Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR: Hokkaido May 2022 - The Man From Del Monte He Say Yes

Poster: A snowHead
Come on lads, get those borders open for us virus free Brits Laughing
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@mooney058, have done the Tohoku/Sendai tours and most of the spots you mention not that long ago (2019). If you are still looking/gathering data, I have a load of info but not the time to put it all down as in busy season for me until late Aug. Mike Pow will vouch for me being half sensible... hopefully!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@wiigman, that would be great once you have a minute. Sketched a basic plan from either Sendai or Aomori. No firms plans as traveling is uncertain at this moment. If 2023 is a bust (still hoping everything falls in order) then the following year hopefully.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
More than half sensible Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mosha Marc wrote:
Come on lads, get those borders open for us virus free Brits Laughing

It seems no post-election announcement is forthcoming, probably due to the current wave of infections in Japan (similar to what almost every other country is experiencing right now, give or take a few weeks). Japan is probably one of the most, if not the most, COVID infected country in the world right now. But we are going to be seeing these waves every few months, potentially for a very long time, so I don't have much optimism if they see these waves as good reason to keep the borders 95% closed.

I've read that COVID might be reclassified to "class 5", similar to flu, from it's current super-dangerous legal status in the Autumn, and that may be a pre-requisite for any relaxation in tourism and visa rules. The parliament is in session from late September until late November so it could happen during that time.

The North Korea style monitored tours seem to be unpopular (!) with most applicants being Korean and Thai.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It's on a knife-edge at this stage

But I've got everything crossed
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I need 2023 to happen, on the edge of becoming insane. 2 weeks away from everyone/everything in a world far away is what dr prescribed. Honestly, I can get dr prescription…. pleeeeaaassse …. (not swearing in my head now).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mooney058 wrote:
I need 2023 to happen, on the edge of becoming insane. 2 weeks away from everyone/everything in a world far away is what dr prescribed. Honestly, I can get dr prescription…. pleeeeaaassse …. (not swearing in my head now).

You don't have to go that far east to get away from everyone/everything

If Japan is a no go, then Macedonia, Montenegro, Kosovo, Georgia, and Turkey will do a different but equally enjoyable job instead.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
True, but I will mis onsen experience
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@mooney058, You could try skiing in South Korea if you want something a bit different? It won't be anything like Japan (they get way less snow, so I think only piste skiing really). But they do have something similar to onsens, and would be an interesting cultural experience. Plus fantastic food of course!

This looks interesting:

https://skiasia.com/features/skiing-secret-korean-island-ulleung-do/

Probably the only place on Korean territory that gets some lake effect snowfall similar to Japan.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Or Canada. Just don't go to Whistler.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Found some interesting info about cat ski in N Macedonia. Will see how are the logistics, prices. Could possibly be an option
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mooney058 wrote:
Found some interesting info about cat ski in N Macedonia. Will see how are the logistics, prices. Could possibly be an option

Eskimo?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yep, they were the first to react to my inquiry. Also dropped a message to SF Freeride that operate further south from Skopje, closer to Greek border
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mooney058 wrote:
Yep, they were the first to react to my inquiry. Also dropped a message to SF Freeride that operate further south from Skopje, closer to Greek border

Lots of good operators out there now

Georgia too

https://www.powderhounds.com/Europe/Cat-Skiing.aspx
snow report
Still no signs of getting into the Japow in 2023.

we're going to have to look at North America I think Sad
latest report
Looks unlikely. Googling did not show anything positive
snow report
Was looking at prices of flights today for end of October, still around £1000 return to Tokyo.
snow conditions
@rjs, have a look at BA first week of September - they usually have a sale..... snowHead
latest report
Still no word on the ground and we're heading in to Japan's lucrative Autumn market.

Winter is not as important economically as the other seasons and there's a growing feeling that the Government will sit this out until next Spring.

I really, really hope I'm wrong.
snow report
Mike Pow wrote:
Still no word on the ground and we're heading in to Japan's lucrative Autumn market.

Winter is not as important economically as the other seasons and there's a growing feeling that the Government will sit this out until next Spring.

What I heard also... madness, and maddening.
snow report
wiigman wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:

What I heard also... madness, and maddening.

However, this was posted this morning

https://www.instagram.com/p/ChYGk_xl-XM/
snow report
@Mike Pow, what is it (not on fb or insta or twatter)?
Please help the blind relative Smile
latest report
mooney058 wrote:

Scoot Airlines announcing direct flights from Singapore to Sapporo from November
Also indirect via Taipei
snow report
mooney058 wrote:

https://www.jnwasia.com/post/scoot-will-resume-daily-flights-to-sapporo-from-singapore-in-november-2022-look-out-niseko
snow conditions
Hohoho - must check what finnair says to that Smile thanks to both!
snow report
Interesting article from a skiing perspective (no new news though!)

https://www.afr.com/world/asia/skiers-sweat-on-japan-s-post-pandemic-reopening-20220821-p5bbj5

Quote:

Will Japan’s borders reopen in time for ski season?
Japan’s borders are still closed to independent tourists despite expectations restrictions would be eased by now. Australians who have booked ski trips this Christmas are nervous.

Michael Smith
Michael SmithNorth Asia correspondent
Aug 21, 2022 – 5.27pm

Tokyo | It is the million-dollar question in Japan right now. Will the country open its borders to tourists in time for the ski season?

Thousands of Australians who have booked Christmas holidays on the Japanese slopes are nervous because there is still no indication from the Kishida government when it will let independent travel into the country resume. Ski resort operators and local officials in regions which rely heavily on income from international visitors warn that if the government does not set a timetable now, travellers will start cancelling their Christmas bookings next month and make alternative plans. Colin Hackworth, an Australian overseeing the development of a new high-end ski resort at Hanazono in Hokkaido, says the silence from the Japanese government is deafening.

“If there is no announcement on the border opening soon, then Australians and New Zealanders planning ski trips will go elsewhere. Everyone needs time to book flights, accommodation and so on. We only need an opening date confirmed prior to winter, that is all,” he told The Australian Financial Review on Sunday.

“Feeling very nervous at present. There is no good reason why the border needs to remain closed to foreigners only. Japanese residents and citizens can come and go as they please. Japan needs to become part of the free and open world again – and soon.”

Local government officials in areas such as Hakuba and Niseko, which are popular with Australian skiers and snowboarders, have also expressed concern their peak winter tourism season will be decimated for the third year running if travellers do not have certainty by September. Diplomatic and government sources told the Financial Review they had no idea when the borders would reopen, despite initial hopes the government was going to make an announcement shortly after the July 10 upper house elections. COVID-19 cases have surged since then, though, making it politically unpopular among the country’s highly cautious public to fully reopen the borders. Japan recorded the highest global number of new coronavirus cases last month. A Qantas spokesman said on Sunday the airline still planned to resume flights from Sydney to Tokyo in mid-September, but that schedule could be delayed again if the border was not open by then. Jetstar Japan has already resumed some flights into the Gold Coast and Cairns to cater for Japanese tourists travelling to Australia.

Japan closed its borders in March 2020 but is now one of the last major countries, besides China, to remove the restrictions imposed at the start of the global pandemic. PCR tests are still required for anyone, including residents, entering the country. Japanese citizens and residents can come and go and restrictions on business and student visitors have been largely lifted. There has been a steady trickle of Australian students, academics and business executives into Tokyo in the past two months. In June, Japan started allowing some tourists back into the country, but only if they were part of a chaperoned package tour group. The rigid restrictions for those visitors mean few people are bothering to visit. The number of foreign arrivals in Japan was 144,500 in July. This was a 95.2 per cent plunge from the same month in 2019, the Japan National Tourism Organisation said last week. The number of foreign tourists was even lower, making up only 7903 of those arrivals. Experts said another bad sign was a delay in the rollout of a domestic tourism promotion campaign designed to get locals travelling again. The GoTo Travel campaign, which has a budget of 1 trillion yen ($10.6 billion), would have offered discounts and coupons for travellers, and was seen as the next step in reviving Japan’s tourism sector. With GoTo delayed, it was unlikely foreigners would be allowed back in if domestic tourists are not being encouraged to travel.

“We would like to move forward in the direction of easing measures to enable smooth entry into Japan, while maintaining a balance between the prevention of the spread of infection and socioeconomic activities, on par with other G7 countries,” Prime Minister Fumio Kishida told a press conference earlier this month.

However, he said the government would make decisions which took in domestic “needs” and the level of infection in Japan and overseas. While there has been an uptick in domestic tourism, operators in Japan say they are desperate for international visitors to return soon or they will go elsewhere. A record 31.9 million people visited Japan in 2019. There was also a huge amount of investment in new facilities and hotels in the years leading up the pandemic. Economists say the influx of foreign capital would boost the economy at a time when growth is stagnant and the yen is depreciating. However, public sentiment is not on their side. Japan reported a record 255,534 COVID-19 cases and 287 deaths on Thursday last week as the surge in cases puts medical facilities under pressure, broadcaster NHK said. Hackworth argues that while some parts of Japan such as Kyoto can survive on domestic tourism alone, the northern island of Hokkaido cannot.

“Hokkaido is far less wealthy than Kyoto and other similar areas, and heavily relies on foreign tourism as an economic input. It would certainly be regarded as selfish if the border remained closed for that reason,” he says.

Kishida has today, again, given a non-answer to reporters regarding the border measures (almost the same as his previous quote in the article above):

Quote:

In response to a question from reporters online, Prime Minister Kishida said, "We will promptly indicate the direction" of the review of measures under the Infectious Diseases Act on the novel coronavirus and the relaxation of border measures, based on the opinions of experts and others.

In addition, he stated, "In light of the changing characteristics of the new coronavirus, we will accelerate our response to achieve a balance between infection prevention and socio-economic activities as much as possible."
snow conditions
As each day passes I'm less & less optimistic Sad

There is no logical reasoning behind this
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Latest from Clayton

'Soon, Japan will no longer require a pre-Covid test if you are triple vaccinated. If you aren’t, you will still be required to get a Covid test within 72 hours prior to departure. Even though the numbers of new Covid cases in Japan are at a record high, they are still making positive moves like this! Prime Minister Kishida has vowed to make some drastic changes in the very near future. '

https://www.instagram.com/p/ChlmNj2rTIn/

Who knows? Anyone's guess
ski holidays
Not really - group tours for tourists now possible - but no onsen or fun in town.

Seems like a number of accommodations team up with travel agencies to secure getting group tour guest.

Family visit no problem - but can one go skiing without them? Don't want them to get into trouble. Many japanese unspoken social rules!

There is a mail thread about group skitours set up on the Aussie forum.

Group tours are not for wife and me.

So far number of tourists visas this summer is very low!

Maybe foto artists/journalists have a better chance? Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
There's some reports today saying that "unguided tours" will be allowed from sometime next month, announcement expected tomorrow.

Not sure how that is defined, but we should find out soon.

It sounds like they want to keep tourist entries coming in via the ERFS system and applying for a visa, which requires a Japanese travel agent to be the inviting party.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20220823/k10013784521000.html

It still says that individual travel will not be allowed, but the difference between "unguided tour" and "individual travel" doesn't seem clear to me.

Not sure why Japan can't dispense with all the unnecessary bureaucracy and just re-instate visa waivers...!!
ski holidays
musehead wrote:
There's some reports today saying that "unguided tours" will be allowed from sometime next month, announcement expected tomorrow.

Not sure how that is defined, but we should find out soon.

It sounds like they want to keep tourist entries coming in via the ERFS system and applying for a visa, which requires a Japanese travel agent to be the inviting party.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20220823/k10013784521000.html

It still says that individual travel will not be allowed, but the difference between "unguided tour" and "individual travel" doesn't seem clear to me.

Not sure why Japan can't dispense with all the unnecessary bureaucracy and just re-instate visa waivers...!!

"However, personal travel will continue to be prohibited, and travel agencies that arrange tours will be required to manage schedules and to follow guidelines for dealing with infected people."

The Japanese travel agency has to have a track on you and put you into the right facility when you should get infected! Sad Madeye-Smiley

Might not be quite up to date, and might be not so strickt anymore but...:

https://www.mhlw.go.jp/english/policy/health-medical/health/dl/contact_list_jqs.pdf Shocked

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 23-08-22 15:52; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
The application for a Business Visa requires you to say what you will be doing each day of the trip.
ski holidays
Announcement today

Hasn't moved the dial for independent tourists entering Japan
snow report
Quote:
Hasn't moved the dial for independent tourists entering Japan
It's hardly looking promising, is it?  The continued silence looks ominous...
snow conditions
But wait! What's this? A move towards a more positive position for Japanese tourism Puzzled

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20220824_01/amp.html
ski holidays
a glimmer of hope?

Quote:
Japan’s public broadcasting service, NHK, have reported that individual travellers will be permitted to enter the country again from September 7th in the ongoing normalisation process of travel.

https://www.snow-forecast.com/whiteroom/japan-eases-travel-restrictions-ahead-of-ski-season/?fbclid=IwAR3BrkgeFreHy-bprPndzy4r3gcAqdMtvGpwXpTSH7As4TLUqXyVo19uuVI
latest report
Best summary I've seen to date

https://uchijapan.com/news/is-japan-open-for-tourism?utm_source=Uchi+Newsletter&utm_campaign=4fd895eb6a-Uchi+August+2022&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_e66c352906-4fd895eb6a-1403409640
snow conditions
@kitenski, @mountainaddict, it seems some news sites reported the rumours about the uplift to 50k cap and "unguided tours" yesterday, but the actual announcement of these details has been postponed, Kishida didn't mentioned them today at his press conference. I wonder if it's also a case of leaking something to the press, and then potentially changing the final details depending on the reaction.
ski holidays
Quote:
the actual announcement of these details has been postponed, Kishida didn't mentioned them today at his press conference.
Thanks musehead. So frustrating for all... Confused
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy