Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lofoten Islands 2022: It's Been a Whale **Time for Some Photos...**

Poster: A snowHead
Day 6: Another trip out west and plan A was a well-known Lofoten classic; Stornappstind. However, the car park was thronging with three other cars so we rapidly changed to plan B, which turned out to be another @offpisteskiing bit of esoterica. First shot was a north ish facing slope and at this end of the islands, the land mass is quite small so the sea is omnipresent. It's difficult to get a sense of what it's like to ski here in photos: you either capture the skier without the context of the landscape or vice versa. However, I think this image and the next few get as close as you
can to what it actually feels like.

latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person

snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Views at the summit were predictably awesome

snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Team shot

snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Hewey on the descent

snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yet another disgusting blue hour when we returned to the lodge.

ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wonderful views, Great photos, thanks for sharing.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@JK, thanks!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Great stuff Sharkymark Very Happy Somewhere else to add to our ever-growing to do list on skis! Laughing

Were you a self-guided group, or were there any local guides involved? Mrs MA and I would need guides - so I think I'll start looking...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@mountainaddict, @offpisteskiing did guiding duties but the Lofoten Ski Lodge (where we stayed) work with Northern Alpine Guides if you want a guide. Probably the best option if you’ve not been before to at least get used to conditions. I’d say if you’re experienced in Scottish skiing, navigation, dealing with very changeable conditions then there are some excellent resources that give you routes and self guiding works well enough. @Hewey and I managed to keep ourselves alive on the last day.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mate is doing his own trip to Lyngseidet 2nd week of May, flying to Tromso and renting car, with his two sons, they've been a few times so know what's possible, be interesting to see how they get on.

Few photos I've seen from trips near Kiruna and Lyngen showing classic Spring snow conditions.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Weathercam, it was full on winter north of Tromsø until about a week ago and now it’s full spring
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hurrah, back at a big screen, so can enjoy these magnificent shots properly. Thanks so much for posting.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Hurtle, thanks. It’s not exactly been a hardship to do, to be fair!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I think there maybe something weird going on with how they’re displayed: they look softer on my big screen than they should be.
snow report
Day 7 part 1: The final day for most of the team so @offpisteskiing planned for something a bit special. We hired a RIB to get us into the Trollfjord, which is only accessible from the sea. Another zone I've waited 9 years to ski. We aimed to ski the main couloir of Store Trolltind and possibly the summit if conditions allowed. The summit is the main peak centre frame and the couloir is to the looker's left in the cleft between the rock walls.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 26-04-22 21:26; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
We shared our RIB with Neil McNab's team of boarders. They skied a line to our east; looking good and absolutely no sitting down. Well done, lads.

ski holidays
Unfortunately the upper slopes to the main summit were dangerously icy and despite a valiant attempt by @offpisteskiing's tame guide mate Chippie, it simply wasn't safe.
He ended up down-climbing in crampons 15m short of the summit. However, our lunch spot on the shoulder below the summit was exceptional: best one of the week. Absolute scenes.

latest report
@offpisteskiing negotiating some transient mist on the upper slopes above the main couloir, @DavidIdes in marginally better conditions and a couple of shots of Chippie dropping into the main couloir. A beautiful 40 deg pitch at the top that lessened off to 35 deg as the couloir fanned out. Fresh tracks and fantastic cold snow (with the odd bit of avalanche debris that may have caught a couple of us out)

snow report
Day 7 part 2: On the return trip, our RIB crew took it a little easier and gave us a tour with some extra special unicorn dust. I grabbed a seat in the bow to get some shots and fortunately it was mirror flat so shooting two-handed was on. Here we are nosing out of Trollfjord at 30 knots or so. It's a narrow fjord with 700m towers of rock either side.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 26-04-22 21:27; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@Sharkymark, wow. Again.
snow report
More absolute scenes once we'd left the fjord into the main channel south of the Lofoten Island of Austvågøya. He sped up to 327 knots at this point. The wind chill in the bow was savage Laughing . This part of Lofoten is home to the highest, steepest and most impressive terrain (IMHO). This is amplified when the mountains rise straight of the sea as they do here.

snow report
I love the west coast of Scotland because the mountains rise out of the sea. But this is something else again. Shocked
snow conditions
Our skipper had one last surprise in store: we headed to a rocky outcrop just offshore and within minutes we were surrounded by a dozen or so white-tailed sea eagles. They were almost hunted to extinction before being protected in 1978 and now the population is very healthy. These things are MASSIVE. The adults have a wingspan of up to 2.4m (not a typo). We 'happened' to have some frozen pollack to hand and seeing these beasts plucking the fish out of the water next to boat with extreme precision was awesome in all senses of the word. Bit difficult to photograph though: not quite Wildlife Photographer of the Year just yet haha Laughing Epic is overused (often by me rolling eyes ) but this day actually was.

snow conditions
OK. Now just lost for words.
latest report
@Hurtle, this was truly peak Lofoten. Bonus day 8 wasn't quite the same Laughing
snow report
@Sharkymark, I dunno - that followed by a day scrabbling around in zero vis and rain seems pretty proto-Lofoten to me Laughing
snow report
Sharkymark wrote:
More absolute scenes once we'd left the fjord into the main channel south of the Lofoten Island of Austvågøya. He sped up to 327 knots at this point. The wind chill in the bow was savage Laughing . This part of Lofoten is home to the highest, steepest and most impressive terrain (IMHO). This is amplified when the mountains rise straight of the sea as they do here.

Love this snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Arno, funny you should say that…
latest report
Looks like an epic trip, and some great photography. Jealous me? Not much, honest.
ski holidays
Thanks re the guiding etc info Sharkymark.
snow report
@rogg, thanks! It certainly was
snow report
@mountainaddict, no worries snowHead
snow conditions
Bonus day 8: @Hewey and I managed to bag an extra day's skiing due to SAS bumping our flights. However, we awoke to heavy snow in liquid form, a howling gale and a cloud base at approximately sea level. @offpisteskiing sent us a bantastic 'how's the rain?' text from the airport but obviously, being Lofoten, wait 5 mins and everything will change, which it did. Not exactly a bluebird powder day but ended up doing our second biggest day of vert along with every other group from the lodge on a local classic, Rundjfellet. My 37th a final day of the season. Bang on snowHead

ski holidays
Fantabulous
ski holidays
Anyone done this one? Is that a good itinerary?
https://www.norwegianadventurecompany.com/en/destinations/arctic-haute-route
snow report
@BobinCH, no but the itinerary looks excellent: I really want to ski Senja. Pricing is very Scandinavian.
latest report
@BobinCH, @Sharkymark, mates back from Svalbard last week.

Pictures include Polar bears, guides packing rifles etc etc

Was one hell of a trip

https://www.facebook.com/stefan.palm.77
snow report
Looks amazing

An adventure trip with skiing

I'm guessing it's 'sell a kidney' expensive
snow conditions
Mike Pow wrote:
.....I'm guessing it's 'sell a kidney' expensive.....

Good phrase, and think it was around 5k for the week before flights etc

I didn't get any FOMO as it was so late in the year plus I was down in Spain for just over four weeks and that was cheaper!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy