Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort near geneva mid-march

Poster: A snowHead
Based on the current forecast for the next few weeks, where would be best to go on the 14th march? I have a flight booked but only a provisional hotel.

Ideally no more than a couple of hours from geneva. Looks like there is a fair amount of snow on the way in the next week.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Based on the current forecast for the next few weeks...

I'd wait and see! There is precipitation on the way but the rain/snow limit is uncertain, to put it mildly. Rent a car and stay flexible.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Origen wrote:
Quote:

Based on the current forecast for the next few weeks...

I'd wait and see! There is precipitation on the way but the rain/snow limit is uncertain, to put it mildly. Rent a car and stay flexible.

I'm not sure the terms "rent a car" and "stay flexible" go together very well!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Of course they do. It's easy to find a car rental which can be cancelled up to the previous day. If you change your mind, or find a cheaper one!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Agree, having flights and car booked in Geneva gives enough flexibility to choose between different resorts depending on weather (Chamonix/Zermatt/Cervinia...).
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Origen, spot on. Rent direct - Europcar allows free cancellations up to 48hrs before (also useful for rebooking when the price goes down - saved >£100 on two Feb/March bookings last week).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Fair enough, although i'm more concerned about accommodation options, or lack of. A flight is probably easier to book last minute, even if it's more expensive.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you have a car and don't mind driving 20-30min then I wouldn't worry about accomodation.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Mrmeaner, Depending on budget you could consider Verbier or otherwise Chatel which is snowsure in March due to the north facing slopes and both under two hours from Geneva along the Swiss autoroute.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Ozboy, is Chatel snow sure in March? And how much north-facing slopes does it actually have?
Looking on Wepowder, is says highest lift in Chatel is 2076m, but only 27% of slopes face west (largest direction). Comparing to M/LG, highest lift is 1980m, but 43% facing west, again largest direction.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
polo wrote:
@Ozboy, is Chatel snow sure in March? And how much north-facing slopes does it actually have?
Looking on Wepowder, is says highest lift in Chatel is 2076m, but only 27% of slopes face west (largest direction). Comparing to M/LG, highest lift is 1980m, but 43% facing west, again largest direction.

The percentages are misleading as the Chatel area is vast and misrepresented on the piste map. Linga and much of the Pre-La-Joux / Plaine Dranse sectors, where most of the skiing tales place, are north or northeasterly, and have extensive snow making infrastructure - including the home run down to PLJ and Linga carparks. The other half of Chatel (Super-Chatel & Petit Chatel) suffers from W and SW exposure.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Ozboy, I doubt Wepowder used a piste map though...I remember them taking a lot of time and pride in building out their maps. Have you any links or data to back up the idea that their percentages are misleading? Looking at Fatmap, I'd say PLJ / Linga runs and lifts are more NW facing?

https://fatmap.com/112/Portes%20du%20Soleil/FREERIDE/@46.2175576,6.7928498,4514.8151994,-90,0,1639.9954319,satellite
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Mrmeaner, you have three options. Book accommodation now, easily reached from Gva, and take your chance on the snow cover. Or wait, and be flexible on accommodation. It's not high season, you should find something without too much trouble. Or, if you can't cope with the uncertainty, book accommodation somewhere like Tignes Val Claret. It's not a difficult drive from Gva, really.

But nobody can tell you what the weather will be then, or in the meantime.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
polo wrote:
@Ozboy, I doubt Wepowder used a piste map though...I remember them taking a lot of time and pride in building out their maps. Have you any links or data to back up the idea that their percentages are misleading? Looking at Fatmap, I'd say PLJ / Linga runs and lifts are more NW facing?

https://fatmap.com/112/Portes%20du%20Soleil/FREERIDE/@46.2175576,6.7928498,4514.8151994,-90,0,1639.9954319,satellite

I dont have data other than looking at the runs on google maps and the fact that they are shady, cold and have some of the best snow in the PDS. PLJ area is a horse shoe "bowl" that runs from Col de Bessachaux (east facing) to Pas de Vouerca (west facing). Linga also runs from pas de Vouerca (top of Echo Alpin lift) but down the other side of the mountain turn north. Happy to give you a tour when I am there again in easter. DM me or lets continue on this on the PDS thread as to not drift this thread.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Going back to the OP's request, Val Claret is actually more than 2h from GVA.

The closest high altitude (above 1500m) resorts from GVA are Grand Massif (Flaine, about 1.10h) or PDS (Avoriaz, about 1.20h, but M/LG is even closer). Ok, add Cham ("Grands" Montets) but the resort itself is lower. Then Verbier but you're getting to 2h.
ski holidays
Quote:

Val Claret is actually more than 2h from GVA

Yes - his criteria are "book now", "less than 2h" and "good snow". He is going to have to compromise on one of them. I'd compromise on the first. He might have other priorities.
snow report
Origen wrote:
Quote:

Val Claret is actually more than 2h from GVA

Yes - his criteria are "book now", "less than 2h" and "good snow". He is going to have to compromise on one of them. I'd compromise on the first. He might have other priorities.

Agreed they should book accommodation last minute as availability increases due to visitor numbers dropping off after February holidays and potentially many March holiday makers will delay until Easter which is early this year.
ski holidays
patrick! wrote:
Going back to the OP's request, Val Claret is actually more than 2h from GVA.

The closest high altitude (above 1500m) resorts from GVA are Grand Massif (Flaine, about 1.10h) or PDS (Avoriaz, about 1.20h, but M/LG is even closer). Ok, add Cham ("Grands" Montets) but the resort itself is lower. Then Verbier but you're getting to 2h.

1h30 to Le Châble on a clear run. 10 mins more up to Verbier.
2h30 by train.

I don’t think you can beat it in March for good skiers. Freeride World Tour final (Verbier Xtreme) is the week after.
latest report
What @BobinCH, says. Verbier is fantastic at anytime of year. Personally I’d stay clear of the PDS this year.
ski holidays
Except if you have to drive to La Tsoumaz for your 4V accommodation (cry)
snow conditions
Convenient for Geneva, look at Villar, Les Diablerets or even Gsteig. Yes I know it's expensive Switzerland but it may well surprise you.
In this season of "strange weather" it may be a super investment having access to Glacier 3000.
snow conditions
What are the scheduled arrival and departure times of your flights?

If you end up compromising on your travel time and want to keep every Swiss resort as a possiblilty, then the Full price Saver Day Pass (no Half Fare Travelcard) with SBB (Swiss rail company) for Thursday 14th March is currently 61 CHF. That would allow you to get any train to any destination in Switzerland on that day

You could get cheaper advance tickets for specific trains, and a point-to-point ticket to Le Chable for Verbier would currently be slightly cheaper, but most destinations wouldn't be and tickets will just go up in price the closer to the date of travel.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy