Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2022/2023 (Dec 2 - April 23)

Poster: A snowHead
Harakiri and Langerzug are very different. Harakiri is a constant relentlessly steep, boilerplate, smooth piste. But, as long you have skis with sharp edges and can parallel turn confidently then there is no problem. You can see the entirety of the slope and the run out, it's not a long piste and is straight.
In my experience Langerzug is a long ski route, probably soft snow with ample space to turn.
As mentioned above, being tentative on any tricky slope is the main issue, if you have the technique then believe in it. There is a saying - there is nothing to fear but fear itself.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@drporat, The only run somewhere else I could compare it with would be Diretissima in Kitzbühel. This is an official piste but has lots of signs "70% slope, experts only" etc. That run tends to be moguled in part but not sure about the 70% bit, though some of the steeper bits are narrower than Langerzug. I have done Langerzug a couple of times but in well nigh perfect conditions ie bright with good snow. I would not have wanted to do it if the snow or light was not so good. I would say managing speed is the most important bit, take it slowly and it is not that difficult, it is more the psychological bit of dealing with all the warning signs. I am not convinced about comments about it being the most "extreme" ski route in the Arlberg, there are plenty that are beyond me (certainly these days) like Tanegg or Schindlerkar Steilhang which are potentially a lot more difficult.

As you can see from this video not many "experts" skiing down on this day, seems to be more skidding than carving (I am sure I would be the same!)
http://youtube.com/v/jXXSkvHYDyw
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ulmerhutte, @munich_irish, great answers and many thanks.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Langerzug has never been open when I've been there in Easter from what I remember? The drag lift always seems shut, assume not enough snow low down to get back to the village?? Hopefully out in March and it'll be open!!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
BTW: on @munich_irish’s video, Langerzug does not start until ~2:33 in the video. The first bit is a relaxing cruise down the piste to the access draglift. That can be skipped if the snow conditions are safe/good and you are confident/competent enough down from Ruffikopf under the cable car, via the avi barriers.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Fresh snowfall looking encouraging on the webcams, staying cold too. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@kitenski, During Easter probably avalanche danger is the issue, too warm.
@munich_irish, Langerzug is not being advertised as the most extreme skiroute, it is the 'steepest groomed piste'. And snowconditions are perfect most of season, given that it is completely facing North. When it is open, it is groomed. When it's closed, the Schafalplift stays closed too.
@ulmerhutte I did encounter that short incline after the steep part too, once. But in general it's not there (probably related to grooming, or snow quantity, or avalanches maybe (the 4 men of the infamous accident were buried there....figure that)), and not a big issue anyway. Always nice to stop right there and look back up. Before entering the pretty forest.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 24-11-22 10:48; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ulmerhutte wrote:
BTW: on @munich_irish’s video, Langerzug does not start until ~2:33 in the video. The first bit is a relaxing cruise down the piste to the access draglift. That can be skipped if the snow conditions are safe/good and you are confident/competent enough down from Ruffikopf under the cable car, via the avi barriers.

But it is a pity to skip that. Great piste in even greater scenery. Even the ride in the drag lift is lovely, especially when the cablecar is crossing high above your head.
And as mentioned: When Langerzug is closed, it is because of avalanche danger. And Langerzug itself is more dangerous than the bowl underneath Rüfikopf.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 24-11-22 10:56; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Langerzug, Just after the first flat section before it kicks right and left around the S Bend it's great to drop into the snowfield on the left and then double back through the trees onto the piste rejoining at the bottom of the S bend, the snow in there is quite often untouched and really deep. Only takes 10 minutes as a diversion but well worth it, low av risk too, it's pretty flat and not exposed, some sluffing in the trees where it's steeper but it's generally OK.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Markymark29, ha, you need to specify that a bit more, I'm not understanding what/where you are pointing at.
But in general I'm not so keen on going beside the piste anymore. Been there, done that. Too much hassle, whilst the piste is so lovely. Getting old probably.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Langerzug, If I knew how to post photo's on here i'd drop one on, but I gave up trying 2-3 years ago.

Basically you schuss the last bit at the bottom of the Lz piste, over the river and up the slight rise, glide and pole left if necessary for a few 100 metres then trees on the left and if you stop and turn around you can see the main off-piste route down the face in front of you, the one that goes from behind the top of the drag. The piste then drops away and does a steepish right/ left S bend. 200-300m before that you jump into the snow field to the left and at the end of it rather than going straight forward (steep and exposed) you double back right through the trees (quite steep in the trees but great powder) and onto the piste, joining where the main off-piste run joins the piste near the river and it goes down to Stubenbach for the bus. Hope that makes sense.....
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Langerzug wrote:
ulmerhutte wrote:

But it is a pity to skip that. Great piste in even greater scenery. Even the ride in the drag lift is lovely, especially when the cablecar is crossing high above your head.
And as mentioned: When Langerzug is closed, it is because of avalanche danger. And Langerzug itself is more dangerous than the bowl underneath Rüfikopf.

I agree… it is an enchanting ride up the draglift. The views are stunningly beautiful. Pristine white desert, punctuated by hunter’s huts on the right, and cable cars passing overhead like low-flying airliners. Equally, in good snow, the line under the cable car is a delight - turn after turn on moderate powder slopes. The solution: do LZ twice!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Langerzug, The official Lech site linked above has a headline
Quote:
Probably the most extreme ski route in the Arlberg region

I agree that it isnt but the tourist office likes to hype it all.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Markymark29, set up a free account with https://imgbb.com/ (you can use your google login, no need to set up a new account). Simply upload the relevant image, copy the embed code (make sure you use the direct link option), put the address between the "[img][/img]" code which appears on the preview screen when posting. For the Madloch image I posted earlier the text string is [img]https://i.ibb.co/strGHfn/Madloch-2.jpg[/img (put ] here). The most common problem is the "wrong" sort of link, it has to be similar to the text here with the file name detailed. It should be a "direct or full link" . Also be careful not to post too large an image
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@munich_irish, even easier, go here, click new post and upload image here https://imgur.com/

Then click the three dots ... and chose Get share links, press Copy Link button next to BBCode (Forums)

and paste it into here Smile and it's snowing in Stuben village Smile

snow conditions
munich_irish wrote:
@Langerzug, The official Lech site linked above has a headline
Quote:
Probably the most extreme ski route in the Arlberg region

I agree that it isnt but the tourist office likes to hype it all.

Oh, that is bad indeed.
Wasn't too impressed with the Lech tourist office lately already....their website sucks
ski holidays
@Markymark29, Aha, now I think I know what you mean. Somewhere between Tannegg and Langerzug.
Tannegg...that's 25 years ago. Still feel my thighs. Toofy Grin
snow report
How often is the langerzug actually pisted as in the video above. My memory of it was that it was always natural. Or perhaps I was only on it after dumps? is it like the scindler Kar in terms of when its pisted?
ski holidays
@mcg, they groom it asap, in general within a day after snowfall.
Dependent on avalanche danger.
latest report
@mcg, groomed every day, unless unsafe snow conditions prevent it. There are several places around Ruffikopf that display the status of LZ.
ski holidays
Langerzug

ONce you have done the easyway you try to up your endurance a bit Very Happy Very Happy

http://youtube.com/v/4Gq640D4nnw

Not sure if they doing the event this season ..

www.rüfi900.at
latest report
Ischgl has been great the last couple of days ..
Always good to tune up here before the Arlberg .kicks off..

Basel & Amsterdam crews will be in

https://www.trofana-alm.at/

For Apres ...

Could be a long one .. Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Covid time ?
snow report
Zurich to St.Anton.
Looking for some advice on getting to St.Anton from Zurich Airport in late January.
latest report
Take a bus (Arlberg express) straight from the airport or the train from Zürich Hbf
snow conditions
@Kimpadoo,
Thanks .
Our departure flight leaves at 11 am .
We would have to be in airport for 9 ish. Is there an early departure from St.anton on Saturday mornings.
ski holidays
https://arlbergexpress.com/en/services/zurich-airport-bus-transfer

Gonna be an early departure at 0530 if you want to be there 9 ish. Havent used none of these services because i generally fly with transfer included. This year im doing a DIY-trip so i have researched the topic and im leaning towards taking the train from Zürich and back.
ski holidays
@Kimpadoo, We missed the boat on a great deal with Crystal so now looks like DIY if we go to St Anton. Diy package is more expensive so the train looks cheaper if the times suit.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Chick, I regularly travel between Zurich airport and St. Anton in the winter and use the direct train ("Railjet") from Zurich main station (Zurich hbf), every two hours through the day. It's the service between Zurich and Vienna and takes about 2hrs 40 mins to St. Anton. Very comfortable and there is a buffet. Buy tickets through OBB (Austrian rail, sometimes discounted (sparscheine). There is an early service from St. Anton, from memory about 6 am gets to Zurich main station for around 8.30am. It is the "Nightjet" service from Zagreb to Zurich.
Zurich main station hbf to airport is served by regular services probably every 10 mins, some local shuttles and some intercity, they all stop at Zurich airport.
IMHO the train is the best way, comfortable with dramatic scenery to view.
You can also buy through SBB Swiss rail but I've found OBB cheaper.
snow report
@Chick, agree train is the best, most reliable and comfortable option. You do need to book as they can be busy. If you book far enough in advance it is worth looking at first class as less need to book seats and more comfortable.
snow report
@Chick, I remember that the "Nightjet" service from St. Anton takes a bit longer than the day time "Railjet", getting into Zurich main station at about 9.20 am.
So a flight departure out of ZRH at 11am is doable but tight. OBB "Railjet" is frequently on time, so allowing for a change of platform (5-10mins) at Zurich hbf, airport trains every 10-15mins, the train from hbf main station to airport takes about 10 mins. I would expect to be in the Swiss check-in area, by 10 am or a bit earlier. The Swiss check-in is just a couple of escalators up from the airport platforms. Check times here https://www.oebb.at/en/
snow report
@davidthornton, Thanks for the info very helpful. @munich_irish, If we book the train and our flights get delayed can we transfer to the next available train.
latest report
@Chick, The RailJet is brilliant from Zurich/Zurich Airport. The direct options are not too expensive off-peak, but a cheaper option can be the OBB with a couple of changes working out at as little as 17 Euros one way per person from Lech. The Trainline website can find all your options and prices.
ski holidays
Quote:
The Trainline website can find all your options and prices.

Prices are often cheaper on the ÖBB website https://www.oebb.at/en/
snow report
@skimastaaah, Train station in Lech? wink
snow conditions
@Chick, It depends on the ticket you have, flexible tickets are more expensive though you can generally pay to upgrade from a fixed train to a flexible one. The issue would be the train from Zürich HBf the regular trains from the airport should be no issue. The trains to St Anton run every 2 hours (the trains to Langen, for Lech/Zürs/Stuben, dont run from Zürich so you have to change) so it should be relatively easy to build in a sufficient time buffer to take into account any delays. One small tip, if you use the OEBB app to book (its in English too and you can use a computer browser if you are not keen on using your phone, it is generally the cheapest option for some reason) you can book seats for a couple of Euros without booking a ticket at the same time. So you can either book seats on multiple trains at a small cost or you can wait for a few hours beforehand when you are sure of your timings and book seats then.

You can also usually mix the type of tickets so maybe have a flexible one for arrival but a fixed one for departure as less "unknowns" (getting overenthusiastic in the Moose on your last night and so missing the train Toofy Grin ).
snow report
@munich_irish, We've used St.Anton station quite often, with taxi to Lech. Works out fine, and clearly much easier than changing trains...
ski holidays
@munich_irish, I think that you mean 'reserve' seats, this is the option for just a few Euros, irrespective of booking. If travelling on my own, for some space, I usually 'reserve' the seat opposite me or next to me without having to pay to book tickets for the seats.
On the OBB website you can check the coach plans for the seating arrangements and choose. I recommend a window seat on the left side of the coach, direction of travel is indicated.
If you're a group I'd strongly recommend reserving, but reserve anyway.
On the 'Nightjet' I have reserved seats and found the people sleeping all over the compartments, irrespective of bookings/reservations: this service is compartment carriages as well as bunk bed carriages. Maybe booking first class on this service is good.
A tip - If you do travel the train, make sure that you gather all your kit to the exit door as the train enters the Arlberg tunnel shortly after passing through Langen station, about 10 mins before St. Anton. This is because there will be a stampede for the door when the train pulls into St Anton. Friends have missed getting off and had to train back from Innsbruck.
This 'Railjet' service doesn't normally stop at Langen, which, as posted above is the station for Lech.
snow conditions
@davidthornton, I would say "book" & "reserve" mean the same thing in this context but we can always find something to argue about on this thread Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
One more tip to add… if you are leaving St Anton on Saturday morning, and can afford it, book first class. There is inevitably a serious crowd trying to get on, and then trying to make their way to their seats, especially in Economy. It resembles first lifts on a powder day! First class is somewhat less hectic.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy