth pointing out that in fact many rural roads are still 90kph limits, with posted signs to that effect. Was reminded yesterday driving up to our house in Alsace, quite a few such around here.
snow report
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
davidof wrote:

I haven't seen that, but it's perhaps worth pointing out that in fact many rural roads are still 90kph limits, with posted signs to that effect. Was reminded yesterday driving up to our house in Alsace, quite a few such around here.

They've gone back up to 90kph after the Yellow Vests revolt, it was one of the measures. Not in all departments though.
snow conditions
@davidof, Ah, so some good came out of the protests then. Maybe I shouldn't have been so hard on them.
latest report
Not easy to keep track of CH speed limits sometimes. We came over the border from Belfort and the road down to Biel/Bienne had so many changes from 120 to 100 to 80 that it was ridiculous, often two changes within 500m. Not helped by all the tunnels plus road works in places.

Just pick a speed limit and keep to it, 80 if necessary but the constant changing was painful.
snow report
I got done back in 1999 by the camera on the lake by Eaux vives where it goes from 60 to 50.
Didn't help that I was doing 84, trying to rush the hire car back to the station.
Even way back in 1999 the fine was 1010 Chf ( not means tested ).
I was told just to pay up as I had gotten off lightly getting just the one fine, as a colleague of mine had got a fine from the city of Geneva as well as the canton for a traffic offence.

@davidof,
Quote:

FIFY
Don't get caught speeding in Switzerland.

Obviously i do not heed my own doctrine as I got a cheeky 90CHF fixed penalty for doing 56 past the flower clock at the entrance to Parking Mont Blanc, but in the scheme of things thats just the price of 2 gin and tonics in the Kempinski.
latest report
under a new name wrote:
I thought I'd posted earlier, maybe not. I think the Swiss record speeding fine is around CHF 240,000 and they took the car.

And in other news, a mate got flashed in a hire car in Bern and some months later two plods from the Met arrived on his doorstep in London with a warrant for an £800 quid fine ...

The part about the Met dealing with this is absolute crap.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 16-08-22 7:51; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
No foreign nationals or government agencies can have access to DVLA. It is also the case that foreign fines are not enforceable here since Brexit. Well done Boris.
ski holidays
@nevis1003, you might think it's crap, but it happened.
ski holidays
nevis1003 wrote:
under a new name wrote:

under a new name stated that his mate was in a hire car, so the Swiss Government agency wouldn't need to contact DVLA, the hire company would have had the driver's details including name and UK address, which they will have passed on to the Swiss authorities when requested to do so. Presumably the foreign fine was before Brexit and so enforceable in the UK. So I think your statement about the Met being involved being crap may well be in error. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
@Alastair Pink, I'd have expected the hire company to have added a handling fee and hit the renter's credit card for the "new, improved" sum, thus bypassing all the bureaucracy and having 99% certainty of collection!
snow report
@Alastair Pink,
Quote:

your statement about the Met being involved being crap may well be in error

It quite certainly is. NB this is not a "friend of a friend" story. Happened to a close friend who absolutely would not make this "crap" up. An admittedly unfortunate chain of events led to it all becoming rather more serioius than anyone would want, includiing trial in Swiss (poss cantonal, maybe federal) criminial court and being convicted in absentia.
snow conditions
Alastair Pink wrote:
nevis1003 wrote:
under a new name wrote:

under a new name stated that his mate was in a hire car, so the Swiss Government agency wouldn't need to contact DVLA, the hire company would have had the driver's details including name and UK address, which they will have passed on to the Swiss authorities when requested to do so. Presumably the foreign fine was before Brexit and so enforceable in the UK. So I think your statement about the Met being involved being crap may well be in error. Madeye-Smiley

'
Its utter crap, I'm in that line of work.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy