Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Intense heel pain after skiing

Poster: A snowHead
So first day out in Austria in my new ski boots, normal liner packing in pain.

But as the day wore on, my heel felt like it was bruised, absolute agony to walk back to the hotel but then the pain eased, so I could walk to a restaurant.

Problem is I got woken up by quite intense pain radiating into my leg from my heel.

I can’t quite figure out how the boots have done this!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Do you feel the pain more "under", in the lower parts of the heel or back (i.e. closer to the achilles?)

If its the bottom of the heel that's the problem then my uneducated guess would be that it's some kind of nerve pain radiating up. If back, again I would guesstimate that something's rubbing your ligaments, which then radiate all the way up along said tendons and ligaments.

Problem is that if you've got some kind of an inflammatory thing going on, you don't want to subject your nerves/ligaments to the exact same external forces that got you there in the first place when the inflammation is there. But on the other hand I suppose you're not eager to miss several days of skiing now that you're on your trip.

I'm not a doctor but if I were in your boots, I would take it easy today, skip skiing altogether if the pain is intense. Get ibuprofen, both pills and cream, take the ibuprofen internally and apply externally (if you're not allergic). If there's a spa in your hotel or somewhere in the village, try steamroom/sauna (spend like 20 mins there to first really warm up and then very gently massage the area, skip this if touching leads to pain), then cold water, then sauna again. Stay well hydrated. And you could try a cold wrap, just lounging in the spa area with your foot wrapped in a towel and ice. And some more ibuprofen cream after that. For tomorrow, change something in the boots! Either rent different ones or get fitted for custom footbeds (there might be a sport shop that does BootDoc or similar insoles in the village).

The boots you have might be OK but you just have some teething problems. Just don't fight it now.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Look up Plantar Faciitis.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just been to Dr as was concerned by the pain at night, nothing broken but tenderness in heel so likely plantar fasciitis.

Given painkillers will take a day off today.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Obviously see a boot fitter, but I would also be thinking about planter fasciitis, which I have struggled with over the years. Actually, because I have a custom foot bed in my ski boots, my planter, fascitis actually seem to get better when in my boots. Are your calves very tight as that can be a contributing factor also.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Not sure about the PF diagnosis with pain in the night... Typical symptoms of PF would be pain in the morning when taking the first few steps as the PF has stiffened up over night.

Heel strike causes the pain associated with PF (ie walking). I've had it and skiing caused no problems as the PF isn't involved.

If you have got PF then you're looking at minimum 3 month rehab and that's with the correct stretching and strengthening regime.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Got custom footbeds, will give it a go tomorrow.
They are new boots so could pressure somewhere on the foot cause heel pain ie a tendon being aggravated?

Pain is better when walking and was worse in the morning.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
2planks wrote:

They are new boots so could pressure somewhere on the foot cause heel pain ie a tendon being aggravated?

I think something like this is more likely than PF

With PF you'll get pain as the heel hits the ground as you're walking. It doesn't hurt at any other time. The pain is on the underside of the foot where the front of the heel bone (ie nearest the toes) attaches to the plantar fascia tendon itself. The pain on walking will be worse after a period of inactivity and then may gradually ease with walking. This is because the PF stiffens up and shortens with inactivity and then when suddenly stretched again during those first few strides of walking, the tears and inflammation present are re-aggravated and this causes the pain. The most obvious period of inactivity is overnight (quiet at the back there) but after any period of sitting for an hour or so the pain will be present as you set off on those first few steps.

Good luck tomorrow! Perhaps do a few PF-related stretches tonight just in case (lots of info on the web). Hold the stretches for at least 30 seconds - it's a long time, use a stopwatch.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Loose boot and heel.

Tighten it up.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
2planks wrote:
Got custom footbeds, will give it a go tomorrow.

Where are the boots from?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
When I tighten the wrist spanner to much I get the same phenomina of pain in downer the heel prt - so after going easy on the wrist spanner that problem has disapeard.

There is nothing wrong with my heel, just the distribution of the pressure is wrong, when I tighten the wrist spanner to much. Had some of the heel thickness removed under the heel part of the foot bed - but it did not really help much until I went easy on the wrist spanner.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@2planks, sounds like nerve compression. Take boots to the fitter
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@2planks, How did it go today? Were you able to ski, happy with the new insoles?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sounds like either plantar fasciitis or heel bursitis’s. Stretch your calves loads and loads. Arch support if you can. Tape your heels will help whilst skiing (rock tape). I would say have boots a bit looser so more wiggle room. Anti inflammatories / pain killers.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sounds like either plantar fasciitis or heel bursitis’s. Stretch your calves loads and loads. Arch support if you can. Tape your heels will help whilst skiing (rock tape). I would say have boots a bit looser so more wiggle room. Anti inflammatories / pain killers.
latest report
To report back on this, I think what had happened was my heel/right side of foot was moving around as I neglected to tighten up the boot as much as was required.

After a day off it was much better and I spent more time tightening the boots as the day progressed.

All good until the last day when I got a weird cold, which turned out to be covid...
snow conditions
@2planks, happy to hear the pain went away!

When you're well again and when you find the time, I'd like to direct you towards the shop where you bought your new boots from just to check if the moving of the heel persists even with your new insoles. Without somebody being there physically with you, seeing what you do and hearing you describe what you feel it's quite hard to assess if you have excessive heel movement. Without knowing your boots' make and model there might be something they can do (like Head's injections) to help to lock the heel in place.

Or maybe you know and feel like everything is just fine now and there's no need for a visit to the shop. In that case all is good!
snow conditions
For those, like me, who get PF I have "cured" it by wearing footers (off the shelf) in every single shoes that I wear, including slippers.
Proper @CEM ones in my ski boots.
PF is totally gone.

It does add about 30 pounds per pair of shoes...worth every penny
snow conditions
@rungsp, Yep, me too
ski holidays
@rungsp, what is a footer?
ski holidays
@kitenski, footbeds
Sorry I used my phone to type and it does throw in some random spelling auto "corrections" that I don't always notice.

And I've had to go back to this post and insist on footbeds...it tried to say footers again!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy