Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2022/2023 (Dec 2 - April 23)

Poster: A snowHead
Re Flight diversions Innsbruck for 1-2 hour flight durations

Few years ago you could end up in Munich,Stuttgart,Zurich and even Milan

It's quite rare nowadays ..

They know the conditions etc before they take off .

The snowploughs at Innsbruck clear and heat blast the runway very fast in snowstorms.

They can fly blind into Innsbruck ..even with wind

They all have to be Cat 3 Pilots (same for Salzburg , Madiera and few others in the EU)

From a Transavia Pilot .

For Innsbruck nearly all the extra training (80%) is focussed around one engine failure at last minute and how to abort & clear safely go around or fly to another airport..

The bottom line if theres an issue at Inns bruck Airlines will wait it out at the departure airport ..how many minutes/hours is airline dependent.

Or the Flight will be ..

Cancelled ....

Im not sure if Brits are covered by EU compensation nowadays ... so good Insurance is essential ..

Take the train it's far more relaxing Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
thanks @markymark29 and @munich_irish all noted.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
They dont fly blind into Innsbruck !!!!
Twice in 3 years we have been diverted because of fog/cloud , 2 years ago to to Munich , only another 20 minutes on plane but because we were unexpeced the ground crew didnt get our bags out for 3 hours and then this year on sat 14th january , we sat on plane at Gatwick for 90 minutes because there was low cloud at Innsbruck , and when we eventually did take off the pilot said we might need to divert or refuel , when we got the the valley half of it was glorious sunshine but the airport was covered in cloud , the pilot attempted or half attempetd to land in the cloud but pulled up halfway into his run , we diverted to frederickschafen to refuel and the attempted again at innsbruck by which time the sun had burnt theorugh the cloud , so we landed about 3 hours late .
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@gwatts10,
Quote:
They dont fly blind into Innsbruck !!!!
I think it all depends on the airline instrumentation/crew training etc - We've been on a flight diverted to MUC whilst Lauda Airlines were happily landing at INN

Some good discussion from SH pilots on other threads ...@chocksaway discusses ILS landing at INN here...
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3255322&highlight=innsbruck#3255322

And there's discussion of why planes often take off with a light fuel load and refuel at MUC here...
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2225257&highlight=inn#2225257

Quote:
With a limited permitted weight we cannot generally offload baggage (as there are rarely any later flights that day to repatriate said bags, it's not like Geneva with lots of flights per day!), which leaves us only one option - take less fuel and have to stop on the way home to refuel
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the info all. We’re ready for an adventure either way, but landing on time at Innsbruck might allow us a little slope time on Thu afternoon if all other logistics go well. My simple thinking says that if there’s a ton of snow expected but freezing level is c. 1000m, then Innsbruck airport at 580m elevation should just be chucking it with rain. I’ve experienced an instrument landing at GVA, it was hilarious. Pilots are generally awesome.
Now, I just need to read back over this and other posts to plot a 2 1/2 day ski plan.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

I’ve experienced an instrument landing at GVA, it was hilarious. Pilots are generally awesome.

If it is cat 3, ie visibility less than 700m forward and 15m vertically the the computer will be flying, the pilot is a passenger just like you except they are closer to the crash.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Maybe 5cm on our deck this morning.

Sunny morning yesterday, that gave way to a stormy, but dry afternoon. Schindlerbahn and Kapallbahn went onto windhold.

The StA website has downgraded the expected snowfall for later in the week… https://www.stantonamarlberg.com/en/weather-report
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/forecast/u22hfk8u6#?date=2023-01-31

Looks just too warm for snow at Innsbruck. Climate change can sometimes be helpful !
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The forecasts changed a bit, less snow incoming that was foreseen.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Saw an announcement from DB saying that they have started an ICE service from Hamburg to St Anton, via Hanover, Munich, and Innsbruck. Don’t have any further details - check out the DB website if interested.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Folks

Local forecaster is still calling for Heavy snowfall on Thursday.. Will start on Wednesday evening ..

___________________________________________________________________________________________-

There is a Heavy Flu/Covid like illness going around the town... Many staff have been struck down and I guess Tourists as well ...

______________________________________________________________________________________________
A few cms lastnight

https://www.youtube.com/live/mqoYZFyioVs?

Not so long ago .....before they assasinated the town..

ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well the local weather reporters for all the other resorts locally have downgraded this storm now for the area... hopefully it's wrong and does come further west
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Further downgrade in this morning’s forecast. Now only “weak snowfall” on Thursday and nothing on Friday.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ulmerhutte,
ZAMG still saying heavy snow for thursday, and another front with heavy snow fridaynight/saturday.
Meteoblue says more than 50 cm for thursday, 30-50 cm for saturday. (For Lech)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bergfex gives a lot of snow for this week
ski holidays
@Langerzug, happy to be proven wrong, but the StA Arlberg website has been better at forecasting this season.

Snowing lightly at present, but quite windy.
snow report
@nunex, snowing now - bring it on!
latest report
How likely do you think it is that they will close the road to Lech? I read that it's sometimes closed after very heavy snowfall due to avalanche danger. We have accommodation booked from Saturday (costed an arm and a leg) and it would be unfortunate not to be able to get there...
snow conditions
@jaceknowak, It happens and we've been stuck in Lech before but they always open it within a day or 2 unless its absoutely exceptional, which i'd be surprised if this is.

Not sure where you are travelling in from but if in car worth booking a fully cancellable room down the valley just in case i'd suggest.

On the scale of things to worry about i'd err on the positive and suggest you're going to have the best snow of the season, perfect timing! Enjoy.

Or, book a heli transfer with Wucher if you are in deep, and want to ski deep!!
snow conditions
@jaceknowak, what @Markymark29 says. It happens.
It is definitely something to keep an eye on, and change travel plans if possible (but difficult of course)
latest report
@Markymark29 hah, you're right, looks like best snow of the season and that's the correct attitude! I was worried it would be not enough snow, now I'm worried it will be too much Very Happy
We'll be having a car so we will cope, in worst case we can even go to a completely different resort for a day or two (which would be an additional cost to an already expensive trip as our apartment in Lech is not cancellable but well, YOLO...), next week looks like perfect conditions everywhere in Austria.
latest report
@ulmerhutte, www.zamg.at is the national Austrian weather service. They are best.
snow report
@Langerzug, I am well aware of the former. I can always rely on you to state the obvious or repeat what others have already written. If you actually skied here, you have something interesting to write. Try it, you might like it.
snow conditions
The latest GFS forecast for St Anton is not optimistic for much snow (a lot less than the forecasts from yesterday) though suggests cold next week. Henri @ Wepowder says about tomorrow onwards

Quote:
The new run from the American model already shows markedly less precipitation for the regions west of Innsbruck, again due to increasing air pressure from the west. Just goes to show that even details of a solid Nordstau that has been on the weather maps for days can still change. So for Switzerland this is not good news and also for the Arlberg there is still some uncertainty as to whether so much snow can actually start falling. I ultimately expect around 30 to 50 centimetres in the Arlberg, but at the same time I must also add that it is quite possible that some more will still fall. It is not a typical Schneeloch for nothing.

which is pretty much what the Arlberg forecast suggests.
latest report
@ulmerhutte, omg, what’s your problem?
Clearly not the usual laidback Australian…

This year I’m celebrating 30 years Arlberg.
ZAMG has proven to be the best, and quite logically so.
No need for commerce like WePowder. (Which is Dutch btw; talking about ‘being local’)

Just trying to be helpful here.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 1-02-23 14:13; edited 4 times in total
ski holidays
@munich_irish, that's a blog post from yesterday, backed up with the images he included. If you look at WePowder's charts today, they have swung the other way, with the Arlberg getting 1m+ over the weekend and Innsbruck resorts hitting the top 10 (Patscherkofel Laughing ).

Either way, snow is coming, somewhere between “lots” and “shitloads” Cool
ski holidays
Snow-Forecast, which a few days ago predicted close to 1m, has just issued a prediction of 25cm over the next 2 days.

It seems likely that the data sets must be, to use a technical term, “all over the place” Happy, making it difficult to come to a consensus position.

It has now stopped snowing and visibility has improved.
snow conditions
some snow better than no snow so lets be thankful. generally there is always more snow in the arlberg than is foretasted. My humble opinion only...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Scarlet, I never believe the Wepowder automatic forecast, it is way too optimistic, been disappointed too often! The latest GFS ensembles (which is the model I believe Wepowder use) has changed markedly over the past 12 hours to now suggesting not much snow at all for the Arlberg (I cant post details as the image site is down but can be seen at https://www.wxcharts.com/?panel=default&model=gfs,gfs,gfs,gfs&region=alps&chart=overview,2mtemp,accprecip,snowdepth&run=06&step=105&plottype=ens&lat=47.129&lon=10.266&skewtstep=0 ) but heavy falls further east, I suspect the exact boundary between heavy snow and not much is difficult to predict so easy to say lots for Kitzbühel but not so easy to work out for St Anton maybe there will be a decent fall but maybe not. Better chance for Innsbruck as further east
snow report
@munich_irish, why are you (too) looking at non-local English weather forecasts?

ZAMG today is quite clear:
Thursday: heavy snow, up to 50 cm also for Nordstau areas Arlberg (this indeed might mean that St.Anton village, Kapall, Rendl get less than that)
Friday: nice, sunny
Saturday: heavy snowfall
Sunday into Monday: heavy snowfall
ski holidays
@stanton, I presume the present shell garage is in the same place Very Happy
snow report
@Langerzug, because all the weather forecast sites (the one I linked to is not "English") are based upon one of the various academic models (the main ones being GFS - American & ECMWF - European) no idea which one ZAMG is based on but it will be one of them. It is much better, assuming you can read them to look at the original data, which is updated 4 times a day hence the changes. There is always scope for different interpretations, Henri's blog is pretty good but others will interpret the data differently. The automatic algorithms whether at Wepowder, Snow Forecast, Bergfex, ZAMG or the Dutch equivalent are simply automatically generated forecasts. It would be more useful if there was someone based in St Anton or Lech giving their interpretation of the basic data but I dont believe that exists. The latest GFS run from 12:00 today for St Anton suggests moderate snowfall until Monday with cold but dry weather after that. ECM is suggesting more snow which extends further west.
ski holidays
Chceck the Local he is always correct

und

Kühe wahrnehmen und riechen Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
@munich_irish, I think it is exactly ZAMG who is filtering the right data and details.
Something we (assuming you are not a meterologist either) should not dare to do.
According to my experience it’s ZAMG who is performing best over the years.
For Arlberg it’s best to follow the forecast for Vorarlberg, not Tyrol. (Also for St.Anton, bearing in mind that snow amounts diminish east of the line Arlbergpass-Valluga)
There is a lot of snow coming, thursday, saturday, sunday and monday
Friday is gonna be very mild, and saturday stormy.
snow conditions
Maybe 5 - 10cm on the deck this morning and currently snowing lightly.

8:30am Update: 155cm on the Galzig, meaning we got ~30cm overnight. Predictably a delayed start on most lifts.
snow conditions
avalanche or wind hold?
latest report
Just thursdaymorning and 30 cm on Galzig, 20 cm in Lech, 10 cm in St.Anton, and snow chains obligatory (except 4x4 vehicles uphill) for Arlbergpass.
Roadclosures in sight I say!
Sounds like everything will be fine after all Very Happy
snow conditions
@hobbiteater, both. Steissbachtal closed because of avi risk. Wind gusting over 60km/hr.

Fabulous skiing. Crowds not too bad. Despite the temps, the snow has a fair amount of moisture, ie it is packing down fairly quickly.

Thought an early lunch might be smart, but the Galzig is less than half full.
snow report
What's the live music apres-ski scene like this year in St Anton ?

Last year we went on Mar 5 which is when live music first was allowed again but the only places that seemed to take advantage of that were the Murrmel (with Gunar) and the underground with James the singer/piano player. There was no live bands on at the Heustadl or the Griabli during that week.

The underground is gone now (and James is recovering from his leg op anyway), I'm sure Gunar will be in the Murmell as normal but how are the other places this year, are there any rock bands playing the Griabli this year ? and who's playing at the Heustadl now ? The starmix band seem to disappear the year before Covid.

Is there any other places worth visiting ?
snow conditions
JohnS4 wrote:
The underground is gone now (and James is recovering from his leg op anyway),

Do you mean "The Underground on the piste" or the one in the village that closed years ago?

https://de-de.facebook.com/UndergroundOnThePistee/
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy