Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR: Hokkaido May 2022 - The Man From Del Monte He Say Yes

Poster: A snowHead
Visa? Check
PCR? Negative

On my way back to Hokkaido tomorrow morning after 26 months away.

Can't wait.

Catching up with pals; skiing; taking photos.

Resorts in the Niseko area close 05 May. Then there's touring.

Asahidake and Kurodake may be running longer. Will check.

Cherry blossom season has just started.

Flights are expensive - £1000 r/t to Tokyo; £200 r/t to Chitose

But heading out now to activate visa and bypass the expected delays come Winter.

Visa is valid for 1 year, so will see me right for next winter.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mike Pow wrote:
Visa? Check
PCR? Negative

Can't wait.

But heading out now to activate visa and bypass the expected delays come Winter.

Result!!! Hope to see you out there next season. Can I put in my order for steep and deep early?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BobinCH wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:
Visa? Check
PCR? Negative

Can't wait.

Result!!! Hope to see you out there next season. Can I put in my order for steep and deep early?

Early order? Or early season? Wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Enjoy Mike.
Don't think I will make it back this year, probably the following autumn.
Say hi to Iwanai if you get the chance. Wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Idris wrote:
Enjoy Mike.
Don't think I will make it back this year, probably the following autumn.
Say hi to Iwanai if you get the chance. Wink

Cheers

Will do
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Awesome news Mike! Enjoy snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Mike Pow, bon route!

Your post inspired to check ticket prices for Feb-Mar 23, not too bad! The ¥ is down, good time to travel.

Btw from earlier travels must have clicked something, got an email today with real estate offers for JPN ski areas. One small land plot for house construction ($60K) with direct views on Yotei got me thinking Smile
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Saw that too
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sharkymark wrote:
Awesome news Mike! Enjoy snowHead

Cheers
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Mike Pow, would appreciate your thoughts on the below two options under consideration:

1-15 March 2023, Tohoku. Hiring car and driving a round(ish circle).

Option 1 - flying to/from Aomori:
- couple of days in Aomori, hitting Hakkoda;
- days 3-4 Aomori Spring Resort
- day 5 Iwaki (possibly from the same base as Aomori Spring)
- day 6-8 Tazawako (ski but staying in an old nearby inn is high on the to do list);
- day 9 Shizukuishi;
- day 10-11 Appi Kogen;
- day 12-13 TBD

Option 2 - fly to/from Sendai. Similar round trip but touching Yamagata/Iwate:
- Geto Kogen;
- Gassan;
- Zao Onsen
- etc

I really appreciated your previous pointers for smaller resorts as they proved much more enjoyable/quiter than the bigger areas. I will most probably be traveling sollo again, so for middle ages intermidiot safety (on/off slopes) is a concern so will keep it civilised. Unless I find a guided tour, something similar as a cat operation in Hanazono.

Any insights as to Aomori vs Sendai would be much appreciated with the above considerations in mind.

Thanks a lot!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Both of those would work and be great.

Haven’t skied there but speaking with those who have they’ve all had a ball

Good info here

https://www.whiteroomtours.com/guided-japan-tours/tohoku-powder-tour/
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Mike Pow, very useful, thanks a lot! joining a tour would be an interesting option instead of a lonely wolf experience. Will have to consider if slow and easy or joining rowdy Aussies for max ski is better for 2023 trip.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 3-05-22 14:58; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ooooo, are they allowing us back now?

Might have to get those Finnair tickets booked Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not yet, but pressure from within to reopen reported in EN media from JPN
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I’m part of the first wave - non Japanese without residency but with visa.

If this goes well - no spike in cases - then I can see tourists being allowed in for the Summer
snow report
Mike Pow wrote:
Visa? Check
PCR? Negative

Can't wait.

Photo report - not check Cool
snow report
mooney058 wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:
Visa? Check
PCR? Negative

Can't wait.

Photo report - not check Cool

https://www.instagram.com/stories/highlights/17931719264065539/
ski holidays
Thanks @Idris, indeed, forgot about it. Not on FB/insta/etc
snow conditions
mooney058 wrote:
Not yet, but pressure from within to reopen reported in EN media from JPN

Could be as early as 01 June but locals thinking it will be after the July elections.

Either way, start planning for the 2022/23 season.
ski holidays
Latest Entry news

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Coronavirus/Japan-waives-COVID-entry-tests-in-step-toward-welcoming-tourists
latest report
Fall Line Published a promo on Japan in March 22. Maybe I should get over there next season.

Their heli looks to be "daily" stuff, and having seen Japanese tourists heliskiing in Banff in the 1980s... I'm somewhat wary, but perhaps things have changed.

How does the on-piste/ off-piste thing work there? Is it a European approach (anything off the piste is essentially uncontrolled/ unpatrolled), or US (anything you can legally get to inside the boundary is controlled/ patrolled)?

I see the "whiteroom" link here, but are you personally selling guiding services out there?
snow report
philwig wrote:
Fall Line Published a promo on Japan in March 22. Maybe I should get over there next season.

Their heli looks to be "daily" stuff, and having seen Japanese tourists heliskiing in Banff in the 1980s... I'm somewhat wary, but perhaps things have changed.

Not aimed at the Japanese market.

Can't offer multi-day packages because the weather isn't consistent enough.

It's good terrain with great snow and tremendous views, but with your experience you may be underwhelmed.

Cat operation at Shimamaki would suit you better I think

https://www.hokkaidobackcountryclub.com/en/cat-skiing/shimamaki-snowcats/cat-skiing-3/

Quote:
How does the on-piste/ off-piste thing work there? Is it a European approach (anything off the piste is essentially uncontrolled/ unpatrolled), or US (anything you can legally get to inside the boundary is controlled/ patrolled)?

Both, depending on resort. More and more have gate accessed side / backcountry. Gates closed = no go.

Quote:
I see the "whiteroom" link here, but are you personally selling guiding services out there?

Short answer, no. I don't guide, I teach. And I'm already booked for the peak periods next winter.

Long answer, it depends. Outside of existing bookings and depending on what someone is looking for I have done some 'guiding' but I'm not a certified guide.

If you're looking to go lift accessed and touring I recommend Tracy

https://www.nisekomtnguides.com/about-us
ski holidays
@Mike Pow, Hope you had a good trip to Japan - how was the feeling among the locals regarding re-opening to tourism? Are they eager to welcome foreigners back, or cautious and concerned?

There seems to be quite a lot of animosity building up (online at least) about the entry ban and how it only applies to foreigners, and how Japan is not respecting diplomatic reciprocity regarding visa waivers and tourism. Case in point - my girlfriend has a Japanese passport and is going to Japan next week. She needs to do a test before departure, but after that there's no further restrictions, no test or checks on arrival (post 1st June). Totally free to travel around and do what she wants. Meanwhile, as a UK passport holder I'm totally banned from entering the country as a tourist. And now they are talking about only permitting North Korea-style monitored tours for tourists starting from 10th June.

I've been following this guy on twitter who is certainly very angry about the ban, but he posts lots of new info and sources daily which is useful for keeping up with what's going on:

https://twitter.com/japanstartshere

I'm concerned that when I'm allowed to return (whenever that may be), perhaps as a foreigner I'm not welcome anymore and I'll get the cold shoulder or even outright hostility from the ~40% of the public that don't want the border to be reopened. I don't get the impression that foreigners are welcome in Japan.

Would be interested to hear your thoughts!
latest report
musehead wrote:
@Mike Pow, Hope you had a good trip to Japan - how was the feeling among the locals regarding re-opening to tourism? Are they eager to welcome foreigners back, or cautious and concerned?

Thanks

Heading home tomorrow (Saturday)

Locals - both Japanese and Foreign - are very optimistic that all will be resolved come Winter.

Those working in hospitality and leisure can't wait to see tourists.

Quote:
There seems to be quite a lot of animosity building up (online at least) about the entry ban and how it only applies to foreigners, and how Japan is not respecting diplomatic reciprocity regarding visa waivers and tourism. Case in point - my girlfriend has a Japanese passport and is going to Japan next week. She needs to do a test before departure, but after that there's no further restrictions, no test or checks on arrival (post 1st June). Totally free to travel around and do what she wants. Meanwhile, as a UK passport holder I'm totally banned from entering the country as a tourist. And now they are talking about only permitting North Korea-style monitored tours for tourists starting from 10th June.

I've been following this guy on twitter who is certainly very angry about the ban, but he posts lots of new info and sources daily which is useful for keeping up with what's going on:

https://twitter.com/japanstartshere

I'm concerned that when I'm allowed to return (whenever that may be), perhaps as a foreigner I'm not welcome anymore and I'll get the cold shoulder or even outright hostility from the ~40% of the public that don't want the border to be reopened. I don't get the impression that foreigners are welcome in Japan.

Would be interested to hear your thoughts!

Japan as a country is super cautious, hence the delay behind other countries.

Are their restrictions any different from our European neighbours during all of this? I don't think so.

Once they get through this charade and the elections are done, then everyone I've spoken with thinks it's going to be full steam ahead.

I've been made to feel very welcome in the Niseko Resort Area and wherever I've driven around Hokkaido.
ski holidays
Japan isn't the only country that bars foreigners from entering. During various part of the the pandemic, many country went through periods that only nationals can enter. Japan maybe late in opening to tourist. But compare with its Asian neighbours, it's not that out of line.

Western countries are willing to live with the virus, accepting some death as part of the price. Asian countries had largely chosen a different path.
ski holidays
@Mike Pow, Thanks, it will be interesting to see how it pans out over the summer. Hopefully the 6-7 months until the ski season kicks off will be enough time for things to normalise. Glad to hear you were made to feel welcome!

abc wrote:
Japan isn't the only country that bars foreigners from entering. During various part of the the pandemic, many country went through periods that only nationals can enter. Japan maybe late in opening to tourist. But compare with its Asian neighbours, it's not that out of line.

Yes, that is true. It's just a little galling at this point that they clearly are not concerned about COVID, given how lax and absent their rules/restrictions are for returning Japanese citizens (and visa holders). Their arrivals policy from next week is more relaxed than most countries in Europe, as from many countries you won't even need to be vaccinated or take a test for restriction-free entry. Plus they've given the green light for Japanese citizens to go on holiday abroad by removing their travel warnings for a bunch of countries including the UK, essentially signalling that travel for leisure is safe and fine. Yet they continue to have an outright ban on incoming tourism and no public roadmap for reopening, bar some unattractive sounding guided tours next month.
snow report
@musehead,

Quote:

I got a visa to be in Japan last summer during which time they had one of their biggest lockdowns and am just so obviously not a local, white British, 'arigato gozaimasu' is the extent of Japanese and I encountered zero detectable hostility
snow report
It seems that as at 10 June, Japan is allowing tourists to enter and will open Sapporo airport to foreign flights again.

All good signs, I'm eager to get my flights booked.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@rambotion, Glad to hear it!

@Mosha Marc, I feel the international press kind of misreported the June 10th "opening" - it doesn't really count for much, it's just for a small number of heavily monitored and controlled guided tours with no independent entry or freedom of movement allowed. And also requires a special exemption visa, so tourism visas and waivers are not yet to be reinstated. Hopefully it's a very time-limited step on the way to full reopening at some point soon.

Apparently my girlfriend's (old Japanese) grandmother was expecting me to be coming to Japan next week with my girlfriend too - she had no idea that tourists are not allowed in!
latest report
Left today

Far more Japanese people leaving Japan and spending their money overseas than non-Japanese coming in.

That won’t last long.

Election loser.
snow report
My impression, which maybe entirely incorrect, is international tourism is a relatively recent phenomenon (<20y)?

It may have become a noticeable contributor of the economy since. But I still wonder how important it really is to the overall Japanese economy overall? And more significantly, to the mind of the average Japanese?
latest report
abc wrote:
My impression, which maybe entirely incorrect, is international tourism is a relatively recent phenomenon (<20y)?

It may have become a noticeable contributor of the economy since. But I still wonder how important it really is to the overall Japanese economy overall? And more significantly, to the mind of the average Japanese?

Tourism is still relatively small there, and its contribution to GDP is small (<1%). It's a fantastic country, but it's quite a niche place to want to go. Arguably skiing is its most obvious draw, but I suspect it's not really on the radar (or at least a serious consideration) for most UK skiers.
ski holidays
@boarder2020, it's not about how the Brits look at Japan. It's about how the Japanese look at tourists from overseas.

While I suspect it isn't very big. I also know it's far from "niche". They get lots of Aussie visiting in the winter and Chinese visiting in the summer.
latest report
Lots of Chinese in winter too!
ski holidays
I only went in winter and the impression I got that tourism is big at least in terms of activities and the volume of people traveling to/from Japan. The amount of people in Hokkaido and at least in Narita were astonishing.
snow report
abc wrote:
@boarder2020, it's not about how the Brits look at Japan. It's about how the Japanese look at tourists from overseas.

While I suspect it isn't very big. I also know it's far from "niche". They get lots of Aussie visiting in the winter and Chinese visiting in the summer.

If you ask the average Brit where they'd like to visit in Italy or USA for example they could list a bunch of places and tourists sites. For Japan I think the majority would struggle. That's why I say it's more niche. Myself and everyone I personally know that has visited Japan has been there for a specific event (conference, rugby world cup, weddings etc.) or skiing. I'm sure some people go because they are particularly interested in Japanese language, culture, or history but again they are more niche holiday requirements.

Of course a lot of Aussies go there to ski, it's their closest northern hemisphere option. It's true a lot of Chinese visit, but again some of that is just proximity. UK gets about 80% of the number of Chinese tourists visiting Japan, and 90% of Aussies, but is considerably harder and more expensive to get to than both those.
ski holidays
Mike Pow wrote:
Left today

Well done - how was Narita/Haneda on arrival? Long waitingtime?
snow report
Hyst wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:
Left today

Well done - how was Narita/Haneda on arrival? Long waitingtime?

Smooth sailing. Minutes getting through immigration.
latest report
Puzzled Lucky you!
snow conditions
boarder2020 wrote:
abc wrote:

If you ask the average Brit where they'd like to visit in Italy or USA for example they could list a bunch of places and tourists sites. For Japan I think the majority would struggle. That's why I say it's more niche. Myself and everyone I personally know that has visited Japan has been there for a specific event (conference, rugby world cup, weddings etc.) or skiing. I'm sure some people go because they are particularly interested in Japanese language, culture, or history but again they are more niche holiday requirements.

Of course a lot of Aussies go there to ski, it's their closest northern hemisphere option. It's true a lot of Chinese visit, but again some of that is just proximity. UK gets about 80% of the number of Chinese tourists visiting Japan, and 90% of Aussies, but is considerably harder and more expensive to get to than both those.

I found this a rathe arrogant post!

I wonder how much you know about Chinese to suggest they only visit Japan due to proximity and not for any interest in Japanese culture. Perhaps I should suggest that Brits only visit Italy due to proximity and not due to any interest in the Italian culture? Shocked

You seem to imply Japan has little cultural value for non-Japanese tourists (Brits, Chinese, Aussies). But perhaps it's more a reflection of your personal lack of interest in culture of the places you visited? rolling eyes
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy