Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Challanging avalanche conditions in Northern Norway

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A gentle warning to everyone heading up to Northern Norway and particulary the Lyngen/Kvaløya in the near future. The avalanche situation is really diffucult at the moment with a persistant weak layer far up in in snow. Last week, a german was killed and 3 french were killed in an avalanche on a very popular route today. With the forecasts we see today, This weak layer might last for weeks. I am heading up next Thursday and do not think that I will ski slopes above 27/28 degrees.

Please read the daily avalanche bulletin published every day:

https://www.varsom.no/en/avalanche-bulletins/

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 7-04-22 16:47; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sad news ...

My limited experience of Lyngen is that PWL seem to be a common feature. It a cold / dry arctic climate : so snow pack tends to be more continental than maritime despite proximity to ocean.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've done five trips up there and all were predominately Spring snow but it was later in the month going into April.

As I type this blasting going on up the hill which has not occurred much this season here, and that's probably to dislodge the fresh snow that's rapidly turning into concrete, though I might go up and take a look but suspect will not be for long.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Woosh wrote:
A gentle warning to everyone heading up to Northern Norway and particulary the Lyngen/Kvaløya in the near future. The avalanche situation is really diffucult at the moment with a persistant weak layer far up in in snow. Last week, a german was killed and 3 french were killed in an avalanche on a very popular route today. With the forecasts we see today, This weak layer might last for weeks. I am heading up next Thursday and do not think that I will ski slopes above 27/28 degrees.

Had some friends in Lofoten last week who seemed to have great conditions. Assume Lyngen has a different snowpack?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@BobinCH, conditions were very good in Lofoten last week according to my local sources (heading there today…), though there has also been a pwl lurking so not full ‘green light’…
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
BobinCH wrote:

Had some friends in Lofoten last week who seemed to have great conditions. Assume Lyngen has a different snowpack?

The problem seems to be the mild weather they had in March. When it became much colder and a lot snow was transported with the wind and then frooze, conditions are more like Januray/February. You have a persistant weak layer and then a block above it with icy snow. It is really dangerous and very diffucult to spot. There were a lot of avalanche activity in Northern Norway last week as well (with accidents with major injuries, but not fatal), particulary in the weekend. But those were north of Lofoten, for example a huge one in Senja. I think the problem has been less of an issue in Lofoten (this is a guess), but according to the avalanche forecast, Lofoten also has a persistant weak layer.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
https://www.regobs.no/registration/300925

Som pictures from the avalanche yday.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Woosh, Lofoten does have a slightly different snowpack to the mainland but yes, I read the latest avi report and there's a buried weak layer. Not as deeply buried as Lyngen.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@offpisteskiing, snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Woosh wrote:

How was your trip? Did the snowpack consolidate much? Heading up to Lyngen a week on Saturday so hoping for more stable conditions.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy