Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

No Summer Skiing in Tignes, Saas Fee - and Now Zermatt

Poster: A snowHead
Sadly a lot of great Saas-Fee runs no longer exist, I was lucky enough to ski many of them with local guides and instructors (even though being spotted doing it in a red suit was frowned upon for obvious reasons Toofy Grin)

This shot is from 2009, with local instructor Florence (in front are her brother and a guide). It's a view that is no longer possible from a glacier that no longer exists.....for most of the run you stuck to the centre compression ridge, then switched to the sides as the glacier crevased and broke up at the bottom.

Who knows, if Global Warming really kicks in and the Gulf Stream stops, Western Europe will become much wetter with colder winters and the glaciers will hopefully reform snowHead

latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
French mayor threatens €15,000 deposit to climb Mont Blanc
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
PowderAdict wrote:
Sadly a lot of great Saas-Fee runs no longer exist, I was lucky enough to ski many of them with local guides and instructors (even though being spotted doing it in a red suit was frowned upon for obvious reasons Toofy Grin)

This shot is from 2009, with local instructor Florence...

I didn't realise guides were wearing helmets 12 years ago. How time flies! rolling eyes
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Environmental groups are annoyed that LDA is snowmaking up on the glacier: https://pistehors.com/b1soeYIBFehy1ochfZmm/the-ice-man-cometh
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
the melting glaciers are starting to reveal their secrets......

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/aug/09/switzerlands-melting-glaciers-reveal-human-remains-and-plane-wreckage
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The old guard in Tignes know of quite a few bodies up on the Grande Motte, some may get to bury their old mates, when they thought it would be a hundred or so years before gravity revealed them.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Report (in French) about the Glacier 3000 ski area in Switzerland: https://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr/auvergne-rhone-alpes/un-col-enseveli-sous-la-glace-depuis-plus-de-2-000-ans-refait-surface-dans-les-alpes-suisses-2595172.html
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Alastair Pink wrote:
Report (in French) about the Glacier 3000 ski area in Switzerlandl

There was an article on that in English here.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-62689707
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
My Sister is in Saas-Fee this week for a walking/hiking holiday, and has provided some pictures of the absent Fee glacier.

30 years ago, pretty much everything that isn't grass, trees or vertical was glacier.

13 years ago I skied down the glacier to where the water fall and lake are now (see pictures above).

With this much exposed rock at altitude the remaining glacier will soon follow Sad

I guess the only upside is that once the melting glacier has stabilized it will open up a lot more freeride areas.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This summer was the hottest on record in Europe, according to data from EU satellite monitoring.

The Copernicus Climate Change Service said the data showed August in Europe was the warmest on record by "a substantial margin."

Globally, the researchers say August was the third warmest yet recorded.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I was out in Zermatt last week. Here's my report from the glacier:

http://youtube.com/v/AOSc5A0D-SU

Also this pic of tarpaulin on the glacier:
https://twitter.com/skipedia/status/1566439735480008706
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
No skiing on Dachstein glacier this autumn or winter. Sad https://planetski.eu/2022/09/15/dachstein-glacier-to-remain-shut-this-season-as-climate-change-takes-its-toll/
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Apparently summer skiing opened again today in Zermatt, - or Autumn skiing!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
PowderAdict wrote:
Who knows, if Global Warming really kicks in and the Gulf Stream stops, Western Europe will become much wetter with colder winters and the glaciers will hopefully reform snowHead

There will be so much snow and cold we will be sick of it, and the last thing we will need will be glaciers!
ski holidays
Alastair Pink wrote:
No skiing on Dachstein glacier this autumn or winter. Sad https://planetski.eu/2022/09/15/dachstein-glacier-to-remain-shut-this-season-as-climate-change-takes-its-toll/

Tignes will need a lot of snow to open in 4 weeks looking at the webcam.
snow conditions
Indeed... Tignes has no current plans to open the glacier for skiing in 4 weeks. Latest official announcement (see Tignes 21/22 thread) anticipates opening last weekend of November. Any earlier only if there is "exceptional autumn snowfall".
ski holidays
One of the glaciers on the Zugspitze is now officially no longer a glacier Sad
latest report
Quote:
Latest official announcement (see Tignes 21/22 thread) anticipates opening last weekend of November
That's an absolute shocker given that it's usual for Double M piste (ie the run back down to Tignes Val Claret) to be open by mid-November Shocked
ski holidays
Zermatt open again now as of a week ago. Looking more positive for their downhill races in a month
latest report
Looks to me like Tignes has removed 2 of the t-bars on the glacier.
snow report
Rob D wrote:
Looks to me like Tignes has removed 2 of the t-bars on the glacier.

It does indeed the huts are there but none of the equipment. When did that happen?

Termingon (sp) / 3500 still seems to be there but Champagny and Rosolin seem to be gone

(edited once for clarity)
snow report
If you look closely (sad I know) at the bottom of the VC webcam (mobile version) there looks to be parts of dissembled lift lying on the ground by the start of the Lanches. Perhaps the old drags.
snow conditions
Quote:
Termingon (sp) / 3500 still seems to be there but Champagny and Rosolin seem to be gone
The Tignes website page for this year's summer skiing (billed as June to July) showed the lifts as below - Rosolin but no Champagny.

As Rosolin was actually x2 draglifts, are both now gone? Confused If so, that's terrible as they served lovely gentle runs for not so confident skiers. Very popular lifts too.
latest report
@mountainaddict, I don't think they could remove one of the Rosolin drags and not the other, they used the same pylons.

Hopefully they are being serviced and maybe moved a bit on the glacier. A Rosolin lift is the way back from the XC tracks, as well as from the bottom of the downhill piste, it would be a bit much to expect the fondeurs to ski down to Vanoise.
latest report
Les Deux Alpes not opening at autumn half-term at all.
latest report
Saas-Fee is opening on the 29t Oct, but it doesn’t say what will be open, but I assume the Metro area for sure.
snow report
Fingers crossed that you are right re the Rosolin lifts rjs.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ski lots wrote:
If you look closely (sad I know) at the bottom of the VC webcam (mobile version) there looks to be parts of dissembled lift lying on the ground by the start of the Lanches. Perhaps the old drags.

Looks like workers hovering around this stuff today (2pm) on webcam. Also looks like a lot more stuff, definitely a poma!
latest report
mountainaddict wrote:

Word from the locals is both Rosolin and Champagny have gone…
snow report
twoodwar wrote:

Wow, that surprises me… I flew past on 23 Sept and it was looking in a shocking state… grey, grey and more grey (where it wasn’t rock or grass!!).
snow report
offpisteskiing wrote:
twoodwar wrote:

Wow, that surprises me… I flew past on 23 Sept and it was looking in a shocking state… grey, grey and more grey (where it wasn’t rock or grass!!).

The eastern alps (as usual) seem to have had a bit of snow. Dachstein looks ok at the mo although I wouldn't fancy touring on the glaciers much.

Whereas in Grenoble today temperatures in the high 20s. Mmmm cycling weather.
ski holidays
offpisteskiing wrote:
mountainaddict wrote:

Word from the locals is both Rosolin and Champagny have gone…

Didn't Champagny give access to 3500/Termigon without needing to use the cable car. Is this them accepting defeat on the shoulder seasons?
snow conditions
re Glacier drags, from people in Tignes:-
"Been removed and not being replaced, unfortunately the glacier is in a bad way so eventually everything will be removed gradually as the glacier ceases to exist"
"Further info to what's Sarah said. The lifts will not be replaced. Apparently they were installed originally before the glacier was designated part of the national park so they could keep them, maintain them but not replace them. Once they're taken down, under the parks rules, they can't be put back."
latest report
This is so sad. I had 2 great summers working on the glacier in the mid-80s
latest report
What purpose does the small chair now serve, if any? I thought it was to provide access to Champagny drag.
snow report
@stevew, The Panoramique chair gets you back to the bottom of the cable car, the restaurant and the top of the funicular.
ski holidays
Isn't it a bit of a slog uphill if you don't have Rosolin though?
latest report
@stevew, Rosolin doesn't make any difference to being able to lap using the cable car, you need to get the Panoramique up to do that. People may also want to get the Panoramique chair down to lap Leisse, or to ski face down to Vanoise, if there isn't enough snow cover to ski it.
snow report
Just seen an e mail from STGM to an enquiry from a buddy: Rosolin and Champagny have been removed permanently because of the retreat of the glacier and the appearance of rock bars. Future out of season skiing will rely on the chairs and Termignon, much reducing the are and uplift capacity.

The 2 extinct lifts had been reduced in length over the last few years but were expected to last till 2030. The lack of snow last year and the crazy hot summer have pickled that study. The lifts were taken out before they fell over!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy