Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix 9 - 11 December good for low to high intermediates?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone, first time poster getting back into skiing after a 30 year break! Went to LDA over Easter and I cant think about anything else but skiing!! My partner will be 50 this July and wanted to surprise him with an early Dember trip to ski on 9th 10th and 11th December sans kids! I'm a low intermediate and he is high intermediate, what the heck happened to my confidence?? Anyways, saw a great package deal to Chamo ix for those dates with Le Pass lift pas 20 euros per day? Any advice on whether this would work for our levels and partial opening for that time of year. Any suggestions greatly received

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Others will advise what might be open then but Le Tour or Les Houches sounds as if they might suit your level. Brevent Flegere can be more challenging in places and Argentiere mainly harder still.

I throw these names out but I am assuming you are aware that Chamonix is not a resort as places like Les Arcs, Val dIsere, Flaine, Meribel, Les2Alpes etc are - Chamonix is a base for a number of different resorts and a bus is needed for some - again - are the bus servces likely to be running on a reasonably regular basis that early in the season - I do not know but many others will.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Countryman, I am aware Cham is made up of these areas. I have studied them on the Piste map. The deal which includes accommodation flights and accommodation for £600 for 2 people!! I think Le pass lift pass only 20 euro per day, so I'm trying to determine will there be enough snow to allow me to practice on blues and greens and I hadnt thought about whether buses would be running good thought! I have looked at many other snowsure resorts but I'm struggling to find transfers that arent in excess of £800!!! Thanks.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I'm struggling to find transfers that arent in excess of £800!!! Thanks.

For just three days, renting a car should cost a lot less than £800.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That's true but do I not get into the rigmarole of snowchains and snow tyres for the rental? Have you driven in the alps in December, I have no experience of this. Shared tansfers dont appear to run.

Is there a anywhere that may be better choice for us that weekend? Thanks.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Or would it be a viable option?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you rent on the Swiss side of Geneva airport the car will be equipped with snow tyres and you should also get chains. You're unlikely to need them driving to Chamonix if you have snow tyres, but of course you never know when there might be a snow storm and access to some properties might be up steep access roads. I've driven a lot in the Alps in winter and am accustomed to fitting chains - it's a fiddle, and messy, but not rocket science! Flaine might be a good destination but a lot of resorts won't be open as early as your dates. If the price of the Chamonix trip seems too good to be true, it probably is..... there are some very knowledgeable Chamonix experts on Snowheads who will come along with more detail - might be helpful if you identify the accommodation you'll be getting. There are some "hostels" in Chamonix which are very cheap but might not suit you.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chamonix is easier with a car - there are some good "easier" slopes at Le Tour but that's quite a way up the valley.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w wrote:
If you rent on the Swiss side of Geneva airport the car will be equipped with snow tyres and you should also get chains. .

You can get chains but they charge for them now, about 40chf
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks Pam, OK well if it is straightforward I could consider it, any recommendations on who to use for car rental? Here is the link that attracted me to Cham as a package. Plenty of hotels to choose from.

https://skizoom.com/ski-holidays-search_short_transfer=no&destiantion[]=France&departure_airport=BRS&departure_date=08%2F12%2F2022&number_nights=4&number_adult=2&number_child=0&include_flights=yes

I was also considering La Clusaz too, due to short transfer for weekend and suitable level.

Thanks
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ster wrote:
pam w wrote:
If you rent on the Swiss side of Geneva airport the car will be equipped with snow tyres and you should also get chains. .

You can get chains but they charge for them now, about 40chf

I’d say 4 out of the 6 cars we rented last winter from GVA (Europcar) had chains already in the boot. The exception were the VW EVs we rented a couple of times - possibly because they were brand new.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
That link doesn't work, @Fens. Some dicey spelling....
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks Andy, makes sense as they are mandatory!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sorry Pam, does this work?

Still trying to ascertain whether that weekend in Cham is viable..

[]=France&departure_airport=BRS&departure_date=08%2F12%2F2022&number_nights=4&number_adult=2&number_child=0&include_flights=yes
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This post will probably give more questions than answers, but some general thoughts:

1. When do you want to book. This is low season, so how far in advance you book is unlikely to affect the price or availability much, though you may get the odd deal for early booking. If you are comfortable with leaving booking till very late (within a week of departure), this would allow you to decide on destination based on the snow conditions and mid/long range weather forecast. Another factor is that some resorts may not yet have decided (or publicised) opening times; if you leave it a month or two from now, resorts are likely to start posting information about next winter, rather than the winter just gone
2. Whether to book a package or DIY. There are a few permutations, but in general I consider a package to cover travel, transfer and accommodation (and optionally lift pass and ski hire), whereas for DIY you buy each separately. Packages are easier, but DIY can give more flexibility. The cheapest option is likely to be a package, but for not much more you'll probably get a wider range of options if you consider DIY
3. COVID. Who knows how relevant this will be in December, but there's a risk of impacting your holiday either through a positive test just before departure, or new travel restrictions. If you book early, cancellations will be easier if you book a package, but if you leave it till last minute, you may not need to cancel as you won't have booked anything (this last season, for our first trip, we waited till getting the OK from a fit to fly test (had to be taken within 48hr of arrival), and only then booked flights, car hire and accommodation)
4. Getting to resort. For a lot of Austrian and Swiss resorts, public transport is a viable option, instead of private transfers or car hire. If going the DIY route, this is well worth considering
5. Resort opening. Most resorts will have a publiciised planned opening date. However, some resorts may only open on weekends before Christmas week. So, it's possible a resort or area may open on, say Dec 3rd, but only on weekends before Dec 17th. This would be fine for skiing on Dec 10 and 11th, but be careful about Dec 9th

Specifically re Chamonix.
1. Of the 4 main areas, Le Tour and Les Houches would be best for a low intermediate, whereas for Brevent/Flegere and Grands Montets you'd probably be limited to a couple of short(ish) runs in each. However, as each area is fairly compact, it'd be easy to meet up with your partner
2. I've no idea what the Le Pass ski pass covers, but it may not cover Les Houches, so it'd be best to try and find out in advance what it covers
3. I'm pretty sure the ski busses will be running in early December, but maybe not that frequently. At start and end of day they'll probably be every 30 minutes, but there may be longer gaps at other times of day
ski holidays
I used to go skiing that weekend every year.

Despite having an apartment near Chamonix I usually went to Verbier. It’s a roll of the dice as to whether Cham will be open.

Now I decide a week before whether it’s worth going. I wouldn’t plan any longer than that in advance.

Le Pass doesn’t cover Les houches, or the aiguille du midi cable car, which you might want to do as a sightseeing trip in the very possible event you can’t ski.
latest report
Verbier is much better than Chamonix early season as much more (reliably) open, better prepared and better connected. Not sure you’ll find an all inclusive deal for £600 for 2 though. You can get there by train 2:30 from Geneva.
And snow can be great although not guaranteed - 9th Dec last year

http://youtube.com/v/UALWBIcsLwk

Verbier had been open weekends from start Nov and everything from start Dec. I think parts of Cham only opened that weekend - ask @Idris for better information as he was skiing then
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=156499&start=0
snow report
Fens wrote:
Thanks Andy, makes sense as they are mandatory!

Legally, you need winter tyres or to be carrying chains during winter in some parts of France.
ski holidays
@Fens, I am somewhat amazed that anyone is selling packages even for just the weekend those dates.

Huge risk of resort not being open.

Iirc, Chamonix opened 18th ish December this year - although limited skiing the previous weekend(s).*

Same story I would expect for La Clusaz.

Tignes however, a strong bet and probable open slopes would probably suit.

* I live in Chamonix, but wasn't paying huge attention.
ski holidays
Thank you underanewname, I specifically asked about this and they said, no worries there will be plenty of snow!!! In terms of my current measly, starting from scratch low intermediate level and husbands higher intermediate would Tigne be my only option? I've also read snowsure resorts at that time would include Avoriaz, Val D'isere, Cortina, Cervinia, Austria /Flight times are awkward for Austra. Can anyone suggest my best bet? We are not elitist skiers so just looking for an opportunity to practice and have fun. Many, many thanks for all information this far.
latest report
@viv, Thanks Viv you are correct le pass does not include les houches. I suppose the old fashioned me wanted to present the holiday to my husband as his 50th gift this July,, plus organising childcare family driving 5 hours to come and watch the kids so I do need to plan all this in, bit of a big thing to go away without the kids, we go with them to Valmorel in feb half term!! Good to know prices wont change too much but getting flights booked would make me feel less nervous. I have slowly realised that the opening date does not mean fully opened and there for our day 1, a friday may be dodgy for some resorts only opening weekends til mid december. Thanks so much!
snow conditions
BobinCH wrote:
Verbier is much better than Chamonix early season as much more (reliably) open, better prepared and better connected. Not sure you’ll find an all inclusive deal for £600 for 2 though. You can get there by train 2:30 from Geneva.
And snow can be great although not guaranteed - 9th Dec last year

http://youtube.com/v/UALWBIcsLwk

Verbier had been open weekends from start Nov and everything from start Dec. I think parts of Cham only opened that weekend - ask @Idris for better information as he was skiing then
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=156499&start=0

thanks so much, yes Verbier has been on my radar but thought it may be too pricey. I'll have to keep saving!! Is that you skiing beautiful! Do I have any other options? The public transport would be great but dont get in til 5pm and need to leave resort at 7:30am which perhaps only leaves car rental as my only option. I cannot find transfers operating that time. Thanks so much.
ski holidays
@Fens, it's a lovely idea - but all the advice about waiting to book accommodation is spot on. You could book flights now though - which would not be a big loss, should the snow conditions be really hopeless, which could well be the case. Just book the basic flight and add luggage later. Chamonix is clearly a non-starter, from what our resident @under a new name says, and any tour operator who assures you there'll be plenty of snow is a charlatan. Tignes would be one of the safest bets in France - and car rental probably the only practicable way of getting there. Skiing just for a few days will always be much more expensive, in "£ per hour on the slopes" terms than skiing for a week.
ski holidays
@Fens, As @under a new name, says, Chamonix is not a good venue for a ski holiday at that time of year. We did a season there (well as many other visits skiing, climbing, mountaineering, mountain biking etc, and for Intermediates it's not an ideal resort at the best of times, and much of what intermediate terrain there is, is not particularly snowsure. There are very much better venues for early season. Chamonix should be thought of as a Mountain Town Resort, that happens to have some modest ski areas, as well as serious freeride and climbing/mountaineering territory - it is not a "Ski Resort".
snow report
@Fens, What about Zermatt? It's pricey, but a great "holiday of a lifetime" venue (everyone should go there at least once). Easy train transfers from GVA, high altitude, snowsure, and really beautiful.
snow conditions
@pam w, thanks. Am I therefore taking too much risk and although these dates would suit us better, also my birthday on 10th is it a no hope? Shoukd I look to change to January, perhaps the last weekend of the school hols? Thanks, if so, what resorts would be recommended, I really wante to save Tignes vD'Isere VT once I can make the most of them, not looking for prestige just lots of greens and blues to get my technique nailed and get back to reds eventually, where I left off 30 years ago!!
ski holidays
@RobinS, Thanks this one does keep cropping up so will have another look at these pesky flights from Bristol! Is it worth going for a 2 day ski?
ski holidays
Sorry 3 day ski..
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Fens, There's plenty of intermediate level skiing for 3 days, but the biggest thing with Zermatt is that the views and surrounding are amazing - it can make it a memorable experience.
latest report
And that is more likely to be snowsure? Would Cervinia be equally so? Thanks
snow report
Quote:

is it a no hope?

There's always hope..... and if those early December dates suit you best, book flights. But be aware that you might need to grapple with snowchains for the final part of your journey (you will be hoping for snow, after all), stay flexible about destination and be aware that the price you quoted for flights and accommodation for two are unrealistic.

If you fly to Geneva and it's warm and sunny, you could do worse than spend a couple of days at Annecy, exploring the old town and walking along the lakeshore. Or rent bikes and cycle all the way round.
snow conditions
@Fens, I haven't actually done it so I can't really recommend it, but I've often looked at Zugspitze in Garmisch for a weekend break. There seem to be very quick, very cheap public transport options from Munich airport. Im not familiar with the skiing itself, but it's a high altitude glacier area so it should open early. Worth a look, maybe others who've been can advise better?
snow report
@element, Thanks will take a look.
snow report
@pam w, Definitely want to ski which is why I'm wondering if I should change dates, thanks Annecy also on radar sometime Very Happy

I'm not sure how to get this link to work but ski zoom are offering thus v cheap package flights to geneva accommodation and transfer to Cham for £330 per person!

https://skizoom.com/ski-holidays-search?short_transfer=no&destiantion[]=France&departure_airport=BRS&departure_date=08%2F12%2F2022&number_nights=4&number_adult=2&number_child=0&include_flights=yes
snow report
But if no snow, that would explain it!!
snow conditions
@Fens, We have skied Cervinia mid-December and it was good all the way back to the village. If there is less snow there are gondolas/cablecars taking you to the glacier skiing, so almost certain skiing as long as it's not too stormy.
snow report
@RobinS, Thanks. Given the risk of my dates, would I be better off resetting dates to early January? If so, any recommendations, looking for short transfer, perhaps La Crusaz? Thanks, so much, this has been so useful, otherwise book geneva flights and determine destination nearer to the time. Woukd have loved to do the December weekend but appears problematic.
snow conditions
I had thought some resorts opened late November so thought by 9th December would be safe but keen to hear final thoughts on this, thanks everyone.
ski holidays
@Fens, Given that it's a special birthday trip I would happily go for those dates in December - just choose wisely and accept that all the skiing may not be open - but the vastly reduced numbers of people will mean that what there is won't be busy. Mid-December or earlier we have skied Cervinia, Tignes, Mayrhofen, St Anton, and Ischgl as holiday trips and had a great time on every one. (Edit - remembered - Kaprun and Zell am See as well!)
ski holidays
@RobinS, Brilliant they are definitely my preferred dates, my 50th stuck in lockdown and in Wales there wasnt even any fizz being served so well overdue a celebratory, 1st ski trip together and combined 50th celebration. Ski zoom misinformed I thought this was too good to be true!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy