Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2022/2023 (Dec 2 - April 23)

Poster: A snowHead
I have not heard that “rumour” being spoken by anybody whose opinion I rate.

There were minimal lift closures, or lifts running intermittently, last winter. From memory, they included Schöngraben, Riffel 2, Vallugabahn 1&2, and Fangbahn. The Langerzug “poma” access lift opened very late in the season. There were also 1 or 2 lifts in Warth/Schröcken that did not run. All in all, a minor inconvenience.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@ulmerhutte, I wouldn’t call those lifts not opening a minor convenience, Riffl2, Schoengraben and Warth/ Schröcken are pretty important in my plans, all go-to lifts. I’m keeping an open mind with provisional accommodation booking only, and not booking travel yet, may swerve until later in season. Keen to see what happens re snow making too. I was speaking to a guy I know at lift co in August and he wasn’t sure about things, and prospects don’t seem to have improved any 2 months on regards energy restrictions etc.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Markymark29, I also considered Arlberg for this Christmas but I was hesitant due to general early winter considerations (how packed evth will be for that week and how many kms will be available) and also energy plus post-draught considerations.
What are their chances to use snow cannons and open as many pistes as possible?
This is why I incline towards CH. During the Covid ski seasons they were determined to keep the resorts functioning due to their economic relevance, while France and Austria had no problem shutting things down (relatively).
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@drporat, we normally are there for Christmas, generally most open apart from Rendl area which they always hold back (rocky terrain high up) and it’s all snow covered from town upwards, usually mostly natural high up (only once mid 90’s did we have no opportunity to ski). No real problems previously but I am thinking this year abbag may not be allowed to use snow making facilities as early on or as widespread, and also may potentially close lifts, or slow them. It’ll be interesting to see what happens when temps drop and normal snow making traditionally starts, webcams will be taking a few viewings.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
drporat wrote:
@Markymark29,
This is why I incline towards CH. During the Covid ski seasons they were determined to keep the resorts functioning due to their economic relevance, while France and Austria had no problem shutting things down (relatively).

Obviously this had nothing to do with difference in economic relevance, since that economic relevance is completely same in Austria and France.
The reason that the Swiss resorts stayed open is their cantonal stubbornness and selfcenteredness, and the fact that they did not care about Zürich and Bern hospitals couldn't cope with patients, many of whom were weekend skiers that contracted the virus in hotels and skilifts....Even Angela Merkel was not amused about the Swiss approach. To put it mildly.
And then they had to lock English families in their Verbier chalets. "Swiss Quality" rolling eyes
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Langerzug wrote:
drporat wrote:
@Markymark29,

Obviously this had nothing to do with economic relevance, since that economic relevance is completely same in Austria and France.
The reason that the Swiss resorts stayed open is their cantonal stubbornness and selfcenteredness, and the fact that they did not care about Zürich and Bern hospitals couldn't cope with patients, many of whom were weekend skiers that contracted the virus in hotels and skilifts....Even Angela Merkel was not amused about the Swiss approach. To put it mildly.

You’re still sore about this aren’t you? Alain Berset could have closed the ski resorts if he’d wanted to. But he didn’t. He set guidelines which the Cantons followed. And it worked out very well in the Valais thanks very much.

And that’s despite all your doom mongering, wrong predictions and putting down anyone who offered an alternative view.

@drporat, is essentially right that Switzerland is a safer bet than Austria based on recent history.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Langerzug, bottom line is the Swiss cared enough for skiing, be it due to financial reasoning (we need the money it generates) or narrow sighting as you wrote (our canton doesn't need to care about the rest) or careful planning ahead.
Not to enter a futile geopolitical discussion, those are my reasons (right or wrong) to believe CH has a higher chance to open more mileage this Christmas.
I can cancel till December 9 and I would rather return to Arlberg according to past years' usual December as @Markymark29 thankfully described.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 13-10-22 9:46; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@BobinCH, I prefer Angela Merkel over Alain Berset. Too much hypocrisy in CHwitzerland. Any Qatar planes currently on Geneva Airport?
You might wanna read up on the way Brussels is looking at CHwitzerland.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Markymark29 wrote:
@ulmerhutte, I wouldn’t call those lifts not opening a minor convenience, Riffl2, Schoengraben and Warth/ Schröcken are pretty important in my plans, all go-to lifts.

I will concede that Riffel2 is key to a number of offpiste lines, but the others? I saw plenty of people skinning the Riffel 2 slope, so yeah, I bet they would have appreciated some mech help.

To some extent, the same was true of Vallugabahn 1&2. The people who wanted to do Valluga Nord or West, skinned up from the top of Schindlerbahn. Plenty did it.

Schöngraben? You can access the Törli via Kapall, and ditto for any of the lines that return you to Alt StA via the forest. If however you wanted to do laps of the piste, then yeah, you would have to ski down to Kapall.

Fang? It did actually run periodically, especially on storm days, when the upper mountain was closed. On good weather days, I did not see it not running as a big loss.

Warth/Schröcken? As far as I remember, only the lift one over from the Sonnenjet, maybe the Sonnencruiser?, was not running.

Langerzug? Though not groomed until the lift opened, was being skied by people dropping in from Ruffikopf and staying on a high traverse.

Zürs? As far as I remember, all lifts ran. Ditto, Lech, other than the t-bar(?) on the far side of Rudalpe.

Stuben? From memory, the lift beginner lifts on the far side of the road did not run. I don’t suppose either of us would use them?

Sonnenkopf? I only spent 1 day there, but I cannot recall any not running.

Yes, there was less grooming, but did it stop me from enjoying my stay? Nope!

None of that was a major impact to me, except perhaps Riffel 2, but hey ho every one of us has different wants and priorities.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@drporat, good to read you agree on Zermatt vs Arlberg Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Not sure where all the "rumours" of lifts or snow cannons being unable to run due to energy shortages are coming from. I dont look at the Austrian media often but here in the Bavarian media there has been talk of reducing the amount of Christmas lights, turning down the heating in public building by a degree or two, not a mention of restrictions on ski or other leisure operations. I can see that smaller places that struggle to cover costs anyway are going to find it even more difficult if energy costs go up significantly but I cant see that is going to be an issue for the larger areas. St Anton has its own electricity generation which does not rely upon external sources of energy and (being realistic) if you can afford to ski in the Arlberg then lift prices going up by 5% or even 10% are going to make little difference. Staff shortages are likely to be more of an issue.

In my experience a good deal of the Arlberg does not open early even when the snow conditions would allow it. If you want guaranteed early season skiing then Ischgl or (dare I say it) Zermatt are better options.

I am a bit dubious about the prospects for early snow, based on longer term forecasts but not sure they are more relevant than what the local marmots are up to Very Happy , and suspect I will be sipping glühwein in a Christkindlmarkt without decorative lights rather than making the trip to the mountains.

I am sure @stanton will be along shortly to tell us that we are all doomed.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@munich_irish, They may be instructed to give (ahem.....sell) the hydro generated energy to the grid. Hope not clearly but I know there's concern locally.....saying no more wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@munich_irish, I largely agree with what you say here. I can't find it now, but there was an article the other day that stated that Austrian tourism uses approximately 1.5% of the total energy for the country annually, and winter sports accounts for 0.9%, so in the grand scheme of things, not particularly significant. There has been lots of talk about turning the lights out (e.g. on monuments at 11pm), but this is mostly symbolic as areas such as Innsbruck have spent the last 5-10 years converting all the lighting to LED which in itself cut the energy usage a lot.

I have heard mentions of slowing the lifts down slightly or turning the heated seats off, but I don't know if this will happen. There isn't really talk of no skiing – I think the industry has suffered enough the last two years, and there will be a lot of pressure to keep going.

Another big energy user is heated swimming pools, especially the outdoor ones that some of the new fancy hotels have had installed. Turning those off will affect fewer people though, and may not reduce guest numbers significantly, I don't know.

@Markymark29, presumably the energy generated by the hydro enters the grid anyway, it's just that the area can claim to be offsetting their usage with some sustainable production?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Markymark29, concern that all those politicians in Vienna will be "stealing" "their" electricity and interfere with their god given right to extract money from visitors!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Folks

FIS races have minimal effect on the terrain available to Ski.. They have these races reguarly in St Anton they are very adapted in handlng the event race course & Tourist experience together..

Regarding lift closures last year . Valluga 1&2 were closed all season except for a few days for maintenance/opertinal runs & off course the Weiße Rausch (April)

Schindlergratbahn had some techincal problems but also staffing issuse due to Covid ..

The larger Lift systems requires a Qualified Technical (kind of Team Leader) Liftie .... When they go down with covid the Lift is out of commision unless they can find qualified staffing replacement..

There are very simpleways for the Lift Company to save energy...

https://www.snowindustrynews.com/articles/ecodrive-energy-saving-and-sustainable-innovation-by-leitner

Kuntschnee ...(Artificial Snow)

Last season this was hardly used at all in December & January due to the early season natural dump...

Town Noise Ordnance will continue (even tighten) ... i.e No Alcohol on the Street and Quiet after (hour TBD) ..

Someone mentioned bookings down ? No ne knows what the Lift comapny is ging t charge for tickets come December ... The current publishd prices come with a warning of price hikes..... This is a huge issue for many people ...
ski holidays
Folks

Finally the unusually high temperatures are changing... Going to get much colder and the First decent Dump of the Season

Maybe 40cms arond 1500metres and a lot more above

_______________________________________________________________--

Winter Tires are now compulsory from toda Nov 1st to April 15th

https://www.oeamtc.at/thema/vorschriften-strafen/winterreifenpflicht-in-oesterreich-16186948

Took a quick peek at the webcams just now and got a micro-depression. Finally some uplifting news Smile
snow report
@Kimpadoo, yes, it is warmer than usual, but it is way too early to get depressed. It is only 1 Nov. As posted above, there is a change in sight and you should some white stuff on the cams by Friday/Saturday.

The snow guns are in place, all but confirming that at least some snow-making will run this winter. Further details, like any restrictions on lift ops and heating limits, are not yet known to me.
ski holidays
Well i should clarify that my depression starts when the season is over, and gets gradually worse until autumn/cold comes and im soon back on the slopes Blush

Havent been to the alps since jan 2020. Im so excited, gonna bomb down every piste and try to drink all the beer in Austria at apres Very Happy
snow report
Now snowing in St Anton. Right on cue!
ski holidays
ulmerhutte wrote:

Sadly very warm temps next week is going to reverse most of that!
snow report
kitenski wrote:
ulmerhutte wrote:

Sadly very warm temps next week is going to reverse most of that!

Yup. Snow in November builds stoke, no matter how long you have been skiing, but if you have many seasons under your skis, you know it tells you little about how the coming season will pan out.
snow report
@ulmerhutte, +1......i'm not at all interested until it gets to 2nd week December and then I start thinking about conditions, early snow is by no means a precursor to great January powder which is what it's all about imv. So long as it stays cool from mid November onwards all will be good, it's still mountainbike season in Arlberg for those lucky enough to be able to enjoy it right now.
ski holidays
Bring plenty of "Bargeld/Cash" this season.... We are here to to relieve you of it all !

Bier price this season Shocked

Tipping is compulsory if you want to be served again Very Happy Very Happy

Moose open Dec 2nd

KK tbd

Fanghouse open
snow report
Could someone help with best places to search for accomodation? Group of 7 adults, already have a pre-reserve for 18-25 Feb 2023 but wanted to explore more options in St. Anton.

Thanks!
snow report
@nunex,

https://www.stantonamarlberg.com/en/accommodation/accommodations
snow report
Markymark29 wrote:
@nunex,

https://www.stantonamarlberg.com/en/accommodation/accommodations

Thanks! Already checked that, not much of a choice though...

I'll keep looking for private, non-listed offers.
ski holidays
@nunex, you are aware that’s -after christmas- the busiest week of the season?

(But actually this year is not so bad due to the energy-crisis, usual guests from Netherlands, Belgium, Germany are considering not to go skiing this season)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
From the FIS:

Quote:
Due to the fact that the cold weather during the last days were unfortunately to late and the still unfavorable forecast, Lech Zürs am Arlberg woman’s and men’s parallel events are cancelled.
#fisalpine

No great surprise.
snow report
Langerzug wrote:
(But actually this year is not so bad due to the energy-crisis, usual guests from Netherlands, Belgium, Germany are considering not to go skiing this season)

This is somewhat true and backed up by a recent survey conducted for Bavarian Winter Sportswear manaufacturer "Schöffel"

Ski resorts and winter resorts are expected to feel the effects of high inflation in the coming season. Many tourists question their holidays.

According to a newsurvey, more than a quarter of potential winter holidaymakers (26 percent) want to do withoutholidaysin the snow due to rising costs, another quarter (23 percent) are thinking about austerity measures.

https://www.t-online.de/leben/reisen/skiurlaub/id_100069784/inflation-skigebiete-vor-krise-viele-wollen-am-winterurlaub-sparen-10421349.html

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

There be around 10cms on Wednesday but the Warm weather will contiinue into next week (46 and looks like week 47)

Could be starting the season with just Östhang or possible delay ...
snow report
Any recommendations for cheapish accommodation for a long weekend at some point this season?
ski holidays
coochiemudlo wrote:
Any recommendations for cheapish accommodation for a long weekend at some point this season?

Most weekenders or day trippers come in from Germany by Car and if they ovenight stay down the valley where Pettneu, Flirsch, Strengen etc in family run guest houses.

In St Anton short stays are genuinely not liked by the proprietors and would only offer them up at the very last minute (day before)

You could try the big Hotels who will do nightly rates probably looking at €200 (Min) per night ..

I guess if you can afford to fly for a weekend on the slopes this should not be a problem !
latest report
@coochiemudlo, I regularly do weekends and it is never easy to find places to stay especially in peak weeks (generally February). What I do is start looking about 10 days before i know I have time for a skiing weekend. Look at the tourist office accommodation site, https://www.stantonamarlberg.com/en/accommodation/accommodations. Mostly you will see expensive hotel rooms (I would say €200/night is an underestimate more €400 - €500) but there will be a few less expensive places. Whilst most places prefer full weeks (obviously) there are likely to be a few places with rooms because of a cancellation or whatever. If you see something that might work contact the hotel or guest house immediately as rooms go very quickly. Prices have gone up a lot in recent years as the older traditional "Hotel Garni" have been upgraded and so become more expensive. You need to look at some of the outlying areas too.
ski holidays
stanton wrote:
Bring plenty of "Bargeld/Cash" this season.... We are here to to relieve you of it all !

Bier price this season Shocked

Tipping is compulsory if you want to be served again Very Happy Very Happy

Moose open Dec 2nd

KK tbd

Fanghouse open

The Underground? Now that Joans retired.
snow report
The Underground has been sold ....A bar or restaurant on that terrain/plot is not permitted .

Many have lost their lives here....

http://youtube.com/v/f0guMRp1gVQ
snow conditions
Schöngraben/Törli is quite known for its immense avalanche danger (it's in the name actually; "pretty grave")
It is good the guys made the video, but on the other hand, they -being Germanic/Austrian- should/could have known about the danger on a day with fresh snow...

Been there too, many years ago (on a save day, with old snow). It's a very pretty and special place, especially the Törli itself. Of which there are- surprisingly- no pictures to be found in the net....
snow conditions
Regarding the FIS races in January https://www.worldcup-stanton.com/en/racecourse/
Anyone knows if they shut off for that week the short button lift (mulden) that's right after Ziel stadium?
We always used it first thing in the morning to catch up some speed in order to reach Galzig/Gampen by skis.
snow report
drporat wrote:
Regarding the FIS races in January https://www.worldcup-stanton.com/en/racecourse/
Anyone knows if they shut off for that week the short button lift (mulden) that's right after Ziel stadium?
We always used it first thing in the morning to catch up some speed in order to reach Galzig/Gampen by skis.

I've been there race weekends, never noticed Mulden TBH, but I don't think Mulden would be affected, it's away from the course. The course comes down Fang, which is open to piste skiers to Nasserein on race days, as is access to Rodelhutte from Gampen, via a temporary tunnel under the course.
snow report
Lovisa Rosengren Showcasing some of the Classic (well known) Off Piste routes

http://youtube.com/c/LovisaRosengren/videos

http://youtube.com/v/DJ1fqztmQIQ

http://youtube.com/v/281E2HvZju0

Renewded Galzig Mountain Resturant& New Terrace

https://snipboard.io/e5mXps.jpg
latest report
Langerzug wrote:
Schöngraben/Törli is quite known for its immense avalanche danger (it's in the name actually; "pretty grave")

Graben is ditch not grave, so it is a beautiful ditch. Sorry don't mean to be pedantic, but for years i also had heard it translated as beautiful grave - which serves as a better warning.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy