Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 22/23 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Yes it’s notable that average 1500m (850hpa) temps are hugging the zero line right thru to end of run / nov. It’s rare to see such relatively tightly bunched ensembles so far into the unreliable. It’s also very rare to get a decent scandi high in November when the Atlantic is usually dominant, aided by a strengthening polar vortex.

But the vortex is showing signs of splitting higher up, with a little warming on the Asian side. All those rossby / eddie flux waves from twin pincher pac / scandi highs are interfering with the upper thermal gradient. Could lead to an early (Dec) SSW split, or useful displacement of PV lobe over to European side.

Anyway all that mumbo jumbo aside, the Atlantic is hitting a wall over the North Sea and disrupting energy SE. At the same time we have freezing air marching west under the high.

Here’s yesterday’s UKMO for next weekend

And todays 00z

Other models don’t have the same extent of cold undercutting but it’s good to see UKMO on the colder side as it’s usually more accurate.
Looking further out, it’s all about the scandi block limpet and how the Atlantic gets disrupted. As it can’t go thru or over, the jet stream will digger further south. Really could see an ideal set up as W to NW flow meets a cold continent, with med lows thrown in for good measure.

Here's ECM mean pressure anom for 19th....almost cross polar arctic high, pusihing lows into US / atlantic / west EU. Scandi high moving north, jet digging south

And GFS temp anomalies next 9 days across US....coming soon to a theatre near you?

Worst case would be the atlantic trough stays too far west, euro-scandi high shuts the door and we are back to sq 1....but not likely at the moment.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Some lower temperatures and some (slightly delayed) early season accumulation on the way. In the Alps the French Alps and nearby Swiss areas look like profiting most over the next week.

snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Excuse my ignorance, in theory do resorts with 100% snow cannon coverage need any natural snow to open if it is cold enough? ie a base layer? - Or could they just pump out enough to cover the slopes...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@nozawaonsen, Yep looks like the start of the base above 2000ms in the west .
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@geomar, providing temps are cold enough they don't need any natural snow. I've skied early season on entirely artificial white stripes and it was a lot of fun. A bit firm and grippy, but I've skied much nastier real snow at times.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Pretty good start to the week snow settling above 1500m and 15cm at 2200m. More forecast Tuesday night and Thursday…
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@BobinCH, do you have the URL for that depth monitor? Just booked some flights into GVA for 18th Dec.....

*edit* found it https://www.teleport.io/view?feedId=zrrxhkayanlbdg8zudsm
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
UKMO continues to drag the easterly cold air (and other models) further west....also better NW-SE alignment.....colder and snowier atlantic flow, some small differences even at 3-4 days out but it's steady progression

Snowline could be towards 1000m across most of the alps from weekend into early next week

And some Op runs for 22-23rd, the next battleground, although it's 8-9 days away these charts are in line with mean anomaly charts

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 14-11-22 18:01; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
geomar wrote:
Excuse my ignorance, in theory do resorts with 100% snow cannon coverage need any natural snow to open if it is cold enough? ie a base layer? - Or could they just pump out enough to cover the slopes...

Yes they can 'just pump it out' but once they have emptied their water reservoirs, what do they do then? What happens if the temperatures increase?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
some interesting sage/non scientific words here

https://henrysavalanchetalk.com/when-will-it-snow-will-it-be-cold-enough/
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Henry and his team generally worth listening to.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:
some interesting sage/non scientific words here
Indeed kitenski Laughing Not when opened on my phone!

"And brillig were the slithy toves..." Puzzled

ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I know nothing about weather, however the weatherman on tv blames the warm temperatures on the jet stream. Is this changed by global warming or is it something else?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Last 3 days in the Valais

More tomorrow and Sunday

Building up nicely
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@mountainaddict, yep that link isn't working anymore for me either, but I did skim thru it a few days ago.....didn't learn anything though, mostly just asking questions about if it will snow and will it be cold enough. Maybe I missed it but didn't see which part of the alps he was questioning. Clearly it is going to snow (already plenty above 2000) and it is going to get much colder everywhere. I guess websites like that and wepowder need to remain conservative as ultimately they are selling something....ad's, courses, books, merch. I rarely read any forecasting on those sites that isn't already 80% in the bag.

So we're at the 16th, which I've been looking at since the 8th Nov for the start of a pattern change. The GFS was definitely closest to the mark, in the 8-10 day range. I think the fact that it runs twice as often and almost twice as far as other models it will inevitably highlight more options in the unreliable time frames. But it is very good at sniffing changes in direction, the difficulty is knowing which ones are likely to work. In this case it was consistent over several days and eventually supported by ECM / GEM (regarding scandi high not sinking too much). But while it's useful at that range, it struggles more I believe with resolving blocking patterns as time draws in. Here it makes sense to focus on UKMO and ECM, as they have proven better accuracy in the 3-7 day range.

GFS still lagging behind other models in snow extent predictions....which is a bit unusual, as mostly it's one of the more 'overly eager' models for precipitation.
Link here showing 7 models precip totals out to next thursday, with GFS in the bottom 2. So let's go with ECM and 1m+ in the NW.

https://meteologix.com/fr/model-charts/euro/switzerland/accumulated-precipitation/20221124-1800z.html

22nd still looking good, 80% dans la poche.....temps a bit more marginal into next week as some slightly milder air tries to mix in (main trough too far west)....and a bit far away time wise for that detail just yet.
Decent consistency across the 3 means.

And looking even further out, not seeing a big change.....atlantic stuck, high pressure to NE, likely very wet Ire/UK....alps might get more marginal again unless atlantic ridge can build and lead to NW-SE flow instead of defaulting to SW-NE. Supporting that idea is a sign that AO and NAO are both heading negative.

edit...updated link above now has GFS 06z as the least snowiest out of the 7.... all of the others have over 1m in western parts......upgrade after upgrade keep rolling in
snow conditions
polo wrote:
Clearly it is going to snow (already plenty above 2000) and it is going to get much colder everywhere.

it needs to. I cycled back from work today at 7pm in shorts. The snow fell above 2000 meters yesterday but not much and melted up to 2300 during the day in the sun. Another warm day tomorrow in the French Norther Alps.
snow conditions
@davidof, it sounds very depressing Sad
snow conditions
Yes I did mention on the previous page there would be mild SW flow mixed in at the beginning of this snowy period. Temps will drop almost 10 degrees from a balmy 7c at 1500m lunch time today to -3 by Sunday and stay low to wed 23rd (although high snow line Monday). It will also be windy today in the NW alps, and with the air mass already feeling chilly (coming in my window) I’d be reaching for thermals under those shorts.

The real action should arrive mon-tues, hope your area does well, still looks like some places could get a meter plus, but let’s go with a more conservative wide area call of 50cm at 1800m and 25cm at 1200m (NW alps) will have fallen by mid week. GFS is starting to pull up its socks now as well so look on the bright side. I’ve been telling mates that Tuesday will be epic. Let’s see.
latest report
@polo, if this comes to pass, are you expecting enough for a spot of skin up/slide down meadow action up near Chavannes? Out in Morzine next weekend (25th) and a half day off from sorting the bike room out would be a welcome distraction!
ski holidays
@andy from embsay, yeah I’ll update on the PdS thread as week progresses. 10 days out is too far to call, and although ECM 00z has just rolled out showing a small Atlantic ridge forming I’d say it’s 50/50 right now whether it will be too warm below 1800m into next weekend.
latest report
The 50cm on Tuesday for Zillertal that was on the forecast when I went to bed last night is now 15cm… Sad

Anyway cold temps allow should allow the cannons to get going. It will be tight for a 3rd Dec opening.
snow conditions
Booked Val Thoren on the 10th to 17th December. Looking like it's going to be borderline but hoping doable... checking webcams 24/7!
ski holidays
userscott wrote:
Booked Val Thoren on the 10th to 17th December. Looking like it's going to be borderline but hoping doable... checking webcams 24/7!

Will you have students out then?
latest report
Kenzie wrote:
userscott wrote:

Will you have students out then?

No idea as to how busy or otherwise it will be, I've never been VT either... it's just always a good week for me and the boys and it's the day before the ski passes go into peak rates..! Hoping for a good time. Smile
snow report
userscott wrote:

every chance of a biggy rolling in between now and then.
ski holidays
Yup we’re out 10th to 17th Dec at Belle Plagne too. Hopefully the gamble will pay off
latest report
Snow down to 1500 meters here in Kitzbühel
snow report
Another nice top-up last night
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@BobinCH, nice!
ski holidays
Nice little reminder about the snowsharks ...
https://www.instagram.com/reel/ClFX2x7Dzlm/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY%3D
ski holidays
dkimble wrote:
@davidof, it sounds very depressing Sad

early days but clearly an exceptionally warm autumn this year.
snow conditions
Finally some lying snow in Tignes today - more updates from the experts please, only 2 weeks to go snowHead Will it get warm again and melt forcing me to walk to a lift?
ski holidays
@Dubmuffin, keep an eye on the specific Tignes thread and also the Steve Angus one

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=161226

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=82612
snow report
Quote:
Will it get warm again and melt forcing me to walk to a lift?
Where are you staying in resort Dubmuffin?
snow report
Verbier today

ski holidays
@mountainaddict, I'm going to the PSB so Taos at Le Lac

@kitenski, every resort should have one of these Very Happy
snow conditions
@kitenski, so that's what 6 inches looks like?
snow conditions
@Dubmuffin,
Quote:

, every resort should have one of these

Like Gnorm Toofy Grin
https://www.revelstokemountainresort.com/news/gnorm-the-powder-gnome/

http://youtube.com/v/CVc1bmz4d-c
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@kitenski, so that's what 6 inches looks like?

you wouldn't want to ski those slopes behind

As for the 15cm/6inches you can always use "tassement" as an excuse.
snow report
Quote:
I'm going to the PSB so Taos at Le Lac
It's looking good for Le Lac skiing access/egress Dubmuffin Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy