Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Board Bag

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So after around 20 years my old Dakine roller bag has died. The remaining main side handle has pulled off, the strap has pulled the stitching and reinforcing patch through the material. It's now dead.

So, suggestions please. I was looking at another Dakine High Roller, but then saw a Rome Cache LINK. It looks well designed and detailed, good storage, just what the doctor ordered. I live here on the West Coast of the ROI and snowboard shops aren't exactly plentiful, so I can't check one out. Has anyone got (or seen) one of these, or any other Rome luggage? Any quality views?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Looked at one a while back - nice piece, good for moving more than one board around with you, and good for lots of space, but it is pricy and about 50% heavier than a Dakine High roller which may be important to you if you're flying.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I do fly, not much choice from Ireland, and I take the point, but most times I've more than enough weight. It looks to be 5.0kgs from one website, someone at BlueTomato is currently off weighing one in the warehouse for me (along with a high roller).

The dakine stuff I've bought recently (mainly surfboard bags, backpack, tailpads for surfboards) seems to be of a lesser quality than previously. I looked at a low roller in resort and frankly it felt pretty flimsy.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've got a second hand Dakine High Roller I bought on eBay and keep meaning to get rid of. Too long and too heavy for my general purposes. I even uploaded some pics on here before I think.

What length bag are you looking for?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm pretty sold on the Rome one, in a 168. I turns out it weighs 2.6kg and quality is pretty much on a par between the brands. More space, lighter weight. Decision made.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Don't blame you if it is that light. The old Dakine one I've got is pretty heavy (about 4kg I think from memory) and longer than I really need (think it's advertised as 165 which is 9cm longer than my current longest board) so only really likely to get used if I drive to the slopes or train it and want to work my lats!

If you change your mind, let me know and I can try to sort out pics. Oh and Happy St Patrick's Day Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That is much lighter than I thought - maybe they've changed the construction. But if they've weighed it for you, then sounds good.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's ordered, so I'll let you all know what I think when it arrives. I think somewhere on their site (or another) it says 5000g which seemed like a really unlikely unit/measurement so I got them to check.

And Happy Paddies day to one and all.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
So the bag has arrived.

Initial thoughts are very positive.

I think it's a bit lighter than the outgoing low roller, but my scales don't want to register the low weight. Not sure my kitchen scales would be too happy either.

General construction seems a little more floppy than the iold bag, but the outer facing (900d nylon) feels pretty tough, same thickness of padding and what feels like identical tarp type lining. Interesting that the 'stiff' section with the wheels only seems to come up the length of the bag by a third, rather than a half, and It's possibly not quite as stiff either. There's an additional stiffener at the handle end which seems to be a little less than a third, so the only unstiffened bit is on the middle .

Storage is generous, internal detatchable boot bag, two big enough outer pockets. Size is a little bigger than the outgoing Dakine.

What does feel really much better are the grab handles, straps and the way the bag has been reinforced. It does feel very very Burly, to use hip marketing language. All the handles are well padded and the webbing is stitched to large lengths of webbing to spread any load. Nice.

Overall well happy.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@rogg, stand on your scales with the bag, then again without the bag … check the difference is readings
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I know how to do it, just can’t be arsed.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@rogg, can your new bag accommodate a pair of 170cm skies and ski boots??
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The bag is supposed to be 168 long, my 162 snowboard was surprisingly snug end to end. The skis might well fit and boots probably, It's a beautifully made bag, but it has got an awful lot of Rome branding on it, which might not go down too well with your skier mates. Cool
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy